[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong with Libya aftwr Gaddafi. I know there is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
What went wrong with Libya aftwr Gaddafi. I know there is the trubal devide but was there a way to stop it from escalating into another civil war. Could america or europe have done more to create a stable regime.know this is outside time limit but it is actual topic worth talking about.
>>
>>>/pol/

25 year rule faggot
>>
>>814437
There are so many worse threads than this and Pol doesn't know how to actually argue
>>
Not really. Libya more or less needed a foreign-chosen dictator at that point in time, but they wouldn't have taken one having just ousted Gaddafi.

The best solution would have been to force a ceasefire between both rebels and Gaddafi very early on and then told him to give the rebels more freedoms, threatening to take his Swiss bank account if he didn't comply. But French had too much of a hate-on for him and wanted him ousted because of the Gold Dinar.

That said, I think my proposal was attempted in Syria to some extent and has met failure too.
>>
File: Tripoli_Street_Misrata.jpg (278 KB, 1378x994) Image search: [Google]
Tripoli_Street_Misrata.jpg
278 KB, 1378x994
Always related.
>>
>>816993
M8 that's like taking a picture of colonial Zimbabwe and comparing it to the shitshow it is now

Rebels have no fucking clue how to run a country, that's the way it always is
>>
>>816993
I dont notice much of a differance desu
>>
>>814421
>dat pic
Libya Style
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0
>>
>>816996
That city was literally bombed, though.
>>
>>814421
>Could America have done anything.

no.
>>
>>816996
Zimbabwe is better for the majority than Rhodesia ever could be
>>
What do you think went wrong?
>>
I dont think this could have been avoided; France never like Gaddafi and they have had a 'leading hand' in African politics for the worse since the 50's.

Anyone remember the Central African Republic?
>>
>>814421
>What went wrong with Libya
>[after] Gaddafi.
That's exactly what went wrong.
>>
OK, OK. This might not be history, but since the thread is up I'll ask anyway.

Someone, please, explain to me the Benghazi incident? All I know is that Qaddafi ordered an attack on an American consulate or something and Hillary was somehow involved.

What the fuck actually happened? Why did he order the attack? What did Hillary do? Afaik he was very personal when it came to performing attacks on foreigners he had a quarry to settle with.
>>
>>814421

I'm still pretty gaddafi illiterate. I don't even know what the dude did wrong.
>>
>>819270
Very much this. Very much burn in hell this.
>>
>>814421
Gaddaffi is the classic case of DONT BURN WAY TOO MANY DIPLOMATIC BRIDGES.

You pull of shit like antagonizing Arabs, housing IRA, admitting to Terrorism, and boy, nobody would have your back when the shit hits the fan.

Look at Assad. Has buddies in Russia. He didn't exactly antagonize the West hence Obambam is hard pressed to rally support against him.

Gaddaffi deserved what happened to him.
>>
>>814421
>What went wrong with Libya aftwr Gaddafi.
The government was unable and unwilling to rein in the Militias. It could have easily been avoided but the US, France and the UK were too indecisive and non-commitant. They basically let Libya fall apart.

>was there a way to stop it from escalating into another civil war.
It's actually not that bad atm. Neither side is really commited to fighting the other and they are in peace talks (They have been for ages). There are local issues like Zintan vs Misrata militias and Tebu vs Tuareg but it's not like Syria where everyone fucking hates each other.

>Could america or europe have done more to create a stable regime.
Yes. It wouldn't have even been hard. All Hillary had to do was not fuck up too badly, but she fucked up.
>>
>>819298
>France never like Gaddafi
They did before Gaddafi tried selling oil in dinars instead of american dollars. That turned the entire world against him.
>>
>>819316
> Qaddafi
Benghazi happened after Gaddafi had been killed. The country soon enough descended into tribalism as rival militias who fought the government took control of their locales. Some islamist militia guy eventually attacked the American embassy and killed the ambassador for the lolz. It conveniently happened after some offensive video made the muslim world chimp out
>>
Either group COULD have done a lot more, but neither was WILLING. It was Obama's suspicion that Europe would be far more willing to follow through that led him ok'ing the removal in the first place, since he knew he sure as shit wasn't getting the American people behind him on it.

The tl;dr is,

>rebellion pops up to Daffy during Arab Spring
>Daffy wants to slaughter them
>France, UK, Italy, US say no and kill him
>interrim government set up
>nobody buys in
>sectarianism happens
>current state of affairs
>>
>>819298
He was a financial supporter of Sarkozy's campaign during his first run for president, he was invited to the elysee couple of years before shit hit the fan as well
>>
>>819545
well for hollande then it would have been convenient to remove a supporter of the center-right opposition
>>
File: 1457728328931.png (205 KB, 361x442) Image search: [Google]
1457728328931.png
205 KB, 361x442
>>819270
>It's either her or Trump
>American politics
>>
>>814421
British and French intervention mostly.
Britain spending 4 times more money bombing Libya than rebuilding it, and the French wanted more Libyan oil, there's a leaked email by Sarkozy to Clinton about this.
>>
The only way to prevent civil war after the fall of Qaddafi would have been to land there with ground troops and build their new country for them. Which would probably have been a terrible idea.

I guess we should have just let Qaddafi massacre the rebels and not intervened.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.