[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Philosophically, should you do what makes you happy with not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: black-man-thinking1.jpg (65 KB, 400x470) Image search: [Google]
black-man-thinking1.jpg
65 KB, 400x470
Philosophically, should you do what makes you happy with not a lot of money or should you make a lot of money at the expense of your happiness?

Asking for uhh, a friend.
>>
>>822152
The latter option is more spooky than the former.
>>
>>822154

I've never read Stirner, could you summarize this "spook" thing?
>>
What would you do with a lot of money? Humans work to live, not live to work.
>>
Well depending on how much money you could just retire earlier

Whichever option allows you to spend more time doing what you love then?
>>
>>822162
If I had a lot of money? I wouldn't work
>>
>>822162
Well money makes me happy, don't know about OP or you guys but having money brings me happiness.
>>
Christ, just take it to /adv/ if you want someone to talk about your problems with. They're more than happy to give you advice even if they did not know a 15% of the necessary info to open their mouths or had just turned 15.

What do you even mean by "philosophically"? I guess it'd depend on the philosopher. But it really depends on what you are doing now, what do you want to do, what are your goals, how you view life etc etc
>>
>>822152

I think a lot of people struggle with this question but few people actually struggle with the reality.

I think falling in the exact center is probably the worst. You have enough money to (probably) never starve and there's little contrast in your life.

Being poor sucks sure, most people worth mentioning have been there. You feel defeated and helpless as you lack the thing which runs our society. There's also kind of a "blank slate" feeling that comes with it, and a "nothing to lose" feeling that comes when you're young. I have literally been a street person with no recourse. Sometimes it was a ball, sometimes it was mental hell.

I have never been super rich. The highest I have ever got in the money game is American middle class. While it felt nice to have "everything" covered it was pretty boring and i had a hard time applying meaning to things.

Right now I am probably at middle-lower-class in American standards which mind you is decent compared to a lot of the world. It's kind of cool, i shitpost and work from home and have the freedom to do whatever i want. I imagine i would probably do the same thing if i were top 1-10% just with more traveling, women, and nice things.

TL;DR: from someone who has been on the extreme low end to the very middle of the spectrum; probably.
>>
Philosophically, money is nothing, it is just a means to an end.
If this mean isn't working, ie, you have loads of a mean but you're getting none of the end, then it's a bad mean. I'd rather have the end of happiness with what ever means I have to get it, be that no/little money (a mean you think has any meaning in this thought experiment)
>>
>>822175
Retirement is the biggest meme/spook/joke or whatever you wanna call it there is.
>>
>Put $2000 a year into a Roth IRA
>Retire at 60
>live comfortably off the interest
>>
Money=ferrari=bitches=supreme enlightment=happiness
>>
>>822152
entertainment and happiness are the ultimate goals. Depends on risk vs reward. is the money worth it and if so, for how long?
>>
>>823903
how? I mean, sure, not everyone gets to do it but its what everyone wants. not to work, that is.
>>
>>823942

>being confident you will make it to 60

Kek
>>
>>824010
>being this cynical in 2016
>average age is at least 80.

lighten up.
>>
File: money is human happiness.jpg (61 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
money is human happiness.jpg
61 KB, 850x400
>>822152
>>822359
>>
>>822152
Go for the money OP how you enjoy your job is how you decide to deal with it. You can either slave away and resent the decision or you can try and find enjoyment from coworkers etc. Not to mention the extra money means you'll retire early if you plan it smartly.
>>
I would pick the money. If you work for money and have a lot left over, you can give it to a worthy charity, thus turning your toil into someone else's joy. It would be a virtuous deed.

Working to be happy, while not exactly bad, is usually less beneficial to those around you unless you are an exceptional person.
>>
>>824010
Well I'm not fat, am physically active, watch what I eat, and the only genetic disorder that has been recorded in my family is balding.
>>
>>822152
Whatever brings you closer to God, my good friend.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.