[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are guilt and shame emotions that simply encumber a person?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: neetzche.jpg (183 KB, 581x720) Image search: [Google]
neetzche.jpg
183 KB, 581x720
Are guilt and shame emotions that simply encumber a person?
>>
it's the only thing keeping me from shoveling peanut butter up my urethra, so I'd say yes
>>
>>880409
>being this fucking weird

you weren't destined for anything great. nietzsche isn't for you.
>>
>>880419
The only reason you think peanut butter is weird is because you're a victim of slave morality desu senpai.
>>
>>880270
Guilt and shame have an evolutionary function that is good for the population and the individual. Eating poop is shame ful, it will spread disease and it will kill you.

You could say that shame is holding you back from actualizing your invisionment of yourself, but if that invisionment is eating your own poop you should reconsider.
>>
>>880419
>having this much slave morality
we all know Nietzsche would be up there with me making fetish videos
>>
It's certainly encumbering, but I don't see how encumbrance is a reason for dismissal.
>>
File: Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg (876 KB, 1066x1500) Image search: [Google]
Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg
876 KB, 1066x1500
>>880270
Not simply that; they are repressive mechanisms necessary to maintain societal order. The encumbrance is the result of an individual opposing his natural instinct.
>>
They benefit humanity by promoting adherence to social norms.
>>
>>880270
It depends where the guilt and shame come from. Do you feel guilt on account of society, or is your shame related to your own personal sentiment?

Shame is just a form of spiritual pain, and just as pain it can be an effective teacher. It's only bad if

1. You are feeling shame because you have confused what society wants of you with what you want of you and feel shame on the behalf of the collective rather than the self
2. You hold on to your shame (which consists of guilt, regret, ect.) after it has taught you its lesson and let it fetter you into inaction.

Granted it's not easy to eject these feelings from your consciousness, you can't will how you feel. Not everyone is built to be a liar, Nietzsche considered his last virtue to be honesty. Not everyone can be a butcher, not everyone can be a pacifist. It's all a matter of sentiment.
>>
>>880270
Shame, yes.

Guilt, no.
>>
Taking advice from a weak person who want it to impose their own subjective view of the world becouse he couldn't deal with how the world actually was, and ended up mad becouse he saw a horse being tortured. A very smart, but a very weak and a lying to himself person.
>>
>>882094
This, shame is literally herd mentality.
>>
>>880270
Yes, and properly so.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.