[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Orthodox Christianity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 6
File: 45rt5.jpg (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
45rt5.jpg
35 KB, 640x480
The Orthodox Church
The Church Founded by Our Lord and God Jesus Christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8r5r4R2yuE

Orthodox FAQ's and reading list: http://pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x
>>
>>781024
>jesus
>Messiah
pick 1

>jesus
>god
Pick 1

>jesus
>son of God
Pick 1
>>
>>781034
Love
>>
File: 14ky369.jpg (65 KB, 710x830) Image search: [Google]
14ky369.jpg
65 KB, 710x830
Can anyone recommend me some Orthodox black metal?
>>
>>781024
Now I see why my brothers wanted to remove those animals out of our land. You people keep lying about the true religion and mock Israel's true people!
>>
>>781045
http://deathtotheworld.com/
>>
>>781024
>That video
As a North American Protestant it's so weird to hear an Arabic song worshiping Christ. Nice to know that Islam hasn't completely taken over those places yet.
>>
>>781077
Ironically, Palestinian Christians probably feel more solidarity with Muslims than with Protestants, seeing as how the latter gives so much support to Israel.
>>
You are not an Orthodox Christian, browsing wikipedia articles and listening to Orthodox black metal does not make you part of a religious and cultural group.
>>
>>781132
>Orthodox black metal
That's a meme, you know that, right? Based on monastic robes? There is no such thing as Orthodox black metal.
>>
>>781024
Still transitioning to a woman, faggot?
>>
>>781114
Why the hell would they do that? Christians are much safer in a Jewish state than a Muslim one.
>>
>>781152
Palestinians are master manipulators. "Oh, we're Christians, but we pray to Allah."
>>
>>781152
Because Jews evicted Palestinians from their homes and bulldozed them to make way for Jewish settlements.
>>
>>781166
Nice /pol/ meme
>>
>>781024
Back to the thread, I've ordered 50 books about catechism and church teachings, ayy lmao.

Including Romanides and Staniloae
>>
>>781207
>50 books
Why?? You gonna actually read them all?

t. someone who hardly reads
>>
>>781171
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27883685
>>
>>781159
Germanics are master manipulators, "Oh, we're Christians who worship Deus, but we pray to God."
>>
>>781024
I'm not Christan but Orthodoxy seems to have passed the test of time.

Look at the Catholic Church. She'll go to bed with every new ideology that comes along. What's that, Fascism is on the rise? We're fascists now! Oh, they were defeated and the new trend is liberal? Oh we'll show you who's liberal now! If Communism had won she already had Liberation Theology as a backup plan.

What's worst of all is the hypocrisy of the Pope, cardinals et al, twisting the words of the bible and of former Popes to suit the ideology of the day, and everybody pretending to believe nothing changed. Hey guys, it's the same Church! 2000 years eh? It's sickening, really. Catholics think that everyon else either stupid or a hypocrite like themselves and can't see what's happening, when in rerality anyone can see and justs cringes at the mendacity and whoredom of the Catholic Church.

I kind of have a morbid curiosity to see what the Catholic Church would do if Europe converted to Islam. I can imagine they calling a new Ecumenical Council:

GLORIA PROPHETAE MAHOMETI (Glory of the Prophet Muhammad); yes, there's no God but Allah and Jesus was just a prophet, that's what we always taught! 2500 years, the same Church right guys?

Fuck, truly fuck papists man.
>>
>>781280
Orthodox akathist service https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeRXbLAIPcU

Orthodox and Catholic compared https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtbnaXuGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxcOv4zPoVo

Roman Catholic hymn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o

Orthodox hymn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs

Roman Catholic hymn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD-iMC6LZF8

Orthodox hymn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
>>
File: koh_184.jpg (49 KB, 264x400) Image search: [Google]
koh_184.jpg
49 KB, 264x400
> 18 posts
> 8 posters

I'm sorry you have to witness this, Constantine. You're a good person and have guided many to Christ.

It's lent and we should all get away from 4chan, perhaps permanently. I think we've gotten as much out of this site as we can. It's only diminishing returns now.
>>
>>781240
>BBC
>Brutally Biased Channel
>Not doing everything to make Muslims all look like innocent saints
>>
>>781280
> Look at the Catholic Church. She'll go to bed with every new ideology that comes along.
How this is different from like Orthodoxes under Communists?
>>
>>781280
>An eternal God has time tests.
>>
>>781280
>Fuck, truly fuck papists man.

Very much this. Insert pic of pope kissing quran here _________.
>>
>>781299
Communism sought to destroy the Orthodox Church, I think they had a right to be a bit worried.

Would also like to point out to everyone that it doesn't really matter what political ideology the church supports. Jesus never made any great political claims, he was focused on religious ones (as far as I am aware, at least). So when people say 'Ohh Jesus was a communist!!11!', that's not true.
>>
>>781290
It's about Christians, bruh
>>
>>781289
>It's lent

So, the Orthodox church DOES do the Babylonian rites and rituals that the pagans do.

Orthodox v Popery is a false choice.

Neither church can save people; membership in neither gets one into heaven.
>>
>>781322
>Jesus never made any great political claims

"I am the King you say I am" is a pretty direct political claim.
>>
>>781330
resentment
>>
>>781299
The Orthodox Church never endorsed communism. The economic policy endorsed by the Church is the Orthodox Financial System
>>
>>781334
The King Jesus is cannot be conflated with earthly rulers (whom we are supposed obey unless it conflicts directly with our faith, see Romans 13), or a worldly ruler (the prince of the world is Satan, Christ is the prince of peace). Satan offered to make Christ ruler of the world, but Christ declined.
>>
>>781299
Like I said I couldn't give a shit about christfaggotry, but as far as I know the Orthodox Church was shut down and Stalin recreated it and put hand-picked shills in charge. It's not like they went over to Stalin willing to spread their legs and change every dogma they ever believed in. And another difference is this, one thing is to be coerced, like in a dictatorial regime, to act in some way; quite another to willingly, by your own initiative, change your entire belief system to try to stay relevant and follow the fleeting opinions of the masses.
>>
>>781330
It's not lent yet. Pascha (called Easter in the West) is May 1st this year for the Orthodox. Lent starts on March 14th.
>>
>>781365
The people in charge were Orthodox monks. The Bolsheviks killed or imprisoned about 90% of the Orthodox bishops, and the rest went into hiding, but when the Church was allowed again under Stalin (to help soldiers cope with WWII), the bishops were still in the same line, still picked by monks. The Orthodox Church didn't change ideologically, still the same Church, I don't know what people expected, that they should call form rebellion against the government? They didn't do that when they were persecuted by Rome. Now what China demands the Orthodox Church do, let the government choose all the clergy, is of course out of the question, which is why all the Orthodox Churches there are underground or at embassies.
>>
>>781369
lel, google is Catholic propaganda

Thank you for correcting me.
>>
>>781336
Nonsense. If I thought either church led to salvation, I'd join the one with the better claim.

Since I know membership in either is meaningless in and of itself, I feel drawn by the Spirit to neither.
>>
>>781394
you spend all your time on a computer getting mad on the internet
>>
>>781364

Jesus did decline to rule over the broken and decaying earth.

Jesus will not decline to rule over the renewed and refreshed earth, and that with a rod of iron. He remains King of Kings, and Lord of Lords, an imminently political office for which He is uniquely suited.
>>
>>781369
I don't keep up with the magical rites and rituals of people who follow the Babylonians into hell, but thanks for the info, I guess.
>>
>>781396
I spend time I am not otherwise engaged at my job shooting down lies, and promoting the truth, yes. It's my way to redeem these evil days.
>>
>>781401
Lent commemorates Christ's 40 day fast
>>
You can't choose to be orthodox. it's a cultural thing. If you ain't russian, greek, or serb then stick to your own denomination pls.
>>
>>781471
Wrong. The Orthodox Church is the very Church founded by Christ, which he said is for all nations. All other Churches are false.
>>
>>781471
I'm Coptic. We don't intermarry mostly because of the pressure of maintaining the Orthodox religion and culture, but there's nothing wrong with converts or going to another denomination. It's all Orthodox.

I'd feel way more comfortable in a Ukrainian Orthodox church than some weirdo Protestant/Baptist church where they'd all be like "so why did you leave Islam?"
>>
>>781034
Jew right?
>>
>>781450
Let's explore that for a second. You say that Lent has something to do with Jesus.

Jesus was baptized, His ministry started, and was sent to the wilderness for 40 days to be tested of the devil. After the temptation, He was taken care of by angels, and began His work here on earth. He would die about 3 1/2 years later, and rise on the third day.

And yet in the Babylonian pagan system, Semiramis' son died, she fasted for 40 days, her son "came back to life", and they rejoiced together.

So a follower of Semiramis would wear ashes on their heads to mourn the death of Tammuz, they would fast for 40 days following that day, as Tammuz was still dead, and then on the 40th day, Ishtar, they would celebrate the resurrection of Tammuz.

Ashes on head.
40 day fast.
Resurrection of the dead son.

Which system did you say you followed again?
>>
>>781476
>All other Churches are false.

See? Cult.
>>
File: image.jpg (190 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
190 KB, 960x540
>>781045
But the Sedlec Ossuary is Catholic.
>>
>>781286
>No Protestant hymns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puHIPTHpIZo
>>
>>781494
The reason the fast is placed directly before Easter is because long fasts have to have significance feasts to conclude them. We also have a forty day fast before Christmas (and unlike lent, which is six weeks, the Nativity Fast is exactly 40 days).
>>
>>781542
The reason it is placed before Easter is to celebrate the return of the Queen of Heaven's son, Tammuz, to her, Semiramis.

Catholics are Babylonian pagans.

You also keep Saturnalia as "Christ's Mass", even though it is ludicrous to think that Jesus was born on December 25.
>>
>>781542
And, of course, lent being the most strenuous fast, and probably the really long term one, it concludes with Easter, the most important feast there is (Christmas wasn't even a feast until hundreds of years later).
>>
>>781549
>The reason it is placed before Easter is to celebrate the return of the Queen of Heaven's son, Tammuz, to her, Semiramis.
I don't believe that. You will have to show some sort of academic source.

>You also keep Saturnalia as "Christ's Mass", even though it is ludicrous to think that Jesus was born on December 25.
But it's not. Scroll down and read "Part 5" of this
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2014/12/on-day-of-birth-of-our-savior-jesus.html
>>
>>781476

yeshua never founded any church.

>>781488

>it's all orthodox

What?
>>
>>781550
Strenuous.

kek

What are the numbers of people who don't eat anything for 40 days in your cult?

>Ooooh, I'm giving up Godiva truffles for Lent. Pray for me!
>>
>>781556
>What?
The only difference between Oriental and Eastern was a dispute over whether Christ had two natures or one nature. And a few years ago that was settled when we found out that Oriental use nature to mean something like hypostasis, which of course Eastern agree there is only one hypostasis known as Jesus Christ. The whole problem was just a difference of how our theologians had used the term "nature"

>Theologians of the early Christian period differed in the usage of this term. In Antiochene circles, it connoted the humanity or divinity of Christ conceived as a concrete set of characteristics or attributes. In Alexandrine thinking, it meant a concrete individual or independent existent and approximated to hypostasis without being a synonym.[7]
>>
>>781561
We don't eat nothing because that might kill some people, especially those who are in poorer health. But we do refrain from oils, wines and other alcohol, dairy, meat and fish, as well as sexual intercourse and merrymaking.
>>
>>781553
"Since John was born on Passover, the 15th day of Nisan (the 1st Jewish month), Jesus would have been born six months later on the 15th day of Tishri (the 7th Jewish month). The 15th day of the 7th month begins the Feast of Tabernacles (Lev. 23:34-35), also known as Sukkot. Jesus was born on the 1st day of the Feast of Tabernacles! In the year 5 BCE, this fell in the month of September."

"It is probable, because of the circumstances shown in Luke 1, that Mary conceived during the last two weeks of Elizabeth's sixth month. Thus, John was born in the spring of 4 BC, probably between March 18 and 31. By projecting forward another six months to Jesus' birth, the most probable time for His birth occurred between September 16 and 29."

"From the 15th day of Nisan (John's birthday), we add six months to arrive at the 15th day of the 7th month, Tishri--the first day of the festival of Sukkot."
>>
>>781573
Shame.
>>
>>781045
Does anything like exist? Would be truly ebin.
>>
>>781575
>six months

Who are you quoting?
>>
>>781476
>which he said is for all nations.
He did not say that. He also said "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel". You do not only go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel, which is contradictory to what Jesus said to do. (Matthew 10:5-6)
>>
>>781655
Who are the lost sheep?
>>
>>781655
Mark 16:15
>>
>>781671
I would say all Israelites, given James in his first epistle for example addressed it to "the twelve tribes scattered abroad".
>>781678
Does that mean to preach the gospel to animals?
>>
>>781553
Alexander Hislop's "Two Babylons" suffices.
>>
>>781621
The bible. Mary was preggers, and Elizabeth was in her sixth month with JTB.
>>
>>781825
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Two_Babylons

The Two Babylons, subtitled The Papal Worship Proved to Be the Worship of Nimrod and His Wife is a religious pamphlet published in 1853 by the Presbyterian Free Church of Scotland theologian Alexander Hislop (1807–65), expanded in 1858, and finally published as a book in 1919. Its central theme is its allegation that the Catholic Church is a veiled continuation of the pagan religion of Babylon, a product of a millennia-old conspiracy.[1]

Hislop ultimately traces Catholic doctrines back to the worship of Nimrod, claiming that the Roman Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon in the Bible Book of Revelation 17:5, and that "the Pope himself is truly and properly the lineal representative of Belshazzar". He claims that the Christogram IHS really stands for Isis, Horus, Seth.

Scholar Lester L. Grabbe has highlighted the picture presented by Hislop, that Nimrod is equated with Ninus is based on a misunderstanding of historical Babylon and its religion, however his book remains popular among some fundamentalist Protestant Christians[1] and among Jehovah's Witnesses, with The Watchtower frequently publishing excerpts from Hislop until the 1980s.[2]

The book's thesis has also featured prominently in the conspiracy theories of racist groups such as The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord[3] and other conspiracy theorists.[4]

Although extensively footnoted, some commentators (in particular Ralph Woodrow) have stated that there are numerous misconceptions, fabrications and grave factual errors in the document.[5]

Your source is about as credible as the Protocols
>>
>>781814
>Does that mean to preach the gospel to animals?
It means all nations (Matthew 28:19). The Greek term is interchangeable with "all creation".
>>
>>781843
>It means all nations (Matthew 28:19).
The Greek for that verse says all the Nations, not all Nations. Would "all Nations" not be a contradiction to "only the lost sheep of the house of Israel"?
>>
>>781837
Gee, my source is exactly what I said it was, and some papists hate on it.

Gee, I wonder why.
>>
>>781959
Right, all the nations (goy), not all the peoples (am). See: http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith9285

The injunction about the lost sheep is *before* Christ's Resurrection, not after. Before the Gospel can be preached to all nations, the Jewish priesthood must reject Christ.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (110 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
110 KB, 1280x720
>>781024
did any of you ever watched this movie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PAhbcy8mP4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwCJoEJFW5g

I saw it on the big screen this week, and it was easily one of the most moving movies I've ever seen.

Not even orthodox, or christian by that matter, but I thought about asking here.
>>
>>781974
>Everyone who disagrees with me is a papist!

If you think modern scholars are on board with the catholic church your delusional.

But of course we already knew that about you.
>>
>>781024
Can someone, without bias towards Catholicism or orthodox, just break it down to me retard style what the Orthodox church actually believes?
>>
>>781024
Why do people believe in this shit?
>>
>>781985
>Right, all the nations (goy),
Jesus spoke in Greek. He said all the "Ethnos". "Gentile" is not a word in the Greek.

> Before the Gospel can be preached to all nations, the Jewish priesthood must reject Christ.
Why would it ever matter if Canaanites pretending to be Israelites rejected Christ? Jesus said He was not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

John 20:21 (after the Resurrection): "Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you."

As He was sent: "not, but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel".
>>
>>782030
>Jesus spoke in Greek
No he spoke Aramaic, except when in the synagogues (where he spoke Hebrew)
>>
>>781024
Are Copts usually considered orthodox or is it considered to be a competely unique branch?
>>
>>781024
Just got out of my first inquirer's class. Cried a little bit on the way back to campus. First tears of joy in my life.

God bless you all.
>>
>>781152
Israel hates Christian Palestinians as much as it hates Muslim ones.
>>
>>781471
Phylite leave

T. Convert from atheism
>>
File: 1433657151962 (2).png (112 KB, 2032x864) Image search: [Google]
1433657151962 (2).png
112 KB, 2032x864
>>
>>781024
Did you know that all these drawings of Jesus are based from a document that is considered a forgery that described Jesus?
>>
>>783307
Are you talking about the whole White Jesus being based off the Pope's bastard son, or something else?
>>
>>783042
They are oriental Orthodox. They split from standard orthodoxy over different interpretations of Jesus nature, but as an anon mentioned earlier it was just a misunderstanding. Armenian, Syriac, ethiopian, Eritrean and indian Orthodox are also oriental iirc
>>
>>784090
Interesting info, thanks mate.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.