[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what the hell does that even mean?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: gi.png (2 KB, 308x53) Image search: [Google]
gi.png
2 KB, 308x53
what the hell does that even mean?
>>
Sounds like a Pyrrhic victory.
>>
>>812897
another win for the eternal anglo
divid and conquer
>>
>>812897

It means the Aztecs held the field but were unable to do anything that would stop the Spanish from coming back with overwhelming force.
>>
>>812897
It's when you is winning the battle but losing the war
>>
>he doesn't know the difference between tactics and strategy

come on man
>>
I suppose that its from La Noche Triste.

Aztecs expell the Spaniards from their capital, buth they managed to retreat and weere able to came back time after.
>>
File: noche-triste-1.jpg (724 KB, 1304x950) Image search: [Google]
noche-triste-1.jpg
724 KB, 1304x950
la noche triste
>>
>>812897
without knowing the particular battle, it basically would mean the aztecs took the field or whatever other immediate objective, but at a cost that fucked them over later on.
>>
>>813778
Guess obsidian blades can't melt plate armor.
>>
>>812897

A tactical victory refers to success in a specific, localised battle/clash that usually occurs within a much, much smaller time-frame than the overall war.

A strategic victory refers to the bigger picture in the fight between the two sides. Very often a strategic victory entails one side achieving its overall long-term goals in a conflict.

To give an example, you might argue that the Germans won a tactical victory against the Soviets in the 1945 Battle of Bautzen. But there's no doubt that the Soviets won the overarching strategic victory on the Eastern Front within the space of a couple of months.
>>
>>815342

Pyrrhic victory?
>>
Large-scale, long-term goal = strategy

Completion of a tactical objective = tactical

There are three points needed to be captured.

Team A wants to capture point number 1, even if it costs them points number 2 and 3.

If Team A captures point number 1, they get a tactical victory, but Team B captures point number 2 and 3, which earns them a strategic victory.
>>
>>815376

This can indeed happen in the context of a Pyrrhic victory but a Pyrrhic victory isn't necessary for this scenario to happen.
>>
>>815423

I see. I'm making a false equivalency.

But the battle in OP was arguably a Pyrrhic victory for the aztecs right?
>>
>>815435

>But the battle in OP was arguably a Pyrrhic victory for the aztecs right?

I have no idea. Did the Aztecs pay a devastating toll to win OP's battle?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.