[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do things have a meaning? Is there are an absolute higher moral
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: 1458952468204.gif (2 MB, 500x525) Image search: [Google]
1458952468204.gif
2 MB, 500x525
Do things have a meaning?

Is there are an absolute higher moral code that people should abide too?

Is there a definite way to prove if said code exists?

Or could it be that things have no meaning, and there is no such a thing as a noble, higher goal, and we just give meaning to things according to our own will?
>>
>>892035
>Do things have a meaning?
Depends of your definition of meaning.

>Is there are an absolute higher moral code that people should abide too?
None that is ""absolute""

>Or could it be that things have no meaning, and there is no such a thing as a noble, higher goal, and we just give meaning to things according to our own will?
Pretty much.
>>
stop making this thread, it already exists and is always retarded
>>
File: 1447028692696.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1356) Image search: [Google]
1447028692696.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1356
>>892035

I'll assume you mean in an objective sense, because I don't anyone would have trouble accepting that we can and do project subjective meaning onto things. I'd say no, but like the other anon said we'll have to get straight on what we mean by "meaning."

I'll say probably not. It is my intuition that if the answer to your first question is yes, then the answer to the second might be yes as well.

>Is there a definite way to prove if said code exists?
I doubt it.

>Or could it be that things have no meaning, and there is no such a thing as a noble, higher goal, and we just give meaning to things according to our own will?
Probably.

Sorry I didn't really have anything good to offer you to argue with, but I will say this: I think those questions are less interesting than other metaphysical, epistemological, and ontological questions that pop up in the analytic tradition.
>>
>>892035
Even your most ardent Nietzsche fanboy will find meaning in things. 4chan means something to you if you feel compelled to go to it and post your "NOTHING HAS MEANING" threads. Some things just have more meaning to people than others.
>>
Everything is permitted, but not everything is useful
>>
>>892252
But that's just changing the definition of meaning, desu.
>>
File: 1457837111818.png (189 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1457837111818.png
189 KB, 300x300
>>892035

Things do not have meanings unto themselves but in their relationship to an intelligent agent.
The relationship is itself a meaning.

No.

I don't know. I would guess no.

This is not exactly what I would say.

Now a meaning relationship is reciprocal, and not necessarily of "our own will". Let's say I am a father of a child. One reason I decide to live everyday is in order to support my child, not because I bequeathed meaning upon my child, but because the relationship between me and my child causes me to continue living.
>>
File: pepe13.jpg (85 KB, 540x537) Image search: [Google]
pepe13.jpg
85 KB, 540x537

The trick to these questions is that, even if the answer was to be yes, some people would still inevitably question their validity, as OP is doing himself.

If you question everything, you'll never find any answers.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.