[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Appreciation Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: Constantinople.jpg (194 KB, 992x748) Image search: [Google]
Constantinople.jpg
194 KB, 992x748
LET US APPRECIATE THE DIVINE NATION THAT HAD ALL STUNNED BY ITS GLORY. Byzantium is the greatest nation in medieval and late antique history, and will always be! Post wonders, brilliant rulers, and achievements that this empire had. BARBARIAN HATERS LEAVE
>>
>last a thousand years
>entire thousand years is a linear descent downward
>>
"Ancient Rome" = "Troy" = "Byzantium"
>>
>>787892
That's not even true. The byzantines were literally the most powerful naval super power in the Mediterranean until the last few centuries of their existence. They reconquered lost land dozens of times.
>>
>>787917

They would lose huge tracts of territory in just a few years, spend a century reconquering half of it, and then lose it again with extra.

The fact that they were powerful at first is meaningless because they were living off of the hand-me-downs from the Roman Empire.

Even emperors like Basil II who are viewed as phenomenal were actually incompetent. The conquest of Bulgaria was really the suppression of a rebelling province (Bulgaria had been conquered by Russians and ceded to Byzantium in 971). Basil II took 47 years to suppress a fucking rebellion.
>>
File: Zonaro_GatesofConst.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1525) Image search: [Google]
Zonaro_GatesofConst.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1525
>>
>>787959

The more I post on this shitty board the more infatuated I become with this picture.
>>
>>787983
It's difficult not to.
>>
>>788040

>that martial prowess of the Ottomans
>that not shamelessly adopting Byzantine language and culture but instead bringing in their own language and culture and developing something original
>that killing off of Byzantium so we can romanticize it in our hearts without having to observe its defects
>that massive empire that was bigger than Justinian's
>that long succession of sultans who led their armies in person and expanded upon the empire
>that Shakespearean tragedy of confronting modernity
>that brilliance of Ataturk, saving the best of Turkish civilization and once again building something new upon the ashes of the old
>that undying Turkish spirit

My dick is hard as diamonds and Byzaboos can suck it right now.
>>
>>787882
Bullshit. Cunts spending the wealth that Rome made on sand niggers and kikes.

#fuckrussia
>>
>>788056
>that martial prowess of the Ottomans
>that not shamelessly adopting Byzantine language and culture but instead bringing in their own language and culture and developing something original
>that killing off of Byzantium so we can romanticize it in our hearts without having to observe its defects
>that massive empire that was bigger than Justinian's
>that long succession of sultans who led their armies in person and expanded upon the empire
>that Shakespearean tragedy of confronting modernity
As a Muslim, I never understood /pol/ nationalism. "Why would you take pride in what your ancestors did? You weren't there."

But then I studied the martial history of the Muslims, and I realized that it's impossible for a man to not take pride in his civilization.

>that brilliance of Ataturk, saving the best of Turkish civilization and once again building something new upon the ashes of the old

You had me, up until there.
>>
>>788076

You're right, fuck Ataturk, dissolving the Ottoman Caliphate was the worst thing he could have done.

>yfw the Greek prime minister nominated Ataturk for a Nobel Peace Prize for dissolving the caliphate because the Greeks were that butthurt
>>
>>788067
What? You think the Roman empire saved enough money to fund building projects in Constantinople for centuries? Why didn't the countless corrupt or desperate Emperors not blow it all?
>>
>>788093

Not monetary wealth but they inherited a bunch of land and traditions that should have given them some idea on how to run an empire.
>>
>>788092
>>yfw the Greek prime minister nominated Ataturk for a Nobel Peace Prize for dissolving the caliphate because the Greeks were that butthurt
Oh god, that's pathetic in a funny way.

>Now we wait for Erdogan to give a Nobel Peace Prize to al-Baghdadi for fighting the Kurds
>>
File: Vis_vuldak_daar.jpg (62 KB, 499x468) Image search: [Google]
Vis_vuldak_daar.jpg
62 KB, 499x468
>>788093
>What? You think the Roman empire saved enough money to fund building projects in Constantinople for centuries? Why didn't the countless corrupt or desperate Emperors not blow it all?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.