[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You refer to something in your essay called the *ahem* Holy Roman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: Voltaire reading.jpg (149 KB, 789x789) Image search: [Google]
Voltaire reading.jpg
149 KB, 789x789
You refer to something in your essay called the *ahem* Holy Roman Empire. Now, I'm not going to deduct marks, but could you elaborate on what exactly you mean by this? I have my own misgivings with the term, but I'd like to hear your arguments and am open to changing my mind.
>>
>>1043228
I may have written it wrong, in fact I meant the
>satanic
>barbarian
>coalition
>>
Hmm, I have to argue that this meme is becoming a bit stale.
One of the main reasons being, that
Last time it was posted was a mere 2 hours ago
Yeah, it's really annoying at this point

Recognizing this guys face in the catalog has become a daily occurence
Over the past 2 days,
My experience on /his/ has been polluted by this shitty meme
And i'm frankly tired of it.
No more shitty Voltaire threads, please guys

Every time i go on /his/ this crap is being posted
Mostly it's the same people.
Posting the same stale joke over and over.
In the first month it was fun, i admit, but now?
Ridiculously over-used
Even the most hard-core memers are tired at this point.
>>
>>1043536
>
>
>
>>
>>1043536
Until voltaire's face reaches the front of the HRE wikipedia page there will be no peace
>>
File: flag.png (510 KB, 442x571) Image search: [Google]
flag.png
510 KB, 442x571
Reported.
>>
>>1043552
This. We must put the > > > boos in their spot
>>
>>1043228
im really glad we're getting some quality memes like this
>>
has anyone seen any valuable commodities around here?
>>
File: charlemagne_gold_statue.jpg (400 KB, 925x1024) Image search: [Google]
charlemagne_gold_statue.jpg
400 KB, 925x1024
>>1043630
HOWDY
O
W
D
Y
>>
>>1043536
shit/10
it didn't even rhyme
>>
Remember to sage and hide Voltaire threads.
>>
>>1043536
Ok this is getting out of hand
>>
>tfw actually want to discuss Voltaire's ideas and life but the memery has eclipsed the man
>>
File: Butthurt.png (20 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Butthurt.png
20 KB, 600x800
Sure
First we start with "Empire". An Empire is a grouping of multiple kingdoms, which are groupings of multiple duchies. The HRE encompassed the kingdoms of Bohemia, Moravia, Saxony, et al and a plethora of duchies.

Naturally an empire has an Emperor, and while the Emperor would handle all matters temporal, his power, like the power of all sovereigns in feudalism, is invested by God through the conduit of the pope, based in Rome.

Now, while the Holy Roman Empire was mostly in the Germanies, the idea of what was "Roman" or not is more cultural than linguistic or ethnic. The Byzantine Empire referred to itself until its end as the Roman Empire, despite being run by Greeks, speaking Greek, several hundred miles away from Rome.

What makes the HRE able to have the title of "Roman" is that as the Western Roman Empire dissolved, its territories were largely taken over by federates, who generally kept their core culture, but invariably became more romanized. "Roman" is as much a cultural underpinning as "China" is, despite current China having as much in common with the first dynasty ethnically or culturally as they do the Mongols.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.