[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aztecs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 50
File: aztec.jpg (62 KB, 480x353) Image search: [Google]
aztec.jpg
62 KB, 480x353
Tell me everything you know about Aztecs
>>
if you meet the aztecs they would pull out your still beating heart as an offering to quetzalcoatl and believe they were doing you a favor
>>
>>894807
What would you like to know? Like facts or a freaking summary of all their history and culture?
>>
>>894828
Facts and interesting things pls
>>
Degenerate Satanic pagans.
>>
File: BRAVO4.jpg (593 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
BRAVO4.jpg
593 KB, 1200x900
>>894807
They were btfo by 20(00) good men
>>
File: 3c01695u.jpg (70 KB, 385x341) Image search: [Google]
3c01695u.jpg
70 KB, 385x341
>>894840
Ok, the Night of Sorrows always interested me.
> The Spanish were occupying tenochtitlán and holding Montazuma II hostage cause they didn't trust him
> Cortes gets word that the Vicroy of Cuba sent exposition to arrest Cortes and leaves to take care of them
> leaves Alvarado in command of troops in the city
> Alvarado thinks Aztecs are up to no good and plotting to attack
> Alvarado kills several nobles and high priests during spring feastival
>BadIdea.terrancepainting
> locals go apeshit start attacking soilders and laying seige to the complex that their keeping Montazuma hostage
> by the time Cortes vets back they've already elected a new leader
> Cortes tells Montazuma to have his people chill the fuck out
> Montazuma speaks to them on a terrace and asks for calm
> Locals aren't having any of it, start getting him and eventually kill him by pelting him with stones and darts
> Cortes realizes he needs to get the fuck out of the city and tells his soilders to take as much gold as they can carry
> Spanish attempt to sneak out of city in middle of the night
>get spotted and are attacked
> many die from being encumbered from all their gold and obsticles in the streets and causeway
> Cortes is able to fight is way out and accross the causeway but only after leaving many of this men to their fate
> numbers vary from 100 to over 1000 lost, it is believed that many of the captured spanaids were sacrificed
> Cortes would eventually get his revenge and ravage the city
Shit was brutal
>>
File: Templo Mayor Precint.png (2 MB, 1277x552) Image search: [Google]
Templo Mayor Precint.png
2 MB, 1277x552
>>895113
>locals go apeshit
>Cortes would eventually get his revenge
>revenge
In the heart of festival Alvarado blocked the exits of the precinct and killed 8000 to 10 000 unarmed nobles, being many of them commanders of the Aztec army.
>>
>>895229
I meant more along the lines of personal revenge. Conquistadors were all pretty much a holes, especially Pizzaro
>>
a mighty and savage people, that practiced human sacrifices, hated by their neighbors for the practice, and the wars they pursued against them
>>
Have good are the arguments of those that claim that the stories of human sacrifice and cannibalism was mostly just Spanish propaganda?
As I gets it archelogical evidence mostly points towards the Spanish story being true.
>>
File: img003.jpg (370 KB, 1442x1063) Image search: [Google]
img003.jpg
370 KB, 1442x1063
>>895305
>hated by their neighbors for the practice, and the wars they pursued against them
I agree with the last part, but everyone in Mesoamerica practiced sacrifice.
Pic related comes from a Mixtec codex.
>>
What was the most advanced culture in the Americas? Incas, Mayas, Aztecs?
>>
>>894821
That depends on the context.
>>
>>895229
>Alvarado blocked the exits of the precinct and killed 8000 to 10 000 unarmed nobles, being many of them commanders of the Aztec army
BTFO
T
F
O
>>
Aztec philosophy by Jim Maffie. He wrote a good book on the same subject, I recommend it. It's a breadth of fresh air amidst all the new age and aztlan/mexica movement bullshit.

Also recommend the books by Miguel Leon Portilla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uaIeY-FGpI
>>
>>896424
Incas and Mayas
>>
>>894807
The Aztecs were complete savages. At one point they had a ceremony were for three days they did nothing but sacrifices. They literally lined up prisoners and made them wait for three days to get their heart ripped out. The Spanish did gods work getting rid of them.
>>
>>895306
So far there's no archaeological evidence of that whatsoever, nor any firsthand accounts of it, nor any precedent. Tales of that arose during pitches to the king much much later, and in Europe, not the americas. There's no reason to think it was true, and all reason to think this claims were dubious attempts at mustering more $ and men to send, since exaggerated claims of savagery to suit your needs has been standard practice since the beginning of recorded history.
>>
>>894807

>why did the aztec die during the religious ceremony?
>he lost heart

needs work, but most of it's there.
>>
>>896778
Are you sure you're not talking about the Spartans, the Assyrians, the Gauls, the Celts, or several religious sects of Romans, etc etc etc? Because up until very, very recently, nearly everyone else in the world did that shit, and almost immediately after they stopped, stories of it continuing started getting told about how mysterious tribes few knew anything about were out there doing it & needed to be destroyed because of it.
>>
>>896878
The amount of human sacrifice in the Aztec civilization is not even comparable to the rest of the world. They would sacrifice thousands of people at a time in religious ceremonies. I cant think of any other group of people who would build a temple and then celebrate by sacrificing thousands of prisoners of war in a process that would take days. While all the groups you listed did sacrifice people, they never did it in the scale the Aztecs did. Its one of the main reasons Cortes found so much support in central america initially. The other tribes were sick of the Aztecs beating them in wars and than proceeding to sacrifice all the captured prisoners.
>>
>>896846
Anon while that's certainly true for the inca and maya and most all the North American tribes, the aztecs, like the southwest North American tribes, were shaped by fighting the Mexicans back fir millenia, increasing in brutality over time with no end. Consider the stories of the last of the southwestern Chiefs and the American armies that had the extreme displeasure of fighting them all the way on up to WWI. The US General described them as "The Tigers Of The Human Species". When they attacked, they were extremely fast, horrifically violent, extremely effective, and would disappear back into treacherous terrain in an instant. It took hundreds of US Soldiers with a modern industrial military decades to weed Geronimo's final small band of less than 40 warriors out of the rocky canyons out there. Little did the US know at the time, the value that those brutal people brought, to defending the southern lands from the northward March of the Mexicans fir all those centuries. Figuring it out now though.
>>
>>896899
The Assyrians were pretty fucking brutal though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaying#The_Assyrian_tradition
>>
>>896899
>Comparing the Aztecs to the Assyrians or the Mongols.

Wat u doin m80? ...cause it's not reading your history.
>>
>>896913
Never knew about that. Thank you

>>896918
The Mongols never had religious ceremonies were they killed thousands of people. They wanted to conquer and rape. Still awful but for different reasons.
>>
>>896922
They didn't need religion to back it up. It was the culture of the Steppe. And the walls they erected out of the bodies they stacked up encircling the burning societies they sacked, millions and tens of millions at a time, with assembly lines for decapitations and dismemberments and moving that amount of cadavers and blood, is unparalleled in world history.

After the Mongols, only yeah, probably th Assyrians were close, then your Huns, Goths, Scythians, Magyars, Visigoths, Carpathians, Achemenids, Meads, Bulgars, Aztecs, Apaches, Comanches, etc etc etc... then a long way down the list you have your Nazis, Stalinists, and assorted short-term genicidal leaders.
>>
>>896899
It's unfortunate that when the Spanish arrived they didn't first meet the Aztecs. Could have set back the European hemispherecide long enough to find the treatment for smallpox, and get a more functional world out of the deal.
>>
>>896878

Every piece of Aztec myth and culture was bound to death and killing. Death and sacrifices kept the society going for them.
>>
nahuas are poorfags that occupy the lowest-tier jobs and are discriminated against
>>
>>897034
>Base your nationalism on Aztec and Mayan mythology
>Brutally opress any remaining Aztecs and Mayas
How does the Mexicans make that equation work?
>>
>>897038
>Mexicans
>Making that equation work

Andalé
>>
>>897038
The Mexicans are about to get a taste of their own medicine when USA boots out 1/3 of its Mexicans and the turmoil therein and at the border towns becomes a liability to national security, and USA finally decides to start moving the border south, demolishing TJ and Juarez and annexing the territory in a no-mans land.
>>
>>897104
I want to see this happen.
Make murrica great again.
>>
If they hadnt been fuckin assholes to conquered tribes theyd still be around today. Dug their own graves really. Sad
>>
>>897174
they're still around. some of them are probably at your local home depot
>>
monkey manlets vs italian wars veterans.

how they would be able to continue existing
>>
>>897178
Not where I live m8 just scotchirish crackheads
>>
>>897199
That's hate speech!
Remember the potato plague!
>>
File: historia.jpg (64 KB, 640x330) Image search: [Google]
historia.jpg
64 KB, 640x330
>>894807
The Aztecs practiced sacrifice because to them, sacrifice was what kept the world going. The gods sacrificed their blood to keep the sun moving and the Aztecs in turn made their sacrifices so that the gods could continue keeping the sun moving. The exact form of sacrifice depended on the gods, and it didn't always involve killing something, it might instead be ritualized bloodletting or something.

I'm not an expert on this stuff though, but I could dig up some more info.
>>
>>897294
This link looks promising:
http://www.history-aztec.com/
>>
File: conquistador de corazones.png (272 KB, 817x669) Image search: [Google]
conquistador de corazones.png
272 KB, 817x669
>>894807
Their women are great
>>
>>896424
Incas all the way
>>
>>896979
Because death and sacrifices were part of the same duality as life. In the Aztec world view you cannot have life without death first.
>>
>>896979
That's pretty badass.
>>
>>897495
Exactly. All the food that you ate today was part of a living being, who died to bring you life.
They believed that humans were in debt with the world and had to repay it.
>>
>>896899
What's the difference in killing them ritually later when they otherwise would have killed them in battle? They still died, some were even given opportunities to have freedom. The Aztecs at times went with the intent to capture not kill their enemies for their rituals. I just don't see how human sacrifices are worst than outright killing on the battlefield and entire massacres of towns. Also the ideology of the sacrifices was to ensure the survival of the community. And it was generally considered an honor to be a chosen offering.
>>
>>894821
Quetzalcoatl didn't liked human sacrifice
>>
File: anecdotes.jpg (381 KB, 1194x658) Image search: [Google]
anecdotes.jpg
381 KB, 1194x658
>>897188
>>
File: Quetzalcoatl bloodletting.jpg (173 KB, 540x641) Image search: [Google]
Quetzalcoatl bloodletting.jpg
173 KB, 540x641
>>897294
>The exact form of sacrifice depended on the gods, and it didn't always involve killing something, it might instead be ritualized bloodletting or something.
A clear example would be Quetzalcoatl, who only demanded jade, snakes and butterflies as sacrifices.
However, Aztec nobles regularly offered blood by piercing their body.
>>
>>897104
Calm down /pol/fag
>>
>>895229
Good, the Aztecs were fucking savages.
>>
>>897998
I almost forgot, Díaz del Castillo is alluding to the Aztecs and Aguilar to the Tlaxcalans, but the Anonymous Conquistador doesn't mention the warrior's background.
>>
File: Hispanicrace.jpg (89 KB, 970x909) Image search: [Google]
Hispanicrace.jpg
89 KB, 970x909
>>897129
kek
>>
>>894840
According to Díaz del Castillo, there were bisons in Montezuma's zoo:
“It has crooked Shoulders, with a Bunch on its Back like a Camel; its Flanks dry, its Tail large, and its Neck cover’d with Hair like a Lion. It is cloven footed, its Head armed like that of a Bull, which it resembles in Fierceness, with no less strength and Agility.”
>>
>>894807
they always spam jaguars at me

also they backstabbed me once when we were allied the whole game... still got a science victory because they tried to send musket and rifle units against well defended mechanized infantry
>>
>>901750
Also, Moctezuma kept a human and animal zoo and aquarium. In his human zoo he kept dwarves and hunchbacks which served as entertainment and part time advisors.
>>
>>901799
Whats with dwarves and hunchbacks being kept as advisors and wisemen? The Incas did the same thing and it seems like it was common in the Andes through different periods. Very intetesting.
>>
During the Xipe Totec ritual a young male accolyte priest of the sacrificed women's approximate age and size, drugged on hallucinogens, would be put into her skin which was stitched up the back... His penis and testicles were put through the hole of her tender parts. The shrinkage of her skin because of the daytime heat would force him to erection. Meanwhile, other priests would speedily de-flesh the girl's thigh bones and hand them to the accolyte. He would immediately twirl out of the temple back into the sunlight before the audience of thousands. It was meant to appear that she'd simply twirled in and back out again.

As the music continued the "reborn" Xipe Totec would dance down the stairs carrying the thigh bones with him. Once on the ground he'd continue to dance wildly and swing the bones around. It was considered quite a blessing to be tapped by one of the thigh bones. The audience would press forward. And although sexual displays of any kind were rare among the Aztecs, in this case it was considered a particularly good sign if the accolyte would ejaculate during the dance. Getting hit with that was a blessing without compare.
>>
File: image.jpg (165 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165 KB, 800x600
>>896878
>Europe 2000+ years ago
>Americas 500 years ago
>very recently
O I'm laffin son
>>
>>902537
WTF i hate aztecs now
>>
>>895306
I'm writing a paper on the conquest as we speak.

Human sacrifice was very much a thing. War dominated Aztec society and culture so completely that it became ingrained into their religion. The taking of captives to sacrifice to the gods was incorporated into the religion as a way to help Aztecs consolidate their power through raids.

I really haven't found a lot of great sources on the cannibalism thing though.
>>
Mexicans like to claim they are Aztecs. So they can justify their Atzlan bullshit.
>>
>>902665
They are Aztecs though. Just whats left of them after years of breeding with europeans
>>
File: do I rly have to remind u this.jpg (149 KB, 736x490) Image search: [Google]
do I rly have to remind u this.jpg
149 KB, 736x490
>>902614
>>
>>903068
The iron maiden is a meme.
>>
File: Tlacaxipehualiztli.jpg (493 KB, 1200x928) Image search: [Google]
Tlacaxipehualiztli.jpg
493 KB, 1200x928
>>902537
Source?
Only result in google literally comes from stormfront:
https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t918100-5/?postcount=49#post10668012
Every description of the rituals of Tlacaxipehualiztli indicates that this is what happened:

>During the second month of the Solar Calendar, which according to Durán begins on March 21, the Aztecs used to organize 'gladiatorial' combats between their highest military ranks and the enemy elite warriors and commanders that were captured in battle. As part of the festival, nobles from all Mesoamerica were invited to witness these combats.
Nevertheless, only the Aztec warrior would fight with an obsidian weapon and his movement wouldn't be limited due to being attached to the sacrificial stone. The battle would be over when the Aztec warrior was unconcious or when he managed to bleed enough his foe.
Usually the first combatant for the captured warrior would be his captor and if the latter was victorious he would face several other contenders.
A famous Tlaxcalan warrior, Tlahuicole, was granted his liberty after killing 8 warriors and defeating 20 more but he prefered to be sacrificed than bring dishonor to his country's name.
>>
>>896424
Aztecs or Mayans. Incas didn't even have a writing system.
>>
I want to believe.
>>
>>903079
>mfw they fought in cosplay
>>
>>903079
>Tlacaxipehualiztli
?

The post was about Xipe Totec.
>>
Is it biased history or were the Aztecs really a basically evil civilization?
>>
>>903157
mostly biased history

They did a lot of shit that would be considered evil by most people today, but honestly, what civilization didn't?
>>
>>903161
I mean, mass slaughter of tens of thousands of people a year on the altars is relatively evil, evenjoy in the context of the world in 1500 CE.
>>
>>902260

The indian gods were kind of "lovecraftian" i would say.
Those people were deformed because they had been touched by a god in the womb and so, they had some astrology powers and subtle advice magic.
>>
>>903167
Oh there is no doubt they did horrific shit.

But like I said, so did most other major civilizations. The Aztecs just have a bad rap because they did it in a spooky Temple of Doom kind of way.

Plus theres all that "evil is relative" crap.
>>
>>903167

The spaniards massacred a whole continent, not even counting the smallpox, for GOLD.
Let it sink for a while.
>>
>>903170
The only parallel I think could be drawn from that same time period would be witch burnings and the execution of heretics in Christian Europe. But nobody besides the Mesoamericans had blood sacrifice like that.
>>
>>903172
The Spanish conquered an entire continent and enslaved it to produce gold, silver, etc. They didn't set put to purposely murder everyone ala the Aztecs, who collected tribute in the form of captives who would be ritually murdered and occasionally consumed.

Despite the reprehensible a tons of the Spanish, they were greedy, not genocidal. Oh, and they didn't eat the flesh of their victims or dedicate their still beating hearts to the sun god.
>>
>>903174
>that same time period

Is this taking into account that the Mesoamericans were also several thousand years behind the rest of the world?
>>
I think the best thing about early societies like this (from the Nahua to the Inca to the Egyptians, to the Sumerians) is that all their taxes were paid with draft rotary labor. The Aztecs called the system, "the snake that bites everyone". Somethinsomethincoatl. You know they love their calcos and xochis and coatls and quetzals. Instead of giving up part of their own grown food or money. That way they worked the land for their food and cash crops when they were in season, and when they weren't, that was when they were called upon for labor projects for the nobles. Yet, they still had a high degree of spexalization of labor. The nobles kept retainers of stone masons, sculptors, scribes, etc. Their entourages were just as keen as the Pharoahs. Unlike the mayan nobles before them who had (like the Inca) looked /down/ on writing as something for the commoners, not those blessed by the forces that be to rule, whose scribes served only to bring information too and fro and communicate the will of the nobility and conduct business, the Aztecs embraced writing for their own noble glorification. To read was to be like the rabbit, the cleverest animal. Wit and cunning figure heavily in their tradition; their legends feature guile as much as any greek myths.

The Nahua altepetl traded regional hegemony with each other often, much like the Sumerian cities of Ur, Uruk, and later Akkad, Assur, and even Babylon. However, unlike their Mesopotamian bros, the Nahua didn't put cities to the torch, nor was there mass-enslavement. They engaged in a much more civilized, rather sci-fi alien-sounding concept of the "flower war", or Xochiyaoyotl. The nobles of the various altepetl would send out runners and would agree on the time and place to send their warriors, who were mostly of a warrior class of lower nobility, and occassionally nobles, and sometimes royalty (who were all treated in a manner you'd expect of their rank). Those who were captured could be enslaved, or sacrificed. 1/2
>>
>>903184
>Several thousand years behind

Disagree. They had advanced astronomy, timekeeping, writing, metalworking. They weren't behind, the just developed differently.

But they still kept the convention of human sacrifice... unlike the entire rest of the world.
>>
>>903182

No, they sacrifices entire cities in the altar of GREED.
I think I'll trust the aztecs more, at least their intention was good, to feed the sun FOR EVERYONE.
>>
>>903190
Literally the only true parts of that statement were the astronomy and timekeeping.

Their conventional weapon was a stick with rocks stuck in it.
>>
>>903191
The intention of the Aztecs was inherently selfish, to ensure that their gods were pacified by sacrificing the tens of thousands of prisoners and tributes they collected from their empire. It was about keeping the lights on for the Aztec people, not the whole world.

Also... just gotta say, you're defending ritual murder to a nonexistent sun god right now, as if it was the right thing to do.
>>
>>903187
>Somethinsomethincoatl
top kek
>>
>>903196
They definitely had writing, and metalworking doesn't just refer to steel, where do you think all the gold and silver in the Aztec Empire came from?

Everything I said was true. The Mesoamericans were extremely advanced in many ways. Tenochtitlan was reportedly bugger and cleaner than any city the conquistadors had ever seen. This added to the shock when they discovered the abbatoirs of the Aztec temples.
>>
>>903198

Youre defending crossing the ocean to sack cities to get their gold and silver, to buy more weapons and sheeiit, like good modern niggers.
It's not a little bit better in my opinon. Christian and everything, the spaniards didn't behave better than the standard 900 a.c. viking.
>>
>>903187
Nahua Altepetl were very safe places for women and children to live in, as it was only ever a power struggle between men, and warriors at that. They wouldn't sacrifice good craftsman or farmers; that shit would never fly. You can't just have a society where you're constantly under threat of sacrifice. Nobody would buy into that. Whoever was sacrificed was almost always voluntarily in a position to be sacrificed. It was a noble thing, to give your life to continue the forces of nature (who were loosely represented and anthropomorphized as gods). They generally didn't sacrifice more than they believed they had to, which wasn't that much, usually. In times of great stress, yes, they would absolutely sacrifice. And the reason they would do so is because it lessens the population of those who were eating the finest foods, the most noble. The peasants saw this as the nobles giving of themselves to continue their cycle of life. That's what kept them noble. That's what made their peasants so chill.

When the Encomenderos came in and basically enforced feudal serfdom on them, the robot in the strictest sense, they *hated it*. They painted their gods and their legends into the frescoes on the christian churches they were forced to decorate.
>>
>>903206
Okay, well let me ask you this:

Why were the Aztecs so evil then? What makes a civilization "inherently evil"? Was it just down to the indigenous peoples having nothing but concentrated evil in their souls and cell structures?
>>
>>903206
you get gold and silver by finding it and then digging where you find it kind knocking off some of the dirt

you're blowing their written symbols and metalworking skills up as more developed than they are. mesoamerican civilizations were significantly "behind" the old world.
>>
>>903182
A genocide motivated by greed is still a genocide senpai. You know your ways (encomienda, mita, resguardo) will wipe out a huge number of individuals, "don't care, is for money" would not be precisely a fair justification.
>>
>>903209
Show me where I defended the spanish. I didnt. I simply refuted you.

You said the Spanish murdered everybody in the new world, I told you that was wrong.

You said the Spanish sacrificed whole cities on the altar of greed, I countered that the Aztecs killed millions in the name of their sun god and war god.

The Spanish enslaved, raped, and killed their way to dominance in the new world, but that is still distinct from a system of ritual genocide practiced by the Aztecs.
>>
>>903196
Or a bronze axe, who knows right? Oh wait, we do know.
>>
>>903224

You can only know it was wrong in hindsight. This is everything that is wrong with armchair historians nowadays.
Yes they sacrificed people, but they seriously believed, in their hearts, that it was necessary, and an honor, to feed the gods that way.
Just like the people of Salem though it was necessary to get rid of witches, and a certain pope felt necesary and just to go to war for the right to pilgrimage, or how mohammad felt it was correct to go and make jihad... and so on and so on with all religions.

Getting your heart out sounds much more brutal than dying in combat, but it really isn't, ancient soldiers got maimed, stabbed in the eyes and shit and bled out on the battlefield by the thousands.

I never said the spaniards killed eveything by the way.
>>
>judging any old culture relative to your culture
>>
>>903190

>They had advanced astronomy, timekeeping, writing, metalworking

so did the Harappa, 5000 years ago.
>>
>>903229
Bronze Age

Near East (c. 3300–1200 BC)

Anatolia, Caucasus, Elam, Egypt, Levant, Mesopotamia, Sistan, Canaan (Phoenicia)
Bronze Age collapse
South Asia (c. 3000– 1200 BC)

Ochre Coloured Pottery
Cemetery H
Europe (c. 3200–600 BC)

Aegean, Caucasus, Catacomb culture, Srubna culture, Beaker culture, Unetice culture, Tumulus culture, Urnfield culture, Hallstatt culture, Apennine culture, Canegrate culture, Golasecca culture,
Atlantic Bronze Age, Bronze Age Britain, Nordic Bronze Age
China (c. 2000–700 BC)

Erlitou, Erligang
>>
>>903182
The Aztecs did it to save the world. They were heroes.
>>
File: manly_tears.jpg (18 KB, 244x320) Image search: [Google]
manly_tears.jpg
18 KB, 244x320
>>903275

The heroes we needed but not the ones we deserved.
>>
>>903122
Wrong. the Inca "wrote" by tying various knots into lengths of string, with different types and arrangements of knots meaning different things.
>>
>>903139
Which was the month dedicated to him.
>>
>>903182
>Despite the reprehensible a tons of the Spanish, they were greedy, not genocidal.
>

>>895113
>The Spanish were occupying tenochtitlán and holding Montazuma II hostage cause they didn't trust him

>>895229
Alvarado blocked the exits of the precinct and killed 8000 to 10 000 unarmed nobles
>>
>>894807
They lived in modern day Mexico I think
They had pyramids and gold shit
They lost to the Spanish
They cut out peoples' hearts
They had weird spiky sword things
>>
>>896878
Aztecs revolved around slave sacrifice, unlike all those other cultures that have amazing other aspects
>>
>>903451
>various knots into lengths of string
It was called "Quipu".
It was used for acconting different "economic" sources along the Tawantisuyo or Inca empire.
>>
>>903206
>Mesoamericans
>extremely advanced

No.

The Maya are considered to be the most advanced, and only because they had a writing system. Other than that, completely inferior in every single aspect. Even their buildings. Pyramidal structures are the most basic form of architecture: hence the ziggurats and mounds being the first examples of human architectural feats.
>>
>>897581
How do you know what a non existing God likes and doesn't like?
>>
>>904822
Certainly, prisoners of war who were not used as human sacrifices became slaves, but it should be mentioned that individuals could also become slaves (tlacotin) as a form of punishment for certain crimes or for failure to pay tribute. Additionally, an individual could voluntarily sell himself or his children into slavery to pay back a debt (the latter required permission of the court).
Slaves had the right to marry, to have children, to substitute another individual in their place, and to buy their freedom. Slaveowners were responsible for housing and feeding their slaves, and slaves generally could not be resold. They were usually freed when their owners died, and could also gain their freedom by marrying their owner. Aztecs were not born slaves and could not inherit this status from their parents.
>>
>>903079
Apocalypto was a fantastic movie, but it was seriously lacking battle pajamas.
>>
>>894807
they had the most based god names ever... quetzalcoatl, huitzilopocli and such...
>>
>>894807
Irrelevant failed empire.

They dropped out of the game many many turns ago, why are you still worried about them?
>>
>>902260
>Whats with dwarves and hunchbacks being kept as advisors and wisemen? The Incas did the same thing

They didnt, the people with deformities like 6 fingers and oddities such as lightning bolt-shaped burn marks were seen as people marked by the gods (in a good or bad way), some of them were worshiped as little minor gods and others as the ones with lightning marks believed they could wake wizard powers (this one was a very special case).
But the Incas(the nobles) didnt believe that dwarves and hunchbacks were automatically wise just for being so and certainly they didn't adore them or were keep as advisers, what is certain is that some of them were used as servants for female nobility.
>>
>>902537
I'm calling bullshit.
>>
File: xipe.jpg (153 KB, 601x649) Image search: [Google]
xipe.jpg
153 KB, 601x649
>>906438
What's bullshit?
>>
>>897038
>Brutally opress any remaining Aztecs and Mayas

There are 0 Aztecs left. They have long been integrated into modern society. Sure, there are people who can still speak Náhuatl, but they have none of the Aztec culture/traditions in them. You'll only find that shit in museums and tourists hot spots.

Maya communities are still a thing though.

As for the use of mythology, well during the Independence they needed something to create a national identity separate from Spain and that was the well they had to draw from.
>>
>>900520
Hispanics are actually seeing a baby bust at the moment and their numbers are dropping.

The only group in the USA to be experiencing growth at the moment is southern and Midwestern whites.
>>
>>904713
>They lived in modern day Mexico I think
Aztecs where called Mexicas...MEXICas
>>
>>901799
He also kept a different zoo strictly for different sort of birds. It was so large that it had it's own ornithological hospital for the birds. Also this zoo also contained albino humans.
>>
>>897104
Does juan fucks your mom?
>>
File: Yaxchilan Bridge.jpg (306 KB, 606x390) Image search: [Google]
Yaxchilan Bridge.jpg
306 KB, 606x390
>>904843
They had arches and a suspensión bridge built in the 7th century.
>>
>>897104
>The Mexicans are about to get a taste of their own medicine when USA boots out 1/3 of its Mexicans

We can't and anyone that disagrees doesn't understand the justice system. Each one of those millions of illegals has to have a trial, if we started today we'd finish in about 8 decades. So no, we're not deporting every illegal, more than likely we're going to give them some sort of amnesty after securing the border.
>>
they sacrificed penises of their enemies to their molest gods until conquistadors infected them with AIDS
>>
>>910915
Illegals aren't part of the fucking justice system you mong. Their only crime is being here illegally, so we send them back.
>but how do you prove it
Papers. If they don't have papers in their home they get sent back. It's a really goddamn simple operation and we've done it before under Truman.
>>
>>910963
Or Eisenhower I forget which.
>>
>>910963
>Illegals aren't part of the fucking justice system
They get trials and hearings so they objectively are.

>we've done it before under Truman.

It doesn't matter, here in 2016 we have laws and precedents and they establish that upon capture illegals are entitled to a trial as happens for every single deportation today with the exception of those caught in transit.
>>
>>910967
Eisenhower.
>>
>>904843
humans are always great builders. The problem with the mesoamericans are that they were the sumerians of their locale. There was really nobody else who wasn't pretty much culturally the same as them (except the Incas, who were too far away to really have too much to do with). If there were other locales nearby that encouraged civilization (which is pretty much just anywhere with a wet/dry season or rivers that flood seasonally) The olmec and maya would have definitely been a rival to the old world, at least in that there would be some peeps like the Greeks (in the New world I postulate it would be the Iroquois, seeing as how their democracies are pretty similar, and besides, the great lakes and Long Island made for a great semi-thassalocracy) who would try to emulate their southern neighbors, hence bringing civilization to the unwashed barbarians.
>>
Like this but with pyramids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqgI24zgRRU&list=WL&index=111
>>
>>911005
I see than you know jack shit about Mesoamerica anon, the Aztecs copicated from the Toltecs and made war with other civs more or less the same in terms of culture like the Txacalans or Zapotecs, plus in the south they got some Trade with the mayas.The North, from were they lived as Chichimecas or savages was mostly little tribes and some more or less big villages like the Pueblo, and the only ones in the north than reached a somewhat advanced civs were the Missisipians, than were mainly slavers.
>>
not gonna lie, classical nahuatl is a sick language
>>
>>916626
amerindian languages don't sound nice
>>
File: 0b0ef778ff9a.jpg (84 KB, 458x640) Image search: [Google]
0b0ef778ff9a.jpg
84 KB, 458x640
>>895113
>>
File: picture10to.png (2 MB, 1008x768) Image search: [Google]
picture10to.png
2 MB, 1008x768
The street to street and river fighting in the Siege of Tenochtitlan was brutal. Surprised they held out that long despite being outnumbered, starved, and racked by disease.
>>
File: picture5cz.png (2 MB, 1012x768) Image search: [Google]
picture5cz.png
2 MB, 1012x768
>>903167
The Aztecs were kind of like the Assyrians of the mesoamericas. Most of their neighbors hated them because of the huge tribute they demanded. There was this story of how an Aztec spy was found out posing as a merchant by a rival city. The spy was humiliated by being disrobed and flogged. The Aztec response was burning the city's temple down and selling the women and children into slavery.
>>
>>916806
>what kinda armor you want f a m
>gimme the ol lazy dog with dangly carrots combo
>say no more
>>
File: picture6dcj.png (2 MB, 990x768) Image search: [Google]
picture6dcj.png
2 MB, 990x768
>>916844
Looks comfy
>>
File: 1362243121193.jpg (165 KB, 1244x1746) Image search: [Google]
1362243121193.jpg
165 KB, 1244x1746
>>
File: picture4va.png (2 MB, 1009x768) Image search: [Google]
picture4va.png
2 MB, 1009x768
>>
File: 0577fa281649.jpg (96 KB, 798x522) Image search: [Google]
0577fa281649.jpg
96 KB, 798x522
>>
>>916890
>shish kebab stick
>pepsi shield
>lucario
and i thought the sea peoples had ridiculous aesthetics. these guys are on another level.
>>
File: guerrerostlaxcaltecasxc51.jpg (1 MB, 963x1295) Image search: [Google]
guerrerostlaxcaltecasxc51.jpg
1 MB, 963x1295
>>916908
You haven't seen shit yet.
>>
File: img521q.jpg (298 KB, 768x1014) Image search: [Google]
img521q.jpg
298 KB, 768x1014
>>
File: img516.jpg (260 KB, 1009x768) Image search: [Google]
img516.jpg
260 KB, 1009x768
>>
File: img522.jpg (368 KB, 1021x768) Image search: [Google]
img522.jpg
368 KB, 1021x768
>>
File: 239PlateEsmall_zps2ce16a38.jpg (284 KB, 497x650) Image search: [Google]
239PlateEsmall_zps2ce16a38.jpg
284 KB, 497x650
>>
>>916925
Always liked the jaguar helmet thing.
>>
File: 239PlateAsmall_zps2f4938dc.jpg (283 KB, 496x649) Image search: [Google]
239PlateAsmall_zps2f4938dc.jpg
283 KB, 496x649
>>
File: EagleandJaguarwarriors.jpg (62 KB, 512x519) Image search: [Google]
EagleandJaguarwarriors.jpg
62 KB, 512x519
>>
File: picture3fep.png (2 MB, 999x768) Image search: [Google]
picture3fep.png
2 MB, 999x768
>>
>>916941
The native North American natives had it right with white or brown feather head pieces. This green shit is suppose to be of the green snake or dragon me so American God right? Started with a Q from what I recall.
>>
File: picture8nh.png (2 MB, 1003x768) Image search: [Google]
picture8nh.png
2 MB, 1003x768
>>
File: Xochipilla.jpg (1 MB, 3056x2292) Image search: [Google]
Xochipilla.jpg
1 MB, 3056x2292
>>
>>916956
Quetzelquatl?
>>
>>916975
Yep, that green snek. Did they use green feathers as some type of nod to that God?
>>
>>916925
pokeball
>>
>>894821

quetzal was mayan, tlaloc was aztec, my swarthy friend
>>
File: Eight Deer Jaguar Claw.png (417 KB, 600x452) Image search: [Google]
Eight Deer Jaguar Claw.png
417 KB, 600x452
>>916942
For the Aztecs, in very general terms, the animal suit represented the warrior's sacrifice of his body. He offered himself to be almost completely devoured by the spirit of the animal in order to become part of it, and thus, acquire its traits. Nevertheless, the challenge for the warrior was to keep his face (identity), that's why no Meso helmet is completely covered.
There were some differences in the perception of each Mesoamerican culture. For the Aztecs, in very general terms, the animal suit represented the warrior's sacrifice of his body. He offered himself to be almost completely devoured by the spirit of the animal in order to become part of it, and thus, acquire its traits. Nevertheless, the challenge for the warrior was to keep his face (identity), that's why no Meso helmet is completely covered.
There were some differences in the perception of each Mesoamerican culture. For example the Mixtec nobles, interpreting their codices in a literal way, used to paint themselves black and wear the helmets in their everyday life, while Aztec suits completely covered the body and only were used in combat.
>>
>>894821
fun fact: the conquistadors, upon arriving in the MezoAmericas were mistaken for their shining armour and glistening swords to be Quetzalcoatl and were henceforth given Masterhood over the poor Aztecs. It was here in Tenochtitlan that they became the gluttonous gold hoarders of the watery region. Upon running out of gold, the butcher Pizzaro and his men slaughtered them all during a grand feast, starting with the drummer - they cut off his head as it rolled into the center of a dance circle.
>>
File: Atl Tlachinolli.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Atl Tlachinolli.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>916956
Green color was related to the concept of water-fire (war), or more precisely, scorched water (water blaze, sacred water, blood, water flood-burning field). Jade beads represented water drops but jade by itself represented fire.
Incidentally, the feather headdress was an extension of the hair, which was considered the physical manifestation of the mind's soul.
>>
File: Quetzal.jpg (41 KB, 960x500) Image search: [Google]
Quetzal.jpg
41 KB, 960x500
>>916979
Quetzalcoatl's name is not directly related to the green color, but to the Quetzal bird and the serpent, coatl.
>>
File: Dzahui_Tehuantepec.jpg (432 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Dzahui_Tehuantepec.jpg
432 KB, 600x900
>>917101
Mesoamericans shared many gods, the Aztecs called it Quetzalcoatl, the Mayans Kukulkán.
The main god of the Mixtecs was Tlaloc, who they called Dzavui.
>>
File: cameron-diaz-13.jpg (239 KB, 1200x1823) Image search: [Google]
cameron-diaz-13.jpg
239 KB, 1200x1823
>>900520
Wut.

Hispanic people are fucking "white". They're fucking Spanish FFS.

What the fuck does "White" even mean then only French, Germanic and Nordic people?

According to America's fucked "races" Cameron Diaz isn't considered a white person.
>>
File: Jaguar suits Mendoza Codex.png (2 MB, 1350x1040) Image search: [Google]
Jaguar suits Mendoza Codex.png
2 MB, 1350x1040
>>916908
>these guys are on another level.
Agreed
>>
>>917638
Dont bother my friend, we are on 4chan, the birthplace of ignorance
>>
>>917638
Don't play dumb. It clearly is talking about non white Latin Americans.
>>
>>917638

Hispanic means different things in Europe and America. An American Hispanic can be of any race, even niggers and sambos check the "hispanic" box if they speak Spanish.
>>
>>916749

What, all of them?
>>
>>916749
Mayan sounds great
>>
>>917911
Yes. Never heard one that I liked.
>>
>>917904
That's so stupid, but then this is in America, they don't know how to separate culture from race...
>>
>>903187
>flower wars
>somehow more civilised than regular wars

Somebody please dump their smug anime girls
>>
>>894807
They were filthy savages with great civil advancements
>>
>>903214
People often do what their religion tells them to, especially in the times when tribal mentality was common and each nation had their own religion.

And it so happened that Mesoametican religions were pretty evil.
>>
>>903211
>sacrificial victims
>voluntary

They were mostly enemy warriors and slaves (who in turn were mostly criminals and POWs).
>>
>>903216
What in their writing was worse than Western writing?
>>
>>919245
I haven't seen a source stating that slaves were worthy to be sacrificed.
>>
Why was Cortes on the run from the Cuban government?
>>
File: mayan-temple.jpg (139 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
mayan-temple.jpg
139 KB, 550x413
>>904843
>Maya architecture was only pyramids
>>
>>919281
Since he was quite persuasive the Governor of Cuba commissioned him to recruit and organize an army to explore the mainland region. But at the last moment he changed his mind and revoked him, allegedly because he thought Cortes would betray him. Nevertheless, Cortes weighed anchor before they could catch him.
>>
File: large[1].jpg (74 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
large[1].jpg
74 KB, 500x372
>>894807
>>
>>919878
>That rusty machete he found in the trash one day
Kek
>>
>>894807
They got cucked to oblivion by the spaniards and the tribes they used to bully.
>>
>>894807
Mexicans love to claim "WE WUZ AZTECS AND SHIT VATO" but in reality most of them are over 70% spanish, and the rest isn't even aztec unless they're from a very specific part from central Mexico.
>>
File: 2093.jpg (505 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
2093.jpg
505 KB, 1024x683
>>916956
It must have been an impressive sight to see all their attires though.
>>
File: Macuahuitl.jpg (350 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
Macuahuitl.jpg
350 KB, 2304x1296
>>904713
>They had weird spiky sword things
There were different types, some of them had more compact edges.
>>
>>894807
They came from the north. Picked fights with everyone around them. Won the fights with everyone around them.
Then the Spanish came and told all the people they picked fights with to fight them again. And that was the end of the Aztecs.
Interesting merchant system they had though.
>>
>>920031
I read somewhere that generally they have 60% indigenous in them, and about 30% white, 10% black. Most are mixed though and your second statement is true. The closest thing to an 'Aztec' are Nahua natives in the valley of Mexico. In the US you get a lot of those annoying chicanos who think their ancestors were aztecs.
>>
File: F2.large.jpg (183 KB, 990x1280) Image search: [Google]
F2.large.jpg
183 KB, 990x1280
>>920740
The Amerindian DNA varies by class and region
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec
>>
>>917514
>Pizarro
>Aztecs
>>
File: fm31.jpg (205 KB, 1398x1308) Image search: [Google]
fm31.jpg
205 KB, 1398x1308
>>894840
The art styles and concepts depicted indicate that the Fejervary-Mayer Codex was created as a collaboration of Nahua, Mixtec and Mayan merchants.
>>
>>903079
furries ring a bell?
>>
>>904843
mayans were extremely advanced in astrology and numerical system which was by sixes and seasons were much better predicted, however you're right about the rest, they were sick people who believed in human sacrifice to appease "sky daddies" sound familiar?
>>
Aztecs rumored to be a nomadic tribe from the north, became a bunch of mercs in a city state,(yes there were more cities than just the aztecs, there were many others) They werent even called the aztes then. Then they saved a daughter of a the king and he gave them the daughter as a gift and they sacrificed her(which was supposed to be noble in aztec culture) anyway king disgusted kicks them out, the aztecs find this rad island in the middle of a lake(txacoco or some shit its near mexico city now) any way they make city and neighbors try to kill them so they ally with enimies of enemies and create Aztec Triple alliance, not too long later cortez shows up with around 200 conquistadors. They mistake him for a god because of his armor. Anyway cortez wants gold, he wants cocoa, he wants maize, he wants what they got. So he allies himself with enemies of the aztecs(they had heavy taxes on neighbors and attacked them frequently for prisoners of war to sacrifice at least one sacrificed every day in order for the sun to rise) anyway since everyone hated them they were gangbanged with disease, famine, and the conqistadors advanced technology which thy're spears could not penetrate that easy. Thats kind of the end, however you could read how this factors into to mexicans and how they're racist to the indigious people, most mexicans are spanish and some arent even mixed indigious.
>>
I heard there were New World savages here.
>>
>>894807
A migrant people of the northern lands. That by moving to the Valley of Mexico, they found only vacant a swampy, brackish and muddy lake to occupy. Still, they managed to transform the huge malodorous puddle in a living area. Isolated the fresh drainage of the rivers from the rest of the lake. On the clean part, an extraordinary hydroponics system based on artificial islands. In the midst of their dams and plantations, a city built on an island in the center of the nascent civilization. With two other allied, build a vast commercial and military empire.

To its allies, the benefits of integration at the expense of taxes; to its enemies, death. A simple treatment with a dual purpose; to please the gods, allowing the continuity of the world, and reduce resistance to domination and conquest.

In the end, it was not very successful. Its enemies have joined forces with overseas visitors, and both with the smallpox. It was withering.
>>
>>926382
"I will say only that these people live almost like those in Spain, and in as much harmony and order as there, and considering that they are barbarous and so far from the knowledge of God and cut off from all civilized nations, it is truly remarkable to see what they have achieved in all things."
>>
>>926572
BTFO
>>
File: war suits.png (2 MB, 845x1279) Image search: [Google]
war suits.png
2 MB, 845x1279
>>923932
Kinda.
They also had a butterfly rank just below the eagles and jaguars. Commanders wore skull suits.
>>
>>896778
Human sacrifice isnt savagery it is based on this idea.

"Our deities are great so they deserve something given to them time to time, our material possessions are insignificant compared to the spiritual value of a human life so we offer people to our gods to please them"

Jews were doing human sacrifices to Yahweh a long time ago as well.
Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.