[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Scientology get so widespread and powerful?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: scientology.jpg (217 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
scientology.jpg
217 KB, 600x900
How did Scientology get so widespread and powerful?
>>
>>876808
I mean people paint it as crazy but their initial practices and meditations are actually quite useful and when you start out it's almost a nice little religion. So it's quite easy to get wrapped up in it and forget about Jesus and succumb the The devil's trick. See any religion that doesn't explicit state the Jesus Christ is Lord is a false religion and is spread by evil.
>>
>>876808
I would assume predatory recruiting plays a significant part in securing new members.
Sunk cost fallacy.
Attachment to others in the cult.
Their openly antagonistic behavior towards apostasy.
Their hostile bullying of members.

I can't explain how it got powerful because I have no idea how this "Religion" hasn't been shut down yet.
I assume nepotism and outright infiltration of government plays a role.
>>
>>876808
Tom Cruise.

Their members literally increased 10+ fold after he endorsed it.

It's not very powerful or widespread now nor was it in the pre-Cruise era, it always exagerates it's numbers.
>>
>>876808
Hollywood is a network town, and once you get the celebs and money men in, they can keep the ball rolling pretty well.
>>
>>876808
L Ron was an extemely charismatic man, and Scientolgy witch translates to 'the study of knowledge' does not hold it self to or attemppt to build on the foundations of any previous relgions, as does Mormonism or Sufi islam for example.
Scientolgy is thus able to cherry pick as much of the best parts from all theologies, sects and cults throughout all recorded history he wished, and he did it well. he leant legitimacy to his claims by seacrhing for and often finding artifacts that backed up his claims (it is heavily suggested that on previous trips he would hide things for himself and his crew to find on later expeditions.

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi said of L. Ron Hubbard; if he had preached the TM movement, the world would be enlightend by now.
>>
>>876826
mormons state that jesus christ is lord but i have a feeling that you would count that as a false religion. additionally that's some fine circular logic you got there that only christianity is correct because all religions that don't make the central claim of christianity are false
>>
>>878079
Is Lord =\= is a lord
>>
>>878091
though mormons add the wierd shit about aliens and shit Jesus is still "Lord"
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.