[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it okay for Americans to carve George Washington into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 14
File: Mountrushmore.jpg (56 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Mountrushmore.jpg
56 KB, 600x450
Why is it okay for Americans to carve George Washington into a mountain, but Russians having a statue of Lenin in every major city is not?
>>
>>862603
While you have to walk by Lenin every day, nobody is forcing you to go out to rural South Dakota.
>>
>>862607
Mount Rushmore is not the only monument to American statesmen, it is only one of the most iconic. I'm sure if I went to America, I would find more local monuments that tell me to worship the dear leader.
>>
>>862603
Finland still has a statue of Lenin. Is there something wrong with having them?
>>
1. Most people are bitching about the Lenin statues not in Russia but in other ex-commie former Russian vassals where that shit was forced. It would be like us slapping a massive George Washington in the middle of Tokyo.

2. Founding fathers created America while Lenin ruined Russia.
>>
Idolitry
>>
>>862624
Most of the notorious party functionaries, including General Secretaries, were from the countries that are "bitching" about supposedly Russian-imposed Lenin statues.

Khruschev, Brezhnev, and Chernenko are all Ukrainians; Stalin was a Georgian. Never mind that leader of the NKVD, Beria, was also a Georgian.

In fact, Lenin himself had requested to be buried beside his mother, not put on display in a glass case inside of a ziggurat.

It seems that these "oppressed minorities" imposed the Lenin statues on themselves and then used it as another excuse to justify their hatred of Russians, which predates the USSR.
>>
>>862649
You sound butthurt.
>>
>>862649
Krushchev and Brezhnev were not Ukrainian, this is a meme. They were only born in the Ukraine. Brezhnev's parents were ethnic Russians from the Kursk oblast, Krushchev was also a Russian from Donbass.

Also I was talking about countries like Hungary, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania or even the Baltics. Fuck, especially the Baltics.
>>
>>862654
>""the"" Ukraine
>a Russian from Donbass
well this escalated quickly
>>
>>862659
I don't get the joke. They were both ethnic Russians and it's only Russian apologists who want to whitewash their history by calling them Ukrainian.

>it was all dem pesky Jews, Georgians, Ukrainians and Poles, Russians dindu nuffin
>>
>>862669
the joke is that you refer to Ukraine with a "the", implying it's not a state but an okraina, and refer to Donbass as Russian territory

these kinda trigger some people on the web
>>
>>862677
I don't give a shit about the Ukraine either way m8, save your Eastern Slavshit legitimacy pissfests for someone who actually cares.

The point is Brezhnev and Khrushchev were not Ukrainians, period.
>>
File: russian_empire-ussr.png (99 KB, 604x536) Image search: [Google]
russian_empire-ussr.png
99 KB, 604x536
>>862669
>it was all dem pesky Jews, Georgians, Ukrainians and Poles, Russians dindu nuffin
They really didn't.
>>
>>862649
>Romanovs were Germans
>Brezhnev was Ukrainian
>Lenin was a Kalmyk Swedish Jew
>Trotsky was a Jew
>Stalin and Beriya were Georgians
>Andropov was a Jew
>Yeltsin was Komi
>Putin is a Veps Karelian

Only thing it tells me is that Russians are too stupid to even run their own country
>>
>>862687
You forgot.

>Rurik was a Viking
>>
File: young brezhnev.jpg (52 KB, 300x424) Image search: [Google]
young brezhnev.jpg
52 KB, 300x424
>>862654
Khrushchev was born in a village in Russia located nowadays near an Ukrainian border while Brezhnev was born in Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine.
>>
>>862654
>>862679
Chernenko was born to Ukrainian parents.

>>862687
What do you make of Gorbachev and Medvedev?
>>
>>862701
Brezhnev's parents were from Brezhevo in the Kursk oblast. You don't just magically become Ukrainian by being born in Ukraine, also he spoke Russian all his life. The surname suffixes -ov and -ev also suggest a Russian origin, as opposed to Ukrainian -enko or -chuk.
>>
>>862709
Gorbachev was half Ukrainian, Medvedev was mostly Russian but his grandfather or something was a Jew.
>>
Im confused why a thread about statues and mountain carvings turned into a discussion about what hablo group some soviet era leaders were.
>>
File: 1458427925441.jpg (67 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
1458427925441.jpg
67 KB, 620x465
>>862612
I've literally never seen a George Washington monument/statue outside of DC or museums.
>>
>>862717
Because OP is a butthammered Russian whose only mode of argumentation is dishing out whataboutisms.
>>
>>862612
>I've never been to America, but let me tell you about America
>>
>>862654
Khruschev is Ukrainian for transferring Crimea from Russia to Ukraine.
>>
>>862725
>whataboutisms
Did Americans really invent a new word just so they can ignore people pointing out their hypocrisy?
>>
>>862654
Khrushchev stamp from Ukraine, circa 2009.
>>
>>862603
I don't know. Why doesn't every South American city have Washington statues?
>>
>>862728
>How come the west is allowed to X but Russia cannot X? NOT FAIR! DINDU NUFFEN

Every Russian post ever. Maybe you shouldn't have lost the Cold war you commie shit.
>>
>>862732
>>862727
This is what Russians actually think.
>>
File: washington statue caracas.jpg (56 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
washington statue caracas.jpg
56 KB, 360x480
>>862733
George Washington, Caracas, Venezuela.
>>
File: 800px-Washington_Lima_002.jpg (191 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
800px-Washington_Lima_002.jpg
191 KB, 800x1067
>>862733
George Washington, Lima, Peru.
>>
>>862740
They're free to blow it up for all I care.
>>
File: lenin_03.jpg (50 KB, 700x468) Image search: [Google]
lenin_03.jpg
50 KB, 700x468
>>862740
>>862743
Lenin Statue in Nowa Huta, Poland.
>>
>>862733
George Washington, Colombia.
>>
>>862750
Now thats banter.
>>
>>862752
Forgot pic.

>>862750
It comes as no surprise to me that the only thing Poles are capable of is lame toilet humor.
>>
>>862744
>Venezuelans blow up a Washington statue
>nobody gives a fuck

>Latvians blow up a Lenin statue
>deebly goncerned messages from the Russian embassy, people protesting against it in the streets, Russian press going on about Latvians being LITERALLY HITLER, Zhirinovsky saying Latvia should be nuked

Honestly Russians are the most terminally asshurt people in the universe.
>>
>>862756
Darth Vader statue in Odessa, Ukraine.
>>
>>862750
kek
>>
>>862765
*Darth Lenin
>>
>>862744
I dont think the Americans have occupied them in the recent past so i dont think they have much reason to.
>>
>>862762
Firstly, if there were any Lenin statues in Latvia, they are all gone by now and have been for a long time.

Secondly, it might have something to do with the fact that in Latvia, Russians are legally considered second class citizens (or "non-citizens"). Usually, when a Lenin statue is removed, the concern comes not from its removal, but from the atmosphere surrounding the removal and the type of people who rally around this cause. These are usually nationalist street hooligans and neo nazis. Latvia removed Lenin, but installed a monument to Latvian Waffen SS troopers.
>>
>>862750
>>862765
wew
>>
>>862771
Either way if they did it I doubt any American would lose sleep over it. Americans get memed on a lot because of their Founding Fathers worship, but it's pretty much nothing compared to all the Russian tsars, Stalins and Putins Russians are channeling their prayers to.
>>
File: 7300566.jpg (3 MB, 2881x1467) Image search: [Google]
7300566.jpg
3 MB, 2881x1467
Lithuania has a whole park dedicated to commie monuments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C5%ABtas_Park
>>
>>862612
Yeah nah. We build statues to local celebrities and the like over caring about statesmen. In fact I've never actually seen a statue dedicated To a known statesmen here in Ohio.
>>
>>862775
>hooligans neo nazis

t. Vatnik Sralnikovich Bydloebov
>>
>>862779
>ut it's pretty much nothing compared to all the Russian tsars, Stalins and Putins Russians are channeling their prayers to.
Many Russians couldn't name the Tsars. Many don't know who is Rurik. The reason why Stalin is popular is more because he is associated with the war, and because he was in power only 70 years ago, and is fresh in collective mind. The American Found Fathers, in comparison, lived long before that. I would say the cult of personality surrounding them is not even comparable to Stalin. These are akin to biblical figures to the typical American.
>>
File: 1430792487542.jpg (76 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1430792487542.jpg
76 KB, 1024x768
>>862784
Go to bed, Taras.
>>
>>>/harkach/
>>
>>862790
>everyone who speaks Russian must be a Hohol

Nice train of thought right there
>>
>>862786
I think only Jefferson gets that sort of undue reverence, the others are often blasted for owning slaves etc. Ben Franklin is viewed as some jolly fat friendly grandpa but he isn't worshipped.
>>
>>862796
By the increasingly frantic tone of your posts since the prebaltics were brought up, it's possible you are chukhna. Anyway, it looks like you stopped trying to debate after you were BTFO by the undeniable fact that normal people don't care about the Lenin statues and the only people who actively work towards tearing them down are butthurt neo nazis such as yourself.
>>
Mt. Rushmore was literally made for the sake of tourism. It's more of an idol of American Capitalism than an idol to great leaders.
>>
>>862809
Pyongyang was literally made for the sake of tourism. It's more of an idol of North Korean Capitalism than an idol to great leaders.
>>
>>862807
Swing and a miss again, I'm not Baltic or Finnish or whatever chukhna is supposed to be.

>THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO HATE LENIN STATUES ARE NAZIS. LITERALLY HITLER !!!!

lmfao
>>
>>862807
I think most just got tired of talking to you since it was going nowhere. With your logic people should just talk to trolls forever instead of ignoring them.
>>
I think we need flags on this board so that artificial nations can't spread their historical revisionism anonymously anymore.
>>
>>862826
proxyhohol pls
>>
>>862810
Pyongyang is a capital and seat of government power. It was made to be a seat of government power, nice try though. I can see you put all of 5 seconds into your shitty argument.
>>
>>862826
Flags are what completely destroyed /pol/, turning it into /int/ 2.0
>>
>>862826
Eh flags dont do much besides derail threads even faster. Its not like they matter usually anyway.
>>
Complete guess, but mount Rushmore was built by some dude while I imagine the Lenin statues were put in by the government.
>>
George Washington was not a filthy communist, for one.
>>
File: lenin.jpg (31 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
lenin.jpg
31 KB, 500x366
>>862649
>Lenin himself had requested to be buried beside his mother
>be transformed into a literal mummy instead
Truly a punishment worse than death.
>>
>>862861
Actually, Mount Rushmore was commissioned by the US government. Additionally, the mountain it was carved in belongs to Native Americans, who have not yet been compensated.
>>
>>862861
At least the ones in finland were given as gifts by the soviet goverment. I imagine the ones in former soviet countries are the same.
>>
>>862875
>belong to Native Americans

Top kek
>>
>>862603
>majestic mountainside
>carve it with politician faces
Mt Rushmore fills me with shame every time I am reminded of its existence.
>>
>>862775
Exactly what happened in Eesti when they /moved/ not destroyed, just moved bronze soldier statue of red army soldier to other place.
Russia sent their Putin-Jugen youths to riot and destroy into Tallina.
Lovely neighbourhood they have in balts.
>>
>>862973
Meant to link to this >>862762
>>
>>862957
You wouldn't even know that place exists if the monument wasn't carved into it, stop being a faggot.
>>
>>862603
I actually live on Lenin street in Izola
>>
>>862775
>installed a monument to Latvian Waffen SS troopers.

While I can see why people would find this insensitive or offensive, I think good on them for wanting to honor and remember the sacrifices of their sons, brothers and fathers who fought and died, often conscripted against their will.
>>
>>863364
>SS Soldiers
>Drafted against their will
I mean I understand and agree with the rest of your post but cmon
>>
>>862612
Honestly most of the monuments you see here are civil war memorials.
>>
I found it funny how in Civ4 discovering fascism allows police state civic and building Mt.Rushmore.
>>
I don't see the problem with adoring the founding fathers. Unlike Stalin they weren't tyrants but instead embraced limiting their own power and giving the people more of a voice in what happens to their country. I wish we had more statues and whatnot of them.

Now the only statues that are built are of civil rights leaders to remind us of how important blacks are supposed to be.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.