[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any truth to what fundies say about ancient Babylon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Babylon.gif (23 KB, 459x238) Image search: [Google]
Babylon.gif
23 KB, 459x238
Is there any truth to what fundies say about ancient Babylon or is it all horseshit?

Also, jack chick thread.
>>
>>877475
Complete horseshit.
>"Baal" is Ugaritic for "lord"
>has no connection to ancient Egypt whatsoever
The typical Baal mentioned in the OT is Baal Hadad, a deity of storms, or Baal Zebub/Beelzebub, Lord of Flies
>>
>>877475
Yes.
>>
Ancient Israelites dindu nothing
>>
>>877491
Like many of the beliefs and rites of Romanism, transubstantiation was first practiced by pagan religions. The noted historian Durant said that belief in transubstantiation as practiced by the priests of the Roman Catholic system is "one of the oldest ceremonies of primitive religion." The Story Of Civilization, p. 741. The syncretism and mysticism of the Middle East were great factors in influencing the West, particularly Italy. Roman Society From Nero To Marcus Aurelius, Dill. In Egypt priests would consecrate mest cakes which were supposed to be come the flesh of Osiris. Encyclopedia Of Religions, Vol. 2, p. 76. The idea of transubstantiation was also characteristic of the religion of Mithra whose sacraments of cakes and Haoma drink closely parallel the Catholic Eucharistic rite. Ibid. The idea of eating the flesh of deity was most popular among the people of Mexico and Central America long before they ever heard of Christ; and when Spanish missionaries first landed in those countries "their surprise was heightened, when they witnessed a religious rite which reminded them of communion...an image made of flour...and after consecration by priests, was distributed among the people who ate it...declaring it was the flesh of deity..." Prescott's Mexico, Vol. 3.

Eat God, Be God is old.
>>
>>877475
*Baal is not the Egyption son God. He is the Babylian storm God, he is also a lesser deity in the 4chan pantheon
*Egyptians did eat corn bread in the shape of Osiris's body in remeberence of the time when he was killed by Sith and revived by his mother, to return and defeat Sith. To my knowledge the ritual was never meant to imply the bread is literally Osiris and the bread was never blessed
>>
>>877511
>>877508
>>
>>877475
It's all horseshit.
>>
>>877491
Both are demon sun gods. Baal is Ra in Egypt. Paganism is quite flexible linguistically.
>>
>>877527

Eat God, Be God is horseshit indeed. Steamy newly laid horseshit from a horse with dysentery.
>>
>>877533
>Ra is a demon
>>
>>877546
Indeed. And humiliated by YHWH causing the land to be pitch black for three days straight.
>>
>>877475
tl;dr: Babylon: fundies = Hitler:leftists
>>
>>877533

Baal is a storm god, not a sun god, you idiot.
>>
>>877538
You seem triggered.
>>
>>877556
The sun plays a very big part in the weather, as it turns out.

"Semiramis was soon hailed as “The Queen of Heaven” (Ashtarte). Her symbol became the moon and her husband Nimrod, was called “Baal” (the “sun god”) and his symbol became the sun."
>>
>>877559
...with worms, having eaten only a diet of vomit and rotten eggs.
>>
>>877556
Ba'al as a Sun-God.(From a Phenician stele in the Louvre.)
>>
File: 1444941519277.jpg (15 KB, 192x154) Image search: [Google]
1444941519277.jpg
15 KB, 192x154
>>877580
...is on your daily menu.
>>
>>877511
>Sith
SHEEV?
>>
Why isn't anyone posting their fave Chick?
>>
>>877502
The mathematician's answer doesn't work when the options are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>877511
>*Egyptians did eat corn bread in the shape of Osiris's body in remeberence of the time when he was killed by Sith and revived by his mother, to return and defeat Sith. To my knowledge the ritual was never meant to imply the bread is literally Osiris and the bread was never blessed
So what you're saying is that this pagan ritual has more resemblance to the Protestant communion than that of the Catholics.
>>
>>877634
If you look at the actual post from the actual Encyclopedia, they indeed thought they were eating their god.

Eat God, Be God is old.

Kind of like Eat Heart of Warrior, Grow Stronger.

Same cannibalism.
>>
>>877629
Yes it's true what is said about Babylon, and yes Babylon is all horseshit.
>>
>>877642
>If you look at the actual post from the actual Encyclopedia
I can if you link it, I can't find shit, or even which encyclopedia you're referring to specifically.
>>
>>877646
To elaborate, all I can find are different encyclopedias called the "Encyclopedia of Religion," except, one, which was written by a Victorian and therefore highly suspect.
>>
>>877694
meant for
>>877677
>>
>>877634
That's a pretty hilarious interpretation.

I would argue that symbolic meals have been a staple of religious organizations for centuarieis, some claim the food is imbued with magical properties others that it's only a commeration.

Furthermore since all cultures borrow from each other we shouldn't be surprised that there are some parallels.

It's generally understood by some scholars that early Christians did understand the Eucharist as having mystical properties and not being purely a commemorative event.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.