[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think of stoic philosophy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: roman-art-final.jpg (2 MB, 3256x2336) Image search: [Google]
roman-art-final.jpg
2 MB, 3256x2336
What does /his/ think of stoic philosophy?
>>
Good morals, but is sometimes unrealistic in it's expectations of human willpower. A strong philosophy overall though.
>>
>>850878
Whether you live by indulging the flesh, or restricting the flesh, you're only living by the flesh.
>>
>>850923
Maybe that's all there is.
>>
>>850923
The plans and wills of divine beings of unknowable power are not the concerns of mortal men, are not under our control, and therefore cannot be "lived by."
>>
>>850878
It is a pretty good philosophy.
Unfortunately, most people don't know it.

>>850923
>Whether you live by indulging the flesh, or restricting the flesh, you're only living by the flesh.

The flesh is indifferent to the stoics.
>>
>>851041
But the point of stoic philosophy is to remove all negative material from your body and improve yourself.
>>
>>850962
No one implied faith. But moreso every persons own spirit.
>>
>>852770
>But the point of stoic philosophy is to remove all negative material from your body
No.

>and improve yourself.
Yes.
>>
>dude just be happy lmao
>>
>>850883
Stocism isn't a religion. It doesn't have some orthodoxy that can't be challenged. People read a few of the big name meme stoics and assume that stoicism must be like that. There are stoics out there who don't have the harsh, absolutist viewpoint in regards to sagehood.

>>854258
Stoicism isn't a quietest philosophy, nor are pleasant mental states the aim of the philosophy. Maybe if you said something like dude, just be virtuous lmao it might have been something that wasn't 100% wrong.
>>
>>850878
Anyone know where that photo was taken?
>>
The word Stoic comes from stoa which literally means porch. Stoics are basically porchmonkeys who sit around all day memeing about how much of a sage they are.
>>
>>854546
Except stoicism is a philosophy of action. The point of stoicism is to be and act virtuously in all things one does. If all they do is sit around memeing about how much of a sage they are then they aren't very good stoics.
>>
File: Nietzsche187a.jpg (632 KB, 1464x1986) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187a.jpg
632 KB, 1464x1986
>Stoic and Epicurean. The Epicurean selects the situations, the persons, and even the events which suit his extremely sensitive, intellectual constitution; he renounces the rest that is to say, by far the greater part of experience because it would be too strong and too heavy fare for him. The Stoic, on the contrary, accustoms himself to swallow stones and vermin, glass splinters and scorpions, without feeling any disgust: his stomach is meant to become indifferent in the end to all that the accidents of existence cast into it: he reminds one of the Arabic sect of the Assaua, with which the French became acquainted in Algiers; and like those insensible persons, he also likes well to have an invited public at the exhibition of his insensibility, the very thing the Epicurean willingly dispenses with: he has of course his "garden"! Stoicism may be quite advisable for men with whom fate improvises, for those who live in violent times and are dependent on abrupt and change able individuals. He, however, who anticipates that fate will permit him to spin " a long thread," does well to make his arrangements in Epicurean fashion; all men devoted to intellectual labour have done it hitherto! For it would be a supreme loss to them to forfeit their fine sensibility, and to acquire the hard, stoical hide with hedgehog prickles in exchange.
>>
>>850878
Basically Western Buddhism
>>
Overrated and based on idealistic assumptions about human nature. Basically entry level stuff. Academic psychology is much better to follow.
>>
>>854780
Nietzsche sounds like a hedonist here.
>>
>>854899
>Academic psychology
>man it sucks being a 21 year old who takes psychology classes and knows everything and every reason to why people do things and I can't get mad at them or anything because I'm soooooo intelligent :(
>>
>>850878
Marcus and his book is overrated.
There are far better ancient works both stoic and otherwise than his scribblings

The only reason its popular is because of the philosopher emperor meme. The book itself is not a great work either. You wouldn't read it for a long time if you properly study Stoicism.

I'm sick and tired of faggots who talk how much they love the "meditations" but do not know who Epictetus is.
>>
>>854954
What do you think about Justus Lipsius and Neostoicism?
>>
Are there any modern stoics or only meme ancient guys was interested in it?
>>
>>854933
>States that they prefer psychology because it is implied to be relatively less assumptive
>Ya obviously u kno everything lmao

It is possible to troll without looking like the retard in the situation.
>>
>>850878
quite good tbqh
the past years it's been memeified though
>>
I like it well enough. It's got some good lessons for teaching one to deal with their life and circumstances better. It is however not the objective truth, and you shouldn't follow it for the sake of following it.
>>
>>850878

Self-flagellation - The philosophy.
>>
>>855111
Memes: The Post
>>
>>855086
I mean when you put it that way, a lobotomy doesn't sound so bad.

Why don't you try one, anon? They're supposed to sooth asspain. That's pretty sensible, right? You can read it, comprehend it, and see if it applies to you.
>>
>>855174
>U Mad
What an argument
p h e w
h
e
w
>>
>>855137
Autism: The Reply
>>
>>854780
Nietzsche seems to have a wrong idea on Stoicism. Were translations kind of shit in his era?

>>854899
I know both Academic psychology and Stoic Philosophy pretty well. Stoic philosophy is superior to psychology, by far, where both coincide.

It is even kind of amusing to see someone being so smug over psychology given the current replication crisis.
>>
>>855346
Ah, as it turns out he could read both Greek and Latin. But I still see his idea of Stoicism as weird.
A Stoic wouldn't be some grimdark retired soldier with a 1,000 yard stare.
>>
>>850878
didn't the second founder of stoicism, Chrysippus die of laughter.
>>
Aristotle. It took hegel to heal the damage aristotle and neoplatonism had done. Kierkegaard got rid of the single greatest idiot of all philosophy, epicurus. He's not even a philosopher, more a little bitch everyone mistook for a 'neckbeard'
, as you humans call it. My favorite is socrates, he was able to bring shamanism into philosophy by accepting the need for him to physically shed his ego drinking the hemlock. I know, i know, modernity is too stupid to get what i'm saying, how socrates became tiresias, the original sin creatorgod incarnate. Don't do drugs kids, well at least not unprepared. Least faborite philosopher ... Little bitches.
>>
>>855936
>as you humans call it.
fuck off
>>
>>855962
proving my point
>modernity is too stupid to get what i'm saying
>>
>>850878
It would be perfect for me and possibly the world if it was less autistic, or less absolutist. By my understanding you're basically supposed to not give a fuck about anything negative and anything not in your control, which sounds good, but it's relatively extreme about it (there are concessions for people in grief and functioning in society and stuff but in your head it's supposed to not affect you), and in practice it goes against basically all of your instincts, and it can be very hard to know where the lines are between what you can change and what you can't (and personally I don't like to accept anything as unchangeable).
>>854476
oh cool, like who?
>>
>>856106
>By my understanding you're basically supposed to not give a fuck about anything negative and anything not in your control, which sounds good, but it's relatively extreme about it (there are concessions for people in grief and functioning in society and stuff but in your head it's supposed to not affect you), and in practice it goes against basically all of your instincts, and it can be very hard to know where the lines are between what you can change and what you can't (and personally I don't like to accept anything as unchangeable).

First, you are supposed to care about that which is negative.

The line dividing what is in your control and what isn't is pretty clear, as well.
>>
>>850878
It's the manliest of the philosophies, if nihilism is red pill then Stoicism is the iron pill.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.