[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jerusalem 70 AD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 15
Daily reminder that it actually happened.

As Jesus Christ prophesied it.

Less than a century after the jews killed him, Jerusalem, the Great Whore of Babylon, was completely annihilated by the Beast it was riding on, Rome.

The Second Temple was blown the fuck out.

Over 1,1 million jews were massacred (including many foreigners because of Passover) and early 100,000 were ensalved.

This is what happens when you kill the Father's Son. You experience His Wrath
>>
File: scatteredjews.jpg (386 KB, 2024x1480) Image search: [Google]
scatteredjews.jpg
386 KB, 2024x1480
Josephus described the scene:

As the legions charged in, neither persuasion nor threat could check their impetuosity: passion alone was in command. Crowded together around the entrances many were trampled by their friends, many fell among the still hot and smoking ruins of the colonnades and died as miserably as the defeated. As they neared the Sanctuary they pretended not even to hear Caesar's commands and urged the men in front to throw in more firebrands. The partisans were no longer in a position to help; everywhere was slaughter and flight. Most of the victims were peaceful citizens, weak and unarmed, butchered wherever they were caught. Round the Altar the heaps of corpses grew higher and higher, while down the Sanctuary steps poured a river of blood and the bodies of those killed at the top slithered to the bottom.
>>
File: Catapulta_by_Edward_Poynter.jpg (157 KB, 700x594) Image search: [Google]
Catapulta_by_Edward_Poynter.jpg
157 KB, 700x594
Josephus had acted as a mediator for the Romans and, when negotiations failed, witnessed the siege and aftermath. He wrote:

Now as soon as the army had no more people to slay or to plunder, because there remained none to be the objects of their fury (for they would not have spared any, had there remained any other work to be done), [Titus] Caesar gave orders that they should now demolish the entire city and Temple, but should leave as many of the towers standing as they were of the greatest eminence; that is, Phasaelus, and Hippicus, and Mariamne; and so much of the wall enclosed the city on the west side. This wall was spared, in order to afford a camp for such as were to lie in garrison [in the Upper City], as were the towers [the three forts] also spared, in order to demonstrate to posterity what kind of city it was, and how well fortified, which the Roman valor had subdued; but for all the rest of the wall [surrounding Jerusalem], it was so thoroughly laid even with the ground by those that dug it up to the foundation, that there was left nothing to make those that came thither believe it [Jerusalem] had ever been inhabited. This was the end which Jerusalem came to by the madness of those that were for innovations; a city otherwise of great magnificence, and of mighty fame among all mankind.

And truly, the very view itself was a melancholy thing; for those places which were adorned with trees and pleasant gardens, were now become desolate country every way, and its trees were all cut down. Nor could any foreigner that had formerly seen Judaea and the most beautiful suburbs of the city, and now saw it as a desert, but lament and mourn sadly at so great a change. For the war had laid all signs of beauty quite waste. Nor had anyone who had known the place before, had come on a sudden to it now, would he have known it again. But though he [a foreigner] were at the city itself, yet would he have inquired for it.
>>
>>1020430
Interesting.

You often see popular depictions of legions being mechanized war robots advancing steadily and slowly. But here they're just angry as fuck and charging
>>
Why did you make this thread again? You got a decent discussion out of it the first time, let it go.
>>
>>1020467
:^)
>>
File: jew.jpg (19 KB, 300x367) Image search: [Google]
jew.jpg
19 KB, 300x367
>believing Josephus
>>
>>1020425
>Over 1,1 million jews were massacred (including many foreigners because of Passover) and early 100,000 were ensalved.

HOL UP
>>
>>1020425
>jerusalem was a city of 1.2 million people
>>
Never forget the 6 gorillion pilgrims and innocent children burned in Jerusalem.
>>
>>1022276
?
>>
>>1022280
>>1022328
What is Passover?
>>
>>1020425
Jesus never existed, how can he prophecy anything?
>>
>>1022335
He made shit up. It's near impossible for all those people to even physically fit in Jerusalem, for some reason Jewish accounts always exaggerate numbers. That's not even a /pol/ meme, it's a fact.

>>1022338
>a million foreigners wanted to witness Jewish passover festivities

Yeah right. Lol.
>>
>>1022371
stale meme desu fampai

http://storage.cloversites.com/fcfgroups/documents/Why%20We%20Believe%207.pdf
>>
>>1022377
>for some reason Jewish accounts always exaggerate numbers.

Basically all classical accounts do that.
>>
Wether 1 million jews perished in 70AD or not, the fact remains that when the Romans got inside the city, they slaughtered every living thing, blew the Second Temple the fuck out and when they calmed down, enslaved the survivors.
>>
>>1022377

I'm not even sure foreigners were allowed to witness the passover festivities, I'm pretty sure they weren't allowed on the temple grounds, although I'm not 100% sure of that.
>>
The Second Temple was already deconsecrated by then. The Talmud reports that the temple miracles stopped occurring about 40 years before the destruction of Jerusalem. Was there anything going on at that time?

Also LMAOing at what happened when the Jews tried to build a third temple under Julian the Apostate.

What makes Jews incapable of learning from their own history?
>>
>>1022276
Josephus is factual except for the Jesus interpolation
>>
>>1020425
didn't john write that from a dream he had?
>>
>>1022384
It's not a meme, and it's not going away just because you post some questionable evidence at best.
>>
>>1022451
>interpolation

That's never been proven. Jo was probably just stating Christian beliefs from their point of view with an ironic tone knowing that his audience would likewise consider them too absurd to deserve proper derision.
>>
>>1022478
What about the James the brother of Jesus called the Christ passage, that's always been considered authentic, even though it's questionable too.
>>
File: 1400960441727.jpg (97 KB, 475x699) Image search: [Google]
1400960441727.jpg
97 KB, 475x699
>>1022443
>The Talmud reports that the temple miracles stopped occurring about 40 years before the destruction of Jerusalem
>>
>>1020425
But the Romans were the ones that killed him
>>
>>1022470
>that denial
>>
File: 1460778767532.jpg (520 KB, 2526x1750) Image search: [Google]
1460778767532.jpg
520 KB, 2526x1750
>>1022500
Jew wish.
>>
>>1022501
Whatever makes you happy, bro.
>>
File: 1459834381489.jpg (217 KB, 970x726) Image search: [Google]
1459834381489.jpg
217 KB, 970x726
>>1022515
I should actually be the one telling you this, friendo.
>>
>>1022522
Sure thing, kid, whatever you say.
>>
>>1022496
That's probably just a coincidence :^)

http://www.yashanet.com/library/temple/yoma39.htm
>>
File: 1.png (311 KB, 405x595) Image search: [Google]
1.png
311 KB, 405x595
>>1022534
>just a coincidence
>>
>>1022543
those eyes

why do they pry into my soul
>>
File: 2.png (147 KB, 597x243) Image search: [Google]
2.png
147 KB, 597x243
>>1022549
Because you haven't repented and if you think you have, it wasn't genuine.
>>
>>1020425

So God killed off 1 million people because a handful of Jews convinced the Roman rulers at the time to put his son to death which was needed to forgive everyone's sins anyway.
>>
>>1022571
People actually believe this stuff.
>>
>>1022571
Romans killed a million people because they got sick of their shit
>>
File: The Cross.jpg (127 KB, 1024x503) Image search: [Google]
The Cross.jpg
127 KB, 1024x503
>>1022571
>>1022585
>>
>>1022571
God Almighty got sick of their shit.
>>
>>1022571
>handful of Jews

Jesus was literally voted to death by the public.
>>
>>1022613
Why are you talking about this shit like it's real and not a metaphor for the Yom Kippur ritual.
>>
>>1022613
>Pilate took a vote on who to crucify

Inb4 Passover pardon: there is zero corroborating evidence any such thing ever existed.
>>
>>1022625
>that denial
>>
>>1022627
>>1022384
>>
>>1022627
>>1022625
Hey I didn't write the Bible. What's written is written, as they say.
>>
>>1022638
Are you Mexican?
>>
>>1022647
Why?
>>
>>1022639
And what's written isn't necessarily accurate, especially if the author has an agenda.
>>
>>1022652
Are you?
>>
>>1022656
I will answer if you tell me why you're asking.
>>
>>1022659

¿por qué estás esquivando la pregunta
>>
>>1022665
Porque la pregunta no hace algun sense.
>>
>>1022653
An agenda like hurting the precious feelings of the Jews? We can't have that, can we?
>>
>>1022682

se escribe como un Frijolero.
>>
>>1022695
An agenda like shifting the blame away from the Romans. Especially if you're trying to split away from other rebellious Jewish sects that recently got squished in their minds.
>>
>>1022705
Give me a break.
>>
>>1020425
No. Revelations has not finished yet. The beat is the european union and the whore is Europa. The heads and horns are the heads of state of UN.
>>
>>1022700
No comprendo. Escribe me in english and telle mi porque me ask if I'm mexicano.
>>
>>1022728
You're right, the notion is ridiculous. The Romans would never do anything to the nascent Christians, they would have no reason to try to get on the good side of those people.
>>
>>1022740
Jesus literally forgave everybody who crucified Him as they were doing it. There is no blame for anybody in the text itself. Saying the Pharisees dindu nuthin and trying to pin everything on the Romans is hilarious because THAT'S the kind of behavior that creates resentment against Jews. Like I said, it's like they can't learn from their own history.
>>
>>1022780

I can't even begin to comprehend the retardation that went into your post. It's wrong on every level.

Crucifixion was a Roman punishment, not a Jewish one. The Jews were still performing capital punishment of their own, so it's not like they couldn't have stoned him as a heretic.

If you even believe the Gospel account, or t was the priesthood, Sadducees, who wanted him nailed to a stick, not the Pharisees who had little presence in Jerusalem. And it's not like Jesus wrote the Gospels in any case.

Christards like you are cancer. Too caught up in your own bullshit to realize how much it stinks, something immediately obvious to literally everyone else around you.
>>
>>1022821
lol ease up there. You'll break your neck tipping so hard.
>>
>>1022831
>hat meme
You literally have nothing to argue with.
>>
>>1022821
>Crucifixion was a Roman punishment, not a Jewish one.
Gee, really? Didn't know that. That blows my mind. Can I have a source???

>The Jews were still illegally performing capital punishment of their own, so it's not like they couldn't have illegally stoned him as a heretic.
Fixed that for you.

>If you even believe the Gospel account, or t was the priesthood, Sadducees, who wanted him nailed to a stick, not the Pharisees who had little presence in Jerusalem.
Nitpicking.

>And it's not like Jesus wrote the Gospels in any case.
Again I'm going to need a source on that.

>Christards like you are cancer. Too caught up in your own bullshit to realize how much it stinks, something immediately obvious to literally everyone else around you.
Peace be with you.
>>
>>1022860

>Gee, really? Didn't know that. That blows my mind. Can I have a source???

Ordinarily, I would think this is sarcasm, but given how stupid the rest of your post and other posts are, this just might be serious, so I'm going to refer you to to wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion

>Fixed that for you.

You might want to read your Josephus. The Sanhedrin was conducting executions even in Jesus's alleged time.

>Nitpicking.

No, it's a pretty major point. DA JOOZ aren't exactly some monolithic entity. Using the same logic, I could easily say that Christians are all violent thugs who attack travelers for no reason. After all, the cricumcellions did it.

>Again I'm going to need a source on that.

Even the church admits it. They're in Greek. None of the manuscripts appear for close to 70 years after Jesus's supposed death. Literally nobody attributes the Gospels to Jesus.
>>
>>1022839
Have patience. I can't make much of a counterargument when your "argument" consists of nothing but petty personal insults, statements of facts which we both already know which are irrelevant to the matter at hand, hair splitting, and equivocation in the form of willful omission of relevant facts.
>>
>>1022885
Well, you missed two counts of sarcasm because of your arrogance. Is that supposed to be endearing?
>>
>>1022889
They weren't even my arguments.
>>
>>1022900
They weren't even arguments.
>>
>>1022889
As the guy you've been arguing with, you're aiming at the wrong anon. And while I do enjoy insulting idiots like you, let's not pretend I haven't made a cogent if not compelling argument: I've shown motive, means, and opportunity for alteration. And "willful omission of relevant facts?" Like the Sanhedrin's continued functioning, the dubiousness of the Passover pardon, the conflation of Barabbas and Jesus in the earliest Markan manuscripts? You're one to talk.
>>
>>1022898
And you missed all substance, on more than one post. Pity.
>>
>>1022921
Or the whole thing could have been made up.
>>
>>1022921
Matthew 5:22

Also your supposed arguments are nothing but a red herring. You overestimate your case.
>>
>>1022928
An inability to detect irony is a greater pity, because you'll miss both substance and joy.
>>
File: 1444087300759.jpg (9 KB, 209x233) Image search: [Google]
1444087300759.jpg
9 KB, 209x233
>>1022592
>worshiping the thing Jesus was killed on
>worshiping symbols rather than the almighty
>>
>>1022625
If you're going to use the bible to make an argument, you have to expect people to use the same fucking book to argue back.
>>
>>1022700
>>1022733
Estoy still waiting fampai.
>>
>>1022885
>taking sarcasm seriously
Is it autism?
>>
File: obnoxious protestants.png (477 KB, 940x566) Image search: [Google]
obnoxious protestants.png
477 KB, 940x566
>>1023017
>worshipping
>>
>>1023042
>worshiping
I don't get it. Everything listed in that epic meme is 100% blasphemy.

Just because you don't want it to be doesn't mean the bible didn't tell the Catholics not to do 90% of the shit they do.
>>
>>1023050
>playing dumb
>>
>>1023050
>idol worship
There's something called ART which has nothing to do with the worship of a golden calf.
>praying to mary
''And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women."
Luke 1:28
"And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.''
Luke 1:46-48

Therefore you clearly do not belong to God's generation but to Satan's.

>le pope
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popes#1st_century
>evil crusades
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_To-cV94Bo
>>
File: le catholic pedos maymay.png (99 KB, 628x489) Image search: [Google]
le catholic pedos maymay.png
99 KB, 628x489
>>1023050
>pedo priests
Friendly reminder:

>Sue Widemark A Penn State historian, Philip Jenkins, has done in-depth research of pedophilia and sexual abuse among the clergy and has come up with some rather eye opening facts (Pedophiles and Priests, Anatomy of a Crisis, Oxford University Press, 1996, Paperback edition, 2001). It seems that while .2 to 1.7 percent of Catholic clergy have been guilty of pedophilia (or sexual abuse particularly of boys, p. 80-82), a whopping 10 percent of Protestant ministers have been found guilty of sexual misconduct with a 2 or 3 percent pedophilia rate (p. 50-52).

>This is all the more interesting, notes Jenkins, since there has been NO media term "Pastor Pedophilia" coined at all! Jenkins theorizes that the media, proving the 'point' of the 'necessity' of sexual promiscuity, overemphasizes any instance of pedophilia found among the Catholic clergy since it can use this to criticize the entire idea of celibacy. But it is interesting that the NON Celibate Protestant ministers have a MUCH GREATER problem with it than the celibate Catholic priests!

>Jenkins' research was based on several highly respected studies and statistics. He points out that whereas sexual misconduct has always been a problem, among Catholic and non-Catholic clergy as well as among the general populace, what is new now is that the 'problem' of priest sexual abuse, constructed by the media as a result of a 'moral panic' occurring in the mid-1980's.

http://www.catholic-convert.com/wp-content/uploads/SexInProtestantChurches.pdf
>>
>>1023036
Just that everything else he said was so idiotic, I didn't think him capable of sarcasm.
>>
>>1023050
>>1023074
>>1023077
I won't even bother with the rest.
>>
>>1020425
>kill the Father's Son
Heretic
>>
>>1020425
Except the book of Revelations was written after 80 AD.

And Jesus Christ didn't prophecise that at all.
>>
>>1023078
An inability to recognize that the minds of others have agency because one is so enthralled with ones own intellect is characteristic of autism (which literally means self-ism), but is by no means definitively diagnostic. Howling "stupid" and "idiot" over a dozen 4chan posts in response to someone offering an opinion you disagree with might also be diagnostically significant, but not enough to seriously consider that you have autism, in my opinion, so rest easy.
>>
>>1023089
Jesus predicts the destruction of Jerusalem in the Olivet Discourse, doesn't He?
>>
>>1023133

And once again, you miss the point. Color me surprised. You have failed, over the course of several posts, to completely fail to address my argument, let alone to defend yours convincingly. I refer you back to posts >>1022728
>>1022780
>>1022831
>>1022860
>>1022932

It's not the Christian religious opinions I have issue with per se. It's your inability to even grasp the idea as to why Christians might wish to alter the record to portray Jews as the fundamental problem in the passion narrative, rather than the Romans. Instead, you offered the following non-arguments

1) Jesus forgave his oppressors
2) The text doesn't cast blame
3) It was really the Pharisees
4) It's blame shifting behavior like this that causes antisemitism
5) Jews cannot learn from their own history.
6) Jews were prohibited from execution.
7) Le fedora memery.
8) A threat of hellfire and religious admonition.

Not a single one of those points is relevant, since the early Christian texts were not composed by Jesus, they certainly did cast blame, especially Pauline followers, the own narrative pushed attributes chief role to the Sadducees (nonwithstanding its probable falsity), 2 claims that have nothing to do with the issue at hand, a demonstrably false claim shredded by even a cursory look at Antiquities, and then two more counts of further non-argumentation.

So yes, given that the response displayed no evidence of even understanding the issues being discussed, I thought it pretty reasonable to think that he wouldn't understand other common modes of communication.
>>
>>1023138
Given the history of the place that's about as much of a prediction as saying America is going to have a school shooting soon.
>>
>>1023162
I was trying to help you save face. Didn't mean to hit a nerve. Retype your posts again, though. Maybe they'll be right the third time.
>>
>>1023174

They were right the first time. It's something that is understood and well known by quite a few academics.

Go check up Appointment in Jerusalem (Max Dimont), Revolution in Judea ( Hyam Maccoby), anything by Peter Cresswell.
>>
>>1023196
Oooo you managed to make a post without resorting to a stream of ad hominems. Nice. You're improving!
>>
Reminder that the Romans didn't kill 1.1 million Jews as OP claimed. It was 6 million Jews.

THIS IS ACTUALLY WHAT JEWS BELIEVE.
>>
>>1023207

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Wrong again. An ad hominem attack is a fallacious argument that goes

>You have bad quality X
>Therefore, since you have bad quality X, your argument is wrong.

Without addressing the argument itself.

I have made an argument, namely that the passion narrative is non-credible likely altered in the Gospels by the early Christians, and given several reasons as to why, rebutting some feeble objections along the way.

I also called you an idiot, largely because it is a pretty damn good explanation for why you'd insist I haven't made an argument, or bolstered your "defense" with objectively false information or irrelevant tangents. You know what a good ad hominem in this chain of replies is? This post. >>1022831
>>
File: 7XYz9Fg.jpg (155 KB, 460x1130) Image search: [Google]
7XYz9Fg.jpg
155 KB, 460x1130
>Jerusalem destroyed in 70 AD
>This was prophesied by Revelations
>Revelations was written after 70 AD
>>
>>1023227
I'm sorry I offended you with the fedora comment. I meant it to be jocular rather than insulting. If it makes you feel better, I don't think you're an idiot at all, just wrong, but since you decided to take things personally about a 1/4 of the way through the thread, there's no point in engaging with you beyond letting you know that I love and respect you as a person and bear you no ill will, which is all I've been trying to do for a while now, so please forgive me if I haven't presented any further serious argumentation or elaboration upon points already made, as I doubt that would bear any fruit for you. May Jesus bless and keep you and speed you on your journey to truth. Peace. <3 ^_^
>>
>>1023086
explain
>>
>>1023169
>the destruction of the Second Temple less than 50 years after they killed Him as He predicted
>as much of a prediction as saying America is going to have a school shooting soon
e p i c
>>
>>1023242
Nice try.

http://www.bibleresearch.org/articles/a11pws.htm
>>
>>1023265

There are literally zero credible theologians who believe Revelations was written before 79 AD m8 and the question of who or what the Whore of Babylons is has been debated for millennium.
Stop thinking that you're such a special snowflake and that you figured everything out.
>>
>>1023224
weak bait
>>
>>1023269
Click the link you biblically illiterate dipshit, I'm not talking about Revelations.
>>
>>1023253

The fedora comment didn't offend me. The non-arguments offended me, and that was well before the fedora comment.. "Oh, it was the Jews" is just sloppy thinking, even from the point of view of a Christian apologist, what with the necessity of the crucifixion, the divisions in Judean society, and the rather active role the Romans took. It gets even less tenuous if you start casting doubts at the passion narrative.

It's the lack of serious argumentation that upset me. I for one consider this a board for such arguments; and if you have something serious you want to throw, I'd be interested in hearing it. But if you're going to treat this like a joke, I have no use for it, and yes, I'll hurl bile and quite a bit. People like that should be discouraged from this community.
>>
>>1023272

I dont understand? Jesus was pointing out that if the Jews weren't obedient the Romans would fuck them up hard Punic Wars style like every other native population that resisted their rule. The fact that they did revolt against the Roman pagans and that the Romans did what they have always done doesn't suggest much of anything.
>>
>>1023274
k
>>
>>1023283
>I dont understand?
Correct.
>>
>>1023313

k
>>
File: cringe.jpg (51 KB, 445x593) Image search: [Google]
cringe.jpg
51 KB, 445x593
>>1023078
>>1023162
>>1023196
>>1023227
>>1023274
>>
>>1023315
>copying a Christian poster's post
see filename >>1023319

Read the link dipshit or get yourself a Bible and read it with the goal in mind being to understand it.
>>
>>1023319

The fact that I've seen these exact same images while casually browsing /his/ tells me that it really is just one person doing all of this. I'm not sure how to feel about that.
>>
>>1023327
No, I'm the Catholic ''shroudposter'', the other anon is the ''Everything properly in the Bible...'' proddy.
>>
>>1023271
Sorry, the Talmud actually claimed 4 billion. My mistake.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.