[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shitty uni thread/ Here I'll start >professors have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: KCL-box-red-pin-rgbHD.jpg (330 KB, 1000x762) Image search: [Google]
KCL-box-red-pin-rgbHD.jpg
330 KB, 1000x762
Shitty uni thread/

Here I'll start
>professors have horrible accencts
>student body is literally only international students.
>grades are handed out like candy
>employers laugh at my degree
>>
>professor insisted that Africa and middle east are the same
>once said Chinese and Japanese are the same
>told us pyramids were built by slaves
>spent 3 weeks on Judaism in a development of civ course, completely ignored the americas and Europe.
>told us a dynasty in China lasted from 1000 BC to 2000 BC
>power points are rife with typos and inaccuracies
>>
>kcl
>shit

Try again.
>>
I think my high school (American) had an exchange program with this school.
>>
>>873049
(((Judaism)))

When will you cunts learn
>>
>>873021
>employers laugh at my degree

What did you choose to study?
>>
>>875189
Neuroscience
>>
>>874839
>School
It's a university not a school... or a college

Why don't Americans understand basic educational terms?
And no, your high school teachers are not professors, and calling them such is insulting to real professors.
>>
>It's in Glasgow
>Full of students

Other than that it's pretty fun
>>
File: g76g2hdq5iaq8p1fxdyo_400x400.jpg (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
g76g2hdq5iaq8p1fxdyo_400x400.jpg
23 KB, 400x400
>Everyone's either autistic or a rugby twat
>Clubs close at 2am
>Massive hills

But good course and cheap alcohol
>>
>>875246
>why are different cultures different?
And my HS had a program with a learning institution known as King's College in England. Sorry to offend you.
>>
>>875284
You'd find more culture in a sterile petri-dish than in America
>>
>>873021
this exact same thread is on /g/
what are you trying to pull you fat faggot?
>>
>Professors are all pretty good
>Students are all pretty terrible
>>
File: logo.png (79 KB, 871x550) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
79 KB, 871x550
You guys are talking about redeemable uni's....

>University of Central Lancashire
>So shit no town wants to lay claim to it
>The city it's in literally has one of the highest depression/ suicide rates in the country

Why get a job when suicide is an option
>>
Are non oxbridge fags allowed on this board? I thought we were a bit more intellectual, not /pol/ with dates
>>
>corrupt university president neglects humanities institutes because its the country's communist nest
>humanities buildings in ruins while engineering etc are half-privatized (some are named after fucking banks) and look like shopping malls
>History institute is full of fully fledged communists that keep recruiting new students for their cause, cycle goes on
>students keep defacing the building by painting shit like "legalize weed" and "communism or WAR!", contributing to the university president's view on our institute
Its still the best in my country though and almost all research happens there. At least professors are not involved with any of this shit.
>>
>>875273
My nigger. What do you study? What year? Which college?
>>
i dropped out in grade 10 and learned all my history on 4chan
>>
>>875226
ffffuuuuck

I fucking love psychology, and wanted to go into neuroscience for a more empirical approach. Is it dead end tier?
>>
File: aggielandSaturday_title1.jpg (156 KB, 900x300) Image search: [Google]
aggielandSaturday_title1.jpg
156 KB, 900x300
TEXAS
TEXAS
AMC
FARMERS FIGHT
FARMERS FIGHT

>Everyone is super hype to be here
>Love for University borders on cult levels
>Awesome Senior Military College Corps of Cadets
>shit-tons of funding
>Aggie network

Downsides,
>our school spends shit-tons of cash on our third rate engineering program, more than anyone else in our entire state and it still won't get better
>our school doesn't spend cash on our agricultural department which is one of the finest in the entire world
>>
>>875941
>Implying midnight yell isn't awesome
>implying aggie muster isn't awesome
>Implying silver taps isn't awesome
>Implying we need cheerleaders when we've got yell leaders
>Implying you aren't some trash school like the carolina gamecocks or LSU
>>
File: uwa.jpg (105 KB, 499x466) Image search: [Google]
uwa.jpg
105 KB, 499x466
I really, really like the faculty of my school, but the administration is fucking it up something hardcore
>>
>study political science in israel
>professors are overwhelmingly leftists, read more opinion pieces/analyses by palestinians than jews

whew lads
>>
>>875226
What the hell? That's like one of the biggest growing sectors
>>
File: 1458498927511.jpg (34 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1458498927511.jpg
34 KB, 540x960
>>876044
Doesn't mean shit when degree is from diploma mill like op
>>
>>875362
underrated post
>>
>>875434

UNAM?
>>
>>875939
One of my friends did ROTC there and now works for the Forest Service.

P jelly t b h m i f a m i l i a
>>
>>875362
I know you're just having some cheeky banter but honestly it's p difficult to summarize a nation of 300+ million people that's a couple thousand miles across.

It might not have a national culture extending back centuries, but there's culture, even if it's transplanted and mostly fostered by diasporas (I'm specifically thinking about the ethnic enclaves where I live in southern California). Honestly, the Little Saigons and Koreatowns and whatnot are good option to be able to experience some authentic food without leaving the country.
>>
>>874839
A pretty good one too, the primary reason I want to go KCL is because I could spend a year abroad at U of Chicago.
>>
>>873021
>KCL
>"shitty"
Top kek, it's a good uni overall; how many have you actually been? Last time I checked KCL is much better than most unis in the UK
>>
File: shelby.png (461 KB, 640x471) Image search: [Google]
shelby.png
461 KB, 640x471
>>873021
Almost went there on my exchange program, ended up out in Kent instead, classes are a joke, nice pubs though.
>>
>>875434
UFRJ?
>>
w&m
students = mainly privileged kids from NoVA, history dept is fantastic tho--p much everything outside of the academics is absolute shite
>>
>>875929
Why even live if its not to be pawns for other people?
>>
>>873021
KCL is literally just below Oxbridge tier.
>>
>>875982
Gotta stay competitive.
>>
I went to Brown, it was good but probably over-rated
>>
Cambridge
>SJWs and PC everywhere

I just want to make shitty racist jokes and memes, is that too much to ask?
>>
>>873049
>>873021
My uncle is a history professor there. He has a really gross acquired Welsh/American accent. Can confirm.
>>
File: lancs.jpg (37 KB, 960x593) Image search: [Google]
lancs.jpg
37 KB, 960x593
Lancaster University
>constantly going on about being a top 10 uni
>no-one's heard of it
>internationals everywhere
>chavvy cunts all over the city (yes, it's a small as fuck city)
>main student club is the worst of all time

Pro's: We do have ducks walk around campus with us to lectures which is bretty comfy.

>>875401
m8 I hate the shit we give you.
>>
>>876281
By stripping out entire faculties?
>>
Can I ask what uni in the UK is decent enough? I want to study here (I'm Italian) to get a good job in the future...
>>
>>877002
Any university that is within the top 10 overall would be a start. Then look specifically at the course you want to do etc.
>>
>>876193
>w&m
you all are a bunch of uppity cunts

>t. Virginia Tech
>>
>>877016
thanks
>>
>decide to renovate 2 dorms at once
>accept more students than normal despite being down two dorms
>more students than expected actually ended up following through
>school now over capacity even if we weren't down 2 dorms

And to make it better
>dorms were supposed to knocked down, completed over summer
>instead they hadn't even finished demolishing when the Fall semester began
>all the while the school's also building a $25 million Zeppelin hangar for the football team to practice in
>Zeppelin hangar gets built faster than it took to knock down a single dorm

The only solace is that the schools in my home state made even more retarded decisions.
>>
>>875929
To be fair, the focus of college should be for learning more than employment.

However, I generally agree with that sentiment - most people are going to college to further their career, but the vast majority of jobs shouldn't need a college degree, especially a liberal arts degree.
>>
KCL is a good school... what is this meme?
>>
>>875982
Damn, didn't expect to see UWA in here. What faculty are you?
>>
>>873021
Lemme guess, art major?
>>
>>875463
Collingwood, Fresher

Not telling you my course as that could easily tell you who I am
>>
>horrendously corrupt and shitty student politics
>the most retarded over the top "progressives" in the country
>not in London

what university am i describing
>>
>>878107
>Bristol
>Oxford
>Cambridge
>Manchester
Just a few that come to mind

But the answer probably is every university not in London.
>>
>>878120
Oxford is correct
>>
File: image.png (158 KB, 663x487) Image search: [Google]
image.png
158 KB, 663x487
You are complaining about one of the best universities in the world. It's not THE best but its up there.

Fuck off prestige whore. This is coming from a student from imperial.
>>
>>878261
>not doing the pull over
>2016
>>
File: image.png (12 KB, 619x238) Image search: [Google]
image.png
12 KB, 619x238
lol what the fuck is going on
>>
>>878261
>kings college
>top university

TOP KEK
>>
>>873021
London is full of foreign students.
>>
>Full of Oxbridge rejected, Southern English, Upper middle class yahs.
>Student politics massively corrupt, safe spaces and paid "liberation" officers.
>Rated highly but the teaching is atrocious.
>Everyone identifies as communist even though they live off daddy's money.
>You will get lynched if you're even remotely "right wing" or don't call someone by their proper pronoun.

You get 3 guesses.
>>
>>876952
Anything else you can tell me about it? I applied there...
>>
Who else is red here?
http://www.spiked-online.com/free-speech-university-rankings
>>
>>876164
What are you studying?
>>
>>878411
To be fair it's a pretty good uni - good services, structure etc.
Getting settled in is easy with it being all on campus, the college system makes things even easier (I was a freshers' rep earlier this year - helping people to integrate and stuff).

Anything specific you want to know?
>>
File: wren building.jpg (165 KB, 1024x779) Image search: [Google]
wren building.jpg
165 KB, 1024x779
>requires Ivy league effort
>almost unknown outside the Mid-Atlantic
>>
>>878261
i go to imperial, this is fun
>>
>>878406
durham
>>
>>878483
No, but good guess, I suppose it isn't that obvious nowadays.
Fuck the 3 guesses, it was Edinburgh.
>>
>>878436
Not anything specific, anything to do with the culture, city. What are you studying?
>>
>>878077
Welp, I'm postgrad and at Cuths. And I only know other postgrads desu
>>
>>878460
What is that
>>
It feels bizarre that people complain about Oxbridge when I'm attending a place that ranks 401-500. I know the rankings are based mostly on STEM articles, but still.
>>
>>878699

The oldest academic building in America, at the College of William & Mary
>>
>>878738
Oh I live on cali and have applied to wm for a transfer. Also applied ucsd ucd and kcl.
>>
File: MIT+logo.png (73 KB, 1023x444) Image search: [Google]
MIT+logo.png
73 KB, 1023x444
>Full of nerds
>Humanities and arts are viewed as inferior
>>
>>878765
>Humanities and arts are viewed as inferior
It's because they are

>t. engineering student
>>
>>878765
I mean, they're not wrong

>t. humanities student
>>
File: 1824myarse.jpg (64 KB, 986x406) Image search: [Google]
1824myarse.jpg
64 KB, 986x406
Neat uni thread?

>>878120
You're mostly wrong there. At Manc even the humanities departments kept progressivism out of the lecture hall. At least unlike the London unis most of the people are white [spoiler]or Chinese, Jesus fuck there's so many Chinese[/spoiler]

>>878261
I wouldn't trust a degree from Kings or Imperial, in my mind it's a shithole where Arabs pay a fee and get given a PhD for their troubles
>>
>>878527
My degree is Geography, focused around Politics and Development.

The city's a little small and quite quiet although the locals are shit-tier.
There's plenty of nice scenic areas and lots of hidden spots, i've been here for a year and a half and still finding out places I never knew existed.
Nightlife is alright, nothing special - the main nightclub is the Sugarhouse which isn't amazing, I prefer EDM events that go on in other places. Don't come here if you're after amazing nightlife and partying, Lancaster isn't the place for that.
Honestly, settling in is nothing to worry about. The accomodation across campus is really good, consistently winning awards for the best in the country. Townhouses are good for the social aspect, they're what I lived in my first year. As for colleges, it doesn't really make that much of a difference - Cartmel & County are the two on the far ends of the campus (South & North respectively) and people normally complain about having to walk the extra 5 mins to lectures lel. Second year people normally move out into town and you'll have to find housing fairly quickly although it's again nothing to be concerned about.
>>
>>878825
Thanks for the info. Ill look into it some more. Seems nice.
>>
>>878892
No worries m8
>>
>>878518
My man. I go there as well - rejected from oxford. What do you study? I haven't found it to be that left wing desu, more centre-left. Everyone I've met is willing to listen to opposing viewpoints (even my v conservative ones)
>>
>>873021
>professors have horrible accencts
I'm sorry about your ears? How is this even a complaint?
>>
>>878949
I just imagine Scotland being a cesspit of people who are incredibly left-wing as a result of never having to experience immigrants.
>>
>>878949
CS, second year, you?

>>879004
This is accurate to my experience.
>>
>>878754

oh no way, I'm originally from SoCal too and also got into UCSD. Ended up choosing W&M because I wanted to do history and gtfo of SoCal.

If history's what you're after the professors are some of the best in the country, but they also assign a ton of fucking work. Also if you end up going, go Greek or you'll wish you had.
>>
>>879013
History, first year
>>
>>875362
Please tell me you're joking.
>>
File: ok.jpg (52 KB, 727x256) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
52 KB, 727x256
Lots of Marxists among our socsci and humanities faculty (and one or two in our econ department).

All continental philosophy all the time (not a fedoralord, just sucks that the mix isn't better). Upside is we have great placement for folks that study here.

Good place to get a STEM education, our PoliSci department is respected in American politics, our philosophy department is respected in its own little bubble, our econ department has good game theorists and a bamf demographer.

Beyond that, I do not know.
>>
>>879314
How are you finding it? I did a history module as an outside course and it was awful. It actually used hand outs from the Womens' studies department.
>>
>>878658
Archaeology then.
Cuths bar is great
>>
>>879365
Is it? I've only been a few times desu. I don't really see much of a difference between them all
>>
>>879454
I'd say it's one of the best... what course are you?
>>
>tfw messed up my a-levels due to feeling too much stress
>tfw see all my friends go off to great universities with high prospects for the future
>I'm just sitting on 4chan hoping that some shit hole university will take me in
how do I turn my life around /his/?
>>
>>879498
>Go to one of the top universities in my country
>Haven't left my apartment for the last 4 days because of stress
You aren't missing out on anything.
>>
>>879498
Did you apply to kcl?

I bet they will take you.
>>
Any of y'all niggers know about Georgetown?

I want to go down the Foreign Policy/Diplomacy track, and that seems like the place to be.
>>
>>879605
just looked up their entry requirements
>A,A,A
I am apparently not that smart. Also I don't like the idea of living in London due to the high rent prices.
My current plans are just to go to Wolverhampton University to study politics (as it's one of the few I can actually get into with my shitty results). After that I have no clue where my life is going.
>>
>>879355
Not bad so far. I haven't seen very much hyper-progressivism at all (eg in British history there was very little 'muh colonialism', although it was a bit Whiggish overall). What was the outside course that you took?
>>
>>879486
Classics, so not so far from you I guess. Only here for the one year though
>>
>>879639
European History 1a, Early modern Europe 1500-1792. It was dreadful.
>>
>>879498
Get a job in training for an industry. Better than wasting your time in a poly. That's what I did, and it's got me money if nothing else.
>>
>>875226
You're not supposed to yolo into a degree like that retard. Whatever, as long as you can move and work an internship you should be fine.
>>
>>875362
American here, this is true. I mean bongs acting snobby isnt much more culitural then s having protestants and rednecks, but yeah were mostly just work on our career and drink.
>>
>>879637
They let me in and I'm an american
>>
>>879685
Ugh - took that one as well. Too much bloody social history
>>
>>879749
Absolutely. We didn't once look at a map, or discuss the consolidation of power, or protestantism. Only witches, sexism, slavery and French absolutism. Truly disgusting.
>>
>>879314
Would have been in first year history at Edinburgh had I not rejected my offer and gone to work for a year.

Should be starting this year instead. Applied for History and Classics as well as re-applying for and was rejected though. Bit worried that they'll also reject my History application and I'll have to fuck off to Aberdeen.

One thing I'm curious about; is the History course full of private school babbies?

I'm from Edinburgh anyway and I know what the student population is like but I'm curious as to whether the Oxbridge rejects have some sort of preponderance in humanities as I imagine they might.
>>
>>879848
In my experience, yes. Stem is almost entirely international, but the humanities are just full of English private (and public) school kids.
>>
>>879856
Oh christ I can't be arsed with that shite.

Those sorts discomfit me and exacerbate my autism.
>>
>>873021

are the mods asleep or something? What the hell is wrong with you faggots?
>>
>>879888
I'm English, and even I can't stand those middle class cunts. Even the Scots here are pretentious fucks. Whereabouts are you in Edinburgh?
>>
>>879848
Those with plummy voices and red trousers definitely have a high propensity to take subjects like History, Classics, History of Art, Geo etc. Edinburgh is no exception (A guy I know goes to every lecture in a tweed blazer). I've gotten to know quite a few of them in my course - but I have yet to encounter any of the stereotypical obnoxious 'yahs'
>>
>>879911
I'm actually in Midlothian close to Bonnyrigg, only about 10 miles from the city centre though.

Whereabouts are you?
>>
>>879926
City centre, old town-Newington. Standard student area, listening to the creatures of Cowgate.
>>
>tfw studying law at AUT
I know it's accredited, but fuck me it looks bad to do a law degree at a Tech school. At least we've got a shittone of firms sponsoring us to make up for it
>>
>>879932
Comfy.

I imagine I'll just stay at home in my shitey poverty containment village if I end up at Edinburgh.

For the sake of curiousity, do you like the city?
>>
>>879943
I absolutely love it. Of course it has its issues, like the council seeming hell bent on losing the world Heritage status, and even though I have no connection, what was done in the late 60's to Bristo Street and the area frustrates me to no end. I love the hipster independent shops though, and the architecture just anywhere. I see the castle every time I walk out the flat. Decent pubs, good food, a good social life, and it's safe. Plus the air is good, and the water is tasty. Compared to the shithole that I come from, it's comfy as fuck here, even with the abuse because I'm English.
>>
>>879976
Have you been to the street near grassmarket with all the used bookshops? One of the comfiest places in the city.
>>
>>879991
Yeah, that and the farmers' market on Saturday are beyond comfy. Or an Oink when you're hungover. I'll really miss this city.
>>
>>879605
>>879637
their acceptance rate as of 2014 is 13%, not very likely. I don't even know how I got in.

t. King's student
>>
>>879625
It is a famous college, and is one of the most respected for politics. I would also suggest looking at American university to since they are close to each other have similiar levels of respect in the field you''re looking at.
>>
>>879914
I know a tweed jacket guy who is pretty based, he's a German guy who basically says everything is bullshit but in a way I think anon can relate to
>>
>>878754
UCD is pretty fucking sweet man. Campus is cozy as fuck, cost of living is cheap, and we have some top tier history instructors who make themselves stupid available. What type of history you interested in?
>>
>>875939
Sitting in annex right now
I don't know, some of our ag facilities are pretty good like the equestrian complex
>>
>9 out of 10 people in the History program are meathead Kinesiology majors who just want to coach high school and figure that since their high school coaches doubled as shitty social studies and history teachers, that they should follow in their footsteps.
>despite being a university, it has community college level acceptance standards so it's full of the local ghetto trash that inhabits the surrounding area
>professors are genuinely knowledgeable about their fields, but they constantly dumb down their lectures, exams, and written assignments to cater to aforementioned ghetto trash who can't handle more than the bare minimum of difficulty
>the professors who actually strive to have a challenging course that both educates and encourages students to create their own thesis and interpretations of text and events are generally shunned and can expect to have more than a 50% course drop rate by the end of the semester.
>shitty place to get a masters or Ph. D in anything other than Texas, Mexican, or Southern history.
>library selection is generally terrible
>parking is shit

I really feel like I didn't earn my BA in History (yes, I know a BA is basically has basically the same amount of prestige as a high school diploma or GED nowadays) because the vast majority of courses were too easy. I only had two professors that had the balls to have challenging course work and I struggled immensely with both because, as I said before, there is a culture of not being willing to challenge to student body at this school (its basically everyone's last resort when shit goes wrong which is what forced me to spend 3 years there). I'll probably stay in the UT system to get my Masters in History (a joke of a degree, I know) but I sure as hell won't do it here.
>>
>>879914
I went to Edinburgh University in my Erasmus, I made the mistake of taking a sociology class which was a fucking joke.
But I had fun debatting in my International Politics class.
>>
York
>humanities is a joke despite being fairly highly ranked.
>study English literature and art history why.jpg
>have three hours of contact time a week
>spend three years goofing off without doing anything and never applying myself
>still wrangle a 2:1
>struggle to find a job afterwards because I chose a useless degree and I was lazy.

I've redeemed myself now IMO but Jesus Christ was I a piece of human excrement back then. I swear that people like me should be obliged to spend a few years working before university so we don't go to university and act like man children.
>>
I go to birkbeck. Zizek is my seminar tutor
>>
>>875939
The Ag college is basically its own operation that funds itself.
>>
>>881264
Hello Fellow York citizen

Where abouts are you now.
>>
File: rocket.jpg (27 KB, 451x338) Image search: [Google]
rocket.jpg
27 KB, 451x338
>>878415
History/Education
>>
>>881366
Paris, teaching in an international school. It's pretty poorly organised but anything is better than teaching in the UK right now.
>>
>>881279
How loud are his *sniffs* in real life?
>>
File: 1458831093837.webm (692 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1458831093837.webm
692 KB, 720x404
>have to choose between Glasgow (good uni, shit people), Stirling (decent uni, good people, nice campus too), and Aberdeen (it's just there)

Why even live /his/?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-23-09-31-43.png (336 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-23-09-31-43.png
336 KB, 1440x2560
Is it actually bad or just a meme? Thinking about neuroscience at kcl have an offer
>>
>>881916
Microsoft bot supports self harm

you should fake an attempt and sue.
>>
>>876193
Fucking Nerd
>history, IR double major at W&M
>tfw you are the cancer
>>
>>876122
Ya desalojen el che guevarra, pinches chairos.
>>
>>878460
>Ivy League effort
>>
>>881916
Its legit a pretty shitty russel group uni.
>>
>>881279

Fuarrk, tell us what he's like in real life
>>
I went to Aberdeen only because I already lived in the city and I did a boring as fuck STEM degree I disliked. I really hated my time at university and gained nothing.

I remember in my first year I was walking to the (old, way too small, run down, and very lovable because nobody went there) library and hearing two girls walking in front of me talking. One of them said that people who go the library are weirdos. That should give you an indication of the intellectual culture of that dump. Of course that old library was knocked down and a new shiny one was opened which is fucking infested with normies socialising and posting on social media about how they're in the library.
>>
>>877118
History my friend
What else?
>>
>>881830
Choosing between Aberdeen and Scumdee if Edinburgh reject me.

Conspicuous advantage of living in Scotland; you have to be a 24 carat spastic to end up at anything other than a respectable uni. Caveat to that is the possibility of ending up at a decent uni in a poverty-stricken leftist cesspit like Glumgow or Scumdee.
>>
>>882379
See my post above.

Is Aberdeen bad enough that you would consider going to Scumdee as an alternative?
>>
>>882500

No. 4chan is full of shitty career advice. If I had to give one compact heuristic for choosing universities, it would be to pick them based solely on rankings. Telling a 17 year old to do that would lead them to better outcomes than telling them to consider X, Y, Z etc.
>>
>>882474

lets go to aberdeen lad

if i fail to get into glasgow
>>
>>879332
I went here too. Majored in history. I enjoyed the faculty a lot but the fact that I was a commuter student meant I didn't spend too much time on the campus. I remember them religiously ticketing my car every few weeks, even a few times where I was parked in the correct lot.

The school tried to push some semblance of university pride during the orientation I went to. No one seemed to be into it. Massive fucking waste of time, so I just ducked out and went to find the buildings/rooms that my classes were in. Funny enough I got a notice a few weeks later that I had to re-attend part of the orientation (guess they figured out I bailed). Who would've thought at an orientation I'd want to know the campus better rather than listen to stupid song-and-dance propaganda about how 'awesome' the university was?
>>
Who /QueensUniversityBelfast/ here?
>>
>>873021
>Lecture on global history qua work
>required reading: book written by lecturer
>cites wikipedia in it
>"Global history" is just as eurocentric in this lecture - only discuss the effects on europe
>>other peoples only exist insofar as they affect europe
>>literally the same as classic eurocentrism
>only come to class 2 times
>read through a 12 page script once right before the test
>pass
>>
>>882736
kek, whats the book called?
>>
I've got into St. Andrew's, Edinburgh, Trinity College Dublin, and Durham. Where do I go?

Context:
Am Amurifat, applied for Single Honors History Degree
>>
>>882082
lmao i'm planning on transferring asap
>IR
senpai join me in studying history and africana studies
fave history prof?
>>882090
ikr what is this guy saying
can study 3-4 nites/week and 4.0 it ez
>>
>>882877

St Andrew's or Edinburgh, Dublin is meh, and Durham is trash
>>
>>882877
St Andrew's is the best of those by far.
>>
>>882889

What makes Dublin meh? The campus is in a great location and is p neat. Is it the program itself? I haven't been able to directly compare Trinity with the Brit unis because they don't use the same rankings for degrees.
>>
>>882852
Its also just a 200 pg booklet/cashgrab, and in german.

Arbeit, eine globalhistorische Perspektive
>>
File: CVTVPQHPKJAENQD.20130419170409.jpg (35 KB, 800x571) Image search: [Google]
CVTVPQHPKJAENQD.20130419170409.jpg
35 KB, 800x571
>tfw your BoT decides to fuck up everything that made your school great
>all so that they can have D1 athletics at a school with a population around 1300

The administration has changed, the culture has changed; this place is basically completely different from the service-based school I applied to three years ago.
>>
>>882877

Ignore these plebs.

>>882921
>>882889

St. Andrews was ranked in the 20s before Prince William went there. It's literally a meme.
>>
>>882877
Fuck Dublin and St. Andrew's doesn't deserve its reputation (and is boring as fuck to study at). Durham is good but the city is small, Edinburgh is good and the city is much better, but I think Durham is ranked higher.
>>
>>875939
If you aren't in the corps you should literally fucking kill yourself
>>
>>879332
Dilworth is a bro
>>
>>882669
What's a seawolf?
>>
>>882671
Ja, compsci here, yourself?
>>
>>873021
>Go to Cambridge
>literally the home of moral sanctimony
>still the centre of Western academia for the last 800 years

It's an abstract kind of feel
>>
File: raretrotsky.png (15 KB, 528x624) Image search: [Google]
raretrotsky.png
15 KB, 528x624
>York
> Not a 'bad' uni but certainly not considered outstanding
>not bad but not really good
>Avarage
>sums up my life
> all friends that went academical are at London/Oxbridge
>pic related is avarage student, complete with "REEE"
>infamously shit SU
at least there's a cheap bar within 30 seconds walk, and you get decent sized baggies.
>>
>>885237
It is the alma mater of Morality Man, though.
>>
The lovely Warwick University

> Free Education fags constantly sharting up the busses with their protests
> same group trying to get BP kicked off campus despite them paying for one of our study spaces
> University known as red warwick
> BDS movements all over the place
> our SU president when elected was asked what his main focus would be
> Bring down capitalism was his reply
> more SJW cuckery than any other uni I don't care what you all think it's worse here
> my housemate in January tried to organise a debate in Arabic society where the Israeli ambassador would debate a Palestinian representative
> my god the hate mail he received
> free speech is considered dangerous
> safe spaces everywhere

Anyway I've got to get back to my gulag before they catch me
>>
>>877029
UCL, Imperial, LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick are generally considered the best. Afterwards come durham, Exeter, Bristol, etc.
>>
>>885301
Well, shit, I was thinking of applying to Warwick. Guess I should go to Bristol, or should I apply for Durham to study History instead? Help me out Britbros.
>>
>>885314
Warwick guy here, Bristol is good, I know a guy doing compsci there. Warwick isn't so bad as long as you stay out of student politics. They had these mandatory consent classes a while a go and this guy stood up and said he wasn't a rapist and he now can't go to lectures or bars for fear of being physically assaulted.
>>
>>885314
If all you care about are academics then go for Warwick. If you care about student culture, etc. Then I would still advise you to tolerate and apply to Warwick.
>>
What are the best schools in the Western New York/ Buffalo area for avoiding SJW bullshit and getting a legit education?
>>
What are some good uni's in UK? From reading this thread it seems like every top ranked uni is somehow shit.
>>
>>885319
>>885317
>Warwick isn't so bad as long as you stay out of student politics
Alright, isn't the Uni Warwick pretty far outside of the city? Also I'm a rather financial person, would shit be expensive if I would study in Warwick? (I heard Bristol's pretty expensive for daily stuff)
Also, how's the History faculty there? I keep reading they got an impressive one, but I don't wanna be riddled with professors applying modern morals to the past.
>>
As if someone gets in and writes my criticisms of Warwick before I do. One of my history seminars just descends into bollox left wing crap, everyone trying to feel bad about what non-Europeans went through as though empathy is analysis.

I had to go to one of those consent workshops that was in the news earlier this year. Fucking irritated the fuck out of me because potentially it could have been useful, highlighting issues around consent. Nope. Just ended up being a tirade about 'rape culture' with some fucking labour society cunt trying to out-left wing everyone. Purely so that a bunch of cunt puritans can feel good about themselves and put it on their CV, not to actually help anything, as is the way with lefties at Warwick

The Cops off campus shit is on YouTube, might post it at some point. That got retarded pretty fast.

I'm not even right wing and I fucking hate all these lefties. Pop is alright though
>>
Academically most Russell groups are fine. Warwick is perfectly good academically. Ask any maths student here and they will come out with a speech claiming that while they aren't Cambridge, they cover similar things.

Foreign (East Asian) students can be a big problem at some of the top tier ones though. Top unis take more foreign students because they get more cash from them. East Asian students on the whole just don't want to interact with the other students. Here at Warwick, it really feels like a university within a university.
>>
>>878825
>EDM
>>
>>885333
Tell me about it, cops off campus was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. What year are you in?
>>
>>885317
>mandatory consent classes

That sounds agonising.
>>
Second year. I came out of the cost cutter (as it was called back in the day) and saw them on the night the 'oppression' happened. They were all running around the cone shouting at the large amount of police that had come. One of the police told me he had been dragged away from a burglary to deal with a bunch of stuck up middle class children who are convinced they are leading a revolution.
>>
>>885353
Second year also.

Just to add some balance to the criticisms, Leamington is fucking fantastic and kelseys is one of the best places in the world. If you make it past first year (not difficult as pop is one of the best nights out in the world) then you will enjoy your time there.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (34 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
34 KB, 480x360
>Strasbourg
>really tries to sell itself as capital of European Union
>approx 5% of the students are locals, rest are foreigners or from other parts of France
>they will all try to convince you that the uni they were at before was better
>except for the med school drunkards who live far away from the rest of other students, everyone is quiet
>no student clubs
>lot of libraries
>apparently the only french university where you can buy alcohol at the cafeteria
>>
not a fan of the bus rides desu. My instinct right now is to ask what modules you do, yet I feel that might be creepy on 4chan
>>
You're a prostitute aren't you
>>
>>885367
I'm phil not history, so you wouldn't know me from uni. Unless you worked a certain part time job that we shouldn't be talking about, especially on an Congolese pot crafting forum.
>>
>>885379
Yes, you have found me out. Also if you don't know what I was talking about then you probably don't know me irl. It's still astonishing to find another Leamingtonian who doesn't subscribe to the SJW mandate.
>>
>>882352
He rarely ever turns up and most of his stuff is subordinated to his lessers. He's more calm and reserved in real life though but when you get him into a proper discussion, the ziz whizz flies into action
>>
File: lu-logo-proposed.png (10 KB, 400x140) Image search: [Google]
lu-logo-proposed.png
10 KB, 400x140
Loughborough

it's alright, got in by the skin of my teeth. Two of my tutors are well respected in the Anarchist school so it's interesting to talk to them about that.

Loughborough town is utter wank though
>>
File: reclaim-the-night.jpg (86 KB, 500x291) Image search: [Google]
reclaim-the-night.jpg
86 KB, 500x291
Manc's SU needs to die in a fucking fire. Some cunt came into my lecture to ask us to vote for him because he's supporting free education lmfao

>>878792
>At Manc even the humanities departments kept progressivism out of the lecture hall.

Idk, one of the third year politics modules is literally only contemporary Marxist criticisms of capitalism. Get your red beret mate.
>>
>>885418
One of my friends goes there and I popped over for a night out.
You're not wrong brother.
>>
File: LOADSAMONE.jpg (6 KB, 198x201) Image search: [Google]
LOADSAMONE.jpg
6 KB, 198x201
>>885253
Don't forget money man
>>
>>881830
Somebody got rejected by St.Andrews and/or Edinburgh, didn't they
>>
>>885529
>St.Andrews
Is that chock full of wankers or have I just had bad luck in who I meet from there?
>>
>>885538
I'm a maths and stats student there (St. Andrews), and if say it's about 30/40% wankers but it's easy enough to just not bother with them. It's actually a pretty good uni but I can only vouch for the maths department
>>
>>885325

Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow, even Strathclyde and Stirling are good when looking in Scotland, St. Andrews is excluded thanks to only getting a reputation through a few royals going there occasionally
>>
File: hauptgebaeude_0004_heike_zappe.jpg (3 MB, 3072x2048) Image search: [Google]
hauptgebaeude_0004_heike_zappe.jpg
3 MB, 3072x2048
>le hype city of Berlin
>befromberlinwtfyouallwantheregobacktoyourfuckingcduvillage
>1000s of retards who just want to be and who don't care about history at all
>profs know that and mostly don't give a fuck
>hyper elitism
>my real education lasted only two years cause it's hard to prove you're worthy
It's all right though.
>>
>>878518
that wasn't my experience
>>
>>885310
In what world are UCL and Imperial ranked above Durham? Imperial for medicine sure, but not for humanities
>>
>>885435
graduating this july so I won't be subjected to it for much longer
>>
>>885310
>>885777
Sorry, not just medicine but sciences and tech in general.
>>
>>885329
The university is a bus ride out of the city. Or you can walk it, it's not so long. A lot of the students live in Leamington Spa, which is the next town over. I don't know how much rent is there, or how much halls cost. If you want to live in Coventry, a short distance from the Uni, it's between £275-350 a month, depending on how nice you want your place to be
>>
>>885784
>Or you can walk it, it's not so long
Noice, guess I could just easily travel with my bicycle there. What about the tuition fees for the courses? From what I've heard they're basically almost all the same for UK/EU students with 9,000£ a year, would be great if I got some confirmation.
>>
I got into kings, is it actually a good uni or is it just a meme?
>>
>>885803
Oh yeah, you can easily cycle. You'll wanna invest in a good lock though. For undergrad they're all 9k-ish, no variation as far as I know.
>>
File: cf-logo.gif (87 KB, 600x601) Image search: [Google]
cf-logo.gif
87 KB, 600x601
>uni buildings scattered all across Venice
>the philsophy department isn't continental enough for my taste
>we have exams every two months
>the dean is a manipulative bastard, conniving with corrupted politicians and known embezzlers to fuck students repeatedly

Other than that, it's an incredibly good university in an incredibly beautiful city and I wouldn't change it with anything - but I'll go to Universitetit Gent next year with an Erasmus program so I hope it'll be nice.
>>
>>885783
First of all, imperial doesn't even have humanities. Second, imperial is better for sciences than durham and UCL is better for most social sciences, humanities subjects, and some sciences. Global rankings don't lie babe.
>>
>>885783
Also, UCL and imperial have better international reputations.
>>
>>885909
>>885912
Bullshit is UCL better than Durham for humanities. When did you last look at the rankings?
>>
just checked the league tables

Loughborough is 11th

when on earth did this happen, we're beating UCL

mental
>>
File: camerfrown.jpg (29 KB, 468x327) Image search: [Google]
camerfrown.jpg
29 KB, 468x327
>>885310
>looking at domestic league tables
>thinking they matter at all
>thinking oxbridge reject unis are better than redbricks for literally anything
>thinking warwick is on par with LSE/Oxbridge

somebody get 6th formers out of this thread
>>
File: imgres.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
Quite good overall, but there's some downsides

>if you're in older buildings, the rooms are small
>pretty right wing in general

Still better than fucking Amsterdam.
>>
>>885343
I'm not proud of it either m8
>>
Postgrad at Warwick. Did undergraduate at a literally who university which I got into without A levels, now somehow at a top 10 uni. I feel lucky.
>>
>>886240
What are you studying senpai?
>>
File: images.png (11 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images.png
11 KB, 384x384
>studying accounting
>haven't been able to get internships or vacation work
>>
>>885556
Only go to Strathclyde if you want to do a STEM course though.
>>
>>885828

I go to KCL as a postgraduate, it's very disorganised but other than that its good teaching in my department. What are you applying for?
>>
>>885973
Maybe my info on humanities is a bit out of date but I'm right on most ocial sciences and definitely right about international reputation. Durham is a very good school but UCL and imperial are generally considered to be a tier above it.
>>
>>886119
I'm talking about job prospects/grad school in the UK. Globally, Warwick wouldn't be on that list and LSE would probably get bumped off too.
>>
File: bd6.png (40 KB, 200x207) Image search: [Google]
bd6.png
40 KB, 200x207
>>886510
Msci neuro.
>>
>>876952
It actually is shit. Doesn't deserve to be in the top 10.

What I find funny is that UCLan look up to you lot. Says a lot about the UCLan twats.
>>
UoManchester is a shithole.
>Free speech society is silenced by the union and its funding is cut.
>Union bar is one of the most expensive in the country because it holds public concerts to raise money for its progressive programs.
>'Reclaim the night' shuts down an entire A road for an evening of 'muh 3 in 5'.
>MYMANCHESTER IS DOWN RIGHT NOW REEEEEE
>Radical feminists everywhere. When the fappening happened I played dumb when someone was talking about it and went 'oh isn't that the thing with the nudes?' and this girl nearby overhears, literally screams 'FEMINISM' and shouts at me for 10 minutes.
>Lost 3 marks off an academic essay because I used the word 'layman' instead of 'layperson'.

I agree that in the classroom they try not to let identity politics and such get in the way. I think its because I do economic history mainly.
>>
>>873021
What are some good universities that haven't been infiltrated by communist/SJW's?
>>
>>886639

One of my friends graduated from that course recently and she enjoyed it though find the teaching to be a bit dry.
>>
>>885301
Yep. Warwick is fucked. You know 'rape man'? The guy who objected to the consent classes we were supposed to go to?
>>
>>885333
> Pop is alright.

If you like easy girls/involved in sports I get you, otherwise nah.
>>
>>885355
>>885353

All these Warwick students. Kelseys is fucking amazing, had some great nights there. The Leamington locals who go there are odd as fuck though.
>>
Algun latino ahí
>>
>>886755
UClan Twat here....

Don't admire Lancaster, but to be honest we suck.

Our Humanities/ language departments are the only decent things though and even then...
>>
>>888095
You're both shit. And you're humanities are equally bad, don't kid yourself. 260 UCAS points for English Lit.
>>
>>888118
your humanities*
>>
>>888118
Here's the (You) you wanted.

Try not to get too excited
>>
>>880266

>similiar levels of respect in the field you''re looking at.

lol no, American is crap
>>
>>888462
I didn't expect much from someone with 260 UCAS points, bud. Don't worry.
>>
File: mzl.vkginptk.png (1 MB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
mzl.vkginptk.png
1 MB, 1024x1024
>Glasgow
+Reputation
+Ranking
+Plenty of resources
-Spread out campus in the city
-Less enjoyable module topics (His&Pol)
-In Glasgow

>Stirling
+On Campus accommodation, dedicated campus
+Intersting module choices (His&Pol)
+Not in Glasgow
-Ranking

Honestly suprised I'm having this debate with muself, couple of other options which i csre for less mostly due to geography and personal reasons, but I thought it would be a pretty easy choice of Glasgow over Stirling, yet I'm having second thoughts about it, after visits I just preferred the campus element of Stirling so much more, it just seemed like a better and easier layout, and it seems like it'd be easier to meet people too with the whole on-campus accommodation element to it, and the campus itself was lovely, but at the same time I'm not foolish enough to ignore Glasgow being the superior institution, but I feel less drawn to both the scenario and the modules offered for the courses, any advice?
>>
CSULB
SJSU
UCSC
UCR

UCSB, UCD, and UCI are still pending

Which one do I fucking go to
>>
>>888621
Irvine. Easily the best of the bunch.

Well, what major are you planning on?

I went to SJSU and my friend went to UCSC, ask me anything.
>>
>>888623
Chemical engineering

I applied to UCSC as electrical, though, since they don't have chemical.

the wait for decisions is fucking killing me
>>
>>888623
also, how fucked am I when it comes to finding non-liberal communities at UCSC?
>>
>>888632
Both my friend and I were humanties (philosophy for me and poli sci for him. >implying) so I'm not too sure on engineering in the schools but Irvine is much more science based. UCSC has a pretty baller environmental science area though.
>>888636
Zero chance. If you're not a Bernie supporter you're gonna be treated like Hitler.

Just noticed UCD in your list. I know they're a really good school in terms as far as research universities go but I'm not sure where they stand on more "practical" majors like chem. engineering.
>>
>>888640
thanks for the info, mate.

I guess I'll just wait it out and hope for the best, and I suppose I'll avoid UCSC, since I'd get fucking lynched, there
>>
>>888654
Sorry I couldn't really give more info, I just know more about humanities programs in my local universities since that's where I hang out most.
>>
>>887135
Oral Roberts
>>
getting a history degree at a mediocre school
unsure if I should kill myself or just enlist
>>
>>888712
I got a philosophy degree at a mediocre school. Now I am getting offers from top grad programs. You too can live a life of perpetual school enrollment!
>>
>>888732
feels like i'm at that point
feels fucking miserable
>>
>>886755
>It actually is shit. Doesn't deserve to be in the top 10.
But it is and for a reason, even if it's not as well known as other unis.
What's your grudge against the place?
>>
>>888551
how bad is Glasgow?
>>
>>888753
What reason is that? Because its students like the tennis courts and shit on campus.
>>
>>886399
that's because you go to fucking Deakin
>>
>>889798
True
>>
>international students

it's bloody foreigners you dainty twat
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.