[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was suburbia mankind's biggest mistake?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: suburbia.jpg (503 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
suburbia.jpg
503 KB, 1200x800
Was suburbia mankind's biggest mistake?
>>
>>850772
Elaborate?
>>
>>850772
Honestly? Not the biggest, but it's certainly up there. It's produced a lot of really negative side effects.
>>
>>850776
Such as?
>>
>>850772
>available housing is super duper bad
Why is this board just beyond fucking retarded about almost everything.
>>
>>850778
Car culture, consumerism (the bad kind), the loss of the urban community.
>>
>>850772
>all that wasted gas
>>
>>850802
environmental strain, super bad on city governance, city sprawl, no community or community gathering places

Suburbs to the extent that it occurred in the U.S are disaster and is something city planners avoid and the have to because as Non Western countries modernist if they take the same path the U.S did with their Suburbs we are doomed.
>>
>>850772
holy shit murica, is this real?
>>
>>850772
No, just shitty ones like your pic.

Well planned suburbs that take into account factors other than just 'efficiency' for motorists are fine.
>>
>>850775
The oil industry is in crisis due to the depletion of cheap easy to access oil reserves, will the oil market remain stable enough to allow the expansion of suburbia? When the price of oil is too low, the oil industry is unable to expand production, when the price of oil is too high it strains consumers and leads to massive expansion of unsustainable debt levels.
>>
>>850835
American high speed rail when?
>>
>>850850
Expensive (Americans don't invest in infrastructure that much anymore) and Nimby's/ illogical demands that fuck up any transportation plans. When I mean fuck up I really mean fuck up with the stupidest beliefs and demands, I'm saying "don't put bustops in my area it attracts pedos and rapists but also service our area 24/7", "Make the train come here in the most inconvenient rout possible to our 100 man town or else I as mayor of irrelevant town will bitch louder then a dog in heat".
>>
>>850835
21st century will see the end of suburbia and mass depopulation one way or another. Earth can support maybe 3 billion top predators without cheap fossil fuels.
>>
>>850882
you don't need electricity to grow plants
>>
>>850882
I once heard a theory about how all the useless grass lawns of the suburbs being turned into collectivist vegetable gardens.
>>
>>850882
The Malthusian who cried extinction.
>>
>>850882
The Haber-Bosch process is great and all, but I don't think it is THAT necessary to feed the world. Just use crop rotation and shit.
>>
File: 2012-Lexus-LFA.jpg (284 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
2012-Lexus-LFA.jpg
284 KB, 1600x1200
>>850802
>car culture
>a bad thing
/o/ here fuck off with your stale memes, coal plants an many orders worse for the environment than cars ever will be, smog is a giant meme and power organizations would prefer you keep huffing their shit and never make actual changes towards a cleaner society. A car filled country running on e85 and nuclear energy is way better than a hybrid filled society still stuck with coal because they couldn't pull the wool over their eyes
>>
File: cbs.jpg (47 KB, 500x204) Image search: [Google]
cbs.jpg
47 KB, 500x204
Suburbia looks downright beautiful compared to the commieblocks the commies raped Europe with.
>>
>>850891
Maybe Jefferson will find some solace.
>>
>>850891
Hell if all those idiots that waste water growing a lawn in a desert can develop a taste in making an American made tradition of desert lawn culture that works with the environment instead of against it it cna help the environment.

Also California needs to stop growing almonds.
>>
>>850920
To be fair, I'd rather be penniless in Soviet Russia than the USA.
>>
File: howard2.gif (14 KB, 659x485) Image search: [Google]
howard2.gif
14 KB, 659x485
>>850772
what you mean is american style sprawl.

suburbia, by itself, isnt bad.
Garden Cities were some of the first planned suburbia, and they were pretty neat, and, unlike most grand scale urban projects that existed since Industrialization, it actually worked
>>
>>850772

No not at all
>>
>>850905
We are going to run out of cheaply accessible petroleum sooner or later and suburbia will be remembered as a mistake.
>>
>>850889
yes you fucking do. cheap fertilizer needed to produce bountiful harvests requires lots of energy. there's a reason the population exploded after world war two
>>
>>850928
And how exactly is that related to commieblocks vs suburbs? If anything American burbs should be admired as they provided affordable detached housing funded mostly through private means (meaning they didn't almost bankrupt the national budget meaning them). And they're not absolute eyesores.
>>
>>850889
We eat oil

>>850891
It might work but society will break down in the transition.

>>850892
It's a miracle already, 7+ billion, but they are obviously on the move already.

>>850900
Seriously, I've worked on a modern western farm, we eat oil, petrochemicals. We are already into the oil shocks, demand destruction, price oscillations. Even without massive resource wars down the line which is highly unlikely, it will be a rough ride. Just my two cents, I've always been a pessimist.
>>
>>850927
the thing is its farming that uses 80% of the water. so your latter idea about halting almond production is ultimately the better route
>>
>>850905
>smog is a giant meme
>>
>>850905
>A car filled country running on e85 and nuclear energy is way better than a hybrid filled society still stuck with coal because they couldn't pull the wool over their eyes
And a society than abandons cars is better than both.

But you will never realize that. No one will be able to convince such a vehement car culture apologist like yourself to see things in a different light.
>>
>>850945
What do you think about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_phosphorus

and other non-renewable fertilisers?
>>
>>850957

Wow you are a retard. You are actively advocating to go backwards technologically
>>
As someone who has spent most of his life in the "urban community" i laugh at this topic. Suburbia was where anyone who had a right mind wanted to be. The worshiping of inner city life is mainly done by those who sure as hell don't have to live there.
>>
>>850957
Public transport is viable maybe for large urban centers like NYC or Chicago, but try going with that shit in rural Montana or something, it would be beyond stupid.
>>
File: Done.png (240 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
Done.png
240 KB, 500x493
>>850772
Without a dough, it causes damage to the earth and creates a culture of sheltered ass holes.. It also in a small part causes obesity and simply isn't that appealing in a design sense.
>>
>>850975
Sorry, but this is beyond stupid.
>>
>>850968

Especially when an acre of land with a huge house is worth the same as a medium sized home on a tiny plot of land in the city
>>
>>850942
Commieblocks provide housing for all. Have you ever seen the beggars in American cities sleeping in cardboard boxes and shit?
>>
>>850965
>You are actively advocating to go backwards technologically
Why is that a bad thing in this case?

>>850973
People in rural areas would move closer together in small towns like they did in the past.
>>
File: France over the US.png (22 KB, 220x189) Image search: [Google]
France over the US.png
22 KB, 220x189
>>850957
I don't think you really understand just how BIG the United States is.

I calculated it out once, so let me put it in perspective: The amount of distance traveled by going from the North Eastern most tip of Maine to the North Western most tip of Washington is equivalent to traversing the entire length of Switzerland 30+ times. We are a BIG country.

Is public transport good? Yes. But it is less costly for me to drive from New York to Houston than it is for me to take a train there. No amount of infrastructure will make up for the fact that we are spread the fuck out.
>>
>>850980
Makes sense considering the amount of city utility and services you can access as well as being close to all what the city has to offer as well as work for many people compared to what Suburbia has to offer.
>>
>>850968
>"urban community"
So a ghetto? I'm sure nobody wants to live in the Bronx, Juan.
>>
>>850945
>Seriously, I've worked on a modern western farm, we eat oil, petrochemicals. We are already into the oil shocks, demand destruction, price oscillations. Even without massive resource wars down the line which is highly unlikely, it will be a rough ride. Just my two cents, I've always been a pessimist.
I'm not a pessimist, but I like to plan for the worst. We really need to scare people into changing their habits today else the next generation or not long after is in for a world of hurt.

The biggest crisis facing our species is impending Peak Oil and the chain reaction of violence and destruction that it will bring. The best solution is to make the transition as smooth as possible by artificially increasing oil costs to fund technologies and infrastructure that will ultimately replace oil.

We have the potential to make the transition painlessly, but we have to act.
>>
>>850987

It has been said that to an Englishman, 100 miles is a long way, while to an American, 100 years is a long time.
>>
>>850985
Is this for the sake of discussion or are you serious?
>>
>>850993

Not really when I can easily drive into the city and enjoy it without the high prices and crime of living there
>>
>>850976
>it causes damage to the earth
Sorry to break it to you, but millions of people living in irresponsibly big houses with large yards and the creation of pollution is bad for the earth.
>creates a culture of sheltered ass holes
Have you ever talked to a suburban person? They are the most sheltered and prissy people alive. Hell, in some places they call the cops for people having tall grass.
>It also in a small part causes obesity
Lack of exercise due to just having to take a car everywhere and its proximity to fast food restaurants is the reason obesity is has grown since these started.
>simply isn't that appealing in a design sense
This is an opinion, but I doubt rows of samey houses with the same structures and plants look appealing to you, unless you're retarded or something.
>>
>>851003
how long would that take?
>>
File: la-china-smog10.jpg (2 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
la-china-smog10.jpg
2 MB, 3888x2592
>>850905
>smog is a giant meme
>>
>>851020

20 minutes by car 45 minutes by train
>>
>>850892
It's too early to tell if Malthus was wrong

Diminishing return on fertilizers, desertification and climate change, depleting fish stocks, pesticide resistant bugs, topsoil depletion, ect

In fact it's already happening, Syria is currently undergoing a population correction. This is to be expected when your population goes from 5 million to 22 million in a 50 year span on a patch of desert

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/WCAS-D-13-00059.1
>>
>>851000
What I meant by "abandoning" cars was not something like taking all the cars in the country and throwing them in the ocean. Cars should not be the majority of people's sole form of daily transportation and should be used less if at all.

It's like saying people should do other things for entertainment than sitting on the internet. It's better for you to play a sport or read a book than spending all of your time sitting down behind a machine. It's also cheaper and uses less electricity.
>>
>>851026

So you have to use a warzone to have an example of what you want
>>
>>850968
Unless you literally grew up in the ghetto then I can't see any advantages of living in the burbs over the city.
>inb4 B-but, you'll still get mugged and robbed in the city.
Yeah, and that shit can happen in the burbs just as well. There are plenty of shitty ones. See Ferguson for just one example.
>>
>>851029

>I want to use more coal and oil by forcing people to use public transport
>>
>>851036

Less taxes, more living space, cleaner area etc...
>>
>>850958
I don't understand. Are you telling me we are going to run out of phosphorous containing rocks? I don't believe that.
>>
>>851019
I've lived in some truly shit areas and in suburbia. So have a hell of a lot of people i know and they wouldn't hesitate at laughing right in your face for this bullshit. YOU go live in the ghetto/barrio/slum. Given a choice, we know exactly where we want to be, and it's not in your fantasyland.
>>
>>851044
>implying
Per capita it is much less
>>
>>851036
Lower property taxes, less congestion and more space. I like to have hobbies like working on my cars, doing woodworking or gun stuff. All of which are highly restricted in cities.

The general cost of living is lower too combined with much less taxes. I was making 120k in Chicago but ended up being able to keep/spend more by moving out. A car is nothing when you don't pay in city gasoline prices.

Not to mention cities are notorious for corruption.

I used to live Chicago, I've never regretted leaving for suburbia. If you are economically minded, suburbs are better.
>>
>>851067

>Ireland

Can we use a non meme county that isn't Africa tier
>>
>>851063
>Rock phosphate shortages (or just significant price increases) would have a big impact on the world's food security.[16] Many agricultural systems depend on supplies of inorganic fertiliser, which use rock phosphate. Unless systems change, shortages of rock phosphate could lead to shortages of inorganic fertiliser, which could in term affect crop growth and cause starvation.
>>
>>850994
Actually it's the South Bronx you are referring to. North of Fordham rd, the Bronx is alright.
>>
>>850772
yes
>>
>>851070
I forgot to add, I took a 40k paycut and still came out on top. Now I only make 80k but overall get to keep far more of it.
>>
>>851070

What suburb you in? I live in Tinley park myself
>>
File: oil-transportation.jpg (53 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
oil-transportation.jpg
53 KB, 700x467
>>851074
>>
>>851079

I think that you were not saving your money correctly if you were making 120K and having trouble
>>
>>851034
War is the result of resource competition
>>
>>851089

Well the Syrian civil war started because "moderate" Islamists wanted Assad gone.
>>
File: Nixon.jpg (81 KB, 407x546) Image search: [Google]
Nixon.jpg
81 KB, 407x546
>>851066
You do know that every area of a city isn't a ghetto right? I mean, I know ghettos suck, I go though them almost monthly to visit family. But you do know there are non-ghettos in cities. I'm not even saying everyone should live in a studio apartment or whatever, I'm just saying suburbs are badly designed and there are no reasons to build more as our already huge population grows.
>>
>>851070
I don't care to much about cars, guns, or keeping a garden etc., so that shit has no effect on me, but wouldn't taxes and cost of living also change depending on what specific area of a city you're living in, as well as the city itself?
>>
>>851070
>I was making 120k in Chicago but ended up being able to keep/spend more by moving out. A car is nothing when you don't pay in city gasoline prices.
How much would you have saved by taking public transport daily instead of driving?
>>
>>851026
Malthus will always be wrong so long as we make him wrong. We can plan for the future and act. Already human population growth has proven to reach sustainable levels simply by giving women jobs.
>>
>>851086
Compare the tax rates my man. You get absolutely fucking murdered in Chicago. It's not even close. Also as for cost of living example; it costs $2.50 in Chicago for a 2 liter of Coke, where I am it costs $1. The price of goods has a huge impact. Don't even get me started on the property taxes. Those are what really rape you there. Chicago is a fucking a joke.

>>851081
I am just outside of Lake Geneva now. Its about an hour drive into the city on a good day, hour and a half on a bad day.
>>
>>851102

He wasn't driving unless he lived in a black neighborhood or worked outside of the city
>>
File: unnamed.png (144 KB, 914x568) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
144 KB, 914x568
>>851092
They were probably just hungry
>>
>>850772
Suburbs are just an American imperfect solution to overpopulation. Cramped cities and spacious wasteful suburbs are both a result of too many people. So overpopulation could be mankind's biggest mistake
>>
>>851110

Isn't there a metra station by lake Geneva
>>
>>851092
>moderate islamists

That's like being a moderate rapist.
>>
>>851117

Over population is a meme in America. In the third world (china, Africa, Europe) it's an actual problem
>>
>>851075
I find that hard to believe. We can always dig a little deeper. Furthermore phospherous can't just be used up. It persists in the biosphere. In fact we are doing the biosphere of Earth a favor by digging up there necessary elements previously trapped in the Earth. Perhaps we will permanently increase the biomass of the Earth even if we ultimately died out thanks to our digging.
>>
>>851124

Hence the quotation marks
>>
>>851106
see this from another prism:
we are reaching such peak demographic levels, that humanity was forced to give woman jobs, and stop them from being child bearers.
>>
>>851102
I actually save money driving than I do taking the CTA. Public transportation in Chicago is and was shit. I couldn't get to work on time waiting for the bus and the price of a train ticket was more than the cost of gasoline into the city. (To be fair, I drive a car that gets 32 mpg)

>>851097
Most big tier cities like Chicago/New York have horrible tax rates. San Franisco despite being nice is even worae for cost of living problems. It does you no good to live in a poor area because the. Chicago PD are too busy giving out tickets to stop their 80% unsolved murder rate. Besides who wants to live where they will get robbed?

The only city I've lived in that wasn't shit was Houston. That was only because Houston is more of a giant suburb than a city really.
>>
>>851126
>In the third world (china, Africa, Europe) it's an actual problem
And suburbs would be a terrible solution
>>
>>851118
Metra costs more and takes longer than it does for me to drive. Mainly because every little god damn unimportant town in IL has a fucking stop. Towns like Woodstock who don't really need one but get one via bribes.
>>
>>851137
Why would anyone who doesn't work in the tech industry even ponder living in SF? That place is horribly cramped and you'll pay 5k a month for renting a cuckshed. It's no wonder it's overflowing with homeless people.
>>
>>851143

Yes in a Europe, Africa and China has room to expand. Besides the suburbs weren't built because of overpopulation.

>>851147
I'm pretty sure people from Wisconsin use the woodstock station
>>
>>851126
Not even there.
It's other problems that are more of an issue then overpopuation.

Country x with 30 million would still not be able to support itself at 15, 10 or even 2 million if it doesn't take the right fucking reforms.
>>
>>851135
What?

Also I think you mean lens.
>>
>>851152

Cities in California used to invite hobos to live there and pay them to them to squat in their parks, even going as far as to favor them over actual tax payers
>>
>>851154
>Not using the Crystal Lake express station
>Step it up Senpai
>>
>>851152
I honestly couldn't tell you why'd they choose to live there. I couldn't tell you why I thought taking the CTA or living in Chicago for 2 years was a good idea either. Clearly mental illness of some sort.
>>
>>851154
China builds up instead of out and doing far out suburbs in Africa is a fucking retarded choice form a city planner's view point if you consider all the factors
>>
>>851167

I only go that far north for work I live south of the city

>>851176
I doubt that a car was cheaper than the CTA. With gas the price it was and maintenance it had to be more expensive
>>
>>851182

China has massive ghost cities that house millions of people.
>>
File: detroit-white-flight-chart.png (105 KB, 355x202) Image search: [Google]
detroit-white-flight-chart.png
105 KB, 355x202
>>851117
Not even close, they are an American solution to blacks invading their white neighborhoods and turning them into warzones.
>>
My solution is the colonize Mars.
>>
>>851200

*could house
>>
>>851154
Last time I checked, a ticket to Woodstock to Chicago was $5.50 one way (with the bulk purchase discount). With muh gasoline costs, it costs me about $10 both ways or so to drive into the city on a bad day (assuming traffic).

A full tank costs me $20 assuming gas is at $2.25 gallon.

I heard they were gonna run an express route through the new crystal lake station. I might consider that if it is quick. It's been like 2 years since I've check train time tables.
>>
>>851206

No they were a way to get better land and not have to deal with shitty tenement buildings
>>
>>851215
>No

Yes. Are you even American, honestly?
>>
>>851200
All those buildings were built during the bubble with the construction boom.
>>
>>850958
Meh, I am thinking what peak resource will hit first, or which ones simultaneously, potable water supplies will be crucial and ground water depletion is already here. The land is a sponge today, we dump massive quantities of synthetic fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides onto GM monoculture for the most part. It's getting precarious and Dommsday seedbank is real, modern crops are not as resilient to potential checks as we like to think. Not to mention what is it all doing to us as a species?

>>850996
I am not acting at all, I'm not having kids, it's the end of the genetic line for this cat lol. People will do anything to survive, planning is hard to do, hard to say what will hit first, could be Black Death II for all we know! If there was a huge die off then suddenly there would be a lot of resources around again!
>>
>>851221
Suburbs were far far far from due to soley being due to "The Blacks"
>>
>>851213

First of all if you use the train on a regular basis you buy a monthly pass which is cheaper than buying a ticket everyday. Which $50 dollars a month is cheaper than $20 bucks every 2 days as you use a half a tank of gas. You must be kinda dumb if you didn't figure that out.

>>851221
Blacks didn't start moving into white neighborhoods until the prices of the housing went down due to white people leaving.
>>
>>851230
>I am not acting at all, I'm not having kids, it's the end of the genetic line for this cat lol. People will do anything to survive, planning is hard to do, hard to say what will hit first, could be Black Death II for all we know! If there was a huge die off then suddenly there would be a lot of resources around again!
You need to use more paragraphs because that's just a bunch of disjointed thoughts.
>>
>>851242

*half a tank of gas every day
>>
>>851192
I meant missing work was expensive due to the bad bus time tables when I lived in the cities. I used to work in the city but also have to go to Des Plaines to visit ohe head quarters. The Pace Buses were really fantastically priced but not always timely. Not being on time costs you your job. That's not so good imo.

I do my own maintaince on the car. It's a 2010 Kia Forte Koup. I've only had to pay for the oil changes thus far. Insurance is very reasonable too because it's on USAA's "safe" car list.
>>
>>851242
No way man, the fucking monthly ticket was like $140 or something. Literally rape tier pricing. I'd rather throw my money at a fire than pay that. I wasnt even allowed to switch whatever zone I was paying for either if I had to hop in between areas. It's cheaper to do the 10 ride thing because then you aren't restricted.
>>
File: 1368799220366.jpg (630 KB, 1593x1080) Image search: [Google]
1368799220366.jpg
630 KB, 1593x1080
>tfw you were born too early to live in a glorious suburbia without the cancer of private cars ruining everything
>tfw you have to live in a time with thousands of these noisy things dominating everything, making things noisy, polluted, dangerous, and ugly

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35756441
>>
>>850920
I always thought commieblocks had a strange beauty to them. I would have much rather lived in one of those then in suburban hell.
>>
>>851290
lol that is fucked up man.
>>
>>851302
I've lived in a commieblock before, it was horrid.
>>
>>851302
Likewise, and if everyone lived in them/supported them they could actually be pretty nice. Like modern condo's in western cities.
>>
>>851261
>>851290

Well I agree with that PACE bus service sucks but your math doesn't as up. A kia forte koup has a 13 gallon tank. It's impossible to fill the tank up on $20 with gas at 2.25 like your example. It's even more money in the city. So even if the pass is 140 bucks a month its still cheaper to buy the pass than to spend 20+ dollars on gas every 2-3 days
>>
>>850920
>Suburbia looks downright beautiful compared to the commieblocks the commies raped Europe with.
Yep. The be fair suburban culture has probably preserved wilderness in the united states and north america.
When I backpacked through Europe I was amazed to see how close small towns are to each other. There was no "real" wilderness except for southern Austria and in Scandavinia.
>>
>>851312
Do you have a clue about what you're actually talking about? They tend to have atrocious insulation, paper thin walls and they're made of shitty prefab concrete. Khruschev or whichever guy came up with the idea in fact considered them to be a temporary measure until the USSR could build normal detached housing for the people, not too dissimilar to American suburbs. But their economy was fucking shit so they neve really went with it.
>>
>>851351
I literally mean that they would be nice if that wasn't the case. If multi-story apartment style housing was intended to be the future of living and not a stop gap measure, it could have worked.
>>
>>851351

He's probably some fat kid that lived in the suburbs his whole life
>>
>>851323
How the fuck does suburban culture of the US preserve its natural landscape? That's literally the opposite of the case. The lack of greenbelt laws in the USA means cities suburbs just keep going forever compared to European cities that greenbelt laws restrict the growth of. If London had no greenbelt laws and was like Los Angeles or Austin, it would be the size of the entire of south England
>>
>>851362
I grew up in a semi-detached in downtown Toronto. I now live in residence, but I have plenty of anecdotal evidence that condo living is very nice.
>>
File: Markham-suburbs_aerial-edit2.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1490) Image search: [Google]
Markham-suburbs_aerial-edit2.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1490
>>850920
Having lived in both, I'd still rather live in commieblocks than this
Every fucking house the same as far as you can see. There's something very false and inhuman about it. At least with commieblocks there's a sense that it's a place that's lived in and made for people.
>>
>>851314
RIP my previous arguments in this thread. I was going off the top of my head. I'm trapped at O'hare waiting on a flight to come in. When I get home, I'll post my big excel chart I did on it.
>>
>>851377

>Every fucking house the same as far as you can see

Judging from that picture they aren't the same. And Commie blocks look way worse and way more similar
>>
Only good places to live are in rural areas where 95% of people don't live. It's a haven where you can pretty much do whatever you want and either no one will give a shit or know in the first place.

I mow my lawn maybe once a month, if that. I make fires whenever I want, I shoot whenever I want, I really do whatever whenever I want. If I lived in a suburb I could do none of that. If I lived in the city I could do even less.
>>
>>851397

I have a fire in my backyard every night in the summer
>>
>>851402

In a fire pit or a grill or what? I just burn logs whenever I want. I've built a cabin on my property no one but me and my dog even know about. Certainly couldn't do that in a city or suburb.
>>
>>851377
>Having lived in both

I've also lived in both. Suburbs are so much better it's impossible to quantify. In commieblocks things like hearing your neighbor take a noisy dump while you're eating lunch, or doctors living next door from violent junkies, that's a common occurence. You also have to repair the fucking thing like every 15 years because of how shitty the building material was.
>>
>>851397
Condo in the city and compound in the wilderness is the best way to live if you can afford it.
>>
>>851410

Fire pit

But yeah rural life can be comfy
>>
>>851249
I'm multitasking. Point was what exactly would you plan for? It's a gamble. I prefer watch and see, then act if necessary, as an individual.
>we have to act
I am watching the horde, not participating. My plan is to gtfo of its way when it starts to roll in my direction. I only have to survive another 30 years or so to live a full life but even that's looking dicey. Totalitarianism and the police state might be a bigger threat than anything in the days ahead.
>>
>>851413

Cities smell like shit to me, and suburbs look too fake and manufactured in all of their dealings. I don't think I've been into either in a few months.
>>
>>851312
Commieblocks aren't even remotely similar to western condos.
>>
>>851415
You have a stake in humanity.

Also shitty prose is not multitasking.
>>
>>851426
I find most rural housing looks just as shit as suburban stuff.

The only nice houses are in the older parts of cities. Early to mid-century detached or semi-detached. Condo's can also be pretty nice.

Honestly though. The absolute worst part about living in the country is how long it takes to do anything, and the fact that you have to drive everywhere. I don't want to have to drive for twenty minutes to go to the grocery store, or an hour to go see a movie in theatres. Not to mention how limited entertainment is in general if you're not into outdoorsy stuff. Restaurants too. From my house it takes me 5 minutes to get to a grocery store, 20 minutes to get to a movie theatre, and I've got an entire metropolitan area's worth of stuff to do when I'm with my friends.

You get used to the smell. I honestly quite like it, especially in the summer.
>>
>>851447

>hour to see a movie

And you live in the middle of no where I assume and you visit the designed shopping center in the county to get groceries I also assume
>>
>>851412
Funny thing is not everyone in the suburbs gets a house. Living in a suburban apartment gets you the worst of both worlds.
>>
>>851458
No I live in a city, I'm just speaking from my experience visiting relatives/working for a few summers in the country.

You have to go all the way to the next town over to see a movie, though you could easily get groceries at any of the giant stores in town.

I live in Canada though. It's probably different in the States.
>>
>>850987
china has invested in tons of high speed infrastructure though. the country is nearly the size of the US but their trains will travel the country in half a day by 2020. Nationwide public transportation infrastructure is possible
>>
>>851482

Yeah done cheaply, unsafe and with QUALITY Chinese materials
>>
>>851233
It wasn't the only factor but it was a pretty influential in decision making
>>
>>851485
Not him, but I've taken China's high speed rail from Guangzhou to Shanghai, it's actually quite nice. One of the few benefits of an authoritarian government.
>>
>>851485
Yes, there have been accidents because its China. That said, high speed rail is common in much of Europe, Japan and has functioned well in China considering how corrupt a country it is.
>>
>all these plebs who haven't realized the best solution to our energy problems

Nuclear fucking energy, fellow anons. It's safer and better for the environment than fossil fuels, plus it's going to last us a hell of a lot longer - many of the elements we can use for energy are extremely common. And unlike renewable energy sources it's not horribly inefficient (solar) nor does it require a special location (hydro, geothermal). As for cars we just swap to hybrids or pure electric using power generated by nuclear reactors.

It'll never happen unfortunately, because plebs hear nuclear and think scary and dangerous, but it's seriously far and away the best solution to all our problems.
>>
What's it like to be a country bumpkin? Do you ever feel irrelevant or that you're missing out on what civilisation has to offer? What about the lack of competitive industry, educational and commercial establishments that you can only find in large hubs of civilisation?

I love being at the beating pulse of the human race.
>>
>>851508
I thought it would never happen because of ludicrously expensive start up costs?
>>
>>851515
That's just a matter of investment, we have done it before and we could do it again. We are going to blow the money on coal anyway, might as well get literally more bang for the buck.
>>
>>851514
You know most people in suburbs work in the big cities, right? I live in a suburb and the closest city is only 5 miles away.
>>
>>851515

Get past the initial investment and it's the cheapest, cleanest, and most consistent form of energy production.

One pellet of uranium put into the reactor produces as much energy as a ton of coal. That's the exchange of 3.11 grams worth of waste for a little over 900 kilograms. That's fucking amazing and we don't use it because fucking hippies think the reactors are dangerous.
>>
>>851076
>North of Fordham rd, the Bronx is alright.
i knew blacks can't swim or ski, but i'm not buying the"blacks can't cross the road" meme
>>
>>851485
That's a bad excuse when we are talking about trains in the USA, senpai.
>>
>>851110

You apparently don't know how to shop in Chicago dude. Go into ANY Jewel Osco and a 2 litre of coke is like a fucking dollar. It's ALWAYS on sale. (Literally, fucking always)

Most places, I can buy eggs bread and milk for cheap as fuck too. Cheese is usually pretty damn cheap. I don't know where you've been shopping, but apparently it's not been at the right places.
>>
>>851591
>It's ALWAYS on sale. (Literally, fucking always)
Blame Nixon and his price fixing... also for the corn syrup inside of it.
>>
>>851110
>>851591
>buying soda
>ever
>>
>>851508
Waste material is a pretty big hassle.
>>
>>851614
Not really. It's an issue for smaller countries who don't have room for it, but somewhere like the US has plenty. The government actually had plans to hollow out a mountain and store waste in there before hippies stopped it.

And besides, nuclear waste isn't any worse than the shit that coal plants pump into the air.
>>
>>851557
>think the reactors are dangerous.

the waste from these plants are one of the most toxic substances on the planet

name one other industry that produces a waste with dangers that are measured in half-lives?

you can't
>>
>>851614
It wouldn't have to be if they would just stop stalling on Yucca Mountain. But people think it's dangerous so it's an unelectable political move.
>>
>>851606
>>851612

I'm not even saying I buy it. If you saw the post I was responding to, the guy was comparing prices of Coca Cola 2 liters in and out of the city, so I gave him my own observation. If you're not even going to bother reading the previous conversation to have any clue as to the context, then just piss off.
>>
>>851636
You were aware of the pricing of soda. That was justification enough to viciously berate you for possibly drinking that swill.
>>
>>851591

He probably shopped at some upscale yuppie store
>>
>>851135
>see this from another prism:
My sides
>>
>>851647

>You are aware of the Nazis. That was justification enough to try you for warcrimes

Is what it sounds like to me
>>
>>851323
That has nothing to do with suburbia and everything to do with the history of European settlement and size of European countries.
>>
>>851614
>>851634
My country is tiny compared to yours, you guys. We don't have any big mountains, we're mostly flat. Deep burial would be super expensive.
>>
>>851668
JUSTIFICATION
ENOUGH

I do not abide lardasses.
>>
>>850772
I like the fact that I live an hour away from NYC and that I live in an area with a lot of nature, but transportation is a nightmare. Don't expect to go farther than your block if you don't have a car unless your willing to walk for hours in towns with no sidewalks.
No village or town center, ugly architecture. I have mixed feelings about suburbia.
>>
>>851685

That's the trade off for living in a town that had 400 people in it 40 years ago
>>
>>851684

Then I think you should probably leave 4chan man.
>>
>>851684
>>851647
>>851612
>this is the face of autism
>>
>>851722
>this is the face of obesity
>>
>>851741
Nigger I'm not even American.
>>
>>851710
But then who would I ruthlessly taunt?
>>
File: average anglo.jpg (48 KB, 460x296) Image search: [Google]
average anglo.jpg
48 KB, 460x296
>>851746
Yes, obviously you are British.
>>
>>851757
Actually I'm Finnish.
>>
>>851752

Hmm you actually make a pretty convincing point
>>
>>850772
Physical location is completely irrelevant now. I may be a brain in a jar or all you guys care.
>>
>>851769
Way to sneak into the top ten.
>>
>>851816
Why are anglos so goddam fat?
>>
>>851816
Nice shop.
>>
>>851816

Out of date Mexico is the fattest now
>>
>>851830
Still butthurt about losing the hyperwar?
>>
>>851377
also don't forget the payment, a suburbia will still cost a big loan that you need to pay off and will take your ribb.

most commieblocks i know are rentbased.
>>
>>851863
>Finland
>losing
Hwanaboos get out
>>
>>851868
Don't be stupid. You can sell the house for more than you payed for it in 20 years when all the kids are moving out. It's not like the housing market will just crash out of the blue.
>>
>>851816
You didn't even put space between the dot and the "f"...

2/10 see me after class.
>>
>>850772
no, multiculturalism.
>>
As an economist this thread is causing me physical pain
>>
>>850772

>Cities:Skylines.jpg
>>
>>851894
Dude, it's not a shop. The lack of a space is due to the rows being tabbed over.
>>
>>851883
>Don't be stupid. You can sell the house for more than you payed for it in 20 years when all the kids are moving out

nigga who gives a fuck about living in some shitty suburb by the times the kids are out, by that time its more about having cash to get the fuck out and going to that tropical paradise.

atleast thats for me but my roots are different from white/european people i always have a place to fall back too.

i aint no way in hell falling in a retirement home were my children will visit me 1x every 6 months.
>>
>>851883
It will but not do to pollution or any of the shit these morons are talking about but due to bad government policy since the state still fully reimburses mortgage loans for banks if they fail.
>>
>>850772
No, it was agriculture.
>>
>>851816
>be Finnish
>get fat
>>
>>852004
No, it was fire.
>>
>>851685
>an hour aways

sorry but an american hour is imo way longer than european hour.

in a hour im already @ the next major city in my country(amsterdam), shit im even in a major city in another country.

i was already stressing cause my ex-gf was living in a city thats round 15 minutes with car and i heard storys from american who are willing drive 1-2 hours just go to a "centre" of entertainment our activity.

wew.
>>
>>851022
That's fucking cool though
>not wanting to play Silent Hill on your way to work
>>
>>851625

The fucking coal industry that pumps radioactive waste into the air every day, you shitcunt. Where do you think you get your energy when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining? You're burning oil and coal, which means you're actively pushing radioactive material into the air we breathe because you have a childish understanding of energy production.
>>
>>850905
My father grew up in 1950s Birmingham, UK. There were smogs so bad he couldn't see a metre in front of him. He had to feel the hedges to get to and fro school.People with breathing disabilities and elder people died in droves. The most deadly one was the Great Smog in London in 52' where at least 4,000 died during a 4 day smog.
>>
>>852023
No, it was language.
>>
>>851482
China is also experiencing rapid economic growth that is unprecedented in its history. America experienced similar growth 100 years ago, and naturally, then came the massive expansion of infrastructure in the country. America is not experiencing the rapid growth anymore, so they cannot afford to build this infrastructure.

Not America, but close enough, take a look at Toronto for example. They experienced massive growth in the 50s and didn't invest in infrastructure and now have the shittiest subway system on the continent and can't afford to build new routes. You can only afford massive growth in infrastructure in times of massive economic acceleration.
>>
>>852228
That's some shitty reasoning there, desu. The resources, expertise, and manpower are all there for the US to build whatever infrastructure it wants. The hurdlers are political.
>>
>>851152
People who live in, or who migrate to, CA are wonderfully out of touch with reality.

The idea that they're too good for "normal" work and WILL make it big soon is even more common than the stereotypes suggest.

It's fucking fascinating.
>>
File: fuck cagers.png (742 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
fuck cagers.png
742 KB, 1200x800
>>850987
>>851482
>>850802
>>850819

I with North America had an extensive highspeed rail network. This map is a sneak peak of a North America not dominated by cars.
>>
File: Dredd meat grinder.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Dredd meat grinder.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
>>852390
SOON
>>
>>851066
Fuck you, the barrio is great, they have fiestas almost every 3 months for a certain saint, and people aren't entitled shits,
>>
>>852390
>the quickest way to get from Chicago to Salt Lake City is by going to New York, then Atlanta, Jacksonville, Houston, Dallas, and El Paso before moving on to Salt Lake City
Fuck the Great Plains, amirite?
>>
>>852428
There already exists sleeper trains on those axis. The hi-speed rail is meant for built up areas. Some intermediate speed to rail to connect Utah, Texas and Illinois would work in tha region. It doesnt have the the ridership to justify high speed.
>>
>>851302
You know who lived in commieblocks in America? Niggers. Called them "projects". They were and still are fucking awful places.
>>
>>851489
>>851495
Usually when shit happens in public transit the government essentially does is basically a witch hunt and a lynch mob to punish the people responsible for the design error if it's deemed to be caused by bad build quality.
>>
>>850954
>>851022
>>852142
Cars are marginally responsible for major smog incidences, its literally plants that operate on little oversight/regulation or cars that aren't nearly as efficient as they could be (IE dumbasses that "roll coal" or run rich)

>>850957
As I said, having cars run on ethanol and run efficiently will leave a negligible harm on the environment as a whole. You might as well bitch about methane release from domesticated animals because they would cause disproportionately more damage than e85 ever will. This is just a meaning less fear response to an obvious "danger" when the more subtle risks like plastic production gets overlooked. You're all literally falling for the risk assessment meme and you're putting too much energy in a solution that won't yield any meaningful results. If you want to be the fucking holier than thou assholes take a deep look at yourself and ask why you don't have a solar panel and have exclusively stopped using plastics and don't support your local nuclear initiative. You're a much bigger issue than my v12 ever will be
>>
>>851019
You and Earth can suck my dick, I'm not giving up my car and abandon my standard of living for some teenager's utopian delusions.

Fucking communists, they never give up.

t. european
>>
File: 1458278626753.png (743 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1458278626753.png
743 KB, 1200x800
>>852390
Fixed for you.
>>
American suburbs are shit. Every house looks the same, every house has the same artificially green lawn without any other plant life.

Euro suburbs are much better
>>
File: 800px-Haberfield_2.jpg (106 KB, 800x402) Image search: [Google]
800px-Haberfield_2.jpg
106 KB, 800x402
I like my suburb
>>
>>850965
>You can never abandon a technology after inventing it
>technological advancement is directly linear, and directly correlates to quality of life
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VCqAjYO3NM

Surprised no one has posted this song...
>>
>>851819
Relatively new countries with car cultures of which suburbia is a symptom

More emphasis on driving (sitting on your ass) than walking places like a real human
>>
>>850827
Owning your own home with a comfy pool and backyard and with central air conditioning, a grill to BBQ your meat, and 2 new cars in the drive way.... It's called the American Dream.

And I gotta say, I like it!
>>
>>850802
>consumerism (the bad kind)
There's a good kind?
>>
>>852649
Not that guy, while car culture is pretty awful, automobiles have too much utility for the worms to ever be put back into the can.
>>
>>852428
That ain't slc bud. That's Denver. You'd still have to take a bus or amtrack to get to salt lake.
>>
>le sprawl is bad maymay

Well look at San Francisco where their retarded zoning laws prohibited sprawling and now you have to be a millionaire to be able to afford a tiny apartment there. And honest to God I don't give a shit about urban night life and other dumb faggotry if I stay at home all the time anyway.
>>
>>852773
>while car culture is pretty awful

fucking numale kys
>>
>>851026
Damn, fertilizer is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>850920
The west has the same, they just dont call them commie blocks.
Its affordable housing, or the projects, or some such depending on the country.

They arent specific to the USSR, nor are they a bad solution.
>>
>>852786

San Francisco and dumb faggotry go hand in hand.
>>
>>850920
Looks like cities in DayZ
>>
>>851883
>It's not like the housing market will just crash out of the blue.

Except it has twice in my short life.
>>
>>851026
>Le climate change is le reason for middle east unrest meme
>>
>>852991
It's one of many factors.

or did you fall for the singular cause meme?
>>
If car culture is bad does that mean gun culture is bad?
>>
>>853000
Yeah maybe its a cause after the millions of other causes. People make it out to be in the top reasons for unrest.
>>
>>850928
>>851302
>>851377
>>850981
ITBoard: Retarded westerners with no idea what they wish for
>>
>>853048
This
>>
People who live in suburbs ought to pay higher taxes to compensate for the fact that they cost the government more to provide services to.
>>
>>853313

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

the fuck are you smoking
>>
>>851200
When will this meme die?

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2015/04/21/the-myth-of-chinas-ghost-cities/
>>
>>850850
The airlines don't allow it m8
>>
>>850772
I dunno about biggest, but it's probably the largest.
>>
>>850798
>available housing
Dude get real. An apartment block is 100x cheaper and more efficient than a suburban sprawl. Not to mention less alienating and at the same price range more aesthetically pleasant.
>>
>>851868
rent, you pay money and it disappears.
Loan, you make a investment by buying the house and paying of your loan with interest = rent. But in the end you keep your own money and the value of the house goes up
>>
>>851906
Yup, this is the issue with academica and the world. People have no basic understanding of ekonomikkkss which errthang is connected to
>>
>>851906
Which side?
>>
File: 1000888_22b5dc90.jpg (73 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1000888_22b5dc90.jpg
73 KB, 640x480
>>850920
Nah mate, Terraced Houses are the way to go.
>>
>>852402
Then Apocalypse War with East Meg One.
>>
>>850900
Artificial selection by whatever means we currently use has resulted in plants that rely on pesticides, fertilizers and are made so that they can easily be harvested by machines running on petrol.

You can't really take modern commercial seed and go about growing it oldschool because that is gonna fail.
>>
>>853688
>Terraced Houses
Are you british? A terraced house has literallly the disadvantages of both apartments and single houses, plus the advantages of neither.
>>
I don't really live in a suburb, nor in an inner city nor rural.

It's kinda neat.
>>
>>853651
Predatory loans can fuck you over real good, and that's assuming that the bank will even give you one. On top of that, with how expensive houses are you'll be paying off that loan for decades.

Apartments also have the advantage of renters rights. In places with sane rent laws when something breaks in an apartment you can get the landlord to fix it instead of having to hire someone to do it.
>>
>>853705
>advantages:
sense of community
enough space to raise a family
tend to be close to urban centres
tend to be close to parks/shops/etc
can be really beautiful
low cost

>disadvantages:
lack of space
lack of privacy
neighbours up in your shit
small garden space
can be ugly

not him but I am British and have lived in detached housing, terraced housing, and a commieblock
terraced was best, the location helped that though, five minute walk from town centre, the commieblock was in the town centre and the detached house was in the suburbs
>>
>>853737
>the location helped that though
Yeah but see that's the point. Terraced housing is barely more efficient than detached space wise, so if you need lots of housing you're gonna end with urban sprawl just the same. I've seen certain poorfag areas in Britain that were basically american urban sprawls just without the lawns.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.