[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_W ukong Why is Asian myth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: Sun_Wukong_and_Jade_Rabbit.jpg (158 KB, 550x825) Image search: [Google]
Sun_Wukong_and_Jade_Rabbit.jpg
158 KB, 550x825
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Wukong

Why is Asian mythology so fucking weird? I'm inclined to agree with Hegel the more I read about Asian religion: it's all just lost in a sea of abstraction where the indeterminate universal is replaced by determinate quantities that fail to rise to the levels of sublime beauty attained in Western religion. This is probably because Westerners care more about religion than Easterners do, just as a consequence of monotheism.
>>
>The Roman and Greek pantheons weren't gods fucking with mortals and doing petty shit.
>>
>>799519
>sublime beauty attained in Western religion
Which is?

Please tell me. Last I heard the West is worshipping some Eastern God.
>>
>>799519
>This is probably because Westerners care more about religion than Easterners do, just as a consequence of monotheism.

That's why Europe is being kucked by Muslims right now?
>>
>>799549
>The Greek conception of piety is just like the Chinese conception of piety
>>799566
>Last I heard the West is worshipping some Eastern God.
It's inaccurate to call Christianity an Asian religion when the Gospel was written in Greek and most of its doctrines were finalized by Europeans.
>>799570
Because I'm talking about history in general and not the present moment. Do you think the author of Journey to the West cared about Sun Wukong and his factual existence as much as Aquinas cared about the factual existence of Jesus and the doctrine of literal presence?
>>
>>799585
Sure. Clearly Ancient Pre-Christian Europeans were nofunallowed Monotheists and merely adopted the Jewish God.
>>
>>799596
>Clearly Ancient Pre-Christian Europeans were nofunallowed Monotheists and merely adopted the Jewish God.
I'm clearly referring to Christianity and Judaism, you idiot. If you're actually going to be this dense, I'm not going to bother responding to you.
>>
File: Filipino Reaction.png (16 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
Filipino Reaction.png
16 KB, 429x410
>>799519
>>799585
You do know Journey to the West is a work of fiction based on syncretic Buddhist-Chinese mythology right?

It's like critcizing Christianity with Lord of the Rings.

That said
>sublime beauty attained in Western religion.
>let's burn this guy for questioning/perverting Christian doctrine
Ok.
>>
>>799519
Because Journey to the West was a story.
>>
>>799519
>"sublime beauty attained in Western religion"
Funny how East Asia did not have sectarian violence until they encountered Islamic and Christian religions. Meanwhile Europe drowned in how many religious wars? Yeap.

>B-But muh Christian persecution.
Persecuted on political grounds. As agents of foreign intruders.
>>
>>799519
>implying you and Hegel know shit about Asian literature and culture
>>
>>799626
>Funny how East Asia did not have sectarian violence until they encountered Islamic and Christian religions.
Ha. No.
>>
>>799626
>Persecuted on political grounds. As agents of foreign intruders.

Just Japan.

In China, Catholic Priests were welcome, especially those with technical skills like cannon-founding. One of the Ming Dynasty's last Empress was a Catholic. Catholics also pointed out that Confucianism and Christian Dogma did not clash.

Christianity fucked up in China during the Qing Dynasty, when the Dominicans and Franciscans came over. They looked at the syncretism Jesuits were doing and yelled OMG BLASPHEMY!!! While the Jesuits defended themselves saying "THIS IS THE ONLY WAY WE CAN CONVERT CHINKS." And started having fights in China which annoyed the Qing Emperor. The Dominicans and Franciscans then went tattling to the Pope, in which the pope wrote a letter -on ill advise- ordering the Chinese Emperor to boot the Jesuits out.
>Foreigner
>Ordering the Chinese Emperor
So the Qing Emperor booted out ALL the Catholics instead.
>>
>>799641
>Ha. No.
Name one.
>He'll name the Yellow Turban Rebellion- a political uprising
>He'll name the Five Pecks of Rice.- yet another political uprising
>He'll name the Buddhist Warrior Societies which are primarily self defense forces of monasteries deep in the wilderness.
>He'll name the Taiping Rebellion, thus validating my claim that East Asia did not have sectarian violence until encountering Islamic/Christian religions.
>>
>>799655
99% of "Wars of Religion" throughout history were little more than conventional geopolitical machinations you fedora tipping mong, religion was almost invariably an excuse after the fact to give justification to wars over land, resources, political expansion, blood feuds, etc.
>>
>>799687
>99% of "Wars of Religion" throughout history were little more than conventional geopolitical machinations you fedora tipping mong
Except in Europe/Middle East that coincided with ACTUAL beliefs of Holy Wars, or the evilness of people diverging from doctrine. By both its leaders and the footsoldiers.

>Fedora
Fagnostic actually. Maybe -just maybe- East Asians have a different conception of religion than the Abrahamic Western Eurasia? Surprising, I know, but its just a thought.
>>
>>799704
Not that Anon, but your fucking retarded to believe that Europe actually gave a shit about a Holy War. Thw Crusades were literally about trade to the Orient which was blocked by Muslims and the powers located there
>>
>>799687
>>799726
>Le Marxist "Religious Wars are Purely Practical und Realpolitik Guys!"

Explains why the richest men of Medieval Europe literally gambled their fucking wealth & status in the continent to follow a really shaky/unpredictable call to arms to go on a Crusade. Yeap, 0 religion involved here guys.

Also explains why they were so desperate to stay even through the hostility of the locale and the not so grand profits reaped economically by the Crusades given that the whole of the middle east was at war. Mm mm, realpolitik right there.
>Orient which was blocked by Muslims
This isn't the fucking Ottoman Empire. The Caliphates lived for trade n shit. Not to mention *what Muslims*? Seljuks just BTFO Islamdom and it balkanized through a hundred warring princedoms.
>>
>>799704
And that different conception is "It's just the Mandate of Heaven when we do it, but it's superstitious sectarianism when you do it" you oriental apologist, go back to hotglueing your poster of Empress Cixi

>>799746
>Marxist
Oh, so you actually don't know a single thing about history, got it.
>>
>>799746
>This isn't the fucking Ottoman Empire. The Caliphates lived for trade n shit. Not to mention *what Muslims*? Seljuks just BTFO Islamdom and it balkanized through a hundred warring princedoms.
WHAT IS THE FUCKING PERSIANS YOU HISTORICALLY ILLITERATE MONGOLOID

Mongoloid because only a Mongol would forget about the Khwarezmids that they stomped to oblivion, reopening unrestricted access to China.
>>
>>799585
No because polytheists arent mentally ill enough to take religion as more than allegory and metaphor
>>
Nietzsche BTFO Hegel how many decades ago now? Because its been a long time but apparently OP is really behind the times
>>
>>799767
he is saying that is the perspective of modern marxists in the present looking at the medieval period, not marxist observers in the medieval period
>>
>>799519
>Why is Asian mythology so fucking weird?
I'm assuming you're not Asian.
>>
>>799785
>WHAT IS THE FUCKING PERSIANS YOU HISTORICALLY ILLITERATE MONGOLOID
....who were in fucking Persia?

How does a recently arrived Khurasani Turkic Dynasty block the trade in the fucking Levant eh? Which was a bloody battleground between various Christian/Muslim Princelings.
>>
>>799767
>"It's just the Mandate of Heaven when we do it, but it's superstitious sectarianism when you do it"
>Mandate
>Religious dogma
Ok. Just saying that Tengrists, Buddhists, and even a fucking Christian claimed it.

It's a justification for rule based on VERY empirical grounds. Like "the ruler sucks at ruling" for instance. You can't claim it out of thin air (well, you can. But enjoy your imprisonment due to lack of supporters by calling out a dynasty that's ruling well).

I wasn't implying that LE WEST EURASIA IS SUPERSTITIOUS. I'm saying religion - dogmatic religion- is way too tied up with the societies in that region of the world. Wanna talk about superstition, fine, let's talk Feng Shui. But I'm pretty sure no one was burning people for perverting the dogma of, I dunno, the Jade Emperor. Jesus, we're talking of a people who believed on a highly decentralized religion.
>>799767
>Oh, so you actually don't know a single thing about history, got it.
Oh, so you actually don't know a single thing about historiography. Because you'd know that Marxism views historical events in a super-functional POV that everything was propelled by economic forces. And shit like religion- even for a pre-scientific people- matters not a whit.

Niiiice.
>>
File: Silk_route.jpg (2 MB, 2868x1866) Image search: [Google]
Silk_route.jpg
2 MB, 2868x1866
>>800001
Some guy said
To which you replied with nothing but retardation, as is your custom, which I subsequently refuted, and then you came in and backtracked and moved the goal posts.
>>
>>800139
Let's read my post shall we
>This isn't the fucking Ottoman Empire.
Translate: The time of the Crusades saw no monotonous Islamic state.
>The Caliphates lived for trade n shit.
Translation: "But back when the Caliphates were around, they didn't 'block' it either."
>Not to mention *what Muslims*? Seljuks just BTFO Islamdom and it balkanized through a hundred warring princedoms.
The situation of the middle east as of 1000's-1200's. How can "Islam block trade" when its busy being a mad-max free for all? Some would say they'd be fighting to dominate trade instead.

And then you replied "The Persians." Wow, out of the fucking blue. The Khwarezmian dynasty.
Who are far away from the actions of the Crusade. Quite far might I add. And not to mention newly come to the region.

If anything, the cunt that's messing up with the eastern trade are the likes of the Khitans, Eastern Turkics, and Mongols making the Silk Route shit...out in the Far East. But they weren't crusade targets now aren't they?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.