[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is America an empire?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
File: 1398446990164.jpg (649 KB, 2340x2349) Image search: [Google]
1398446990164.jpg
649 KB, 2340x2349
Is America an empire?
>>
Yes.
>>
>"""United"""" """States""""
>>
File: 1457593910660.jpg (46 KB, 618x412) Image search: [Google]
1457593910660.jpg
46 KB, 618x412
>it's a semantics episode
>>
No.
>>
>>879139
No shit Sherlock. We're the reigning hegemonic power, and we have tons of oversees holdings. Of course we're an empire.
>>
Puerto Rico doesn't have representation, so yes.
>>
Economically and in terms of soft power yes, but no not a classical proper empire where they directly have sovereignty and rule people
>>
I think so.
>>
The Phoenician style
>>
File: america.jpg (11 KB, 261x224) Image search: [Google]
america.jpg
11 KB, 261x224
No, we are a democracy.
>>
>>879231
Not really, we vote for officials to represent us, it's a democratic republic
>>
>>879231
Empire and Democracy arenĀ“t mutally exclusive
>>
File: American.png (1 MB, 810x785) Image search: [Google]
American.png
1 MB, 810x785
>>879241
Still a democracy.
>>
> Big
Check
> Allmighty head of government
Check
> Istitutionalized Nationalism
Check
> Warmongering
Check
> Economical power
Check
> influential culture for enrichment
YES

Looks pretty much like an empire tbqh f a m
>>
>>879191
They can vote themselves into the union and become a state if they wanted though, not saying it'll happen but the option is there
>>
>>879457
>Almighty head of government
Tell that to Obama and the many government shutdowns that've happened recently.

The US can very easily become an empire and collapse into monarchy. But that would most likely be a period of transition so volatile the whole of the West would pay.
>>
>>879472
Already voted for it and were ignored
>>
>>879231
So Britain wasn't an empire after it became controlled by Parliament?
>>
>>879487
Not entirely. Technically the referendum has been in committee in both the Senate and the House since 2014. The issue cited by the Congress is PR is in crazy debt right now. They have to put forward a plan to get that shit in line.
>>
>>879504

... and all the military bases.

... and why would you want land when you turn other nations into client states
>>
>>879524
>military bases

that's like saying any countries with embassies are empires, anon

but yes, most bases need to be closed, even those inside the military agree and have made some small progress

http://www.g2mil.com/OBCL.htm
>>
By definition yes, but its not really. Its territories, such as thephilipines, dont matter. Its just a globalist capitalist country.
>>
>>879516

Thanks alejandro garcia padilla, fucking asshole
>>
>>879218

WE

WUZ

ALPHABET
>>
>>879258
If you think America is a democracy than you should lurk permanently
>>
>>879139
Is 'is' a was? This board is for history.

>>879145
quoteposters leave
>>
>>879524
As the dude before me said, presence of bases is just as much reflective of an empire as an embassy, unless the base is forced there. Last I checked, half of our foreign bases are the best defense for the respective nation it's placed in. They're practically begging for our presence, and we have a history of leaving as soon as that's openly not the case.

As far as satellite states go, it's ridiculous to consider that an empire. Something similar perhaps, but it's ridiculous to use that term. It has a very specific and significant meaning that has not applied to countless kingdoms with satellite states.
>>
File: 1370242392719.jpg (30 KB, 281x248) Image search: [Google]
1370242392719.jpg
30 KB, 281x248
>>879258
>>
nope.

reserve currency status + military bases doesnt make us an empire
>>
No it's something much worse
>>
Yes but it's Imperial control has taken on form that we haven't seen before. America's empire is formed not only through economic, military and influential prowess, it's primary tool for control is culture.
>>
>>880775
We are a femocracy.
>>
>>879482
Easily? You are dumb if you think that.
>>
>>880941
wew
>>
>>880950
How about you explain your objection instead of memeing like a retard?
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 500x460) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 500x460
>>880954
Wait, do you actually think that America is a "femocracy"
>>
>>880954
what did he mean by this
>>
>>880958
>>880958
Oh shit just noticed that democracy
>>
>>879139
Did America attack any of its allies for joining the AIIB the way Russia shat on the Hohols for wanting stronger ties with Europe?

The American Goverment is a massive international Asshole but not an empire
>>
>>880954
you're the one shitting out low quality memes friend
>>
>>880982
I meant democracy
>>
>>879139
No. It is world hegemon and intends to remain so.
>>
>>880983
that's still pretty wew-worthy desu
>>
>>880992
Like I said explain yourself.
>>
>>881010
no i mean the typo
>>
>>881014
Yeah Yeah it is.
>>
>>880941
>>880958

Moar liek funmocracy amirite?
>>
>>879139
Yes. You don't need an emperor to be an empire. It's an empire in denial that has become the perfect empire, by convincing the people it dominates all over the world that it doesn't control their fates.

Colossus is a good populist book on the subject.
>>
An Empire is a multi-cultural centralized state that consist of several states or ethnicities. It's different from a federation by allowing political representation in its domains. And an Empire can't be a nation-state due because Empires are multi-cultural.

Take that and judge for yourself instead of all these horrible hurrr durrr empire stronk answers.
>>
what would the consequences be of for example a british astronaut going to the moon, lobbing the US flag into space and planting a union flag there?

would be banter
>>
>>879231
>>879258

>A democracy cannot be an empire

What was the Athenian Republic

What was the Roman Republic?

I'l give you a clue it starts with an E
>>
>>881392

You are an idiot, being a federation doesn't immediately stop you from being an Empire. What makes you into an Empire is having imperialist policies/ambitions and enforcing them into other territories through diplomacy and force of arms.

And the US is most definitely multicultural, even more so, than any other empire in past history.
>>
>>879537

Not that guy, but I don't see how it equates. Sure an embassy is a piece of land that another country owns on foreign soil. A base is the same, (or leased) and is used for force projection. Hardly the same thing.
>>
>>881614

and by the same, I should clarify that it is a property owned by a different nationality (or leased) on foreign soil, so you don't try to pull any pedantics.
>>
>>879482
would most likely balcanize if it collapses like most big empires do, but would need like 4 tier presidents in a row or a devastating war on american soil for that to happen
>>
No monarchy, no empire
>>
It was, but not anymore.
>>
>>881534
If the Roman Republic was an empire, why do why make distinctions between the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire
>>
Yes although it could be argued that we are an empire without an emperor due to the restrictions on our head of state. However this has been changing in the past couple decades especially in regards to foreign policy.
>>
>>879139
Not without a King or an Emperor, no.
>>
>>879139
It really depends, OP.

Can you name one American professional wrestler or comic book character?
>>
>>882848
the Empire was more honest about the nature of the Roman state
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.