[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ottoman Empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: Ottoman_Empire_WW 1.jpg (253 KB, 777x880) Image search: [Google]
Ottoman_Empire_WW 1.jpg
253 KB, 777x880
If Ottoman had survived after WW I , Would it become a Super Power today ? Look at all of those vastly oil fields from Iraq to Saudi.
>>
No, because Turks are retards. Russia also has shitload of oil but they're still 3rd world garbage, because Russians are also retards.
>>
>Automans surviving WWI
Thats a tall fuckin order m8
>>
Looks at what a shithole the Middle East became after the demise of Ottoman Empire
>>
>>860816
>Would it become a Super Power today ?

No, it would be like Saudi Arabia, hopelessly corrupt and dependent on the West for survival. Also Arab Nationalism is not going away so enjoy your under-developed oil fields thanks to Arab suicide bombers.
>>
I doubt they would have held on to those lands for long after the war. Arab nationalism would of torn it apart, world war or not.
>>
File: this kills the wahabest.jpg (67 KB, 325x499) Image search: [Google]
this kills the wahabest.jpg
67 KB, 325x499
>>860878
>arab nationalism
thats a funny way to spell T.E Lawrence
>>
File: 1457921843457.jpg (275 KB, 716x3234) Image search: [Google]
1457921843457.jpg
275 KB, 716x3234
>>
File: 1451352611183.jpg (81 KB, 362x610) Image search: [Google]
1451352611183.jpg
81 KB, 362x610
>>
File: Fixed Middle East.jpg (62 KB, 820x850) Image search: [Google]
Fixed Middle East.jpg
62 KB, 820x850
>>860816
Turkish nationalism was on the rise. They probably wouldn't want to stay a Arab majority state. Most likely they would relinquish control to Arab nationalist movements the same way the British and French did.
Hell, it would even still be likely that Israel would still exist as the Turks might as well want to make some money by selling the territory to zionists
>>
>>860953
>Most likely they would relinquish control to Arab nationalist movements the same way the British and French did.
They already did that when they supported the Rasheeds in Arabia.to fight the British backed Saudis.
>>
>>860927
>Venice swaps side

How is that even possible? Wtf Venice.
>>
>>860953

That might just be crazy enough to potato. It'll never happen tho, both Iran and Turkey would fight it tooth and bomb.
>>
>>860967
didnt know about them desu. seem pretty interesting. Do you think that if they won Saudi Arabia would be less retarded or were they they same as the Saudis?
>>
its possible but i doubt it, the ottoman empire was already on its was out. ww1 was just killed it quicker
>>
>>860979
>both Iran and Turkey would fight it tooth and bomb.
If you are referring to the map, why though?
Turkey is unaffected for the most part and Iran stands to gain a client state.
>>
>>860980
Lets just say wahabism would not exist.
>>
>>860989

Turkey is opposed to any Kurdish state, given they have a large area of Kurds themselves. Iran also has Kurds, but they also have shite Arabs who would want to join the Arab state.
>>
>>860998
good enough.
pls send timemachine
>>
File: alium thread.png (231 KB, 553x484) Image search: [Google]
alium thread.png
231 KB, 553x484
>>861001
>you will never travel thru time, "fixing" history while having wacky adventures with the greatest bros of all time

Why even live?
>>
>>860999
>Turkey is opposed to any Kurdish state
It seems you have fallen for reddit memes, friend. no worries. The Turks are supportive of Kurdish State in Northern Iraq. Though you do have a point in that sharing such a large border of its volatile Kurdish regions with a Kurdish state might be worrying .
>>
File: 1451260411227.jpg (63 KB, 896x617) Image search: [Google]
1451260411227.jpg
63 KB, 896x617
>>
>>860816
>If Ottoman had survived after WW I
>IF

It wasn't strong enough to survive WW1, what makes you think it would've lasted this long?
>>
>>860901
Yeah but that was 100 years before ww1. Arab nationalism was something that had been stewing in the empire long before the British got involved, and eventually they would have rebelled and gained independence.
>>
>>861142
Friendly reminder that the only central power to last longer than the ottomans was Germany.
>>
It had been in clear decay for two centuries, how would you expect them to turn the fuck around?
>>
>>861180
The problem with it is that it would need a "nudge" from outside sources like the brits and french gave them to even achieve anything.

I mean, the god damn Arab nationalism in Egypt that made them break away from Ottoman rule was caused by a fucking Albanian turk that used to be a former pasha of the Ottomans.
>>
>>861196
That's not what he was saying, everyone knows by that point the Ottoman Empire was crumbling
>>
>>860927
I like how Scotland has to jump into the mix at the end
>>
>>860816
Super? No.

A huge middling power (like Brazil) thats developed?

Most likely.

The Ottomans would have German money building roads, a diversified economy, a large domestic population and oil money and only 1 royal family to embezzle funds. Oh, and the benefit of not having a post colonial economy with a gatekeeper state. That always fucks things up.
>>
>>861013
The Turks are as supportive of Kurdish state in Northern Iraq just like nazi germany was supportive of idea of building Jewish state on Madagascar. Both have(had) minority they want to get rid of but didn't want to lose any clay.
>>
>>860816
Assuming instead of dissolution it turns into a federal constitutional monarchy I'd say they'd end up pretty successful, regional power for sure and perhaps something like Germany.

It is important to note that in 1920s there wasn't a huge difference in infrastructure between Europe and Middle East. So they'd do okay. And the extreme beliefs that are claimed to hold back middle east are side effects of hardcore Arabic version of Islam.

But as soon as oil market expands the tensions would rise and dissolve nevertheless. Just a bit later.
>>
>>860816
No, partly because the Ottoman Empire would have been torn apart by ethnic strife. Also partly because the Turks themselves would have killed it. Rising Turkish nationalism would have forced a break apart. Either the Turks would capture the whole of the Ottoman governing structure or snapped the Empire themselves.

The Ottoman Empire's resource wealth too would have proven a curse. Countries without resources tend to industrialize faster than those with. Its called "the Dutch disease". Turkey and most of the Middle East are better off today than they would have otherwise been under the Ottoman Empire.
>>
>>860970
>trusting a Venetian

not even once.
>>
>>860816
Superpower? Hardly. The Middle East and the Islamic world would be less in shitty now? Almost certainly.
>>
>>860999
>Iran also has Kurds, but they also have shite Arabs who would want to join the Arab state.

>underestimating Iranian nationalism
>>
>>860999
Arabs in Khuzestan want a separatist autonomous province because they want to use that as an excuse to unify with Iraq. Iranians won't allow that and Kurds despite religious difference with the rest of their Iranian kin simply want better rights.

Its not happening for the Arabs though.
>>
>>860818

Are you implying that Saudis are smarter than Russians?
>>
>>860953
Gib me dat British Assyria.
>>
>>860868
>it would be like Saudi Arabia
>turks
>in any point of history being like saudi arabia
>>
What would a modern ottoman empire be called?
Ottoman Empire?
State of Osman?
Federal State of Osman?
>>
>>860816

No, the whole reason for the Ottoman collapse was the obsolescence of the overland trade routes to the East that had been replaced by European merchant fleets following the age of sail. Without a steady cash flow the Ottoman Empire was simply financially insolvent and could not support itself
>>
>>860816
As a Turk this sounds horrible for me. We should have even split the Kurds back in 1923.
>>
>>867182
United States of Arabia
>>
>>860827
If they didn't join the war it could be pretty likely
>>
I wouldn't say a superpower but they would definetly be pretty strong. That oil combined with a good population size and decent industry in the north that would only grow over time is a pretty good recipie. While I wouldn't say they would hold nearly as much power and the US or the Soviet Union they could pretty easily become a strong player globally by the mid 20th century if they played their cards right
>>
>>861018
Nobody cares about your shit memes romanfag
>>
>>860816
As a Turk my only regret is that we failed to Turkify all those useless niggers down there

Just as oil became super important, we lost it all.
With the oil, a small foothold in the Balkans, Caucasus to the caspian and egypt for Suez,
The global control would be insane.

Its not a surprise all the great powers split it up.
>>
>>868213
to add to this:

Its a just punishment for the people who live there to live super shitty now + be in constant war + be backwards ass + israel issue
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.