[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
God tier game, we can all agree, but how many historical inaccuracies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: 61C4NRJA0KL.jpg (81 KB, 500x410) Image search: [Google]
61C4NRJA0KL.jpg
81 KB, 500x410
God tier game, we can all agree, but how many historical inaccuracies does it have?

>Celts winning the battle of Falkirk
>Saracens not just being called Arabs
>'Western Roman Empire' a faction in the first Huns scenario which was clearly set in Western Asia hence the presence of Persia and Scythia
>Huns having the central European architecture when all evidence points to them being from the central Asian steppes
>>
>>869506
>>Saracens not just being called Arabs
Did the Syrians and Egyptians call themselves Arabs at this time? I once read Arab was a pejorative for Beduoins of the inner desert.
>>
How do I submit myself to the one and only religion of our ancestors had: wololoism?
>>
>>869531
Not sure, but Saracen was basically just a nickname for Arabs.
>>
>>869506
How about:

>general depiction of all troops being horrible and inaccurate
>Phalanx with roman style square shield
>"Legion" unit in AoE 1 having a round shield, Corinthian helmet and cape
>>
>>869537
You need a priest to convert you, which would seem to imply that not only wololoism is sacramental but there could be some form of apostolic succession.
>>
>>869551
Oh God yes. Turkish, Mongol, Persian, Japanese etc. infantry and cavalry resembling English and French knights.

Also the warfare in AOE1 is basically just skirmishes, rather than big epic phalanx battles.
>>
>>869506
>Mamlukes riding camels hurling big cartoon scimitars like javelins

I mean they could have just given them bows or javelins, but someone thought throwing swords was the better option.
>>
>>869531
Saracens may be more accurate if obviously Eurocentric since the Ayyubids, Fatimids, Zengids, and the Mamelukes that the faction covers in the game were all united by their religion (kind of) rather than an Arab ethnicity. Saladin obviously was not an Arab, nor were the Mamelukes, the Zengids Saladin rebelled against were Turks, and the Fatimids were a mix of Arabs, Berbers, Muslim Armenians, and Sudanese tribes.

It'd be like renaming the Byzantines as the Greeks.

Also, there are actually two different 'Arabs' in the Arabic language. Probably more but I'm generalizing from what I picked up a few years back. One refers to intelligible language according to the tribes of Arabia, and the other refers to an old pagan confederation in central/east Arabia.
>>
>>869551
Hoplites having an oval shield instead of the round hoplon pissed me off to no end, that and legionaries getting raped by Academy troops were probably my biggest pet peeve.
>>
>>869506
That one about the Attila scenario you mentioned was probably a goof up and they meant to say Eastern. Also it seems to represent a very large scale, going from Scythia to the Roman frontier.

There was also the Seljuks talking about the "byzantines" in the Mazinkert scenario, centuries before that usage
>>
>inaccuracies

Other than setting stone fortresses on fire by hacking them with swords?
>>
>>869506
Fun Fact: Saracen was just a European blanket term for all the cunts in the Middle East who were Muslim. Turkics, Arabs, Kurds, whatever.

Just as how Muslims called Western Europeans as "Ferenggi." As they are all "Frankish" to them.

In fact, by the time of the Crusades, the Arabs were fairly unimportant. Most of the rulers of the Islamic World were by this point, Turkic thanks to that massive Turkic romp by the Seljuks in the early 11th Century. Only the unimportant Abbasid Caliph and the cunts in the Peninsula were Arab ruled. Egypt to but then Baibars, yet another Turkic cunt, seized power there.

>>869506
One thing that pissess me off to no end is that East Asian Architecture is all Japanese.

They did the same shit in Rise of Nations but the Koreans somehow get their special snowflake architecture.
>>
>"The Dark Ages"
>"H" "R" "E" being called "Teutons"
>huns can't build houses because nomads but mongols can
>goths can't build walls
>>
>>869895
also
>all civilizations go through the same "Eras" at the same time: byzantines can go through "the Dark Ages", saracens can go through the "Feudal Age", etc
>>
>>869506
>Mongols take over Europe after wrecking Hungary
Can't believe ya'll missed this one
>>
>Battle of Actium scenario in Rise of Rome
>Cleopatra's faction is Egyptian

SHE WAS GREEK, NOT EGYPTIAN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>869979
Hungary lost the Battle of Sajó River. Mongolia withdrew because there was a sucession crisis in Asia.
>>
>French unique unit is the Throwing Axeman

Really? I mean, really? Renowned for their superior cavalry, and their unique unit is a guy who throws fucking axes?
>>
>>870022
I know Hungary lost
>>
>>870024
Their paladins are some of the most powerful units in the game, despite not being their unique unit.
Plus, Franks and not France.
>>
>>870024
Well there's a throwing axe called the francisca ...
>>
>>869506
>celts at the Battle of Falkirk.
It wasn't celts m8, that's braveheart crap
>>
>>869506

>Slavs making up half of Europe
>Fought Teutons, Vikings, Mongols, Byzantines
>Not a playable civilization

Oh, but we need room for the Huns who existed for like a 100 years and should have fit in the first Age of Empires timeline.
>>
>>870285
No that's in AoE.
>>
>>870289
They are in the expansion
>>
>>869551
But legionnaires had round shields.
>>
File: Villager.gif (987 B, 54x54) Image search: [Google]
Villager.gif
987 B, 54x54
>>869551
rogan?
>>
>>869895
Teutonic knights were associated with the HRE though
>>
>>870304
It's AoE crap too
>>
I never understood the appeal of this shit game. If anything I like the first one better, it was shitty as well but at least it was set in the Bronze Age which is a rare and interesting setting for vidya.
>>
File: Knights_of_Honor_Coverart.png (222 KB, 250x349) Image search: [Google]
Knights_of_Honor_Coverart.png
222 KB, 250x349
What does /his/ think about this game?
>>
>>871937
it's a classic RTS title
it looks good
it sounds good
it has a relatively complex economy
what's not to like
>>
>>872499

Fun for a bit until you realize how shallow the mechanics are and what it does other games do better.
>>
File: Aok_pic6.jpg (10 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
Aok_pic6.jpg
10 KB, 210x210
>>869506
Goths werent limitless in number and didnt swarm cities like hordes of locusts
>>
File: Napoleon2012-04-1016-29-27-65.jpg (385 KB, 1023x539) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon2012-04-1016-29-27-65.jpg
385 KB, 1023x539
That's not a game.
This is a game.
>>
File: 1387183016442.jpg (7 KB, 210x223) Image search: [Google]
1387183016442.jpg
7 KB, 210x223
>in the Dark Ages, all armies were poorly trained, barely armored men with clubs
>the "Dark Ages"
>civilizations like the Chinese even need to go through the Dark Ages
>no knights in the Feudal Age
>>
>>869819
Those swords can make some pretty nasty sparks, anon.
>>
Is Age of Empires III any good?
>>
>>874454
Yes, the card system was strange, especially for the multiplayer, the campaign is even more historical inaccurate with some magical fountain of youth, but aside from that the actual game is still good.
>>
>Command and Conquer Generals
Literally a prophet made this game.

Most of the overall themes took place years in the future.
>>
>>869506
>Incas having same architecture set as Mesoamericans.
>Mesoamerican buildings look like ruins and not actual livable places.
>No Southeast asian civs
>>
File: mamluk.jpg (227 KB, 857x1074) Image search: [Google]
mamluk.jpg
227 KB, 857x1074
>>869629
there was incidents throughout our history where the warrior would loose control when hearing Allahu Akbar or Wa Islamah and start throwing swords, shields, helmet..etc at the enemy without thinking so i get what AOE tried to do but still funny
>>
English being called Britons
>>
>>874454
its good if you like the time period. I wasn't a fan, mostly because they removed walls iirc?
>>
>>870430
Yeah but it's stupid that we had to wait for a mod/third party expansion to play slavs
>>
>>874803
>mostly because they removed walls

Nope, only for one one faction.
>>
>>873958
gtfo

Age of Empires was made in a time when we had windows 98. Do you expect 3D or something?

Age of Empires was the first game to allow you to recreate the rise of civilization after the ice age and it is fucking awesome.
>>
>>875064
>Age of Empires was the first game to allow you to recreate the rise of civilization after the ice age
what is sid meier's civilization.
(also probably not the first, but definitely pre-AoE.)
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.