[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone tell me about the samurai? Were they really super
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 48
File: Samurai[1].jpg (155 KB, 437x581) Image search: [Google]
Samurai[1].jpg
155 KB, 437x581
Can someone tell me about the samurai? Were they really super warriors capable of slaying 5 men with a single swing of their razor sharp blade?
>>
Slant eyed knights.
>>
>>847480
slant eyed knights with worse but arguably better looking armour
>>
>>847472

Probably not. They were pretty good at killing peasants and they practiced drawing their swords really fast. Even with all their hand-to-hand training they wouldn't be able to just superman their way into a peasant pike brigade. Instead they were really good at archery (and marksmanship, once the matchlock was introduced). They were also formidable on horseback.

During a samurai duel you could maybe see a guy get cut in half with one slash. However they often didn't wear armor during duels so that's not really a surprise.

In a one on one situation, your typical samurai had the training and experience to easily defeat the average peasant soldier. However, multiply the number of armed peasants and this becomes more difficult. It would've been pretty difficult for a lone samurai to defeat five determined men who were armed even with improvised weapons.
>>
>>847472
They where skilled swordsmen, soldiers and officers but really they where just the professional soldiers of their time the same way a lot of the knights or at least professional soldiers in Europe where. A lot of armies back then where made of peasants so in comparison Samurai, Knights etc where viewed with great respect on the field and that respect has carried on through to the modern day.
>>
>>847472
Trained warriors wielding bows and long slashing swords in a world where other combatants were peasants in bamboo armor carrying spears marching in tight formation
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 266x268) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 266x268
>>847532
>better looking
>>
File: yoroi_kabuto.png (381 KB, 698x362) Image search: [Google]
yoroi_kabuto.png
381 KB, 698x362
Yeah, their armors definitely look cool and intimidating. Though they would be useless before rifles.
>>
Bureaucrats with ceremonial swords in later eras, mounted archers and cavalry spears in earlier.
>>
>>847532
Those war masks were pretty fabulous, senpai
>>
File: Le Samourai.jpg (32 KB, 427x408) Image search: [Google]
Le Samourai.jpg
32 KB, 427x408
>tips Hagakure
I like the Hagakure, it's pretty inspirational.
>>
In the feudal era, samurai fought mainly with archery and spears. Katana is for cutting heads off the dead body. What's insane is that they are supposed to never surrender. They just commit seppuku when they lose after reciting their death poem.
>>
>>847694
That's sakoku bullshit designed to restrain them. Samurai before then were basically mercenaries.
>>
Common misconceptions of samurai.(Sorry for my bad English)

>Samurai didn't use shields.
They did.
O-yoroi(大鎧) has shoulder guards called O-sode(大袖). It was their shields.
And ashigaru used Kai-date(掻盾).

>Kamikaze saved Japan from Mongol army.
Mongol army landed in Kyushu and they was defeated by samurai led by Shoni clan(少弐氏).
Then some Mongol ships were sunk in a typhoon, but it was nothing to do with the defeat of Mongol army.

>In the Edo period, samurai can kill civilian as much as you like.
NOPE. They need a witness who can testify the victim insulted the killer.
If samurai kill someone without a witness, he must commit sudoku.

I bet 4chan is not good place to study Japanese history.
>>
>>847594

t. butthurt european
>>
>>847694
for seppuku only Wakizashi, and never Katana
>>
>>847694
probably a meme to avoid getting tortured and spilling the beans
>>
>>847781
>It was their shields

That's a pauldron
>>
File: Mōko_Shūrai_Ekotoba.jpg (2 MB, 4334x1462) Image search: [Google]
Mōko_Shūrai_Ekotoba.jpg
2 MB, 4334x1462
>>847781
Didn't the initial Mongol landing cuck the samurai who were defending the beach? I read somewhere they fired volleys of poisoned arrows and the samurai had to withdraw, but I'm not sure which invasion that was.
>>
>>847832
No one shot poisoned arrows. It's too easy to fuck up and prick yourself with it on a seasick horse on loose sand beaches.
>>
>>847838
They didn't hit the beaches with horses, I specifically remember it mentioned they were foot soldiers.
>>
>>847781

>must commit sudoku.

Probably not the time or place to be pissing around with numbers.
>>
>>847832
At first, Mongol landed on Isolated island like Tsushima and Iki.
These landing campaign was successful.
But when they landed on Sawara District (早良郡) and encamped at Akasaka (赤坂), they met the counterattack from Dazaifu(太宰府) and escaped to Sohara.
Since then, Japan kept winning.

Takezaki Suenaga (Reckless samurai in your posting image) survived and kept fighting until end of wars.
He was a sponsor of Moko Shurai Ekotoba and he asked a painter to draw his dangerous scene.
>>
File: Moko-e1331471594806.jpg (83 KB, 600x412) Image search: [Google]
Moko-e1331471594806.jpg
83 KB, 600x412
This image is also from Moko Shurai Ekotoba.
Samurai used tactical formation.
Not only Ikkiuchi.
>>
Only small a girl can cut off three head by one swing.
Japanese blade is very sherp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WOnXct68Fg
>>
>>847472

Why do they wear the mask?
>>
>>848723
das adorable
>>
>>847969
To be fair, the Mongols that invaded Japan were mostly newly recruited Koreans
>>
>>848740
To display status and for the fear factor in battle, senpai.
>>
>>847472
The samurai developed excellent swordsmanship, as well as great skill with polearms, which were much more popular at war.

Lower ranking samurai would have fought right along side their ashigaru companions.

However during the edo period most samurai were sword carrying bureaucrats with only a basic understanding of how to handle their weapons.

There were actually more peasants leading sword schools than samurai, and most of the famous swordsmen of the edo period were either low ranking samurai or born peasants
>>
TELL ME ABOUT THE SAMURAI WHY DID THEY WEAR THE MASK

A LOTTA LOYALTY FOR A HIRED SUBJECT
>>
>>848962
Chuckled.
>>
>>848723
I find it hard to believe a tatami mat is as hard to cut through as someone's neck
Also, you can make any sword as sharp as you want it to be.
>>
>>847472
They didn't become famous for their swordsmanship until recently. Yeah, they had fancy swords, but samurai originally emphasized their horsemanship and archery skills.
>>
>>849070
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tMDGF6fzy0
>>
>>847532
>better looking armour
No
>>
>>849211
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5tuklPjtAU
>>
>>848769
M8 The Mongols will always be at a disadvantage if ithey can't use their meme field battle tactics.

All Mongol Yuan naval campaigns failed with the exception of the Battle of Yamen which ended the Song Dynasty...

...which was commanded by Chinese Yuan subjects.

And they didn't.
>>
File: LORzGUu[2].png (1 MB, 1434x1004) Image search: [Google]
LORzGUu[2].png
1 MB, 1434x1004
>>849222
>ass hurt european butthurt over the fact that non-western weapons are MUCH better than european weapons

face it, japanese weapons are simply superior, you can wiggle and writhe all you want but it's simply a fact. Japanese weapons are able to cleanly cut through both japanese and european armor, while european weapons can barely dent either.

The results don't lie, the japanese katana dominates the european longsword, and he's just asshurt that european weapons are inferior to asian weapons. He should really take his ego out of this, european longswords are cute but they just can't compete with katanas
>>
>>849274
go back to /jp/ you fucking weeaboo
>>
LETS SEE HOW YOUR MEME SWORD STANDS AGAINST GUNPOWDER MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>849274
I can't tell if you're serious or not
>>
>>849274
>pig iron
>not shattering on contact
>european weapons
>not being able to cut through japanese cotton meme armour
lmao
>>
File: 1365810708719.gif (831 KB, 271x169) Image search: [Google]
1365810708719.gif
831 KB, 271x169
>>849211
Not this shit again
>>
File: armor-obscene.jpg (132 KB, 729x800) Image search: [Google]
armor-obscene.jpg
132 KB, 729x800
>>849214
I'm no weeb, but I have to agree with the other anon. Samuraii have the edge in aesthetics, what with the colors, and the mask, and the curved bits on their helmets, the Gundam looking ornaments on their helmets, not simply being a pile of metal that is only sometimes slightly engraved and just some feathers on top...
>>
File: henry_viii.jpg (77 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
henry_viii.jpg
77 KB, 720x960
>>849324
I have to agree the samurai armour looks pretty neat, while full plate armour looks like a fucking tank.
>>
>>849070
supposing it has some bamboo at the center its about as thick as a arm.

That said tamashigiri (test cutting) is often not a good indicator of how you would cut in a fight. Often they stand still and do a big wound up cut. Given such an advantage you can even shatter a steel helmet if your good.

test cutting is actually somewhat controversial in Japanese sword circles as many argue it can build bad habits
>>
File: 1430873382432.jpg (1 MB, 1728x2592) Image search: [Google]
1430873382432.jpg
1 MB, 1728x2592
>>849324
You must be joking.

In terms of artistic expertise, Europe put so much more effort into making armour both great looking while at the same being utmost protective.
>>
>razor sharp blade
A katana by the very design of the blade can't retain a razor edge.
>>
File: guaranteed_replies.webm (3 MB, 848x480) Image search: [Google]
guaranteed_replies.webm
3 MB, 848x480
>>849211
>>
>>849685

hell no they look crazy as hell
>>
>>847832
>>847969
Fun fact about the Mongol invasions.

Japanese considered them barbarians because they rushed in great numbers to fight the nips without waiting their turn.

Turns out that the way nips waged wars between clans was individual samurai declared their name to their opponents and they had a duel to the death on the field. A war would just be hundreds of duels.
>>
>>849786
>A war would just be hundreds of duels
Do you have any historical evidence for this?
>>
>>849844
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasions_of_Japan#Military_significance

>The invasions also exposed the Japanese to an alien fighting style which, lacking the single combat that characterized traditional samurai combat, they saw as inferior. This difference is noted in the Hachiman Gudōkun:

>According to our manner of fighting we must first call out by name someone from the enemy ranks, and then attack in single combat. But the Mongols took no notice at all of such conventions. They rushed forward all together in a mass, grappling with any individuals they could catch and killing them.[30]

>The Mongol method of advances and withdrawals accompanied by bells, drums and war cries was also unknown in Japan, as was the technique of Mongolian archers, which involved shooting arrows en masse into the air rather than long-ranged one-on-one combat.
>>
>>849685
European plate armor was better, but we talking about aesthetics alone. European plate armor is all just metal, metal, and more metal with maybe some unique curves here or there and then a few engraved flower petals if that.

If functionality was being taken into account at all I'd agree with you, but by looks alone, Samurai win.
>>
File: Pipo_of_Ozora.jpg (379 KB, 1256x2230) Image search: [Google]
Pipo_of_Ozora.jpg
379 KB, 1256x2230
>>849879
What you're looking at is the armour plates alone. At different periods in history, it would be worn with surcoats, skirts and other types of adornment. Later, people were able to put metal into shape where it would mimic the clothes of the time. The armour would be coloured, etched, gilded, fluted, twisted, ... - all kinds of techniques went into making it and remarkable craftsmanship was put to use.

I don't see what's supposed to be so great about Japanese armour. It resembles 14th century transitional armour. It's mostly mail, reinforced with some plates.
>>
>>849855
The theory that heroic combat characterized all samurai warfare has been challenged by recent scholarship. There are references to nighttime raids for instance and suprise attacks in early accounts

>>849929
It's mostly mail, reinforced with some plates.

the opposite really, it was plates reinforced with some mail. the main disadvantage, compared to European armor. is the gaps in most suits in places like the armpit or the inner arm and leg
>>
File: 1323880101541.jpg (729 KB, 1436x2521) Image search: [Google]
1323880101541.jpg
729 KB, 1436x2521
>>849950
>the opposite really, it was plates reinforced with some mail.
Semantics.

>the main disadvantage, compared to European armor. is the gaps in most suits in places like the armpit or the inner arm and leg
These weak points also existed in European armour.
>>
>>849929
That image doesn't help your case.
>>
How accurate is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5LY4Mz15o
>>
File: IjdHSik.jpg (167 KB, 787x1080) Image search: [Google]
IjdHSik.jpg
167 KB, 787x1080
>>849929
yeah but how tall were their hats
>>
>>849968
Its rare for me to argue against Japanese armor, but at least in most of the examples Ive seen. Their are less gaps you northern European armor and they tend to be smaller
>>
>>849974
How does it not? Did you even read the post?

Look at how the pauldrons mimic a layers coat and how they appear to be "flowing". Look at how the armour plays with mixing actual cloth with metal, having the white metal overlap the surcoat. The wide "flowing" surface areas were characteristic of Italian armour at that time.
>>
>>849975
meme reddit/imgur tier ADHD liberal hippie privileged yuppie shit
>>
File: Gothic_armour_01.jpg (163 KB, 600x1524) Image search: [Google]
Gothic_armour_01.jpg
163 KB, 600x1524
>>849996
Perhaps so, but the weak points remained the same.
>>
>>850056
I don't think I've ever seen a post that was all buzzwords before.
>>
The jews fear the samurai
>>
>>849855
>>849786
I'm not really well read on the subject, but I'm more than convinced that this only happened between the samurai, ie the aristocrats, and not the ashigaru ie the average soldiers.

Knights in Europe weren't so much different from the samurai in that regards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_of_the_Thirty

The ideals probably only mattered to the aristocrats, and even that wasn't always the case.
>>
File: mongol.jpg (157 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
mongol.jpg
157 KB, 800x1200
>>847472
>Mongol horse archer > Japanese Samurai = European knight
Also inb4 MUH KAMIKAZE.

Fine.

1 in 1000 chance of a super typhoon storm killing off mongols mounted on their horsies on a shitty ass junk trying to cross to japan > Mongol horse archer > Japanese Samurai = European knight
>>
>>850235
Nobles like to fight other nobles. You don't get much of an award for killing a nameless peasant
>>
File: finnish assburger.jpg (5 KB, 196x223) Image search: [Google]
finnish assburger.jpg
5 KB, 196x223
>>849844
>>850235
>>849786
>to fight the nips without waiting their turn
Japs did that because they were autistic and not because they were honorable.
Also that was for personal challenges. No one HAD to oblige their challenge to a dual.

Anyone who knows anything about Japanese history knows that every samurai and their respective daimiyo backstabbed, betrayed, and did other underhanded shit.

If you read into Japanese history, you'll know that the only people who were loyal were the ninjas. Ninjas can't own land or titles, they just worked from the shadows and were the loyalest to their lords.
>>
>>850305
If you really read Japanese history you know ninjas are a bundle of myth and speculation with almost nothing worth reading on them in english
>>
>>850270
>asians on horses using bows descend
>civilization shits it's self collectively
>>
>>850319
There's both. Hattori Hanzo for example had his exploits recorded.

He could have very easily betrayed his master on a multitude of situations that would have lead to promotion in another camp, saving his own life instead of risking death, or even becoming a daimiyo himself.

But he didn't so his deeds are recorded.
Also betrayals are recorded, that's why we know of so many betrayals that the samurai committed on each other.
>>
>>850328
>asians on TINY horses(remember mongol horses weren't as big) using bows descend
>civilization shits it's self collectively
To be fair they had numbers, technological advantage, and by that time they had conquered the northern Chinese and a few groups of kebabs and integrated their seige tech, gunpowder, man power, generals, and other advancements into their own army.
>>
>>850392
Classifying Hanzo as a ninja is debatable. He, first as a rural lord and later as a high ranking Tokugawa vassal almost certainly would have rejected the label himself.

the problem with the label is that ninjutsu pretty much covered all forms of asymmetrical warfare and espionage.
>>
>>850280
Yes.

Also nobles want bragging rights. There's nothing men honor more than 1v1 fights and if you can brag about how you cucked the French high ranking noble and took him as a hostage was a wet dream for anyone in England.
>>
>>850044
It's just a bunch of metal with a blouse. Give me some superfluous ornamentation and color painted right onto the armor!
>>
File: Kniggaaaa.png (282 KB, 375x582) Image search: [Google]
Kniggaaaa.png
282 KB, 375x582
Euro armor is way better tbqh
>>
>>850503
What people sought was the visual contrast between the earthy cloth and the shiny white metal without there being a difference in physical shape. The metal mimics the cloth while being clearly visible as metal. Later, "white armour" became popular, where the metal was fully polished, with no cloth being present, presenting a shiny figure that was never seen before. A man fully covered in polished metal. At later stages further experiments in terms of shape were made, costume armour, which elaborately continued to mimic the fashion of the day, often coloured and gilded, while at the same time leaving plenty of shiny metal parts, reminding people that it was still a suit of metal.
>>
Is there any example of Arabic/Ottoman armor?
>>
File: 1428818272477.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1428818272477.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>850588
>>
File: 8aecfb69.jpg (165 KB, 725x1200) Image search: [Google]
8aecfb69.jpg
165 KB, 725x1200
>>850670
>>
File: 3723520696_3a5c203d2f.jpg (143 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
3723520696_3a5c203d2f.jpg
143 KB, 375x500
This almost conquered the whole world
>>
>>850720
It didn't even get past poland
>>
>samurai thread
>gets spammed by mongaboos
>>
Superior American armor coming through
>>
>>850588
So basically "ooh, it's so shiny". You are selling it as well as it could be sold, but I'm still not buying it. I'm not in love with metal like some people are. I don't hate it and I understand the appeal, but it's just metal.

Show me a demon face on a knight's helmet. Or a flag banner protruding from his back. Or ornaments protruding from the helmet or pauldrons beyond mere feathers, something that is clearly in no way function but was still used in combat.

Function has is it's own beauty, but if you take function out of the equation entirely, Samurai win IMHO. Europeans were too pragmatic it seems, or simply didn't have much confidence in the idea of scaring their enemies off the battlefield.

Seriously though, show me a demon face on a European knight's helmet. I want such a thing to exist.
>>
>>850810
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el93MIxAf-c
>>
>>850838
>>
>>850849
spoopy
>>
>>847919
Fug I was laughing hard already when I first read it, now my professors actually mad
>>
File: 1353862893178.jpg (935 KB, 2000x3008) Image search: [Google]
1353862893178.jpg
935 KB, 2000x3008
>>850838
There was plenty of armour mimicking faces.

When it comes to flags or banners, you should consider that these were things that didn't pass the test of time. You can see them in depictions, but they didn't throughout the centuries.
>>
>>847472
Memes aside.

Imagine a professional mixed martial artist fighting against a bunch of average men found at a pub, he would knock down anyone who came at him.

Now imagine a similar skill gap except this time the professional has expensive armor, a polearm, sword and dagger while the average men have long spears. The professional has been trained to deal with this exact situation, he has trained against men far better than them, he knows exactly what to do. The average men had some training but it is very basic, just stay in formation and try to react to the enemy. Eventually one of the average men would make a mistake after being tested by the professional who would immediately take advantage of it. He will lose an eye, drop his weapon, try to fall back, possibly start crying in agony or running.

The professional's reputation would be destroyed if he fled, it would be as shameful as being branded a pedophile, he might even be forced to commit suicide by his own family so they can keep their land. He is not going to flee and the average men know it.

On the other hand the average men have no loyalty to their lord, their family just wants them to come home alive, they were here partly due to propaganda though mainly because they were forced to, if they believe their lord has been defeated they have no reason to stay, they might decide to risk their lord's wrath by fleeing prematurely rather than face what appears to be certain death.

So, again, memes aside, in a situation like this a professional could easily kill dozens of men and send a greater number fleeing.
>>
File: 3774080165_8e353b6cac_o.jpg (53 KB, 529x666) Image search: [Google]
3774080165_8e353b6cac_o.jpg
53 KB, 529x666
>>850058
Well that the thing, if the gaps are completely covered by chain mail are they really gaps? chain mail give good protection against cuts and ok protection against stabs.

while i have seem chain mail sleeves on samurai armor, I don't think they ever adopted wearing a whole suit of chain mail under their plate to fill in the gaps
>>
>>847472
Earlier on samurai were essentially knights, serving a feudal lord and owning land and shit. They were generally a lot better at archery, katanas are frail and made out of really shitty iron since Japan has tiny iron deposits.

Later on they were pretty much just bureaucrats with ceremonial swords, a lot of that bushido code nonsense was just nostalgia-goggling similar to how we do with Arthurian legend.

A European knight would probably beat a Samurai of the same era just because the knight had better armor.
>>
>>850939

>imagine a professional mixed martial artist fighting against a bunch of average men found in a pub

Implying average men wouldn't use avaricious tactics.. I'm sure if it was a group of average men they'd still kick MMA fighters ass by using poolsticks, bottles, mugs, pitchers, rush tactics, attacking from behind etc.

You give people who know how to fight too much credit. Even people with no formal training can still have street smarts and shit.
>>
File: 1451437062805.jpg (89 KB, 1110x440) Image search: [Google]
1451437062805.jpg
89 KB, 1110x440
>>851805
Originally samurai was the term for the lowest ranking class of warriors, the guys who would be on foot in simplified armor supporting the horsemen.

>katanas are frail and made out of really shitty iron since Japan has tiny iron deposits

This dank meme fact needs to die. katana or rather the tachi carried onto the battlefield were not frail. comparing a long sword to a modern katana is not accurate because the modern katana as the length and thickness of an edo era blade, in other words a day to day blade used for duels and self defense. Japanese blades were very popular in east asia outside japan.

and while it was not the weapon of choice, that is only because weapons like the spear and naginata are much better at penetrating armor, if you look at casualty records people still got cut a lot. perhaps half as much as they got stabbed with spears.

nodachi was used along side those pole arms as a shock weapon, since it had the length and durability. the downside was that it was expensive and still not as long
>>
>>851920
>pig iron
>not a meme metal
>>
>>849292
>he doesn't know about bulletproof samurai
Top wew
>>
>>851928
tamahagane is a lower carbon content than pig iron
>>
>>847575
>mostly fought other Samurai
>peasants
>bamboo armor meme

Most Samurai armor was iron or steel with layers of leather fampai, any Japanese warriors that had bamboo armor pre-date the Samurai caste.
>>
>>847472
This kneejerk reaction against Japanese history because of weeaboos is as cringe as the weeaboos worship of it.

Samurais were a political caste and in war they mostly used bows and polearms. They were equivalent of European knights.

In Feudal period of Japan, they became the de facto rulers of the nation with the emperor being only a political figure.

>>847575
Are you implying tight spear formations were somehow an inferior form of warfare to swords?
>>
>>850670
Arabic or Ottoman? They are completely different.
>>
>>851986
Japan barely had enough resources to make steel swords, all the armour was made of iron and leather.
>>
>>852075
That isn't true,
>>
>>852066
both
>>
>>849855
Hachiman Gudokun(八幡愚童訓) is not primary source.
It is a religious book written years after Mongol invasions of Japan. Hachiman(八幡) is the god of war.
This book was written for "Gods save our country with Kamikaze! Pray to Gods!"

In Moko Shurai Ekotoba, samuri from Dazaifu never used Ikkiuchi-style.
And they never did "Nanori"( 名乗り) against Mongol army. They did it for own comrades.

Wang Yun(王惲), a chinese historian who worked for the Mongol government, said
>兵仗有弓刀甲、而無戈矛、騎兵結束
>(Japanese army's)weapon is bows, swords and armors. No dagger-axe and spear.Cavalry are united.(Sorry bad English and translation)
>>
>>850826
ave true to caesar
>>
>>847919
Welcome to 4chan friend.
>>
>>852054
The emperor was more of a religious figure than a political one
>>
>>847472
The average samurai was nothing better than a common noble knight was in Europe.
During the edo period there were some pretty talented swordsman though. Ones that I would pick to be able to take down 5 armed men easily. Not in one swing though.
>>
>>852378
I would think there were a lot more skilled swordsman in the sengoku. Yaygu Munenori cut down several men armed with a variety of weapons when his group was ambushed during the osaka campaign, Tsuhara Bokuden fought dozens of duels and battles, Everyone knows about Musashi who also survived an ambush.
>>
File: samurai03.jpg (17 KB, 200x265) Image search: [Google]
samurai03.jpg
17 KB, 200x265
>>848798
Was there a reason they favored half bald haircuts like the Egyptians? Was it to protect against lice?
>>
>>847472
I played Total war shogun 2 fall of the samurai
they are fucking expensive and useless against rifles and canon

never again
>>
>>853782
It's so their helmets fit tightly on their heads.

And it only started around the Sengoku period.

Pre-Sengoku samurai worn full headed topknots.
>>
>>853782
To keep the helmet stable on the head. To show he is always ready for a battle, a samurai shaved the top of his head.
>>
>>852209
>Cavalry are united

So massed charges eh? Interesting.

And for the Japs to have no spears sounds unlikely. Wouldn't the ashigaru peasants they mobilized be using yari spears?
>>
>>856593
Ashigaru were not around at this time, and massed formations of guys with yari didn't become popular until about 1460.

The spear was just not poplar during this period. Samurai prefered the naginata
>>
>>849214
You cannot tell me Japanese military aesthetic wasn't significantly better than most other nations.
>>849274
>Japanese weapons are able to cleanly cut through both japanese and european armor, while european weapons can barely dent either.
Japanese armor was mostly soft iron and leather, it wouldn't withstand a sword being swung by a fresh recruit let alone a crossbow.
>>
>>856768
you realize your responding to a troll right? any source on the soft iron thing?

> wouldn't withstand a sword being swung by a fresh recruit let alone a crossbow.

Samurai armor would certainly protect you from a sword and probably from a crossbow except at close range. Heck even the crappy armor they gave to ashigaru would protect you from a sword
>>
File: 12.jpg (39 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
39 KB, 852x480
>>848962
Or perhaps he is wondering why you would shoot a man instead of dueling him
>>
Why do people compare Japanese samurai with European knight?
Japan is one country and Europe is regions including many countries.
it looks unfair.
>>
File: bulletproof samurai.jpg (243 KB, 700x1184) Image search: [Google]
bulletproof samurai.jpg
243 KB, 700x1184
>>849292
>>
>>853913
>>853816
Didn't they have straps on the helmets too like anon's pic related though?>>849995
>>
>>847621
Not really, lots of the meiji military were ex-samurai who enlisted.

Don't believe Tom Cruise, Saigo Takamori's forces were armed with modern equipment, and only resorted to archery and swords when the ammunition ran out
>>
>>849786
That's a simplification, but yes, there were ritualised elements to Japanese warfare, such as escalating volleys from horse archers ()
>>
>>852095
That's just knitted wool. I've seen Holy Grail before!
>>
File: 768px-Kusari_katabira_12.jpg (212 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
768px-Kusari_katabira_12.jpg
212 KB, 768x1024
Japanese chain mail(kusari-katabira鎖帷子)
鎖=chain
帷子=hemp clothing
Safe and Comfy
>>
>>856824
>japan is one country
That's nice.

It sure as fuck wasn't during the peiod in which samurai were relevant.
>>
>>849274
lol japanese fire arms are garbage
>>
>>857317
That's... actually pretty shitty. The weave is loose, and the Japanese didn't rivet their rings shut.

I would NOT want to rely on that armor.
>>
>>857335
samurai were very relevant though the classical and early medieval period were the central government was still very relevant
>>
File: 10-03-25_kote_031.jpg (95 KB, 800x580) Image search: [Google]
10-03-25_kote_031.jpg
95 KB, 800x580
Japanese gauntlet(kote籠手)

SAFE
>>
File: 10-03-25_kote_020.jpg (39 KB, 800x315) Image search: [Google]
10-03-25_kote_020.jpg
39 KB, 800x315
>>857350
AND COMFY
>>
File: 10-03-25_kote_038.jpg (68 KB, 800x540) Image search: [Google]
10-03-25_kote_038.jpg
68 KB, 800x540
>>857357
Thumb up
>>
File: 10-03-25_kote_030.jpg (48 KB, 800x472) Image search: [Google]
10-03-25_kote_030.jpg
48 KB, 800x472
>>857364
>>
File: Samurai_who_wore_ouyoroi.jpg (496 KB, 2376x3272) Image search: [Google]
Samurai_who_wore_ouyoroi.jpg
496 KB, 2376x3272
Shirizaya(尻鞘)
Scabbard cover made of animal fur.

FLUFFY
>>
File: o0600040011589505592.jpg (141 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
o0600040011589505592.jpg
141 KB, 600x400
FLUFFY
L
U
F
F
Y
>>
>>857404
I was going to say that looks like edo period recreation of older armor.
>>
File: Ashikaga_Yoshihisa.jpg (412 KB, 1200x1606) Image search: [Google]
Ashikaga_Yoshihisa.jpg
412 KB, 1200x1606
FLUFFY ON FLUFFY

>>857408
You are right. It is a recreation photo for westerners.
>>
File: ashikaga-takauji.jpg (112 KB, 600x671) Image search: [Google]
ashikaga-takauji.jpg
112 KB, 600x671
TIGER STRIPE FLUFFY
>>
>>851882

mayhaps I'm autistic but I think he more meant "get guys from a pub" not necessarily with the pub as the arena for combat
>>
>>857452
Doesn't matter same still applies.
It doesn't take much to know how to bash a guys skull with a rock, and surprisingly little provocation. Most people are just naturally bretty gud at violence.
>>
>>856846
Oh, that's "Nanbando", which literally means "western armor". Actually, European plate armor was imported in Japant after guns were widely used in battle.
>>
>>857242
Yes. But helmets get more stable on a shaved head.
>>
>>847542
This post is grounded in reality, but you could have been less condescending about it.

>>847472
The sharpness of the samurai sword is a meme. They were efficient for fighting on horseback and for dispatching lightly armored enemy infantry. At the end of the day, it's just a sword.
>>
>>847472
Yes. It's well known that katanas are capable of slicing through 5 hollows at once. With a counter damage of 150, if you strike first the katana will hit back, harder. Indeed, the powerstance for dual wielded katanas allows the user to strike even quicker than normal. With the new weapon arts in Dark Souls 3, the katana will once again be the king of the battlefield.
>>
File: 1434063370518.jpg (89 KB, 500x518) Image search: [Google]
1434063370518.jpg
89 KB, 500x518
>>847621
>>857255
Samurai were some of the first in Japan to adopt guns and have had firearms in their armouries from the 13th century onwards.
Pretending that they rejected them is simply a propagandistic hyperbole.
Japans relative isolation allowed the cast of knights to survive longer. The rapid military developments shifted them into a regressive light. Definatly politically motivated as the samurai had to give up a lot of their privileges with the inevitable military reforms.
>>
File: 1390931545324.jpg (87 KB, 995x746) Image search: [Google]
1390931545324.jpg
87 KB, 995x746
>>852075
> barely had enough resources to make steel
> all the armour was made of iron

/his/ should force the australian IP range to have flags...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel
>>
>>850058
Those were mostly tournament armors though and if you actually saw them on the battlefield they were worn by high ranking leaders and not regular knights. Common infantry had a chestplate and helmet, maybe some arm and upper leg protection and that's it.
>>
>>858744
While that armor is clearly based on western armor, I doubt whether it was made in the west. It has several stylistic and functional elements that do not seem European.

I'm thinking this suit might have been made in japan, though clearly based on western designs
>>
File: B 33 Picture-7.jpg (91 KB, 489x1024) Image search: [Google]
B 33 Picture-7.jpg
91 KB, 489x1024
>>862465
The armour you see in that picture is Gothic field armour. This type of armour was not specialised tournament armour but it was the type of armour worn at battlefields.

The armour you see in this picture would have been an example of tournament armour made for foot battles.
>>
File: Stechzeug.jpg (118 KB, 650x937) Image search: [Google]
Stechzeug.jpg
118 KB, 650x937
>>862465
>>863474
Here's also a suit of jousting armour made for the jousting variant of Gestech ("joust of peace") for comparison.
>>
File: s9Ei8q.jpg (359 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
s9Ei8q.jpg
359 KB, 768x1024
>>862465
>>863480
The jousting variant of Rennen ("joust of war") involved specialised armour that resembled the Gothic field armour in that regard that a sallet variant was used for the helmet, but otherwise it was very different.
>>
File: Noae_Kanetugu_Yoroi.jpg (407 KB, 1122x2952) Image search: [Google]
Noae_Kanetugu_Yoroi.jpg
407 KB, 1122x2952
>>849995
>Not wanting to cut down peasants with a giant "Love" kanji on your head.
Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.