[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did combat musicians and colour bearers become a thing on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
When did combat musicians and colour bearers become a thing on the battlefield and when did they stop?
>>
>>894577
Renaissance. Reached their peak in Crimean war
>>
File: 1804 pattern.jpg (495 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1804 pattern.jpg
495 KB, 800x600
>>894577
>1805
why is that eagle bearing a Tricolor instead of the 1804 pattern standard?
>>
>>894577
Since antiquity, though medieval Europe was less fond of them than other cultures.
>>
>>894580
>>894592
Thank

>>894588
Checked, and I'm not sure. But it is during Austerlitz and is supposed to be the eagle of the 4th Line regiment
>>
>>894588
As the uniforms aren't correct for that year either, I think the painter just didn't give a fuck.
The 1884 painting of the same event doesn't show the banner in detail, but gets the uniforms right at least.
>>
>>894577
For as long as there have been formations and the need to relay group commands.

Military pipers, drummers and musicians have been a thing since the bronze age. Music helps you keep time when walking, can be used to relay orders such as attack or retreat ("sound the advance"), and can be morale boosting as fuck.
>>
>>894595
actually theres just so much wrong with the image.
The Austrian Dragoon (or i guess it could be one of the white coated Chevaux-leger?) should have a red shabraque trimmed yellow, not blue and gold, the helmet plume should be yellow with a black top not all black.

Poor painting desu.
>>
>>894604
Same for standard bearers. A group of guys in melee need a visible marker to rally around if it all gets confusing, so a standard held high is visible to everyone.

That's why capturing the enemy's standard was a thing, you broke his formation to such an extent you were able to kill the standard bearer and take their standard.
>>
>>894604
>bronze age
Spotted the evolutiontard

We did not come from monkeys, no matter how many times you delude yourself into believing that myth.
>>
>>894626
I-Is this bait?
>>
>>894631
One can never be sure on /rel/ (previously known as /his/).
>>
>>894631
>people who disagree with me don't exist
>if you have a different world-view than me, you are a troll

This is the victim complex atheists have.
>>
>>894631
Nope, unfortunately people who believe they are animals really do exist.

They are called evolutionists and they have forced their way into academia.
>>
>>894626
Are you the same christfag from the statue thread?
>>
>>894669

The godposting on /his/ has exceeded even the cancerous levels of baneposting on /tv/.

>inb4 4u
>>
>>894679

Yes, there's now just one Knt Hovind fan who samefags as three or so christfags. He probably actually believes that he convinced people by responding to his own posts. It's very sad to see
>>
>>894577
Getting back on topic...

They went away in the late 19th Century when smokeless powders and long-range firepower rendered wandering around a battlefield in bright colours playing Skrillex and carrying a huge sign "Shoot Me" sign suicidal. WWI armies still had standards and musicians but they hit the trenches carrying the same rifles as everyone else. Radios gradually took up the slack to get everyone organised again.
>>
>>894631

It is. There's some faggot(s?) on /his/ that makes Youtube-tier comments in order to get free (You)'s. Just don't respond next time.
>>
File: 1447041414787.jpg (47 KB, 543x400) Image search: [Google]
1447041414787.jpg
47 KB, 543x400
>>894775
Thanks, but were colour bearers and musicians still doing their role in the very early weeks of WW1 before obviously getting rid of them? as in WW1 many units retained their old traditions and tactics for a short period of time.
>>
>>894577
Musicians on the field ended with WW1, colours technically are still carried around with the regiment's supply train, tho they're not gonna fly.
>>
>>894803
Watch the first few weeks of The Great War on youtube.

Then watch the rest desu, great series.
>>
>>894803
Yeah, it took a while for things to changeover. Basically, by the time the various sides got around to issuing steel helmets (1915-1916 mostly) they'd more or less got the message. But >>894817 is right, do that.
>>
>>894605
pro-tip: it's a russian lifeguard you dingus
>>
>>894775

i would join this army. sign me the fuck up

>MEN! TO ME!
>Wub Wub Brrrrrrrrr
>>
>>894811
>Musicians on the field ended with WW1

I hear occasionally about musicians on the field in WWII, such as bagpipers in the D-Day landings.
>>
>>895041
>bagpipers in the D-Day landings
Yeah, that happened but it was actually done against orders and regulations, so I wouldn't count it tbqh.
>>
File: Scottishadvanceepsom.jpg (85 KB, 796x800) Image search: [Google]
Scottishadvanceepsom.jpg
85 KB, 796x800
>>895048
The Scottish regiments did use pipers in battle in WW2 regularly though.
>>
File: Voltaire.jpg (206 KB, 658x562) Image search: [Google]
Voltaire.jpg
206 KB, 658x562
>>894626
>god's
>holy
>creatures
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.