[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What were the biggest miscalculations or decisions based on fallacies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: Art - Cyrus the Great.jpg (90 KB, 570x675) Image search: [Google]
Art - Cyrus the Great.jpg
90 KB, 570x675
What were the biggest miscalculations or decisions based on fallacies in history in your opinion?
>>
>>832999
Uh, Hannibal thought he could win a war against rome, even though Carthage couldn't pay their mercenaries?
>>
>>832999
>decisions based on fallacies in history
Everyone who read Marx say "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles" and took it to be literal truth and acted on it.
>>
Hitler going to war with both the Allies and Soviet Russia.

If he had picked either of them, chances are the other would have joined him
>>
>>833178
to some degree is true in a way, we analize the past from different points of views. im pretty sure that when the age of constitutionalism is over we will have a whole other view of the past
>>
coming on top of my head

>Generals in WW1 believed that the war would end in less than a year
>Italians during WW2 believed that war againist Greece would be won fairly quickly
>Hitler attacking the Soviet Union before ending/winning the war againist the UK
>>
>>833169
>shit guys throwing babies into a furnace isn't working
>>
>Invading Russia
>Not being Poland
>>
>>833179

Hitler should have just made a treaty with Poland to use her as a transit point for a full scale invasion of the soviet union

The west would be cheering him on and Germany could have had its empire in the east and its living space

The locals would have even helped if Germany had promised them a better future without famines and purges
>>
conck
>>
Does anybody know of any cases in which decisions were made basically purely on emotion? Especially ones that backfired?
>>
none
>>
tt
>>
literally all communism
>>
>>832999
Pyrrhus the Retard thinking he could just wage war in the middle of another war without concequences...

sniff what could've been...
>>
>>832999
White people and culture are uniquely evil because of the history of Colonialism and their role in Modernity.

There are so many ridiculous parts to the above statement I could teach a year-long fucking college class on it.
>>
>>832999
Reaganomics
>>
>>833323
>Germany
>not purging people
>>
>>832999
Better one man die, than the nation perish.
>>
>>833449
Having children
>>
positivism
>>
>>834138
ow the edge
>>
>>832999

Killing Genghis Khans emissaries and then splitting your army into hundreds of tiny garrisons because you dont trust your cities.

Woahboy, going from arguably the most militarily powerful leader on the planet to dying on an island with just your sons in 2 years.
>>
>>833239
WW1 especially, it was an unbelievable clusterfuck on almost all accounts.
>>
Battle of Karánsebes
>>
Caracalla
>>
>>834216
That made decent sense given that nomads were traditionally lousy when it came to siege warfare despite dominating on the field
>>
>>833323
>west cheering him on
Good thing you didn't waste a get
>>
>>833242
hehe..
have a (you)
>>
>>832999
Mugabe deciding to evict the majority of experienced farmers with no real plan for after was a pretty big blunder I'd think
>>
File: oh shit.jpg (53 KB, 402x402) Image search: [Google]
oh shit.jpg
53 KB, 402x402
>>832999
>wait, we can't make industrial grade steel in our backyards?
>wait, crops don't harvest themselves?
>>
>>837621
>I know, I'll just half the distance seeds are sown in the fields!
>It'll double the crops!
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.