[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anything truly be proven as absolute?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
Can anything truly be proven as absolute?
>>
my dick
>>
>>847738
Is it OK if I worship your dick then?
>>
I think therefore I am.
>>
Do u even shunyata?
>>
File: descy.jpg (5 KB, 165x200) Image search: [Google]
descy.jpg
5 KB, 165x200
>>847744
What if I am the evil demon?
>>
>>847760
In order for an evil demon to fool you of existence you couldnt exist but you are being fooled so it is impossible to say you cant know you are a thinking thing
>>
Laws of nature/physics.
Even if you don't believe in the "theory of evolution" or the "theory of gravity", you are still bound to them, and you can easily recognize this undisputed truth. Unless you are implying these laws don't apply to you, which simply makes you delusional.
>>
>>847744
This.
Cogito ergo sum is the most absolute phrase/thing i have ever read or seen
>>
>>848012
Common fagg, stop giving philosotards ammo you stupid fuck.
>>
>>847744
Think about the color of infrared.
>>
It is absolutely true that OP's mom's a whore.
>>
>>848282
Op's mom here.
Can confirm.
>>
The statement every motorcyclist is a fucking asshole, is the closest thing to a tautology.
>>
File: worst philosopher.jpg (20 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
worst philosopher.jpg
20 KB, 200x300
>>847735
The fact that nothing is absolute.
>>
>>848012
>don't believe in the "theory of evolution" or the "theory of gravity"

theory is only a scientific term because absolute is near impossible. I fucking wish they would just call them laws so people would stop thinking "oh, their just a theory, like, a maybe"

the pain, it hurts.

>>848464
>>847744
these two things are pretty good to answer your question OP.
>>
>>848012

>Laws of nature/physics
If this were the case we would never have any revolution in sciences. We thought Newtonian physics were an absolute, but we learned they are not. We could just as easily tommorow that our understanding is wrong. The very fact that scientific truth changes means it's uncertain.

>Even if you don't believe in the "theory of evolution" or the "theory of gravity", you are still bound to them

This is just presumming it is true and than saying because it's true it's true. It's like saying that even if you "don't beleive in God he still controls everything"

Philosophers have long ago realized absolute truth is a snipe hunt.
>>
>>847735
If no absolutes exist, that is an absolute
>>
>>847744
Is a meaningless expression. There is no synthetic property to it. The proposition "i am thinking" already presupposes "existence". It's like saying "circles are round". It's definitionally true, but not knowledge in the sense that no new information is gained by analyzing it.
>>
>>847735
Of course. To say there is no absolute truth is a statement that requires itself to be absolutely true, and is thus self-refuting.
>>
>>847744
You cannot prove that you are doing the thinking, only that thought itself exists.
>>
>>847735

Well, drop a brick on your big toe and then tell me.
>>
>>847742
Are you a girl?
>>
>>848608
>It's definitionally true, but not knowledge in the sense that no new information is gained by analyzing it.

And no one have ever claimed it. Descart, being of the same philosophical tradition as Locke in that they're both a epistemological fundamentalist, only wanted to find some sort of foundation one believed was self-evident and didn't need further proof of.

Their differences lies in that Descartes believe that it was the self one couldn't doubt, while Locke and his followers claiming that it's experiences that we can be sure about. We can't be sure it's a *self* experiencing it but more of a stream of *something* passing in your mind.
>>
>>847735
If nothing can be proven as absolute, then that statement itself isn't absolute as well

Relativism is a paradox and a useless one, because in the end people make a decision, a choice

I mean, it isn't useless for murderers, robbers, rapists and all others who seek a justification for their actions, because it's catchy
>>
>>848709
Only a sith deals in absolutes.
>>
>>848486
Then could it be said that there are no absolute truths, which in itself would be an absolute?

"All I know is I know nothing" might be my favorite, even if it doesn't apply to this.
>>
Mathematical equations, yes. Atrophic/entrophic theory as well.
>>
>>848764
There are known knowns
There are known unknowns

But there are unknown unknowns
>>
>>847735
Not really.

You can make a theory and it's going to hold depending on how strong the theory is but at the end of the day there's still a chance that your theory could be disproven.

You can't prove anything absolutely without abandoning a skeptical mindset.
The best you can get is "Yeah this is probably true, come try to disprove it in a statistically relevant way".
>>
Like Genghis Khan absolutely rekt some Muslims?
>>
>>848793
how are mathematical equations absolute?
>>
>>850921
It balanced out. Mongols in the west converted to Islam.
>>
>>850934
Because they are tautological, like all of math.
>>
>>847735
C
H
a
n
g
e
>>
>>847735
Tautologies are absolute truths, in the sense that they can't be wrong.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.