[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you rather live as an average man in a modern 3rd world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 7
File: tmp616021250967339008.jpg (612 KB, 1230x830) Image search: [Google]
tmp616021250967339008.jpg
612 KB, 1230x830
Would you rather live as an average man in a modern 3rd world country or in the Ancient Rome, /his/?
>>
>Antonius, my son....
>>
Average man as in a citizen? During what period?
>>
>>784119
I would love to live in Rome prior to year 410, then open the gates for the Goths to avenge the slaughter of my Germanic Brethren by the civilians of Rome.
>>
>>784119
I did live in that time, I remember some of it. I visited Rome. It was generally dangerous for the commoners. Despite it being so, people were less dumbed down back then and purer in the spirit. Help could've been found everywhere and it was much healthier community.
I had the same role in every society for the past couple of thousands of years, so I can't relate to the life of some commoner, but nobody was really starving like in 3rd world countries today. Overpopulation wasn't such issue and you could've roam the Italy or Hispania for the entire day without seeing anyone else.

World was very dangerous though. Everywhere you went, you could've died easy enough either by the roaming packs of dogs, wild animals, savage barbarians, outcasts, bandits and so on. It was especially hard for women. Everybody ran towards the cities and organization was the key to survival. When winter came, a lot of people died even in that civilized time.
>>
>>784130
I read here on /his/ that 410 wasn't that bad
The goths admired Rome too much and stuff
>>
>>784125
A citizen. Plebs are the "average man" I guess. Before the decline, somewhere around 100-300 AD.
>>
>>784150
Think they besieged the city three times before storming it.
They mostly just wanted to get gold from the Romans, when the Romans refused to pay up they didn't have much else to do.
Their end goal was North Africa I think.
>>
File: 1448305374983.jpg (236 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1448305374983.jpg
236 KB, 1024x768
Designated!
Shitting!
Holes!
>>
>>784629
meant for >>784124
>>
I honestly don't give a fuck about Ancient Rome
>>
>>784119

Are we talking Latin American/East Asian tier third world or African/Indian-tier third world
>>
>>784119
Depends on the 3rd world shithole in question. Some actually don't have it too bad these days and even the avarage citizen might enjoy some of the benefits of modern science and technology. But obviously I'd rather be a lowly Roman citizen than a lowly North Korean subject, for instance.
>>
>>784119

Ancient Rome!

>tfw can't save up to buy a qt3.14 German slave girl and Phoenician sissy to defile

Maybe I'll convert to Islam.
>>
File: smug 2.png (54 KB, 300x442) Image search: [Google]
smug 2.png
54 KB, 300x442
>>784156
>before the decline
>100-300 AD
>>
>>784731
>I wanna be a roman so I can legally enslave and rape other human beings!
wow so edgy
>>
>>784746
>germans
>human
>>
>>784749
don't cut yourself
>>
>>784752
damn you really got your feelings hurt
>>
>>784754
Just tired of underaged fucks who think they're funny hot shit when laugh about what super awesome evil they'd do, oh if only they hadn't been born into a cushy 1st world country forever to be confined to mommy's basement

This on /his/ of all places, shouldn't you be on /b/?
>>
>>784757
>evil
applying modern sensibilities to things that were commonplace in the past is some top tier retardation son
shouldn't you be anywhere else where you don't chafe your feels too much, gott damn
>>
>>784156
between 100 AD and 200 AD 90% of the Roman population was essentially no different than peasant farmers of the feudal era, at least in the 3rd world I might be able to watch TV or something.
>>
>>784766
>it's not evil if everybody does it ;^)
Kill yourself
>>
>>784746

gb2 plebbit if you can't handle the depravity
>>
File: disgusted basileus.png (65 KB, 316x456) Image search: [Google]
disgusted basileus.png
65 KB, 316x456
>>784771
we don't do it today and people view it as evil, do you think people back then viewed it as evil when it happend all around them?
just fuck off you arse ravished faggot
>>
By definition, Sweden is a third world country - so I choose the first.
>>
>>784147
/x/ pls
>>
>>784775
Slavery and rape still happen plenty all around the world, and guess what, people regard them as evil anyway. You're just posing as some tough and edgy fuck because mommy's wealth isolates you from most evils of the world.
I'd love to see you come crying if it happened to you, you little shit.
>>
>>784784
>Slavery and rape still happen plenty all around the world, and guess what, people regard them as evil anyway.
in today's world maybe, why do you assume it was the same thousands of years ago?

>You're just posing as some tough and edgy fuck because mommy's wealth isolates you from most evils of the world.
shit man didn't know you were a private investigator
>>
>>784794
What's evil today was evil a thousand years ago, period. If you disagree you can just go kill yourself, relativist scum. Your mommy would cry if she saw what you're shitposting on the 4chinz.
>>
>>784794
You realize romans had laws about rape right?
You couldn't just go rape someone because "lol it's old days no one cares about violent crimes"
Clearly they saw rape as being wrong too, fucking dumb ass
>>
>>784799
>What's evil today was evil a thousand years ago, period. If you disagree you can just go kill yourself
I don't have a suitable reaction image to match the way I feel about this

many people today - the majority I'd assume - would believe gladiatorial games to be evil as they pit two equally desperate slaves against eachother in a fight to the death, but this was a past-time for people in ancient Rome
>>
>>784808
I was responding to the slavery bit for the most part, but rape could actually still be used as an example for why he's wrong
when an army sacked a city a thousand years ago and proceeded to unleash its pent up rage on the citizenry, especially the women who were brutally raped or enslaved, who cared? this was common
but look at shit like the Mai Lai massacre during the vietnam war in modern times and you'll notice the outrage people felt at what they view as an evil deed, war today being much different than it used to be

of course there'd be outrage back then if, without any pretense and in a civil setting, an individual in a society raped a female member of that society
>>
File: 3779149.jpg (127 KB, 1152x814) Image search: [Google]
3779149.jpg
127 KB, 1152x814
>>784810
Doesn't matter what the majority of people assumed back then or even today, gladiatorial games were evil, plain and simple. This has not changed and never will.
>>
>>784829
nice opinion lad
>>
>>784834
Get skullraped by a nigger and then come back and say there's no evil but only opinions
>>
>>784846
have you been skullraped by a nigger before?
>>
>>784847
Unlike you I don't need it to see self-evident truth
>>
>>784851
spooky
>>
>>784853
>babby's first serving of nihilist bullshit
Meme spouting Stirnerfags should all be lined up against a wall
>>
>>784775
>do you think people back then viewed it as evil when it happend all around them?
Yes? People just hoped it wouldn't happen to them but their enemies instead.
>>
>>784825
>when an army sacked a city a thousand years ago and proceeded to unleash its pent up rage on the citizenry, especially the women who were brutally raped or enslaved, who cared? this was common

Just because it was a common outcome doesn't mean people didn't care. No one ever went 'no need to be mad about all our townswomen getting raped and kidnapped, we lost after all!'
>>
>>784861
people hoped it would happen to other people but viewed it as evil?
were people all inherently evil thousands of years ago?
>>
>>784874
More or less yes
>>
>>784874
Hoping for the suffering and death of your enemies is common even today
>>
>>784859
edgy

>>784873
the people that lost would be pretty upset, no shit, you think the lowly pleb gave a single shit about a village in gaul getting demolished though?
different with the american public and the vietnam war, but you could argue that it was a "sitting room war" as most people do
>>
>>784876
another opinion
they obviously didn't view themselves as evil you fucking spastic
>>
>>784874
They hoped it would happen to others instead of themselves. Most would rather it never happened at all, but they had no illusions about it.
>>
>>784874
I've seen pictures and videos of US soliders doing 'evil' things
>>
>>784884
>they obviously didn't view themselves as evil
Doesn't matter
They still were
>>
>>784885
>hope it would happen to your enemies
>hope it wouldn't happen at all
which one is it?
if you're going to generalize then get your shit together when you do it
also source on
>Most would rather it never happened at all
>>
>>784880
>you think the lowly pleb gave a single shit about a village in gaul getting demolished though?
If said village shared something with him, like a border or some trade and family ties, or even a shared ethnic and religious identity, then yes.

Hundreds of thousands of lowly plebs marched thousands of miles to Jerusalem just because of stories about villagers in the Middle East getting rekt during the Crusades for example.
>>
>>784893
k

>>784896
>If said village shared something with him, like a border or some trade and family ties, or even a shared ethnic and religious identity, then yes.
pleb referring to some lad living in the subura of rome, again someone sharing ties with the people killed by the romans would quite obviously be upset also
>>
>>784895
You're changing my words. It's hoped it would happen to others INSTEAD of themselves, and would RATHER it never happen at all.

>also source on
>Most would rather it never happened at all
Christianity abhorred senseless violence against the innocent. Entire church policies were put into affect to try and minimize it throughout the Middle Ages.
>>
>>784907
>Christianity abhorred senseless violence against the innocent.
the "innocent" referring to their own flock though, correct?
other than that
fuck the saracens
fuck the baltic pagan peoples
fuck the heretics
they're all wrong and should convert or perish, deus vult
>>
>>784911
>fuck the saracens
le crusades were bad meme
>fuck the baltic pagan peoples
le teutons are all of christendom and their actions are the doctrines of christianity
>fuck the heretics
le heretics did nothing wrong maymay
>they're all wrong and should convert or perish, deus vult
le convert or die meme
Sorry you think pop history is real history
>>
>>784911
Every large cultural and religious group abhorred senseless violence among their own, and it only became a grey area and not a matter of moral certainty when they considered sympathizing with an outgroup.

Evil done to others was seen as punishment, but it doesn't mean they didn't care. More often than not it terrified them.
>>
>>784921
>le not all christians xd
no true scotsman

>le heretics did nothing wrong maymay
so people of different sects of your own deserve to die because they aren't innocent
the women and children aren't innocent because of what they believe in
your moral compass is fucked, senpai
>>
>>784928
>Evil done to others was seen as punishment, but it doesn't mean they didn't care.
you'd rather they convert than be punished, true
but if they staunchly refuse to convert and die for their faith, they brought it on themselves and aren't innocent

jesus died for this shite
>>
>>784936
>but if they staunchly refuse to convert and die for their faith, they brought it on themselves and aren't innocent
Pushing people to care more about converting them to save them.
>>
File: peaceful heretics.jpg (826 KB, 1024x799) Image search: [Google]
peaceful heretics.jpg
826 KB, 1024x799
>>784931
>no true scotsman
No it isn't actually
If the Teutons do something the Church is against that's going against the faith. And the Teutons were the only ones fucking around in the Baltics so it's hardly the fault of the Spaniards
>so people of different sects of your own deserve to die because they aren't innocent
When they start stirring up unrest it's not surprising when the kings of said countries actually start fucking suppressing them
What was done to innocent children is wrong, but the women weren't kept out of the trouble making
Go against the king and he fucks your shit up. Next time don't go trashing churches
>inb4 muh inquisition actually burned people alive
Inquisition killed exactly 0 people
It's job was to determine if someone was a heretic safely away from the mobs that would just kill them and give them a chance to confess and repent. If they didn't their fate was decided by the laws of whatever country they were in
>>
>>784943
>Pushing people to care more about converting them to save them.
I don't understand your meaning
>>
>>784949
The default response wasn't 'who cares about some heathens getting raped bro, lol' but 'those poor souls, we must save them.'

Sometimes this led to different sorts of evil acts in a misguided quest to do good, but the point is that people were not numb to senseless rapine just because it happened often.
>>
>>784961
>Sometimes this led to different sorts of evil acts in a misguided quest to do good,
that's almost always how it ends though

what of the people who refused to convert, I'll ask again?
despite all arguments, they still don't believe in your "truth"
do they deserve to die?
>>
>>784947
>determine if they were heretics
>oh, you're a heretic after all?
>dead
the people going against church dogma are all evil, right?
>>
>>784971
Usually it was agreed that they were better off subjugated, which was considered a lesser evil than being raped and slaughtered.
>>
This whole argument, at least at first boils down to evil being a societal construct.

To some societies and sects, slavery is not evil. And unless you can reach an objective truth on morality, you cant demonize a particular culture for their ideals.

Suffice to say, from our point of view, a lot of things people do/ have done are fucked up.
>>
>>784947
>When they start stirring up unrest it's not surprising when the kings of said countries actually start fucking suppressing them
>What was done to innocent children is wrong, but the women weren't kept out of the trouble making
>Go against the king and he fucks your shit up. Next time don't go trashing churches
this all assumes that they weren't being suppressed beforehand though, violent sectarian uprisings would have happend not spontaneously but because of years of oppression by the dominant sect, as happend in the north of Ireland during the troubles
>>
>>784982
would you rather die or live under tyrants that treat you like dirt because of what you believe in?
lesser evil my bollocks
>>
>>784119
Why do you idiots romanticize times/places like this?
>>
File: imperial roman signifer.jpg (51 KB, 402x604) Image search: [Google]
imperial roman signifer.jpg
51 KB, 402x604
>>784999
most of the history we learn of these times long gone consists of "the good parts"
people like the idea of fighting in a roman legion for whatever reason, but don't learn of how they had to shit in overcrowded latrines or out in the open, or of the long hours of spent on sentry duty which you'd be killed for falling asleep during despite how tired you were from marching miles upon miles the previous day

the answer to your question was in the question itself, it is romanticized to shit
>>
>>784999
It's called ROMANticize for a reason.
>>
>>784947
>Inquisition killed exactly 0 people
much in the same way that no one kills a prisoner who is sentenced to death by lethal injection.
>>
>>785009
>but don't learn of how they had to shit in overcrowded latrines or out in the open, or of the long hours of spent on sentry duty which you'd be killed for falling asleep during despite how tired you were from marching miles upon miles the previous day
hard societies breed hardened individuals though, you can't compare the effect of those situations on a modern person with the same effect on people who were brought up with that as part of normality
>>
>>784757

I agree with this but remember these edgy kids with Autism live a life of awkward lonely pain
>>
>>785038
I'm not talking about modern people though, they'd have preferred the barest luxuries provided by civilian life rather than the one they had in the legion
>>
>>785065
that fella had no arguments and kept spouting off his autistic theory of objective morality though
read the rest of the thread nigger
>>
>>785072
mean for>>785048
>>
>>785072

So what? At this time we have a common morality that deems that sort of behaviour as immoral. We want to live by a definition of morality which sees death sport as evil so we defend it and argue for it. Just because it isn't objective and imbedded in the fabric of space and time doesn't diminish it

We all have biological imperatives to survive and thrive we strongly that we should respect those imperatives
>>
>>785104
>At this time we have a common morality that deems that sort of behaviour as immoral.
"we" not meaning "we" in this case as the whole world doesn't adhere to it, just the west for the most part

his entire argument was based around there being an objective morality and yet you agreed with him
>>
I declare this thread ruined by moralfaggotry.

Do you people not know what website you are on? You don't have to agree with whatever offends you, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST IGNORE IT. Do you also browse /b/ and chastice people who say nigger?
>>
>>785118
No I just agreed with his sentiments on edgy kids
>>
>>785180
No I just agreed with his ad hominem on edgy kids*

ftfy
>>
>>785188

Tell me you noodle dick pizza faced manlet

What argument is there against the god given rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? And not god as the magic old man but god as in the universe
>>
>>785214
they weren't given to you at all and not all people are born "free"
>>
>>785223

These rights are intrinsic to being alive and conscious with each concept deriving from the latter

The pursuit of happiness from liberty liberty from life
And life from the universe

Enslavement of the body is not enslavement of the mind which we fundamentally are of and which cannot be enslaved because the mind is not a physical thing
>>
>>785261
what about all the mind break I wank to on sadpanda?
>>
>>784119
Anybody who says Rome knows very little about Rome
>>
>>785214
You lose all these rights as soon as you give them up. The governed consent to being governed, one way or another.
>>
>>785274

These rights have been endowed to all of us by God as in universe, did we give our consent to be ruled by the laws of nature or to being born?

These are not constitutional rights they are higher and fundamental
>>
>>784119

the thing i'm noticing about ancient rome, is that it looks like a modern italian or spanish city, except that instead of a duomo, you have classical temples.

>tfw you can't go back in time and introduce romans to football as an alternative to bloodsports
>tfw no derby between AFC Latium and AFC Roma, or a highly charged match between Inter Mediolanum and Juventus
>>
>>785274
I should have also mentioned that we are governed by laws not rights but rights are enforced by laws

We choose to recognise and honor these universal rights by passing laws to their respect
>>
The Nihilist cry baby has been scared of now
>>
>>785397

i'm scared of now.

i'm less scared of the not-now.

the now-to-come? indifferent
>>
>>785405
Autism.

>>785331
>>785346

What's your response to these arguments kiddo? And if you have no argument against then will you reject the moral relativist retardation?
>>
>>785331
Yes, but people often forsake these rights, even on accident.
>>
>>784757
I really would love to own slaves though, there is nothing edgy about it. Just an honest desire from the depths of my heart.
>>
>>784778
oh shit, finland too. i'll just stay here and imagine what it might be like in rome
>>
>>784810
>to be evil as they pit two equally desperate slaves against eachother in a fight to the death
except that didn't happen most of the time, since gladiators are expensive and even then, the crowd bailed them out most of the times.
>>
>>784911
>the "innocent" referring to their own flock though, correct?
Given that they outlawed gladiator matches in a still pagan empire, no.
>>
>>785909
the amount of times they did it hardly matters, the fact that it happend at all is the point

>>785931
what the fuck are you even trying to say?
I feel like your answer was to another argument entirely
>>
>>785397
real life has its demands as well my friend

>>785425
I haven't the time to discuss religious buttfuckery with you, your argument that
>These rights have been endowed to all of us by God as in universe
is a dead end and impossible to argue against
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.