[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>evidence of absence is evidence of absence Why do people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1437675264474.jpg (23 KB, 500x285) Image search: [Google]
1437675264474.jpg
23 KB, 500x285
>evidence of absence is evidence of absence
Why do people do believe this?
>>
>>834123

Because it's true Absence of evidence doesn't PROVE absence of the phenomena, but if you keep looking and never find anything then that is itself good evidence that perhaps there is nothing there at all.
>>
There's literally nothing possibly wrong with this statement.
>>
>>834123
Sure you didn't mean absence of evidence is evidence of absence? Because what you wrote is a logical necessity.
>>
>>834123
because most people aren't retarded.
>>
>>834123
>evidence of absence is absence of evidence

What mean?
>>
Typo?
>>
> Why do people do believe this?
This is like first law of logic. Tautologies are true statements.
>>
>>834123
I hope you misquoted someone trying to say something rational. I doubt it though.

On the other hand, I constantly have people saying that Jesus can't heal amputees, because there is no story in the bible about Jesus healing amputees.

Because to the godless, absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
>>
>absence of absence is not evidence of absence
Is there a word for phrases like these? A completely reasonable and logical statement that people only use when they want to convince you of their bullshit
>correlation is not causation
Is another one
>>
>>834851
Except correlation not being causation is a very useful tool with dealing with somebody trying to shill bullshit on you too.
>>
>>834851
Canard?
>>
>>834862
Maybe not canard.

Maxim?
>>
>>834867
"dime-store platitude" is a personal favorite.
>>
>>834851
Don't forget the classical one!
> You can't prove a negative
Which is logically wrong, misused most of the times and even contradicts itself.
>>
File: correlation_greece_facebook.png (87 KB, 442x336) Image search: [Google]
correlation_greece_facebook.png
87 KB, 442x336
>>834851
>>
>>834878

There are no statements of absolute truth.

My personal favorite.
>>
>>834860
>>834887
The problem is when it's used to dismiss meaningful correlations
>Data says smokers have a higher chance of developing lung cancer
>that don't mean nothing bro haha correlation != causation don't you know
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.