[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We need to start a /his/ approved book list, whether its important
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Gilgamesh Mourns Enkidu.jpg (69 KB, 658x436) Image search: [Google]
Gilgamesh Mourns Enkidu.jpg
69 KB, 658x436
We need to start a /his/ approved book list, whether its important books of history or books on history, I'll start with some obvious ones:
Epic of Gilgamesh - Unknown
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
The Peloponnese War - Thucydides
>>
>>87925
Most of the books of Tom Holland, they are not very indept or try radical new things but they are a blast to read.
>>
>>87925
I'd suggest 3 categories.
>Historical records from the the period, like the Thucydides
>Texts that are easy to read but not properly academic texts so people have somewhere to start if they're interested in a period.
>Academic texts for people with more advance interest levels and/or a greater tolerance for dry writing.
>>
>>87925
Kojiki - Ō no Yasumaro
The Early History of Rome - Livy
>>
Parallel Live - Plutarch
>>
Carl von Clausewitz - Vom Kriege (On War)
>>
File: 1435055060319.jpg (393 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
1435055060319.jpg
393 KB, 1600x1067
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horse,_the_Wheel_and_Language

http://www.newworldeconomics.com/archives/2014/092814_files/TheFateofEmpiresbySirJohnGlubb.pdf

Just my 2 cent.
>>
Can anyone link me to the best possible iteration of Meditations? I've really been wanting to read that.

The Republic - Plato
Art of War - Sun Tzu
Ethics - Aristotle
>>
Epic of Sundiata
>>
Gallic Commentaries (As well as Spanish War, Civil War, Alexandrian War and African War) - Julius Caesar
Divine Comedy - Dante Aligheri
Anabasis - Xenophon
Metaphysics - Aristotle
Iliad - Homer
Odyssey - Homer
>>
Xenophon, Plato, Aristotle
>>
The Ramayana
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Richard III
>>
Pliny - Natural History
>>
I suggest starting a wiki.
>>
>>88443
This desu
>>
>>87925
Is Thomas Carlyle /his/? He wrote histories and postmodern deconstructions of German philosophy for /lit/ and racist nonsense for /pol/. He's got something for everyone.
>>
Can anyone recommend books that go into the political intrigues of an Athens or an Ancient Rome?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.