[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the ethics of reparations? What can you illuminate about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: 1445686485548.jpg (99 KB, 595x596) Image search: [Google]
1445686485548.jpg
99 KB, 595x596
What are the ethics of reparations? What can you illuminate about privilege and the concept of owing something to descendants of people that were harmed?
>>
>>782040
It's a ridiculous concept pedaled by racial supremacists and pathological altruists.
>>
>>782040
Its valid between nations and living peoples; its not so valid with anyone else.
>>
>>782215
>>782149
Any academic arguments rather than your own feelings?
>>
>>782277
Contract theory and international relations, fag.
>>
>>782285
What?
>>
>>782040
The ethics are that YOU, the oppressor must post more pictures of that QT3.14 to right the wrong of not already having posted more pictures.
>>
File: 1389475467426.png (538 KB, 410x2048) Image search: [Google]
1389475467426.png
538 KB, 410x2048
>>783383
Agree
>>
Is this a serious thread, or is OP trolling? I can't seem to tell
>>
>>782040
The idea is that it would benefit society as a whole. If black people stop being a dysfunctional social group and start being productive, we might see some actual benefit to having them around, which will make everyone happier.
>>
>>783390
I used to be a hardcore subjectivist. It was just an easy way out of arguments, for me. I'm still cleaning the traces of it, from my mind.
>>
>>782040
doesnt matter because it wont work.
Gonna pay reparations to blacks? well first they must prove they are descended from slaves, and then you must decide how many of their ancestors need to have been slaves to make them eligible and how far back in history you will count. Also, the irish probably want some reparations too. and the chinese.
and dont get me started on the jews!
Actually, I want some reparations too! My people were once genocided a bit by the english, and thrown out of canada. Someone should pay for that!
>>
>>782040
everyone would be paying everyone else reparations, since no ethnic group wasn't not treated like shit at one point or another.
>>
>>783570
>black people doing well
>make everyone happier
nope lad
>>
But white people already paid for slavery. The ones who really need to give reparations are Nigerians, whose ancestors kidnapped the ancestors of African Americans
>>
If you gave black people reparations they'd just spend it all on stupid nigger shit
It wouldn't help beyond a new iPhone.
>>
>>782040
It is fair and reasonable to hold people accountable for their actions. Their OWN actions.
Everything else is just politics and personal agendas
>>
>>782040
>What are the ethics of reparations?
Vae victis.
>>
People who argue for reparations usually refer to how groups that have been affected en masse by a certain event will carry it through the generations as some sort of trauma, that will hinder its progress.
They claim that reparations will give this group a chance to do something about the "curse" they are carrying, that it will allow them to stop the bad circle they are caught in, as I gets it.
The bad thing with reparations who who that shall be payed and who that aren't. Must all white people pay? Will all dark people be payed? What about mutts?
Another problem is that it will probably antagonize the different races, as those who must pay will not like it. This would probably lead to hardships in making the groups to work together and the downfall of multiculturlaism and the relatively low amount of racism among white people today.

I am all for reparations btw.
>>
File: 1447588709081.jpg (28 KB, 314x320) Image search: [Google]
1447588709081.jpg
28 KB, 314x320
> muh veil of ignorance
>>
>>784444
Firstly nice digits
So if blacks can pressurise the government or whites into gimme dats it's justified.
>>
I find it puzzling African-americans complain about slave trade as an unfortunate event. It was unfortunate for your ancestors but not for you: without it you would probably not exist, because your ancestors would have died a long time ago (life expectancy among african-americans has always been a lot higher thana mong africans. Millions died in the slave trade but let's not forget many more died (and are still dying) because they remained in Africa. You personally are better off as descendant of a slave than of someone who was not enslaved (or was enslaved by an African master).

Every European was a slave at one point. The Greeks took slaves from the eastern europe. Romans took slaves from France, Spain, etc. I suspect there is no “nation” in the world that was not enslaved at one point. My ancestors were also slaves at some point. Where is the difference? The difference is your ancestors were enslaved by the country that would become the most powerful in the world. Mine were enslaved by the decaying Roman empire and today I am a lot less powerful, free and rich than you. What are the odds that one of my race becomes the most powerful person in the world? Close to zero. What are the odds an African-american becomes the most powerful person in the world? Well.

Slavery was pervasive in all civilizations. We were all slaves at one point. You can't say "my race was not lucky". No race was lucky. To the rest of the world, African-Americans are the lucky ones. Millions of people from the rest of the world want to be "enslaved" by the USA (migrate to the USA). If you go to any USA embassy in Africa, you will see the long long long line of people camping on the sidewalk, waiting to get in an apply for a visa to the very country where their ancestors were NOT deported. You, on the other hand, and millions of African-Americans, never dreamed of applying for a visa to relocate back to Africa. History is funny sometimes.
>>
>>782040
oh voy i hope you are paying the irish and the chinese as well
>>
>>784720
Is that why there's antagonism between african immigrants and african-americans?
>>
>>782040
The problem with reparations is defining who gets what

If the immediate descendants of a victimized people are now dead, reparations cannot be implemented effectively
>>
>>784471
Most sane people don't try and argue the "trauma" angle. They generally go for the "economic hindered" as in they have been handicapped and need money to catch up.

Personally I don't agree with reparations so long as equal opportunity exist, which it does for the most part when you talk about domestically.

At the end of the day a fundamental law of a modern society is not to punish the son for the fathers sins, and making descendants pay for something their ancestors did is exactly that.
ie in the states we don't make blacks pay a tax solely for the fact a lot of them have parents or grandparents who have committed crime (compared to whites), but we make white pay for something their great grandfather did that wasn't even a crime at the time. Retroactive punishment is a dangerous game to get into.
>>
Honestly I feel like reparations are complete bullshit because none of us have any control into the lives we are born with.

Plus my ancestors had zero to do with the slave trade, so why the fuck should I have to pay for it?
>>
>>786676
African: "I need to work like hell to get out of my shithole of a country and bring my family to a land of opportunity and safety."
African-American: "Fuck whitey, fuck da police, #blacklivesmatter, gibsmedat welfare, rap music, gang culture, you uncle tom house nigga, we wuz kangs n shiet"

Gee I wonder where the antagonism could spring up from
>>
>>783390
To be fair, the maestros argument is weak as fuck.
"More technical" isn't a very good measure of quality, and "masterful" means as much as "amazing". An opinion based off opinion is not a valid opinion.
>>
>>786713
Oh I also forgot the racialization aspect of Africans themselves. African-Americans' concept of race is "black versus white" so they have that faggy "muh heritage" cultural appropriation thing going on the same way white people do with Ireland or Italy or whathaveyou, except worse because basically none of them know where they're from because slavery records like that were generally not kept. Africans themselves are a much more nuances and diverse series of peoples and cultures; a Ghanaian is different from a Nigerian is different from a Congolese, but there are also entirely, radically separate ethnic groups within Africa; a Bantu is entirely different from a Cushite is entirely different from a Khoisan, and let's not get into Malagassy.
>>
>>786738
Seems complicated.
>>
File: critic.jpg (22 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
critic.jpg
22 KB, 300x279
>>786753
It is, which is why simplistic race-baiters should be laughed out of existence instead of being praised for sanctimonious bullshit.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.