[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you really "overcome" nihilism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 45.jpg (115 KB, 468x642) Image search: [Google]
45.jpg
115 KB, 468x642
There have been so many threads on nihilism and how you overcome it, people mention buddhism, nietzsche etc.
but seriously, do you really "overcome" nihilism?
for me it seems, that everything after nihilism is just made up, something you try to get yourself into, but you still know you're a nihilist in your heart.
>>
Naw, nihilism just goes through Hegelianism and gets better.
>>
eat a big tupperware of mushrooms alone in your apartment and then ask yourself the question the next day
>>
>>871027
You think about it for a while but then you move on with your life.
>>
The despair of nihilism needs to be overcome. After that you can value what you see fit how you see fit.
>>
>>871123
So you basically don't overcome it?!
>>
Nihilism is a morally truth-apt stance.

Existentialism is fabricating meaning from the nonsensical standpoint that humans require such an artificial construction to exist in happiness.

Non-cognitivism is inherently more logically grounded and sound, as it's simply the stance that moral statements cannot be truth-apt, as there is no evidence supporting them. It's not agnosticism, for agnosticism claims things without evidence as possible. Non-cognitivism does not see any reason to consider anything without tangible, observable, systematically repeatable evidence.

If you want to "overcome nihilism", think of things from a phenomenological point of view. Your "reality" is nothing but perception through your senses and feelings. What do you experience? What do you feel? Does some of what you experience feel good? Does some of what you experience feel bad? Regardless of any abstract or social fabrications behind what makes you feel good and bad, things exist as making you feel good and bad. It therefore makes the most sense, phenomenologically(your only window and experience of reality), to do the things that make you feel good, and not do the things that make you feel bad. Hedonism is logically grounded from a phenomenological standpoint, and there is no other standpoint of this nature which you can argue is worthwhile, as you only experience what you experience from your first-person perspective. There is nothing else to compare this to within your reality, everything that isn't your perception of the universe is an abstraction from your perspective.

tl;dr quit doing shit that makes you unhappy and do stuff that makes you happy and call it egoism.
>>
Try some psychs, the nihilism floats away
>>
I think stoicism kinda "overcomes" nihilism, because it is itself kinda nihilistic and doesn't make up some bs, but accepts the "nice" side of nihilism.
>>
>>871200
The problem with stoicism is that it is the model of a virtuous man that is to be fit through a certain set of behavior, and has moral and ethical realist dogma layered within, which is literally, made up bs.

These things aren't necessarily a requirement for the modern interpretation of the construct, and the pursuit of knowledge and unbiased understanding, and suppression of emotions that are negative to your reality ultimately enrich a man's life when successful. The philosophical stance also puts emphasis on maintaining a moral and just center, which, regardless of whether or not the fact makes you happy, is fabrication.

I'm not taking a shit on stoicism. I'm taking a shit on a single aspect of a good school of philosophy.
>>
Most nihilists I know then became either anarchists through the egoist tradition or pragmatists and stopped thinking about it
>>
>>871132
What about moving on do you not understand?
>>
>>871132

Not really. You just stop being depressed about it.

Nihilism is a segway to other things. One anon mentioned pragmatism; to be fully realized utilizes core nihilist concepts.

Once you've deconstructed the fabric of your reality it leaves you free to do something else. If you're nihilistic it's probably because you're depressed.

You accept that everything means nothing. It's a shock to your psyche and counterintuitive. Just use that as a jumping off point to find something you want to pursue and hopefully fulfilling your ambitions will make you happy.
>>
>>872412
Oh right, unless your ambitions are finding universal inherent meaning in anything. Then you're going to fail just like nietzsche did and be sad forever. Anything other than that, you should be good.
>>
>>871027
An individual person may not be able to overcome nihilism.
This does not mean all people are incapable of doing it.

What you look at when you see history and philosophy is that the despair of nihilism is a recent thing, which hapened shortly after the Death of God. In other words there were time periods were people lived without nihilism and one see's that 'meaning' was not centered in the deities until the rise of monotheism. As a matter of fact the very concept of 'meaning' didn't even exist until we got into Platonic/Aristotelian philosophy, particularly it's emphasis on moral impartives (that spooks outside yourself have the 'true' path), the emphasis on absolute truths that enabled this (a rejection of the Sophistics superior relativity stance), and metaphysical notions about the appearent reality being a shadow dependant on some Great Other for validation and identiy.

This is why Nietzche calls for a return to Pre-Socratic ways of thinking. Buddihism is not much about Overcoming nihilism as transforming from a state of despair to one of contentement.

I personally find the idea of the universe having or not having a meaning to be ridiculous linguistic nonsense. The universe simply is, meaning AND lack of meaning or human valuations and so the universe cannot be said to either have or have not a meaning.
>>
>>872433

I could see how it would be linguistically confusing but it's all pretty simple when explained correctly.

>Does the universe mean something
No
>Does the universe mean nothing
No

The universe exists.

You can say whatever you want about the universe but it starts getting subjective really fast beyond simply stating it exists.
>>
You don't 'overcome' nihilism you embrace it in a way that it will be the foundation of what ever it is you want your outlook in life will be.
>>
>>871027
The belief in nihilism is a CHOICE
The belief in religion is a CHOICE
Belief is a CHOICE

However, I am COMPELLED to follow the CATEGORICAL IMPERATIVE
>>
>>871027
>but seriously, do you really "overcome" nihilism?
Yes. Nietzsche analyzed the causes of nihilism and the shortsighted presuppositions that a nihilistic point of view rests on in Will to Power. When you reach his level of understanding, i.e. when your will reaches full alignment and realization with the will to power, nihilism becomes yet another growth from this monstrous universe of energy called will to power.
>>
>>872412
This anon took the words right out of my mouth.
>>
>>872377
Lmfao
>>
>>872416
I think the first step for those people is coming to terms with a more realistic understanding of what meaning is. Learning the value of personal good and appreciating life without external purpose.
>>
Although I do agree with the anons saying to try psychedelics, please be sure to do so safely and in a comfortable environment. Psychedelics have greatly improved my outlook on life, but it is paramount that you be responsible with them.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.