[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most Americans refuse to learn about history of the 19th Century
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
Most Americans refuse to learn about history of the 19th Century because European imperialism is deeply upsetting to them. Intellectually, US academia is stunted by ideology and is not open as the rest of the world. In comparison, there is intense study of the colonial experience in other parts of the world.

Americans are reaching a point where in the study of history, they are starting to fall behind due to lack of academic freedom. I come from a third world country with heavy government interference, and even then it has freer history departments than can be found in an average US college.
>>
>>821990
>Most Americans refuse to learn
Care to give some examples?
>>
>>821994
In the US, the best funded programmes are naturally American studies (and its sub branches) and social history
>>
>>822003
>>821990
Your ass isn't a good source, amigo.
>>
>>821990
>Most Americans refuse to learn about history of the 19th Century

Are you serious? There are plenty of American scholars focused on the 19th century, and there is plenty of interest in the period. The problem is that American historians of the 19th century focus on 19th century American history, and being a a butthurt Europoor from an irrelevant country this upsets you because no one cares about your petty monarchs and territorial disputes or lame colonization of primitive peoples.

To add insult to injury, the best scholars on 19th century European history are Americans. You aren't even the best at writing your own history. How pathetic.
>>
>European imperialism is deeply upsetting to them
Hasn't been my experience, I've found Americans have a certain pride in the period, simply since the US IS European Imperialism. Americans identify strongly with European (esp British) history because white Americans are just Euros plus a couple centuries. The US is the ultimate success story: Europeans became unsatisfied with their remote government, so they revolted and founded a new government built on lofty ideals of equality and such - then proceeded to get rich (off of inequality, ofc) and take the reigns of global power from Europe.
>>
>>821990
>history dept in my uni is specializing in 19th century of my country
>it's all about muh colonialism
>Euro moneys still flowing in for research
Obviously OP is a faggot.
>>
>>821990
>European imperialism is deeply upsetting to them
It's not upsetting to them, they just don't care about anything that happens outside America, unless it directly involves them. I mean, really aggressively don't care, to the point where if you try to talk about it they look at you as if you were a Star trek nerd trying to talk about the finer points of Klingon culture.

The 19th century for them is all about the American Civil War. The fifty years preceding are seen as the lead-up to the Civil war, and the two or three decades after it are the aftermath. The very beginning of the 19th century is more about post-independence and the war of 1812, but apart from that it's civil war all the way. Being 'open minded' in American history education is looking at something that doesn't have anything to do with slavery, the civil war or anything like that.

Good luck ever getting them to care about anything that happened outside America - they don't even care about other countries today, they're never going to give a shit about what they were like two hundred years ago
>>
Not true about refusing to learn, but imperialism is deeply unsettling to me. It makes me mad to think of once great civlizations being pushed around by Europe. The marshall perry and japan makes me mad because they considered themselves great only to be bullied by some other country. Or egypt being putty in the hands of the british.

No matter how great they become, they can never take away the fact that they were Europe's bitches, and I do not like this.
>>
File: 1457636425910.png (346 KB, 757x1134) Image search: [Google]
1457636425910.png
346 KB, 757x1134
>>821994
Well this is the kind of stuff Europeans keep hearing about your colleges, but if it's highly exaggerated or downright false I would be really happy
>>
File: 24234239655231.png (11 KB, 310x415) Image search: [Google]
24234239655231.png
11 KB, 310x415
>>822386
You do realize those stats are even worse for Europe, right?
>>
File: Monitor_model.jpg (30 KB, 673x249) Image search: [Google]
Monitor_model.jpg
30 KB, 673x249
>>821990
>Most Americans refuse to learn about history of the 19th Century because European imperialism is deeply upsetting to them.

>deeply upsetting to them

Have you stop think as to why it is deeply upsetting to us? During that time frame we used to have very good relations with Russia and France. Both those things go up in smoke in the 20th century. As a american it is hard to read about the boxer rebellion and not either be reminded of it or figure it out. Another issue is how our relationship with our current best friend was, the UK. In the late 19th century after our naval build up they viewed us as their principle threat till the Germans got into the naval race. Made sense at the time because of who our allies were then. However after WW1 the UK started viewing us as their principle threat again.

Or how about our treaty with Korea to come to their defense. The King of korea was so happy on hearing that the treaty was finish that he is said to have started dancing in the middle of court. Shorty afterwords the First Sino-Japanese War over among a number of things who gets to take korea. Korea asked for us to honor our treaty and we did not.

> colonial experience

That will just remind us of our efforts to prevent the UK and France from holding their empire together in the 1950s & 1960s. Followed closely by how those places ended up messes.

The last reason is that it screws up the common narrative of the Civil War, which as >>822329 points out is very important to us.

France and the UK were very much willing to give recognition the CAS if the opening phases of the war worked out in their favor. Till Russia made a agreement that they would enter the war on the side of the Union if other powers entered the war. They sent a fleet to New york city for much of the war to show that they would honor said agreement. The price was in naval technical transfer. The finished plans for the monster left for St.Peter the same day as the copy being sent to Washington
>>
>>821990
Somehow, every day on /his/, there's a new thread OP more full of shit than the last. Just when you think they've reached the maximum volume of bullshit, there's someone new with even more.
>>
>>822685
>However after WW1 the UK started viewing us as their principle threat again.
I very much doubt that.
>>
>>822857

He will without a doubt post an invasion of America via Canada war plan as proof of this.
>>
I'm an American and I like learning about European imperialism, though.
>>
>>822021

Fuckin this. You can't put your American experience in a bottle after only having been to one state. Foreigners always think they got the youth and thought process of the hegemony all figured out after a brief visit.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.