[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you reading primary sources? Don't you realize
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8
File: 1019.jpg (19 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
1019.jpg
19 KB, 400x399
Why aren't you reading primary sources? Don't you realize all history books are merely an interpretation?
>>
File: tcpraetorius.jpg (49 KB, 600x703) Image search: [Google]
tcpraetorius.jpg
49 KB, 600x703
>>788275

But i do.
>>
It's complicated. I recently read a book by some woman who read through 30,000 English court documents from the middle ages. I don't want to do that myself.
>>
>>788275
>primary sources
>implying you understand multiple classical or dead languages

Don't you realize translations are interpretations?
>>
File: 1019.jpg (35 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
1019.jpg
35 KB, 400x399
>>788303
Why aren't you learning classical languages?
>>
>>788319
Because I am not pretentious. Nor do I care for posterity among useless things.
>>
File: 1429302101683.png (354 KB, 583x525) Image search: [Google]
1429302101683.png
354 KB, 583x525
>>788328
>if you speak Latin, you're pretentious
>>
>>788319
because I don't need it, and it does not interest me.
>>
>>788340
Exactly. What other reason do you have for speaking a long dead language which no one but the churches understand?
>>
>>788275
Why are you reading primary sources? Don't you reallise that all communication is subject to interpretation?
>>
>>788345
Nigga Latin is far from useless. It is the core of every modern European language, it's widely used in law and medicine. If you speak Latin you can learn every other modern romance language with ease.
>>
File: Jorge_Luis_Borges_10837.jpg (711 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Jorge_Luis_Borges_10837.jpg
711 KB, 1920x1080
>>788303

Dont you realise a translation can also improve a work?
>>
>>788363
Kek. People still don't understand and never will be able to understand how it works entirely. You do not need to understand Latin in order to learn the languages based off of it, are you retarded? Let it die you cunts, so we can move on to other things. Really what use does propping up a dead language have? No one speaks it in converse with each other except to explicitly converse with one another in Latin, it has literally no use apart from naming things, names of which people don't even use.

>it's widely used in law and medicine
>implying this isn't a fucking problem for everyone out there who doesn't speak Latin, namely 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the modern population
>it's not pretentious!!
>>
>>788379
>Let it die you cunts, so we can move on to other things
That's not how things work, why the fuck should we let the language on which the entire Western civilization is based die? Are you retarded?
>>
File: Anno.gif (185 KB, 390x290) Image search: [Google]
Anno.gif
185 KB, 390x290
>>788396
>why the fuck should we let the language on which the entire Western civilization is based die?
Because it has no use in the modern world we live in, are you really that adamant in going round and round in circles? Kek, you're simply pretentious. For all we know what you have learnt isn't even Latin, how the hell can you say "Yeah let's learn Latin!" when the pronunciation isn't even fully understood?

It's pointless, it's on the level of the imperial system in America, gone to far to go back. I like how you divulge further and further into a butt blasted pretentious eejit.
>>
>>788406
>Because it has no use in the modern world we live in
Yes it does, just not the widespread use that it used to have. That doesn't mean we should just forget it.
>For all we know what you have learnt isn't even Latin, how the hell can you say "Yeah let's learn Latin!" when the pronunciation isn't even fully understood?
Except we can fully understand the pronunciation.
>It's pointless, it's on the level of the imperial system in America
Oh you're American, why do i even bother.
>>
>>788375
That's wrong if what you want is the authors intended meaning, you cannot translate without adding your own touch to it.
>>
>>788421
>Yes it does, just not the widespread use that it used to have. That doesn't mean we should just forget it.
Yes, yes it does. Without using google tell me the Latin name for the house cat, or dog. You can't.
>Yes it does
Feel free to enlighten me, what use does Latin have in our world. Actual use that is, not scientific naming which no one even uses.

>Except we can fully understand the pronunciation.
What? No you cannot. See pic related.

>Oh you're American, why do i even bother.
Nice projection, what more can I expect from someone talking out his ass? Let me guess, you are just being retarded on purpose?
>>
File: Latin.png (26 KB, 537x272) Image search: [Google]
Latin.png
26 KB, 537x272
>>788440
>See pic related.
>>
Why aren't you writing your own treatises? Don't you realize history is just a polemic shit flinging contest towards other historians?
>>
>>788422

Id encourage you to read borges yourself, but an abstract principle of mere fidelity alone is not the alpha and omega of translation; a translator who himself being possesed of great virtue can in turn render a work with greater virtue in the new mode of expression than it might have through the original.
>>
>>788275

>implying primary sources aren't someone's interpretation
>>
>>788275
Your reading of primary sources is also an interpretation.

Welcome to Hermeneutics
>>
>>788510
>a translator who himself being possesed of great virtue can in turn render a work with greater virtue in the new mode of expression than it might have through the original.

Who cares? That's not the original authors intention.
>>
>>788275
man, that picture makes me want to read lotr again, thanks OP
>>
>>788551
>authors intention.
I needed a laugh today.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.