[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long did it take for medieval ironwork to surpass the Roman one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: gothic armor.jpg (234 KB, 2008x1385) Image search: [Google]
gothic armor.jpg
234 KB, 2008x1385
How long did it take for medieval ironwork to surpass the Roman one?
>>
China had a bunch of innovations that weren't present in the early Middle Ages, for example in the 5th century BCE they already had muh cast iron

9th century Europe for muh Ulfberht swords

13th century for muh full suits of steel
>>
when guys like vikings or arabs started to discover pic related
>>
>>832190
No time at all, the only knowledge actually lost with the fall of the Roman empire was stuff too expensive and large-scale for the smaller successor states to keep doing, like the roman roads.
>>
Lorica Segmentata was shit.
>>
wasn't metallurgy one of the science that actually did advance massively during the medieval period?
>>
File: nice sword.jpg (333 KB, 1100x766) Image search: [Google]
nice sword.jpg
333 KB, 1100x766
>>832190
Depends what part of "ironworks" As far as I know constructing blades of multiple pieces of different carbon content in the pattern welding way we all know and love was a novelty.

The basic bloomery remained the same for a long time until the 11-13th century when everyone got a stiffy for hooking up everything they could to waterpowered wheels, so you get water powered furnances, stampers, hammers, mills, wire drawing marchines etc etc.

>>833144
In sheer production quantities it did with the above mentioned inventions and the fact that the European population roughly doubled.
>>
>>832190
How would the person in that suit armour pee?
>>
>>834490
The brayette has a front flap you can open,
>>
>>834490

You don't. You go before you put it on, or hold it in for the few hours you'd be wearing it.
>>
>>834689
read >>834493
>>
>>834706

The 'flap' is the entire front of the piece. You can't really open them without taking the entire thing off or scratching yourself on the edge.
>>
File: CIMG8293.jpg (123 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
CIMG8293.jpg
123 KB, 480x640
>>834820
It is supposed to have a leather liner at the top, first you wrap the rear part around your waist and tie it down, this will only leave a small gap. Then the front flap is raised over this and pointed to a doublet or such. At least that is how I have seen it in "action".
>>
>>834884

Either way, you need to either take most of it off or poke your manhood between a bunch of jagged rings.

Or wait and hour or two and go when you get back to the castle/camp.
>>
File: vk-313593817.jpg (49 KB, 604x421) Image search: [Google]
vk-313593817.jpg
49 KB, 604x421
>>834942
I'm pretty sure that you'd be able to untie the points and take a quick leak.

That said fine mail doesn't need to be that jagged, even riveted mail. Though you'd probably be safe bushwacking it down below if you're gonna attempt it.
>>
>>834942
>>834884
>>834820
>>834706
>>834689
>>834493
>>834490

>this thread about evolution of ironworks
>mfw this civil discussion about how someone takes a leak in an armour
>>
>>834490
just be urself
>>
>>834990

I suppose you could, if you were truly desperate. Like piss will start coming out of your tears ducts soon, urgent.

I wonder if the accounts of nobles being shot in the face lifting their visors to take a drink are romanticised coverups of them being shot in the balls lifting their mail skirts or undoing brayettes to have a wee?
>>
>>832190
It didn't; they only surpassed the Romans during the Renaissance.
>>
>>835152
well, that's a crock of bullshit if I ever read it.

the romans were in fact notoriously bad at ferrous metals. the majority of their production coming from north africa, and later noricum and gaul, where they had plenty of resources to do so.

Medieval metallurgy had matched the romans by the 6th century, and with the development of the overshot wheel and its rapid spread by the Cisterean Order in the 11th century, completely outclassed Roman infrastructure and production.
>>
>>835148
Not they actually died by getting shot in the face because that is one of the weakest points in armor. An arrow isn't going through the torso armor and if he even managed to penetrate a limb it would hardly be lethal.
>>
>>835308
>and if he even managed to penetrate a limb it would hardly be lethal.
Like hell; unless the wounded could retire from the battlefield promptly, the wound would bleed and probably become infected because arrows were frequently dipped in shit and the wound being exposed meant that the stew of bacteria on the undercoat would be a concern as well. With prompt treatment things often weren't nearly that bad, but prompt is the key word here.
>>
>>835152
This meme needs to die
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 180x213) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 180x213
>>832209
>he uses BCE
>>
>>835003
First day on 4chan?
>>
>>835385
Seeing how like half the people who got shot in the face survived getting shot in a limb isn't so bad. As long as the arrow didn't hit an artery it's a self sealing wound. Any medieval doctor worth his salt could disinfect a wound.

In the US where bow hunting is legal you will see wild game with arrows sticking out of them every so often.
>>
>>835444
I thought everyone used CE and BCE?
In my high school we weren't allowed to use bc or ad as it was outdated.
>>
>>835003

It was a good question imo
>>
>>835486
>As long as the arrow didn't hit an artery it's a self sealing wound.
Eventually.

>Any medieval doctor worth his salt could disinfect a wound.
But nof it he can't get to it quickly enough, which was my point. As far as field medicine goes...
>Wash feces-tainted wound with water-based bacteria stew or grape-based bacteria stew
>Apply poultice of herbs chewed by someone else to the injury
>Bind injury with a strip of filthy cloth soaked in one of the aforementioned bacteria stews
>There, all better.
>>
>>836209

If only there was a first hand account of a medieval doctor, describing exactly how he treated and arrow to the face?

https://mattlewisauthor.wordpress.com/2014/05/21/the-scar-of-henry-v/
>>
>>835986
You are right. Ignore that anon, he won't help you get into college.
>>
>>835986
>outdated
>it's exactly the same
>>
File: 1446775984673.jpg (46 KB, 591x960) Image search: [Google]
1446775984673.jpg
46 KB, 591x960
>>835986
Let us keep using the birth of Christ as a milestone, let's just change it to.Common Era for muh diversity and political correctness
>>
Metalworking was a hard skill, not an idea or maintenance intensive monument.

The only ideas lost in the Fall of Rome were the ideas of big, upkeep heavy things like an intercontinental road system. Metalworking only continued to improve after Rome fell as more and more smiths continued smithing.
War drives invention more than anything else, and post Rome Europe was anything but peaceful.
>>
>>836209
>bacteria stew
>necessarily bad
Whelp, found the person who should never post on /sci/. I've cut my thumb on an old chisel and shoved it into the dirt without cleaning for five hours, literally nothing happened.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.