[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A thought just occurred to me while watching The Messenger:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6
File: Medieval_armour_Vienna_museum.jpg (364 KB, 467x700) Image search: [Google]
Medieval_armour_Vienna_museum.jpg
364 KB, 467x700
A thought just occurred to me while watching The Messenger:
What happened to all the "royal" plate armor from noblemen and Kings from the middle ages?
Was any of it held on to throughout history? Is there anywhere you can see it on display if any of them exist?
I'd like to see some actual legit armor from the Richard's, or the Louis'.
I've never even heard of any of this stuff still existing other than IIRC some crowns and jewels and such.

Pic related's website has some interesting info, and only a few pictures, I'd really like to see some stuff from kings or well known figures in history from 900-1500 AD
>>
File: 305840795_0819a8aee8_o.jpg (1017 KB, 1288x1936) Image search: [Google]
305840795_0819a8aee8_o.jpg
1017 KB, 1288x1936
>>889913
Quite a few examples still exist in museums and the like. Pic related is Henry VIII's when he was young.
>>
File: 1905007594945.jpg (930 KB, 1478x3497) Image search: [Google]
1905007594945.jpg
930 KB, 1478x3497
>>889927
And this is his when he was older and overweight.
>>
>>889927
>>889932
Holy shit that is awesome.
Where are these located at, museum-wise?
>>
>>889934

>>889927
Is located in the Tower of London, I believe.

>>889932
Is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
>>
>>889940
That's too exciting. I have family in britbongistan, I definitely will have to do a tour of the Tower of London next time I go.
>>
>>889913

as far as I can recall most historians agree that precious metals were often melted down and reused.
>>
>>889913
The medieval as in 900-1500 AD armour was mostly smelted into something different and we have only really small samples of it.

What most of you are posting are renaissance armours.
>>
>>889913
The Musée de l'armée in Paris has a pretty good collection of royal armors if I remember well. Then there should be some in local castles like Chambord
>>
>>889913
Medieval armour is actually quite rare and there's not a single suit that is complete as far as I know. Especially if we're talking about the high middle ages and earlier. Iron is not a very good material when it comes to surviving throughout the ages. When it comes to the Late medieval-, Renaissance- and Early Modern period there are quite a few suits or armour parts remaining.

Here, we have a cuirass which belonged to Emperor Maximilian I.
>>
>>891556
And a helmet of the same.
>>
File: paradearmorphilip2.png (1 MB, 627x1012) Image search: [Google]
paradearmorphilip2.png
1 MB, 627x1012
Here we have a suit of armour which belonged to Philipp II. (Spain).
>>
>>891572
>No faceguard or visor
Get that weak shit outta here
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.