[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can it be fixed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 19
File: history.png (166 KB, 2000x1840) Image search: [Google]
history.png
166 KB, 2000x1840
Can it be fixed?
>>
After all the bullshit conspiracy theory and doomsday programs, I don't think so
>>
It's dead Jim.
One day I looked at their program, and they had 1 (one) show about history.
>>
>PAWN STARS
>ALIENS
>lumberjacks

its beyond saving
>>
>>7949
No, although in their defense there's only so many documentaries you can make about historical events before you're just repeating the same thing ad infinitum.
>>
Anybody remember the comfy American revolution and civil war shows they used to have in the morning?
>>
>>7949
Why would you fix it? Without the History channel no one would be able to decode the secret messages hidden by Nostradamus that predict the return of the ancient alien antichrist.
>>
It was already going to shit when it went through it's "Half of all documentaries should be WW2-related" phase
>>
It's too far gone
>>
No because they'd just show documentaries about Hitler's eating habits or sex life over and over again if they went back to history.
>>
If they actually started to lean back towards informative, historical programming they'd legitimately go bankrupt. Are there even any good cable channels (in north america) that show historical programming that isn't utterly retarded sensationalist shit?

>TONIGHT ON HISTORY, RIGHT AFTER AN ALL NEW 'INBRED CAJUNS MUMBLING AND CATCHING FISH'; HITLER'S MEGA METH-FUELED ARMY OF MUTANT GERMAN SHEPARDS

fuck
>>
>>8171
I always wondered why they didn't have more on WWI but it's because WWII was the first war to have an abundance of film. It's so much easier to create a program when 90% of the content is available to you
>>
>>7949
MORE PAWN STARS
>>
File: animugirl.jpg (56 KB, 487x486) Image search: [Google]
animugirl.jpg
56 KB, 487x486
Needs more WW2
>>
Posting some of the best of what's left of History Channel best times

Line of Fire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqtRqQSve88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH0TWEJavC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXh_UpPgID0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCyE9kW2yA
>>
>>8074
Right. Only 5,000 years worth of historical events to cover. Lack of content is surely the reason they're giving us this trash.
>>
At least its not like TLC
Pawn Stars and Ancient Aliens are at least vaguely related to history somewhat

TLC stands for the learning channel yet all they air is honey boo boo and shows about 700+ pound landwhales.
>>
>>8448
read
>>8336

It's cheap to create a documentary when you don't have to dramatize the conflict and can rely on readily available film
>>
History International or whatever used to be pretty based but I think they got rid of it. They're changing it to the VICE channel which is even more cancerous.
>>
>>8122
Liberty Kids?
>>
>>8499
History 2 and Military History are non-HD in my tv package but show the same stuff old-school His used to show
>>
>>7949
>>>/tv/
>>
File: civ war journ.jpg (27 KB, 217x300) Image search: [Google]
civ war journ.jpg
27 KB, 217x300
>>8529
one was called Civil War Journal but I don't remember what the Amer Revolution one was called
>>
>>8566
>history channel
>not /his/

we're not talking about any specific TV shows, so it's not really /TV/ is it?
>>
>the only remotely historical things are about ww2
>everything about ww2 is how hitler was the super devil and how america saved the day
>>
>>8453
>the learning channel
holy fuck this whole time i thought it was tender love and care, made more sense too
>>
>>8448
>Only 5,000
There's over 14 billion years of material. Why don't they start hosting some Cosmos-type series?
>>
>>8288
Smithsonian Channel is good, but last I saw they didn't have much programming. It has some really niche topics, like elephants that rape and murder other elephants, and the history of Rolls Royce in India
>>
>>8651
>not Time, Love, and Care
>>
>>8453
Wait, not The Living Channel?
>>
it sucks that jew cable will never allow pay by channel, the content would improve drastically
>>
>>8687
>a documentary about elephant on elephant crime
oh lordy
Do you know the title/youtube link?
>>
>>8207
If you ever watch this for entertainment its pretty funny. The theories are just so ridiculous their laughable.
>>
>>8046
This
>>
>>8529
Yeah this was goat. One of my best childhood memories
>nyc weekend trip with family
>times Square, toys r us, etc.
>shit load of reeses at hershies store
>Lotr two Towers gba game
>watching liberty kids at the hotel in the morning while packing and eating breakfast
>>
>>8947
The guy who presents it is fun to laugh at.
>>
>>8947
They fucked it up for anyone that believes in ancient astronauts.
>>
>tfw watched God Vs Satan
>awesome
>tfw marathon of shitty halloween shows

Fuck
>>
>>8336
>>8485
I always thought that it was because WW2 is so much more easier to glamorise than WW1

WW2 can be pretty easily whitewashed as "Allies good, Axis bad" because of the Holocaust/Pearl Harbour etc, which can't really be done for WW1
>>
>>8046
>>8207
Ancient Aliens actually shows some good stuff about some parts of history before they ruin it with 'are we tainted with otherworldly sperm?'. I'd rate it above Pawn Stars and Counting Cars.
>>
>>11669
>are we tainted with otherworldly sperm?
We are though.
>>
What were the best History Channel shows?
>>
>>12562
Line of Fire
Decisive Battles
>>
>>12562
Wild West Tech
Bible Battles
Histories mysteries
>>
No, network television is already a dumb idea in the age of the internet. But doubly so when your financial stability is based on appealing to the baser instincts of your viewers but your subject matter is more high brow. Hence why they just devolved into: Aliens and Hitler and Reality TV: The Channel. It just brought in more ratings, so what can you do?
>>
File: it's over.jpg (19 KB, 292x204) Image search: [Google]
it's over.jpg
19 KB, 292x204
It's lying in the same grave as Court TV
>>
It must be horrible living in a country without BBC 4
>>
>>8122
Hell yeah! They used to have shows detailing various aspects of the old west in the mornings and I would watch that stuff all the time on saturdays.

It's too far gone though. They're completely off their rockers and last time I tuned in (circa 2010) it was nothing but ancient AYY LMAOS and ice road truckers.

History repeats, as they say. Guess that means /his/ will be a reality TV show board in a couple years. But first it will go through a nazi germany 24/7 phase
>>
Right now H2 is literally talking about muh holocaust on a special about gold
>>
File: 1426283738263.gif (2 MB, 320x268) Image search: [Google]
1426283738263.gif
2 MB, 320x268
>Can't discover anything on Discovery
>It's all CRAB FISHERMAN
>Can't watch a boring documentary on Egypt on History channel
>It's all ALIENS
>Can't watch lions hump on Animal Planet
>It's all LOOK AT THIS HALF DEAD DOG: HOUSTON

I just want some boring educational TV. What's so wrong about that?
>>
>2008-2012
>Those shows about the end of the world
Lmfao
>>
>>11669
this

if you ignore the alien spin they put on things, it actually shows some neat archaeological stuff
>>
>>7949
It's not meant to be fixed anon. A part of the Cultural Marxism in America today is doing away with traditional history. They don't want anyone being too smart.
>>
File: 774687468468468.jpg (51 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
774687468468468.jpg
51 KB, 960x540
>>7949
Smithsonian channel airs more documentaries, even the fucking AFN airs more history-themed documentaries than the History channel
>>
>>14290
Smithsonian is a nice channel
>>
>tfw the history channel will never be the 24/7 WWII network ever again
>>
>>8365
That's fucking hentai you ITADEIKI sEIEKI
>>
>>14328
American Heroes Channel is basically that

not in HD though...
>>
>>7949
Its original documentaries were ambitious but idealistic and not very bold. It was mostly just safe history or even straight up bad history like their series about the presidents.
>>
>>11669
That is my favorite part about tinfoilshit honestly. Get exposed to some more obscure and lesser known moments of history and archeology. Throwing lizardmen in there just makes it entertaining.
>>
>>13977
> Animal Planet
> Surprisingly Human

Seriously fuck whoever was behind this shit. I wish I knew where they lived just so I could egg their house, smash their mailbox, and piss on their porch. I don't even care if they're on the other side of the country, I'll make a road trip out of it.
>>
>>8288
PBS. They have a diverse line up, so they can get away with it. But they have legit history stuff.

Does no one watch PBS with me anymore?
>>
>>13977
>implying you don't like crab fisherman
>>
File: hmm.jpg (32 KB, 640x409) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
32 KB, 640x409
>>11669

Ancient Aliens ridiculous and irredeemable meme-tier shuckery

It's pitiful than in an effort to give history mass-appeal, we seemingly have to ascribe it to some mysterious and unfounded entities/forces; we should be praising brave convictions of scientists in the face of damning ridicule, still a common theme in today's world

Instead of acknowledging and praising the genius of man, why are we always so eager to ascribe it to something imaginary, when we can instead glorify it to make it a desirable trait again?
>>
>>8171
Compared to now I miss those days.
>>
>>8046
This. It's tragic but History and History International (H2 now) are a total loss. No salvaging possible.

Maybe Military History has some hope, but I doubt it.
>>
>>14739
For like two episodes because I didn't know much about crab fishing.

Much more then that and it just turns into The Real Housewives of the Bering Sea
>>
>>7949
Fuck, they're doing what they did to the TLC, the learning channel, turning it into horseshit shows in a desperate attempt for viewers whilst losing both audiences.

I can't wait for honeybooboo to start rerunning on the history channel.
>>
File: we'recrabpeoplenow.png (214 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
we'recrabpeoplenow.png
214 KB, 500x281
>>14739
>>
>>14861
>TLC, the learning channel
>TLC: Life Unscripted
I'm tired of living.

I also remember when discovery heath would just air surgical procedures, like open heart surgeries, cataract surgery, and vasectomies.
>>
File: tesla-elon-musk-driving.jpg (23 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
tesla-elon-musk-driving.jpg
23 KB, 400x300
Elon the Excellent could buy it. He would serve history well.
>>
>>13977
It was even worse when the whole Ghost Hunter craze caught on. Every fucking channel had a ghost show.
>>
I actually like Pawn Stars. Its a nice way to introduce one to some general history and possibly get them interested in learning more about the topic. The problems are that the History Channel no longer has shows to actually teach people about those specifics and that ever fucking copycat of pawn stars has no idea why the History Channel put it on in the first place and just wants to make a sex pun.
>>
>>7949
TV is dead.
These days, you can find decent documentaries on YouTube and some forums where people actually know their history (/his/ not included).
>>
>>16859
Great documentaries are still made in the UK and will continue to be as long as the BBC still exists

Also jesus fuck finally the horrible colours are gone I can see /his/ in its true form
>>
File: Is it even possible.gif (3 MB, 480x271) Image search: [Google]
Is it even possible.gif
3 MB, 480x271
>>7949
Pic related except no.
>>
>>18483
Why wouldn't a wrestling pro be a reliable source for ancient civilizations?!
>>
>>15929
american pickers > pawn stars
>>
>>8783
I know in Latin America they changed it from the Learning Channel to the Living Channel once they saw that none of their programs were about learning but yeah it was always The Learning Channel
>>
>>7949
If people stop consuming their shit, yes. If not, it is not going to happen.

They are only selling what gives them the most revenue.
>>
>>18714
Yeah, the worst part of it is easily the hosts, it's mundane automotive facts from stuff no earlier than 1920, with occasional scripted, attempts at humor by 2 middle aged guys in a van.
>>
File: Ghost_hunters_site.jpg (11 KB, 449x305) Image search: [Google]
Ghost_hunters_site.jpg
11 KB, 449x305
>>15422
OH FUCK OH SHIT DID YOU HEAR THAT WHAT WAS THAT THERE'S SOMETHING GOING ON IN THIS ROOM I SAW A SHADOW AAAAAAAHHHHH SOMETHING TOUCHED MY SHOULDER I JUST FELT A COLD SPOTY I'M CRYING WHAT THE FUCK JUST MADE THAT NOISE

GUYS WHAT'S THIS VOICE HEAR THIS VOICE ON THE TAPE LISTEN TO THIS VOICE RIGHT HERE IT'S SAYING GET OUT GET OUT GET OOOOOUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT
>>
File: another good series ruined.png (363 KB, 452x710) Image search: [Google]
another good series ruined.png
363 KB, 452x710
>mfw they turned the military history channel into H2 so they could shove more of their reality and conspiracy shit on the air
>>
>>8453
When you define history as broadly as aliens and old guns, then seeing how far human stupidity goes can be learning
>>
>>13977
Discovery History
Good mix of stuff but i hope you like Time Team though, otherwise you're fucked
>>
File: yes it is.jpg (232 KB, 947x719) Image search: [Google]
yes it is.jpg
232 KB, 947x719
>>8207

Alien's a pretty cool guy. He fights historians and doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
meh
>>
>>8122
They have that now but general in this version Washington had help from the Cebu aliens.
>>
>>8814

I would only sub to *maybe* 20 channels.
>>
File: 1424199739366.jpg (22 KB, 349x388) Image search: [Google]
1424199739366.jpg
22 KB, 349x388
>>7949
How much money you got?
>>
>>12562

Modern Marvels
>>
With the rise of the internet it's inevitable that they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator who still watches tv.
>>
>>15069
>tfw that was the last time I watched discovery health in a while
>2012, I turn to it
>Hoarders and Strange Sex Lives
>>
File: Animal_Planet_original.png (154 KB, 741x1000) Image search: [Google]
Animal_Planet_original.png
154 KB, 741x1000
>tfw animal planet will NEVER, EVER be good again
>tfw no chimp haven, meerkat manor, etc.
I JUST WANT TO SEE THE FUCKING MEERKATS ONE MORE TIME

AT LEAST PLAY THE FUCKING RERUNS
>>
>>19425
Discovery Family has started to show reruns of it
>>
File: 1334153093039.gif (497 KB, 300x126) Image search: [Google]
1334153093039.gif
497 KB, 300x126
>grew up watching documentaries on Discovery and TLC back in the mid 90's
>tfw watching their empty husks shamble around like zombies along with their spinoff channels

It wasn't supposed to end this way. They were paradise in a sea of shit TV, only to eventually succumb to the same shit that made TV unwatchable in the first place. Even the fucking premium channels they shoved onto the higher tier cable plans to avoid filling up with that shit got filled with it eventually. Fuck everything.
>>
No, because all of those "learning" channels have basically been turned to mass dumb entertainment. Even Science Channel is the "watch stuff get made channel" now, just like History started to become "Modern Marvels: Dirt" in the 00s.
>>
>>7949

i watched some show "haunted history" earlier tonight on the history channel about some asylum in pennsylvania (pennbrook? something like that)

other than the annoying fact that there was a commercial break basically every 5 minutes, what was most offputting was how much they focused on the bullshit paranormal angle instead of talking about what *actually* went down there. probably 3/4 of the interviews were with ghost hunters/paranormal psychologists. even when they did talk to an ex-resident of the asylum all they talked about was vague shit about how bad it was there to support the "its haunted!" angle

i know the show is called "haunted history" so i shouldn't have expected much, but come on, they weren't even trying with this shit
>>
File: OUT FUCKING STANDING.jpg (20 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
OUT FUCKING STANDING.jpg
20 KB, 400x225
>ywn watch another episode of Mail Call
I'm not even a huge military fag but damn that show was interesting.
>>19425
Animal Planet died when Steve Irwin did. Much less gracefully too
>>
>>14387

I have it in HD. And it's what History was about 15 years ago, a lot of Hitler and Nazis. Though, I do like that they include some WWI every now and then for the centenary. But still, some of the best docs for stuff you want you can probably just get on YouTube.
>>
>>19751
Steve died doing what he loved, Animal Planet is just wallowing in it's own shit.
>>
>>19873

Remember when Discovery had this for prime time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYTPR5WeJs

Maybe it's nostalgia, but they were usually the quintessential animal and nature docs for me, since they'd use long takes and little dialogue when showcasing animals and their natural behaviors.
>>
>>19979
I watched Wild Discovery every goddamn night back in the 90's.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (14 KB, 530x411) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
14 KB, 530x411
>History Channel will never have this masterpiece on rerun ever again.
>I lost my collection after college.

Hold me.
>>
>>7949
no, and it's a perfect example of why capitalism is evil
>>
who /museumsecrets/ here?
>>
>>15069
>>I also remember when discovery heath would just air surgical procedures, like open heart surgeries, cataract surgery, and vasectomies.

I liked the trauma center shows, now they apparently only show them om Friday or something.

>>20533
The spinoff channels air it all the time.
>>
>>13977
Reality TV has killed both the History Channel and Sy-Fi channel.
>>
>>18923
>LISTEN TO THIS VOICE RIGHT HERE
>IT'S SAYING GET OUT GET OUT GET OOOOOUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT

They stumbled upon some dead robot's NEETcave.
>>
>>7949
No.

Nobody watched the history stuff anymore as sad as it was.

Either they changed or they died.
>>
>>19152
Engineering Disasters is a new programming remnant of MM, but they have only made a few episodes.

Too busy with bitchy rednecks acting like drama queens.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.