[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were the Protestants so crazy about burning witches, compared
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 2
File: 8i.jpg (93 KB, 900x565) Image search: [Google]
8i.jpg
93 KB, 900x565
Why were the Protestants so crazy about burning witches, compared with Catholics who somewhat more restrained, and the Orthodox who didn't do it at all?
>>
>>782172
Witch burnings are just a meme, like the Spanish Inquisition being psychos who would randomly abduct people just to torture them.
>>
>>782172
Most orthodoxs were under ottoman rule in those times so I think that could be a reason why they didn't do it that much.
>>
Catholics didn't either

You were actually more like to get in trouble than the accused "witch"

The Inquisition was partially about rooting out superstition (belief in witchcraft implied paganism)

Anyone claiming to be a witch was punished the same way any liar would be: whipping or a fine
>>
>>782177
No, they were common

>>782179
What about Russia?
>>
>>782184
>No, they were common
Only among protestants
>>
>>782184
I wouldn't know much about that desu but I got the idea that the people in the balkans were more afraid of vampires than witches. I actually read somewhere that the ottoman judges actually didn't have an idea on what they should do about vampire sightings and just filed them in as witches.
>>
>>782209
There was a massive panic over vampires in early modern eastern europe

The Ottomons were like "wtf?" and the Austro-Hungarians had to keep the citizens from digging up and mutilating every corpse
>>
>>782172
Catholic inquisition was more worried about Heresy than Paganshit Madness.

Basically, they'd rather burn Protestants than some babbling medicine woman.
>>
Protestants emerged shaped by medieval german cultural traditions since thats where it incubated and spread among the rural folk. Superstitions on witches and elves were very strong and part of every day life despite what you might think.

The Catholic tradition has a learned clergy who dictated all manners which at the best of times meant they could accurate say Nope, youre fucking stupid thats not a witch.
>>
>>782231
I actually find things like this interesting like how people who are unaware of certain cultural aspects deal with them. I read one story where an ottoman judge went into te cemetery because a few balkan villagers said that they saw a earlier buried janissary walk agaiim in their village so the judge together with a few villagers dug up thw guy beheaded him, put a stake into his belly and reburried him. Its all pretty interesting how people act on such superstitions.
>>
>>782258
It's fascinating how one man's epic struggle with the forces of darkness is a another man's joke

I remember one scottish missionary who freaked out a bunch of africans by picking up and eating a banana left in the middle of the road. The locals thought it was some kind of evil fetish left by a witch. They all started crying because she was a really well liked missionary, they almost started worshiping her when she was fine. She was amused and annoyed.
>>
>>782172

Because the king James bible translated 'poisoner' to 'witch'.
>>
>>782345
Kek I guess it started with a rotting banana which someone ate and became ill off or something.
>>
>>782172
>>782177
>>782184
>>782191
WITCHES WERE NEVER BURNT, ONLY HANGED

BURNING IS FOR HERETICS ALONE
>>
>>782239
Inquisition burned exactly 0 people
>>
>>782516
Where do people get this idea that the Inquisitors were just rabid fanatics who took the bible literally and ejaculated from torture?
>>
Witch burnings were conducted by isolated communities. It has little to do with religion but just ignorant people doing ignorant things. People will believe anything when it comes to people they dislike, just take Obama as an example and the whole Marxist Muslim atheist reptilian shit.
>>
Because the Catholic Church, during the Christianization of Germanic Europe, tolerated a lot of pagan bullshit that survived in syncretism with Christianity. When the Protestant Reformation came to "purify" the faith, they decided to do away with such pagan remnants.

That's not something exclusive to Europe either, in Brazil, Catholicism has always lived well with Afro-Brazilian religions, there was also syncretism, Saint George, for example, was identified with the orisha Ogum, etc. But evangelicals don't tolerate this and they actively burn down Umbanda and Candomblé centers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Brazil#African_and_indigenous_religions

>Despite these religions have experienced much greater freedom since the decline of the influence of the Roman Catholic Church, they have come under an increasing hostility from Protestant churches, with attacks on temples and defacement of statues of the gods.

It's the same in South Korea, where Catholics are more open to Buddhist influence, while Protestants are opposed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Korea#Religious_conflict

>Fundamentalist Protestant antagonism against Buddhism has been a major issue for religious cooperation in South Korea, especially during the 1990s to late 2000s. Acts of vandalism against Buddhist amenities and "regular praying for the destruction of all Buddhist temples"

>In contrast, relations between South Korean Catholics and Buddhists and other faiths has remained largely cooperative, partly due to the syncretism of many Buddhist and Confucian customs and philosophies into South Korean Catholicism, most notably the practice of jesa.

Basically, Protestants are fundamentalist retarded not unlike ISIS.
>>
>>782172

What do you think should be done with women who kill babies, poison wells, burn crops, and consort with the devil?
>>
>>782566
Wow, it's almost as though Christianity and paganism don't mix, but Catholicism and paganism go hand-in-hand.
>>
>>782573
Let them pay off their student loans out of pocket
>>
>>782606
kek

We don't burn witches anymore not because of any fondness for witches, but due to the fact that we no longer believe witches exist.
>>
>>782566
Catholic Syncretism isn't so much "taking everything non Christian and randomly making it Christian" and is more "looking at native religion amd customs, looking for what's compatible with Catholic views, integrating the compatible and ignoring what's incompatible (at best, at worst activley teaching against it).

Korean Catholics do jesa because it is compatible with the Catholic practice of celebrating the Feast Days of Saints (sometimes the date of their death, sometimes their canonization, sometimes neither). It would usually be tweaked a bit but it's still the same practice.
>>
My question is whether or not witch burnings were ever, at any time, exclusively for women. Because that's obviously the sore spot for a lot of people.
>>
>>782575
Dipshit, Protestants despise everything Pagan wholesale because it's pagan. Catholics only despise pagan shit that is contrary to Christian doctrines.

Because unlike Protestants, Catholics can seperate cultural traditions from pagan theology and integrate them without turning everything into a boring as fuck suburban American WASP society.
>>
>>782544
The Black Legend
It was literally just Protestants making shit up about Catholicism to demonize countries like Spain and France so the people would be more willing to go to war with them and tolerate the Protestant kings actually being shit to Catholics in their countries
>>
>>782471
But by definition, virtually all witches were heretics.
>>
>>782575
Catholic tradition is rooted in the Greco-Roman notion of "Interpretario Romana" where pagans would identify pagan gods as their own.

Catholics see benevolent pagan deities as saints/angels and evil ones as demons.

This creates a tolerance for foreign religion.
>>
>>782638
No
>>
>>782667
Source now
A good source
>>
>>782638
In Salem an old man accused of witchcraft was crushed to death under a pile of large stones that was made gradually larger every time he refused to confess
>>
>>782667
>>782672
Second request for a good source.

Doubt you can find one.
>>
>>782672
Look up Interpretario Christiana or Dvoeverie

Saint Brigid is a good example
>>
>>782677
is this the play by Miller or the actual history. Sorry for my academic laziness.
>>
>>782686
>Look up
No
If you're going to assert something you need to provide the source to back it up.
>>
>>782677
Yes, but there were none of the witches in Salem were burned. They were all hanged.
>>
>>782692
>is this the play by Miller or the actual history.
Both
It's something that actually happened that Miller put in the play
>>782695
I never said they were
I was just answering the anon's question about male witches
>>
>>782694
We don't spoonfeed

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>782702
Your original post is discarded then
Until you provide a source I have no reason to believe it.
>>
>>782686
>Shared name of Celtic goddess
>HUR DUR REPURPOSED PAGANISM!

My mom's name is Diane. Was she named to be an avatar of the Roman moon goddess according to you?

Heck, I've seen arguments that St Brigid's "pagan goddess attributes" are postmortem addition.
>>
>>782715
Don't bother arguing
There's no point
I can only imagine what he must think of the fact that pagans practiced baptism
>>
Am I the only person ITT who actually believes witches should be killed? I mean what the fuck? The Bible clearly forbids witchcraft and commands us to deliver hefty punishment for it.
>>
>>782728
The people that were burned weren't witches
>>
>>782738
Well that's questionable when it comes to Salem as they didn't follow the Biblical doctrine of two independent witnesses to the letter during the trial, but talking about killing witches like it's something bad per se is pretty ridiculous.
>>
>>782707
I see you're an atheist
>>
>>782771
I'm not
I don't believe baseless assertions is all
>>
>>782773
Asserting that Catholic tradition has no syncretic elements is fedora tier

And refusing to google something in 10 seconds is further proof of atheistic willful ignorance
>>
>>782785
Nope
I've asserted absolutely nothing
You made the assertion with no source
I'm not obligated to prove your assertions for you. That's your job.
>>
>>782788
Non sequitur

This isn't reddit
>>
>>782800
>I can say whatever I want and if you ask for a source you're a redditard
No just fuck off
>>
>>782728
I see that you are a Protestant.

The Orthodox don't see the Church as a Sanhedrin, because the function of the judges was taken over by Christ ever since we lost the right by the Sanhedrin convicting Christ. The Church no longer has the right to judge, and in fact Christ tells us explicitly not to.
>>
>>782471
No witches were burnt, in England at least.

Other places, like Scotland, did hang them though. It was a lot cheaper.
>>
>>782383
Or they probably were far from their known land where there were no bananas and so weren't familiar with them.
>>
>>782359
It used to be the same back in the day.
>>
>>782811
Well, we CAN judge. But only to the extent of actions and what they do to the state of a soul.

Adulterous promiscuity is sinful. A man cheating on his wife can be (reasonably) judged to be in a state of grave sin, but he cannot be judged to live or die by earthly or heavenly accounts.
>>
>>782172
What the fuck are you even talking about?
The areas where witch hunts were most common were the catholic prince-bishoprics of Germany (Köln, Mainz, Trier, Würzburg, Bamberg).
>>
>>782575
>there's no difference between religious and cultural practices
>>
>>782926
nope
meme harder
>>
For the most part. There was a small group within Catholicism. Who were more laid back and scientific than Protestants. Many Catholic scientists had "witches" in their family. Who never got tried as witches because they'd use science to explain their love for herbs and miscellaneous weird stuff. The Catholic world hated Protestants because when they wanted something specific, they'd in turn create a new confession/denomination. It became like a new way to take down Catholic law. It detoured from their true origins. And historically they'd use the more gullible followers and Kings saw power in it. Power to control.

Here is an old legend within certain Christian communities. Jesus was an inventor.innovator of a scalpel. Besides being a carpenter, he'd use items reserved for the tabernacle as medicine. Aside from being a spiritual leader he was a healer. It is said he did not die at the cross because they, the romans he healed before, cut through the stomach, taking all water out. Water festers and any bread starts to ferment. Instead of giving him more water which would incubate bacteria they gave him vinegar; killing bacterial growth. When he came down legend has it, his followers, closed his wounds. Reviving him. The Jews compared the followers of Jesus to black magicians for their trade. However the Romans loved them. For a long time the Christians were a circle of progressive medicine. To the point many believed they were crazy.
>>
>>783278
>It is said he did not die at the cross because they, the romans he healed before, cut through the stomach, taking all water out. Water festers and any bread starts to ferment. Instead of giving him more water which would incubate bacteria they gave him vinegar; killing bacterial growth. When he came down legend has it, his followers, closed his wounds. Reviving him.
BS.

Crucifixion kills by asphyxiation.
>>
>>783278
The pharisees and sadducees besides making money from selling stuff, made more money from the death of people as their duties mostly were to take care of the dead. Herod made the initiative to become God and made orders to give the children their birth right, ceremony, which included circumcision, in large groups. This spread disease and death. But it was a way to save money. Jesus and a few others disobeyed, as Herod was not their king and they came from the teachings of another kingdom; social-separatists. Basically a true Christian does not believe in killing people and were often persecuted so they were not allowed to eat anything that ferments quickly, unless there was a ceremony.

Many speculate that the term Yahudi means a follower of Yahoshua, not a Judaism.

So killing to them is not an option.
>>
>>783332
There is more than one position of crucifixion. But if I keep giving you blood thinners, cut your stomach (stops that area from bloating, take out water which is doomed to ferment), keep cleaning your wounds with adhesive resin, you may have a chance especially if you watch your body pressure.
>>
>>783341
plus tying on pressure points.

just know that the romans made an initiative of killing all the zealots after that.
>>
>>782803
Not even him, but:

Who would you rather be?

The person who stands on his own feed, unafraid to research and if need be work to sustain your own life?

Or the little baby that wants everything handed out for free and its food masticated?

I mean, I even agree with you that that other Anon could have simply posted a source link, but damn. This site is for adults, you know?

I sincerely hope you don't speak to anyone other than your parents with that attitude. Cause they will always love you, Anon, the real world will not.
>>
>>782172
>Konrad, after receiving a commission from the Archbishop of Mainz,[3] also set to work seeking out heresy in both Thuringia and Hesse, and quickly gained a reputation for being unreasonable and unjust. According to most accounts, Konrad accepted almost any accusation as true, and regarded suspects as guilty until proven innocent.[4] Those accused of being heretics were quickly sought out by Konrad's mobs, and told to repent or else be burnt at the stake. Those accused of heresy were also encouraged to denounce others, with the implication that their own lives might be spared if they did so. Konrad included commoners, nobles and priests in his inquisition: Heinrich Minnike, Provost of Goslar, was one of Konrad's first targets, and was burnt at the stake. In 1227 Pope Gregory IX commissioned Konrad to eliminate heresy throughout the whole of Germany, granting him permission to ignore standard church procedure for the investigation of heresy. According to many sources, news that Konrad was to pass through an area almost invariably caused widespread panic.

In 1233, Konrad accused Henry II, Count of Sayn, of taking part in "satanic orgies". Henry, however, appealed to an assembly of bishops in Mainz and was declared innocent. Konrad refused to accept the decision and demanded that the verdict be reversed, but eventually left Mainz to return to Marburg. On the road, he was attacked by several knights, who killed both Konrad and his assistant, a Franciscan friar named Gerhard Lutzelkolb. The knights may or may not have been in the service of Henry.

After Konrad's death, Pope Gregory declared Konrad to have been an upholder of the Christian faith, and ordered his killers punished.
>>
>>783341
The Spear of Longinus pierced Jesus only AFTER he died. And what makes you think Roman soldiers carrying out the crucifixion would allow anyone to activley try to medically treat Jesus as he hanged dying?
>>
>>783400
the spear of longetivity yes. it pierced jesus. btw i've been wondering can you make gold hypodermic needles with a hairstrand and wax/resin?
>>
>>783400
because nobody knew that was how ignorant they were.
>>
>>783370
>OP states that catholics where comparatively more relaxed than protestants when it comes to whiches
>You post source material refering to 1227

I do not understand.
>>
>>783521
>>783527
What the fuck are you fags on about?
>>
>>782823
As in the Afrocentrism thread, in Tiv the word for Witch and Statesman are the same.
>>
>>783554
>I do not understand.
Does the dude sound restrained to you?
Does the Pope telling him to ignore procedure to eliminate heresy sound restrained?
>>
File: HITLER KITEN.jpg (158 KB, 1152x892) Image search: [Google]
HITLER KITEN.jpg
158 KB, 1152x892
>>782172
catholics were too busy burning protestants to go after witches
orthodox were too busy burning ikons to burn people, and then the mooslims distracted them.

<<<speaking of witches
>>
>>782573
>>782606
beautiful
>>
>>782606

You heartless bastard! :D
>>
>>782640
>using the word WASP
>not actually knowing what it means

Do you know that both currently and historically the WASPs have been overwhelmingly Anglican / Episcopal so really not of the BURN DA PAGAN folk? It's the Puritans who did that shit.
>>
>>782359

King james also had a 12 year old hanged because she gave him the evil eye. The hysteria he aided and abetted led to a craze of "witch prickers" who would accuse and convict anyone they could, in exchange for a fee. It was essentially for profit executions.
>>
>>782471
Witches were burned, as were sodomites.
>>
>>782359
Huh I guess that explains it, all those Germans, Bohemians and Swedes were just reading the KJV.
>>
A lot of it comes down to centralization, or lack thereof. Catholic countries tended to be more centralized around the time period. This is seen in sky rocketing committal rates when it was possible to appeal to higher courts outside of the community. You don't see witch crazes in Spain, Venice, or the Papal States because they had government structures and bureaucracies (governmental and Inquisitorial) that could stop that shit quickly. Witch crazes were huge in Germany, where little central power existed. The worst crazes in England occurred during the shit show that was the 17th century.

Brian Levack's The Witchhunt in Early Modern Europe goes over this pretty well
>>
>>785642

They were following Martin "kill the peasants" Luther.
>>
>>782575
Protestants are truly hopeless idiots. I thought it was just a meme
>>
>>785607
Puritans were overwhelmingly WASPS
>>
>>782575

obvious bait tbqh
>>
>>782811
Well no proper Sanhedrin convicted Christ the way the bible tells it.
The amount of laws broken seems to point to that.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.