[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christian (Neo)Platonism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: bild.jpg (31 KB, 380x220) Image search: [Google]
bild.jpg
31 KB, 380x220
Can it be done? And I don't mean that watered down shit like Augustine, but something more in line with Philo and Origenes.

>The myths of the Old Testament and Jesus' parables are sensible supports for metaphysical doctrines, no different than Plato's myths or the way the Neoplatonists interpreted Homer;
>Yahweh is the demiurge and the instrumental cause of the universe;
>The One is above the demiurge and is the final cause of the universe;
>The waters in Genesis are uncreated prime mater described by Plato in the Timaeus and the material cause of the universe;
>The Logos is the formal cause of the universe; he is the sum total of ideas, the model the demiurge used to create the universe;
>The Logos incarnated as the man Jesus and died for our sins; however
>Souls are eternal and there is reincarnation/metempsychosis and possibility of falling back to the body
>Hell and purgatory are not eternal but temporary places for punishment of sins; etc.
>>
File: cp.gif (10 KB, 598x405) Image search: [Google]
cp.gif
10 KB, 598x405
>>
>>816740
Well sure if you ignore the fact that two things contradict each other you can make anything "compatible".
>>
I refuse to believe OT God is the same as NT God

OT "God" is a fucking monster
>>
>>816836
Yes and that is painfully obvious. Gnostics thought that the god of the OT was evil, but this is wrong. He is only a lesser being than the One or the Good, the Unknown God of the Greeks.
>>
>>816825
So what? The OT and the NT also contradict each other and Christians have been ignoring that for two millenia. What matters is metaphysics not narratives.
>>
>>816740
St. Clement of Alexandria is probably the best you'll get.
>>
>>816836
View the debate over Marcionism.
>>
>>816740
>Can it be done?
I dont think so, but who cares? St. Bonaventure is based enough
>>
>>816884
I will check him out. Thanks.
>>
>>816898
Don't you care the least that St. Bonaventure is basically Proclus with a Christian garb, but without citing his source? Why hide? Why not come out of the closet already?
>>
Heavenly Jerusalem = Plato's Republic.
>>
>>816911
but he isnt. he pretty much held that you cant do metaphysics without revelation
>>
>>816924
Except he is. It's a shame that you rather deny this because it might be embarassing for him, rather than reading Proclus to fully appreciate what he is talking about.
>>
>>816941
But he isnt.

Who's Proclus anyways? Was he Christian? :)
>>
>>816941
Speaking of Proclus, it has been shown (by Platonist Thomas Taylor) that Dionysus the Aeropagite quoted Proclus almost verbatim without giving him credit (it's less bad because Dionysus is a pseudonym). No hard feelings though. I just wish Christians would come out in the open.
>>
>>816950
Wait a minute you were denying that St Bonaventure took inspiration from Proclus and yet you don't even known who Proclus is? So how would you know that? Proclus was a neoplatonist pagan philosopher btw.
>>
>>816959
I didnt deny anything, I was just funposting
>>
>>816968
Oh. Accept Plato as the Greek Moses.
>>
>>816982
Plato borrowed from Moses
>>
>>816992
Preposterous.
>>
Christianity, at least from the earliest records we have was always Platonic in nature. Hell even before there was s a Jesus Yawheh was already married to Plato with Hellenistic Judaism. Yawheh was identified as the One and the Greek Gods were his helpers.

If you really want to see a beautiful form of Christianity look at Renaissance Hermetic Gnosticism (Hermtism and Gnosticism are themself just mystical spin offs of Platoism). The primal substance the world is created out of is knowledge, because humans possess this they too are divine, and angels are humans that reached their full potential. Giordano Bruno and Giovanni Pico della Mirandola were it's heroes. So there is already a model set up. Another neat model is Jung's set up, arc-types are basically Platonic forms but in a psychic set up.

Now the compatibility problem is this. There is a force other than God, that force is a type of magic and humans can tap into this. For instance the correct knowledge is a type of magic. This gives an incredible amount of agency (and dignity) to the human race. Humans become part of the divine realm.

This is outside most people's standard idea of monotheistic moral law and metaphysics. In mundane types of Christianity... the only rule is God, all moral and metaphysics happen through him. In contrast when humans are part of the divine realm the world is amoral, since humans can use the magic/knowledge themself and make their own good and evil. Also some people are not comfortable with a level of mysticism where Man is semi-divine.
>>
>>817286
This, anyone who claims the constant use of Platonist terminology in Christian theology is being obtuse.
>>
>>817286

awwwshitnigga5starpost.jpg
>>
>>817286
You have tripfags who write like this and you have tripfags who are Christian but don't know what Nicene Creed is.

I'm undecided about them.
>>
>>817286
>>817318
>>817424
>>817478
samefag
>>
>>816740
What's neoplatonism? Did they add anything to the "man is chicken but with..." thing?
>>
>>817507
Its a patrician thing, plebs like you shouldn't bother with it.
>>
>>816740
But it was done. In many cases, with absolutely horrifying results.
>>
>>816836
Is this a joke? Yahweh god of the Hebrews will exterminate your people and wipe their name from history, but once you're dead the bad part is over.

God Almighty in the NT will literally burn you in a pit of fire for all eternity.
>>
>>819400
Develop your meaning further.
>>
File: 1684.jpg (18 KB, 450x329) Image search: [Google]
1684.jpg
18 KB, 450x329
ALL HAIL THE KINGS OF NEOPLATONISM !
>>
>>819406
Behead those who insult Yahweh!

t. Sandnigger
>>
>>816875
Shut up, Plotinus.
>>
>>816992
>plato knowing or caring about some mythical barbarian
lol
>>
>>816992
WEW
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.