[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the Catholic Church in the medieval era as 'No fun allowed'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
Was the Catholic Church in the medieval era as 'No fun allowed' and dour as it's often portrayed as? Surely monks and priests didn't just depend on a community's piety to ensure their goodwill? What did the clergy contribute to a medieval community other than spiritual satisfaction and were they allowed to take part in and enjoy the various entertainments of the time?
>>
Priests were probably even less restrained than today.

Medieval era was "no fun allowed" on fast days, but Sunday was a day to party, as well as feast days in general.
>>
>>813214
What are you talking about? Back then they only had sex with consenting adults.
>>
>>813210
Read the Canterbury Tales friendo

The clergy were pretty much normal people looking to make a buck, the clergyman who followed the rules and was holy and pious and whatnot was rare
>>
File: Rug2.gif (35 KB, 200x246) Image search: [Google]
Rug2.gif
35 KB, 200x246
>>813578
>the Canterbury Tales is an accurate portrait of average medieval life
>>
>>813210
The church was the first real corporation; you didn't have to be from the nobility to join it(but it certainly helped at higher levels) and they provided services, usually to do with writing or educating others.
>>
>>813210
Nah, if you read stories from back then there were all kinds of feasts days where everyone got hammered.

During times like Holy Week or Lent I imagine it was no fun allowed tho
>>
>>813871
There were a lot of feast days and such. Medieval peasants had more time off of work than Americans do.
>>
>>813210

Some monasteries were pretty much no fun allowed but clergy was definitively not.
>>
I like how misogynist the clergy was, we need more of that today.
>>
>>813210
They church owned large landed estates m8
>>
>>813592
Why not?
>>
>>813210

This "fun" you speak of.....does it come with consequences?
>>
>>813210

Look up the stuff monks and nuns in England were getting up to in the run up to the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

Drinking, fighting and fucking, in huge quantities.
>>
>>813592

Average life? No, by the nature of the people 'telling' the stories.
A look into the medieval mind and world view? Most definitely.
>>
>>814024

For example

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieulacres_Abbey#Of_Marauding_Monks...
>>
>>814024

That was propaganda used to justify the dissolution. Even anglo historians acknowledge that.

Henry desperatly needed the money.
>>
>>813210
Judging alone from how many feasts and festivals were around back then, I'd say that they knew when to have fun
I'd wager it was like now, where you worked most of the week and let loose a little on Sundays
It isn't a sin to drink and party, so I doubt the clergy didn't partake
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.