[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people so afraid of nihilism? The world has no objective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 1
File: 1457725335392.jpg (25 KB, 745x745) Image search: [Google]
1457725335392.jpg
25 KB, 745x745
Why are people so afraid of nihilism?
The world has no objective meaning or purpose. I think that's a fact
But it doesnt mean we should just end it or that we can't have our own meaning and purpose however subjective they are

I think it is a very empowering way of thinking not something that leads to depression or suicide
Are people so weak that they dont have the will to live without a higher purpose?
>>
well, its tricky. Its not that nihilism is bad, its sorta the opposite. someone will get depressed, believe the world has no meaning, accept nihilism and then kill themselves.

or do whatever the fuck they like.

either way, it ends with the word becoming unliked, especially upon the religious who entire live's revolve around their being a point.
>>
>>824131
>Why are people so afraid of nihilism?
Because of the general perception that a nihilist will not be inhibited by the kind of moral/spiritual concerns that keep most people from doing awful shit.
>>
>>824131

Rin is fucking trash
>>
>>824143
The problem is that we have secular people denouncing nihilism aswell and seeing it as an evil to be avoiding and taking refuge in things like positivism and humanism
>>
>>824131
Nihilism cannot exist, it's self-contradiction, and people who call themselves "nihilists" are usually the most insufferable faithful bastards.
>>
>>824229
>Nihilism cannot exist, it's self-contradiction
please explain
>>
>>824244
Nihilism is a value.
>>
>>824244
>>824229
yes, no arrogance, general curiosity.

to be nihilistic just means that you do not believe you, the world, or anything has an ultimate goal or point to life. that literally, nothing has value unless you make it have value. put even simpler, the OP said it best.

>The world has no objective meaning or purpose.

So i don't see how it can be self-contradicting.
>>
>>824248
It's an assessment of value, the conclusion being that there is none
>>
>>824248
What if it was? It doesnt contradict itself
Nihilism doesnt mean values dont exist, just that they have no objective meaning
>>
>>824131
You gotta will something. To be a nihilist is to be a modern man, and modern man kinda sucks.
>>
>>824342
To be a modern man you need working mind and passionate heart. That is why many people try to find ideal in the past. They are not brave enough. To be a modern man is to live without hints about how you should live your life.
>>
>>824131
>le ebin millenial not afraid to look the meaninglessness of the universe straight in the eye maymay

nigga please
>>
>>824358
>>824342
i thought you just had to live in the year 2016 and be a man.
>>
>>824359
>The only thing moralfags can come up with is calling you an edgy kid
>>
>>824131
>But it doesnt mean we should just end it or that we can't have our own meaning and purpose however subjective they are
>our own meaning and purpose
>just make shit up idk lol

I don't understand how this is supposed to be any better than religion.
>>
>>824431
Because you have the power of making the shit up as opposed to having the shit premade and fed to you, how is the former not better than the latter?
>>
>>824431
this is literally atheism though. nothing has any meaning so just make your own meaning for things. religions believe that we all are born with a purpose. the world itself has a purpose, that everything has a purpose.

Saying shit happens and nothing matters unless we let it, sorta makes people uncomfortable.
>>
>>824436
>this is literally atheism though.
Clarifying this
>*this is literally what a lot of atheist's believe though
>>
Nihilism is bad for you on the long run.

Living like everyday is your last is also stupid.

Live like you are immortal, because in a sense you are, and it's the healthiest mindset to have.
>>
>>824431
> how this is supposed to be any better than religion
It is really simple. Nihilism said that to be a good writer you need to write your own book. Religions said that to be a good writer you need to copy all their books word to word. In both cases you write some shit. The subtle difference here is that from some point of view life of religious person couldn't become that person's Magnum Opus. Such book was already written by someone else. In the end, your life as some kind of solution to physical and logical equations isn't much differences from your life being a solution to some kind of the divine law.
>>
>>824462
> Live like you are immortal, because in a sense you are
In a sense everyday is your last day so this kind of logic doesn't holds. If anything you should just live your live as your life. This is only right even if trivial answer.
>>
Nihilism is where the skeptic goes if he doesn't stop doubting everything. You eventually have to stop and build something.
>>
>>824582
>You eventually have to stop and build something.
Why?
>>
>>824616
otherwise you fall in dogmatic septicism... and speticism being anti-dogmatic you end up doubting of scientific truth.
tl;dr septicism should be used with reason
>>
>>824638
Your argument isnt very logical sounding
>>
>>824648
let me help, basically, you either be skeptical till you find solid ground, something you believe or you start doubting science itself. potentially even going crazy and becoming a solist or something. (people that believe the world is all in their head)
>>
>>824638
Are you saying we shouldn't doubt 'scientific truth'
You know how science works right, the only thing better than proving a new theory is disproving an old one.
>>
>>824131
>>815800
>>815800
>>815800
>>
>>824671
Science isn't absolute truth neither does it answer many foundamental questions about life
>>
>>824131
>the will to live without a higher purpose?
That sounds like absurdism.

>have our own meaning and purpose however subjective they are
That sounds like existentialism.

Nihilism isn't about the lack of objective meaning, it's about the lack of meaning.
>>
>>824131
Because I don't believe nihilism is an absolute truth. We don't know whether or not there is any meaning to life, or our existence
Also, if you're nihilistic because you believe YOU are meaningless given your inevitable death. What makes you think death = non-existence?
Whether you are religious or not, we don't know this. For instance, what if time, past and present are fixed in existence? Doesn't that infer that your presence is fixed in existence since you existed at some point?
If you could go back in time and see your grandparents, wouldn't that mean your grandparents exist somewhere beyond death?
>>
>>824702
This is like Atheism vs Agnosticism
If there is no proof of existence for an objective meaning you just assume there isnt
>>
>>824364
The modern age is over, though. We're on the space or information age.

You can be still be spaceman, how cool is that?
>>
You should ask yourself this question: why are you doubting?
>>
>>824702
You took this a bit far but let me try something here.

What do you mean by this:
>We don't know whether or not there is any meaning to life, or our existence

what meaning could their be? forget death, afterlife, etc, specifically, what, besides ourselves and others, give things meaning? I give myself meaning and purpose to my own existence for example but because i myself am doing so and do not innately have a meaning, i can be seen as nihilistic.
>>
>>824715
You're saying that if there is no evidence for existence beyond death, or meaning than we can assume that it doesn't exist?
You can make any assumptions you want, that doesn't make nihilism an absolute truth, and so long as it isn't I don't understand why people should adopt nihilism
without questioning it like its some universal truth, especially if it can so dramatically influence your life choices.
>>
>>824131
Yeah I get what you're saying. But isn't this more Existentialism then Nihilism ?
>>
Question the axiology behind nihilism
>>
>>824736
>what meaning could their be?
This depends on what you define as meaning, and leads to other questions like what is consciousness, where do we come from? Things that people have yet to even begin to understand

>>824769
This
>>
>>824784
i'll give you consciousness but we know pretty damn well where we come from. man + woman = person, evolution = man + woman.
>>
>>824750
>You're saying that if there is no evidence for existence beyond death, or meaning than we can assume that it doesn't exist?
Yes
>I don't understand why people should adopt nihilism without questioning it like its some universal truth
I believe its the most sensible conclusion one can reach because literally everything else just falls flat on its face
>>
>>824789
I mean in terms of the universe, why does the universe exist at all?
>>
>>824798
>I believe its the most sensible conclusion
It may be, but you have to consider what you are giving up. I think its better to live a life with a presumption of meaning, than one without it. If it turns out that there is meaning to life, would you rather have had lived a life with the presumption of meaning or lived one without?
>>
>>824832
>you have to consider what you are giving up
Like what?
>would you rather have had lived a life with the presumption of meaning or lived one without?
Definitely the latter. I want to be the master of my own meaning and purpose, i dont want it to be something that is already decided for us
>>
>>824883
>Like what?
I was kinda trying to reconstruct pascals wager in terms of meaning. If you live a life void of meaning because you believe the universe is void of meaning when its not
i think you'd agree that is pretty unfortunate. You should always live a life with the presumption of meaning especially if there is a small possibility there is meaning to life, there is no point to be a nihilist. If you live an existential life like you describe thats something completely different from nihilism.
>>
>>824942
To elaborate since im having trouble articulating this
If you live a meaningful life, and the world is meaningless you lose and gain nothing
If you live a meaningful life and the world is meaningful you gain

If you live a meaningless life, and the world is meaningless you lose and gain nothing
If you live a meaningless life, and the world is not meaningless then you lose

Of all the cases its better to live a meaningful life than a meaningless one since you either gain or don't, where as in a meaningless life you either lose or don't
The odds are better for the former.
>>
>>824978
It's a bit more cheery than that mate.

>If you live a meaningful life, and the world is meaningless you will still have lived life as if it had meaning.
>>
>>824978
Is this just some sort of reformulation of Pascal's Wager?
>>
>>825043
Not him but:
>>824942
>I was kinda trying to reconstruct pascals wager in terms of meaning.
>>
>>825043
>"I was kinda trying to reconstruct pascals wager in terms of meaning"
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.