[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do all the different Protestant churches reconcile their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7
File: image.png (56 KB, 782x790) Image search: [Google]
image.png
56 KB, 782x790
How do all the different Protestant churches reconcile their differences in theology?

Considering how much they have to say about the differences they have with Catholics and how damned Catholics are for those differences, I'm suprised we don't have threads of Methodists and Baptists damning each other for being just as false as Catholicism.

Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>855638
Protestants don't actually care about theology. All they care about is hating the Church because they think it makes them more relevant individually.
>>
>>855638
>How do all the different Protestant churches reconcile their differences in theology?
They don't.

>Is there something I'm missing?
The point.

Protestantism means you start whatever cult you want and call the thing Christianity, and that there is no greater authority than you, for you are the pope of yourself.
>>
>>855652
I think many of them also genuinely care about loving Jesus and giving large sums of money to preachers who aren't affiliated with the Catholic Church.
>>
Proty here. I would say that 90% of the 'you believe X minor theological aspect so ur going to hell lol' posting isn't sincere, and the rest are..well maybe a bit self-centered. I'm almost certain it's just a meme. In reality no one doubts that we're all brothers and sisters in Christ despite our differences.
>>
It's up to you to interpret the bible ok?
>>
>>855761
NO. Only God can interpret the Bible. We lowly morals can only follow afetr His Word.
>>
>>855761
Isn't that kinda retarded though? If all interpretations are valid, then one could find ways of making vice a virtue using Scripture and ward of criticism from othe Prots by just calling the Pope the Whore of Babylon.

And if adultery can be made a virtue if you interpreted hard enough then why'd Jesus even need to die for your sins?
>>
>>855685
The problem isn't differences. The problem is opposing differences.

There cannot be somehow magically free will and no free will simultaneously or the Eucharist being the actual consumption of Christ flesh and not the consumption of it simultaneously.

To ignore such major differences is to be dishonest. This is why the Early Church don't allow any differences in doctrine since it is what we find in the heretical groups
>>
>>855781
It's not so much that all interpretations are valid as you, yourself, have to read the bible and establish your own relationship with God and a Christian life. At least, that's my view on it as my family belongs to the Plymouth Brethren. As far as I understand with Protestantism, though it might be biased, is that there is and cannot be any supreme authority on anyone's relation with God nor can anyone speak on behalf of God. Though honestly, the whole theology aspect isn't as important as just living by good Christian virtues. That also means no one really cares about Catholics in the slightest.
I'm going about describing it pretty poorly, I'll admit, but I am very exhausted. Still, take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt as I cannot speak on behalf of for example, Nordic Protestants or German ones.
>>
If prots were at each other's throats most of time, they'd easily fall prey to the larger, unified Catholic Church. Though not the deciding factor, sect infighting during the thirty years war led to quite a few sects being easy pickings for armies led by those in favour of the Pope.
>>
>>855638
The idea that if you accept Christ as your Savior and that he died on cross and was resurrected to redeem the sins of man kind and repented your own, as told in the bible, you have been forgiven in the eyes of God. If you accept that idea and the idea that the Methodists or whoever down the street are united with each other in this sentiment, you can be assured that you will see each other in Heaven.

C'mon guys. I'm a non-fedora atheist and I get this.
>>
File: tip tip tip m'friend.jpg (43 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
tip tip tip m'friend.jpg
43 KB, 612x612
>>855855
>I'm a non-fedora atheist
>>
>>855855
You clearly don't. That's just blatant dishonesty and closing eyes to contradictions.

You know there is no such thing as say Christ's atonement for the world and for a mere select few for example.

Or the part about God predestining everybody's fates and yet everybody is not bound to fatalism.

See the problem?

If A cannot be non A at the same time then the entirety of Protestantism is just nonsensical and can be rejected.
>>
>>855855
But Catholics also accept that, and yet you find Protestants shouting at them that they're damned.
>>
File: 1457305390708.png (763 KB, 607x579) Image search: [Google]
1457305390708.png
763 KB, 607x579
>>855864
>>
>>855663
I'm sensing that you disagree with Protestants.
>>
File: crab cycle.png (202 KB, 872x660) Image search: [Google]
crab cycle.png
202 KB, 872x660
>>855873
prove this one wrong, I dare you
>>
>>855869
>Catholics accept Sola Fide
I'd recommend you confess your heresy at your next confession :^)
>>
>>855638
There are things that are mandatory to be a Christian, and there are things that are not.

Any Christian I have a theological difference with, we'll both know better in heaven.

Most catholics go to hell, so, it's kind of moot.
>>
>>855855
Yeah you do.
>>
File: DungenessCrab09.jpg (71 KB, 750x498) Image search: [Google]
DungenessCrab09.jpg
71 KB, 750x498
>>855886
>>
>>855864
Why? it's true. I'm not hostile towards the religious and I actually enjoy their company over that of my fellow non-believers.

I think religion, overall, provides useful ideas and moral codes for ordering one's life.

I just don't personally believe.

>>855869
Catholics require more sacraments and there's more ritual involved. One thing Luther did was attack the idea of ordination as a sacrament.
>>
>>855888
Technically, Catholics actually accept it or are close to it given how Luther's version of it is pretty close to the Catholic one. It is even derived from Medieval Catholic theology.

The only difference perhaps is that Catholicism places emphasis on habitation and the responsibility of the individual to maintain faith and the merit of good works through Grace.

Luther doesn't believe in the merit part and works through in practice, the latter is evident in his soteriology despite his denial of free will.

If Luther added in free will into his system like his best friend, his whole Sola Fide is at least quite valid.

After all Sola Fide isn't one thing in Protestantism is two contradictory things.
>>
>>855888
They don't accept sola fide, but they do accept fide, which is (as far as I know) what most prots think you need to be saved.
>>
File: smug aliens.jpg (318 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
smug aliens.jpg
318 KB, 1920x1080
>be Catholic
>believing only what you are told to believe
Do you believe you can pay your way into heaven still too?
>>
>>855916
Atheist guy again. That hasn't been a part of Catholic doctrine for centuries.
>>
>>855903
>Catholics require more sacraments and there's more ritual involved. One thing Luther did was attack the idea of ordination as a sacrament.
So they have only 6 then and there's no rhyme or reason for ordination in Lutheranism or do they just not like the word "Sacrement?"
>>
File: _boots.jpg (69 KB, 489x600) Image search: [Google]
_boots.jpg
69 KB, 489x600
>>855916
>be Protestant
>Make up shit to bitch at Catholics about
Surely your faith should be making you go out and do good works right now instead of shitposting.
>>
>>855928
There was never in history a Catholic doctrine that said you could buy your way into heaven.
>>
>>855928
>>855930
>>855938
>>855935
Indulgences you historical illiterates.
>>
>>855949
The Catholic church never sold indulgences, nor do indulgences get you into heaven. It was also never taught that indulgences get you into heaven.
>>
>>855930
Lutherans don't consider marriage a sacrament iirc
>>
>>855903
There are no sacraments.
>>
>>855958
>In the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, an indulgence is "a way to reduce the amount of punishment one has to undergo for sins"[1]
>>
>>855928
An infallible pope said it was.
>>
>>855935
>be Christian
>wonder why Catholics can't say "Christian"
>>
>>855958
kek

Let's just deny the past thousand years!
>>
>>855930
Every man his own priest, etc. Lutheranism is best viewed as a transitional form between Catholicism and later Christian denominations. They still follow many of the organizational models of Catholicism, they just don't see ordination as a sacrament. Calvinist descended denominations take this further and seem to do away entirely with the priestly class.
>>
>>855971
Yes?
It's referring to purgatory. Catholic doctrine teaches that if you're in purgatory you're going to heaven.
>>855974
Christian
>>
>>855928
Even then, "payment" for indulgences was like getting a Panda sweater for donating to the WWF, as most cite offering an indulgence for donating to the construction of things like St. Peter's Basilica as "being charged to get into heaven." Which isn't true, as indulgences only affect time in Purgatory making them like a voucher for line cutting at 6 Flags. And using that analogy, "buying" an indulgence so the Church could build a fancy new church was like Six Flags building a new attraction and offering a 5 year line voucher pass to help fund it.

Sure some dicks used that practice to line pockets, but then again they aren't looked back upon fondly for doing that even in the Church itself.
>>
>>855958

"An indulgence is obtained through the Church who, by virtue of the power of binding and loosing granted her by Christ Jesus, intervenes in favor of individual Christians and opens for them the treasury of the merits of Christ and the saints to obtain from the Father of mercies the remission of the temporal punishment due for their sins." The Church does this not just to aid Christians, "but also to spur them to works of devotion, penance, and charity" (CCC 1478).

Literally selling indulgences to "remit the temporal punishments of sin".
>>
>>855963
So 5 Sacrements then?
>>
>>855981

There is no purgatory, papist.
>>
>>855993

Zero. Zero sacraments.
>>
>>855981
>It's referring to purgatory. Catholic doctrine teaches that if you're in purgatory you're going to heaven.
Guess again, Chief Little Dick. The only thing I need to work is your mom's mouth. I am a man of Jesus, Christ is my nigga and I will use the Bible to its full extent to percecute you. I pray every night that I get shot and die, so that I can come back as a gay ghost and rape you with my spooky cock every night. Get a load of that. Check the mailbox because you just got Alpha Mail. Fucker. Fucker. These are the thoughts that pour through the soul of a superior human being. In conclusion, I wish you the best. I hope you have a great sex life. I hope you get so much pussy you literally drown in it, die, and go to Hell, where I will personally arrange for Hitler to be raping you in the afterlife. He'll cum on your back and won't even call.
>>
>>855794
Eh, while we would prefer everyone to subscribe to our own theology it's not like we can force other Protestants to fall in line. All we can do is hope for the best of each other after death.
>>
>>855973
>infallibility means impeccability

Kek
>>
>>855995
Lutherans believe in the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Baptism.

In the Church of Norway the High Church Lutherans would say that there are seven Sacraments. The others apart from the Eucharist and Baptism are "lesser" ones though.
>>
>>855981
>this level of denial
You said the church didn't sell indulgences. Also the core of the problem is that the Catholic Church was in essence extorting money from Christians by selling them something they could not provide.
>>
>>855992
That doesn't say it sells indulgences, which it doesn't, nor does it say they get you into heaven. Temporal punishments is a reference to purgatory, which if you're in you'll be going to heaven no matter what.
>>
>>856007
It wasn't, but nice try
>>
>>855999
That doesn't solve the problem. Once it is agreed that those who believed in contradictory doctrines can enter heaven, then the Protestants must be consistent and allow the same for Catholicism and Orthodoxy.

But ultimately, the problem of epistemology and consistency remains. We have a God who gave the Revelation such that no one could even know what it even says for certain or for good reason!
>>
>>856012
>still denying that the Catholic Church sold indulgences
God almighty you are stubborn. Did the Pope tell you to be that way? After all, he knows best, because reasons.
>>
>>855980
>every man is his own priest
Kinda makes the priesthood pointless then though if every man's a priest. Also don't Lutherans also allow female clergy? Where's the justification for that in Scripture?

>inb4 butthurt papist
Um no. I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>856029
>female clergy

That's a secular administrative decision made by the pontiff and not one grounded in scripture. It could be rescinded tomorrow if the pope so chose.
>>
>>856027
It didn't
You'll need to find a single historical document in which the Catholic church promotes the sale of indulgences. Individual abuses =/= the Catholic church
>>
>>856041
No the Pope cannot allow female clergy
>>
So is the current Pope taking back the Vatican's long held stance that condoms are bad despite the growing AIDS pandemic?
>>
>>856016
Many of them do. They actually outnumber the Butthurt "IF YOURE NOT A MAINLINE NORTHERN BAPTIST YOU'RE GOING TO BURN IN HELL!" types.
>>
>>856051
No
You can't "take back" an official church teaching on sin
>>
>>855995
So what about Baptism and the Eucharist?
>papist crackers and juice!
Consubstantiation. It's Lutheran doctrine, it exists, look it up. I disagree with it but it exists (basically it's the Catholic Transubstantiation doctrine, except it still remains bread and wine while also becoming Jesus whereas Catholics say it stops being bread and wine all together).

Also, no Confirmation, Reconciliation or Annointing of the Sick? And what do they consider Matrimony and Holy Orders then?
>>
>>856049
Err.., wait. I'm thinking of the marriage prohibition. Never mind, you're right.
>>
>>856007
Ever heard of the Enchirideon of Indulgences?
>>
>>855993
Two, sometimes three depending on the church. Eucharist, baptism, and sometimes penance.
>>
>>856041
>pontiff
Lutherans don't have a pontiff and there is no female clergy in the Catholic Church. Heck, a good chunk of secular criticism is based on us having no female clergy
>>
>>856051
The stance that the Church has on that is "got AIDS? Don't fuck."
>>
>>856016
Some Protestant churches think Catholics can enter heaven, they just have a harder time doing it.
>>
>>856046
Look at the time period that indulgences were given out and look at the date that the Pope decided that they were no longer valid. Now metaphorically tell me to my face that no Pope knew what was going on and therefore weren't complicit in the hoodwinking of all the people that bought them.

And how do you explain the remission of crusaders for fighting the churches enemy's for them? Where the hell does it say holy wars get you into heaven? "Pilgrimages" indeed.
>>
>>856061
>marriage prohibition
As in gays right?
>>
>>856078
Yeah, except that isn't working. No one anticipates it will ever work . Condoms are a necessary part of stopping the pandemic.
>>
>>856059
Non-sacramental rites
>>
>>856079
That's the exact same thing Catholics believe about all Protestants. "You aren't damned per se, it's just harder for you guys to get to Heaven.
>>
>>856086
No he means priestly celibacy
>>
>>856091
Reminder that condoms are freely available in South Africa and it's not changing a thing
Reminder that secular solutions are full of shit
>>
>>856083
The context wasn't "go to war."

The context was "your brothers are in danger, go put your life on the line, even die to help them."
>>
>>856083
>get you into heaven?
Come back when you realize that "shortened time in purgatory" isn't the same as getting you into heaven you autist.
>>
>>856096
Eastern Catholics let priests marry.
>>
>>856109
Yes and? I was clarifying what that anon was referring to
>>
>>856102
Condoms are just one part of the solution, dumbass. We could eradicate AIDS in a few generations with condoms and informational outreach. You are basically arguing that artillery is useless in war because it can't win a war by itself.
>>
>>856108
And what authority did the Church have to sell that to people? :^)
>>
>>856120
Nope
>>
>>856104
You forgot about the remission. That's kind of sort of important since it's the whole problem. They gave it out in payment for scumbag mercenaries to fight their war for them.
>>
>>856125
Can't argue against that. You win.
>>
>>856128
>scumbag mercenaries
Well that's the thing. The mercenaries didn't care about any spiritual concept. Just monetary payment.

They were like the PMCs of the era. Look at video games where you play as a heroic US soldier and there's a PMC that isn't actual US soldiers and who are portrayed as bastards while the US soldiers are portrayed as good guys.
>>
>>856144
>Well that's the thing. The mercenaries didn't care about any spiritual concept. Just monetary payment.
That is very incorrect. The whole premise of the crusade was that scumbags could get brownie points with God if they fought Muslims. Scumbags were the ones feeling the most need of divine brownie points. Why pillage very formidable Muslims when there were plenty of easy pickings in Europe to pillage? Because of your eternal soul, that's why.
>>
>>856054
More like the smart Ecumenical ones do. Either way the problem of epistemology remains and more troubling perhaps, the prospect of a God who says two completely contradictory things as true simultaneously!

>>856079
But between the Protestants they can't even agree on what Sola Fide is or whether there is really any change in the Eucharist.
>>
>>856122
The Church never sold them. That was solely due to the abuses of corrupt clergy explicitly condemned by the Church and there's not one lick of evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>856163
Go back to r/atheism
>>
>>856194
>STOP TELLING ME ABOUT HISTORY! YOU ARE BEING INTOLERANT OF MY FAITH BY STATING FACTS!
>>>/tumblr/

But seriously though, you are better than that, anon.
>>
>>856120
Protestant solutions also include welcoming the gay community, which despite media attempts to hide the fact still has an AIDS problem, into the community of people who can be legally "married" to the person they want to be legally "married" to, despite the absurd arguments that this legal form of "marriage" is in fact anything like "marriage." In 50 years, when the adopted children of gayly married CEOs are inheriting multiple corporations at once through the new parallel of blood ties that will inevitably come into existence, you'll be sorry, but you won't be able to admit it.
>>
>>856228
>b-but a few prostestants are tollerant of gays and gaysex has a higher AIDS transmission rate
>trying to derail the discussion because you can't tolerate the backward nature of your church
kek
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.