[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you the kind of person that would take up the mantel of doing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Iran_Missile_Launch_Wide[1].jpg (26 KB, 750x502) Image search: [Google]
Iran_Missile_Launch_Wide[1].jpg
26 KB, 750x502
Are you the kind of person that would take up the mantel of doing something very bad for a good cause? For example, could you push the button? I mean if it really came down to it, and no one else was going to because they were afraid of killing millions of people, could you bring yourself to do it?

I feel like the normal thing is to not push the button, I feel like I would be the guy who pushes the button because someone has to and I don't want that to be on anyone else. What kind of person are you anon?
>>
>>792724
>I take everything I know about nuclear warfare from movies and videogames
>>
>>792728
It's only an example anon. I can come up with another one if this one bothers you so much.
>>
File: DreddApocalypse.jpg (167 KB, 570x650) Image search: [Google]
DreddApocalypse.jpg
167 KB, 570x650
Yes.
MAD isn't worth anything if one side decides to just roll over and die.
>>
If you subscribe to certain theories the kind of person is Hitler.
>>
>>792740
I'm not talking about MAD anon. I'm talking about the sacrifice of the few for the many. I'm talking about destroying Brazil because the contagion that is spreading from South America can only be stopped if you nuke Brazil.

>>792742
What do you mean Anon?
>>
>>792754
Lets assume Hitler never had any real problems with anyone. Living through horrors of WW1 and having a justifiable dislike of imperialism, one if the great war's main causes. If one was to purposefully use its currently accepted ideas to push forward into power. Then use the opportunity to go farther with the ideas of European's being the highest race, and secretly killing a race consistently disliked throughout history along with other acceptable targets.
He could then commit more overt acts to soon be hated by major powers that started having less faith in imperialism.
Then ending as being considered one the most hated people in history, and effectively ending imperialism, and if it had gone perfectly wars in general.
Only a conspiracy I heard, its interesting to think about.
>>
>>792790
Well if that really was what he was going for, I don't think it was an acceptable trade. Especially since he had others who were innocent do the evil acts under him. It's an entirely different story if they were all in cahoots, but I doubt that very seriously.
>>
I'm the kind of man who blindly follows the principle of greater good, if need be, I'll press the button.
>>
>>792813
>trade. Especially since he had others who were innocent do the evil acts under him. It's an entirely different story if they were all in cahoots, but I doubt that very seriously.
It all depends, he could have seen it as ends justifying the means. I was already murdering people for the sake of a greater future.
It could also be the fact he had people who weren't so innocent used as well.
If you can trick someone evil to doing good, in that situation you probably would.
>>
>>792830
I think I would do it, but only if I was 100% certain it would work.
>>
>>792833
Exactly.
>>
>>792840
There's no way Hitler was 100% sure that it would work.
>>
>>792845
Certainty is subjective, you may have felt that it wouldn't 100 percent worked, but he might have. Theres no way to prove any of this though.
>>
>>792818
This
>>
Honestly, a true hero is not someone who lays down his own life for a cause. A true hero is willing to sacrifice a friend, a lover, a group of people to do the right thing.

Someone who sacrifices someone else has to deal with guilt, shame, and hatred for the rest of their life. They have to spend a lifetime being publicly hated, whereas someone who sacrifices themself only has to fade into nothingness.

I don't know if I'd be strong enough to sacrifice the ones I love for the right reasons.
>>
File: 1456827875842.jpg (57 KB, 466x411) Image search: [Google]
1456827875842.jpg
57 KB, 466x411
am i going to be able to finish my undergraduate in two years before the happening?
>>
>>792724
>doing something very bad for a good cause
This line of reasoning has never made much sense to me. Presumably if you don't do the "bad" thing then something even worse happens (otherwise why even consider it), which makes me question if the action is actually bad.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.