[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one "study" history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 270x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 270x350
How does one "study" history?
>>
File: 90s pepe.jpg (43 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
90s pepe.jpg
43 KB, 396x385
Fantasize about how cool it would be to be a badass warrior from that culture that you like but have no actually link to.
>>
File: 1432933391906.gif (121 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1432933391906.gif
121 KB, 300x168
>>871113
Read literature and other materials from certain points in history and examine the events and culture from said points.You try to examine and understand these things from multiple perspectives and learn what other people's perspectives are and re-examine.
>>
>>871113
By playing EU4. Duh? How else?
>>
I remember being at a book store looking for new history books when some asian man walked up to me and asked if I was a history major, I said no I just like reading about history. He then proceeded to tell me how I could become a master of russian history or something and how to learn to speak russian and what schools to go to. When I left on my bike I passed him by a bus stop and we waved at each other. I just felt like sharing this story, I don't go to book stores much anymore.
>>
read read read read read read read read read AND read.
>>
File: 9d6.png (332 KB, 396x418) Image search: [Google]
9d6.png
332 KB, 396x418
>>871134
tfw book stores are all dead on my island.
>>
File: 1414448584270.jpg (143 KB, 1010x810) Image search: [Google]
1414448584270.jpg
143 KB, 1010x810
>>871130
>tfw I learned more from EU4 than 10+ years of schooling
>>
>>871149
Where do you live the Maldives? I'd pull the plug on any buildings too.
>>
>>871149
That's OK. Book stores rarely carry the books you should be reading, anyway.
>>
>>871154
I live in the USVI, an all around pretty nice place.
>>871164
the last store had a pretty decent stock, but ultimately you're right.
>>
>>871149
>tfw no qt book girl to discuss 19th century European history with
>>
>>871151
The great thing about Paradox games is that they actually let you visualize how history played out in real terms. Sure, it's obviously not perfectly accurate, but the by being able to see the continuation of events happen before your eyes you're MUCH better able to grasp the interconnectedness of it all.

For example, playing Victoria 2 helped me understand just how much shit went down in the 19th century. Sure, I had a rough understanding that the Civil War, the Taiping Rebellion, the Meiji Restoration, etc. all occurred around the same time, but my understanding was disparate and not at all unified. However, playing Vic2 made me realise that these events *where actually going on at the same time* and that people around the world would've been affected by or heard about both at the same time, so my understanding of world events went right up.
>>
>>871173
Check out Interlibrary Loans as an option, if money is an issue.
>>
>>871196
nah I'm well off. prosper family buisness and all. I just want to be able to get books locally instead of having to go through Amazon.
>>
>>871134
Kek, kinda brings back memories of my local book store.
>>871149
Then again, so does this.
>>
>>871134
I met my first and last girlfriend at a book store, and got my first books about the vietnam war and alexander the great there

I was great friends with the owner and he would often lend me books he thinks were cool about military leaders or leaders involved with great conflicts (didnt care for too much else because I was a kid) like Justinian, Genghis Khan, and Toyotomi Hideyoshi

When I heard he died from a heart attack I actually cried pretty hard.
>>
>>871201
Ah, like I said though: If you want to Git Gud, local is not gonna have what you're looking for.

I now treat book stores like I treat McDonalds. I'm not going to get something productive out of there, it's only because I neglected to plan something substantial, and I need something last minute.
>>
So where do you get, and what do you read?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.