[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is reality? What are we doing here? Is it the Supreme Brute
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: images (1).jpg (15 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
15 KB, 229x220
What is reality? What are we doing here? Is it the Supreme Brute Fact, or just a quantum queef that shouldn't have happened? If so, then how am "I" here? Why should my consciousness have even arisen in the first place, what ties to me all this?
>>
>>/x/
>>
>>776825
It's philosophy numb nuts
>>
>>776821
Where does consciousness arise?
>>
Read Louis Lavelle
>>
>>776858
No English translations of his magnum opus on Amazon :(
>>
It's because your mom was a dirty sloot
>>
>>776866
>mataphysics in english language
Don't even begin.
>>
I don't think that consciousness is anything more than our brains being complex enough to be aware of some our sub-routines and sensory input..
>>
>>776890
Except that doesn't explain why brains should have the ability to do so in the first place.

Do people really think this actually has explanatory power?
>>
>>776890
Wishful thinking.
>>
>>776901

I don't understand how 'should' comes into it in the first place.
>>
>>776914
If there's no should then you're admitting rational consciousness can spontaneously develop out of absolute chaos, ie irrationality, which is ridiculous.
>>
>>776924

There is no reason to believe chaos is the opposite of claiming agency.
>>
>>776953
What determines the universe is either irrational, rational, or non rational - in that it subsumes both
>>
>>776821
>quantum queef

Mental invalids describe existence thusly. What a fucking idiotic notion that is. It's the kind of stuff you hear from a middle schooler who huffs glue. We, homo sapien, the contemplative self-aware hominid, have delved into this question and the answer is self-evident, from our most vaulted philosophies pertaining to consciousness, the highest reason we have attained to; Life is a on-going evolutionary process towards sublime complexity-elegance, and behind physicality is an ecology of spirits, souls, or non-material forces. The life behind life.

The unevolved (unconscious) human cannot comprehend nor percieve this.
>>
>>777022
PROOF? EVIDENCE? PROOF?
>>
>>777034
If you had a fully functional brain, you'd realize you yourself are the proof. It's self-evident. You're a fish asking another fish for proof of water.

As the greeks once said, "gnouthi seauton."
>>
>>777051
I agree with you 100% m8 I'm just making fun of those autists you're talking about
>>
>>777015
>What determines the universe

Let me rush to this centre ground you have conceded that determinism is correct.

> either irrational, rational, or non rational - in that it subsumes both

There is no dichotomy between rationalism and not assuming agency.
>>
>>777071
I have not conceded anything. Determined = what makes something how it is

Rationalism does not presume agency but agency presumes rationality
>>
>>777022
If spirits are the "life behind life" then does this mean that the spirit doesn't exist when one dies?
>>
>>779437
No.
>>
>>779576
Then what's stopping this meta-life from unendingly supplying life if it can't be destroyed?
>>
>>776821

There are no answers to any of these questions. Don't listen to anyone who says he has an answer, he's trying to sell you something. Your entire life, from beginning to end, is it's own reason.
>>
>>776901
If conciousness is an adaptive mechanism, there should be inherent tradeoffs associated with it and flaws from its developmental history. If conciousness is a magic produce of the universe, we shouldn't see all these biology-based flaws.

We do see the biology based flaws. So yes, there is explanatory power, much more than magic dualism.
>>
>>777051
proof can never come from our sense alone. It is not trustworthy
>>
>>776924
Really? How do you know you're not a Boltzmann Brain?
>>
>>779804
>the universe is engineered to produce it =/= it must be perfect

That's a leap, friend. Idk why fedoras think the other side is talking magic and fairy dust just because we're not dead inside dweebs like them
>>
>>777022
You are so eloquent senpai!
>>
>>776821
Read Sein und Zeit.
>>
>>780250
>just because we're not dead inside dweebs like them
I don't know why theistfags think all atheists are like this just because they were shitty atheists once
>>
>>780250
>the universe is engineered to produce it =/= it must be perfect
So what do you mean by "engineered"? If "brought into existence through normal evolutionary means" then why is one particular adaptation more important than another? Why not say the point of the universe is to create octopus eyes, the marvel of engineering that they are?
>>
>>776821
>what is reality
That which persists without belief in it.
>what are we doing here?
Other than simple biological functions? Whatever we want. (terrifying idea, freedom)
>What ties me to all this?
The Universe is one thing. For clarity and utility we refer to seemingly discreet phenomena as parts of that whole. Bu tthat's weird and twisted. You are the Universe aware of itself.
>>
>>776890
From an engineering point of view, the human brain is a receiver, not a computer.
People who keep referring to the brain or the mind as a computers are doing them a great injustice.
>>
>>780280
What is doing the "calculations?"
>>
>>780270
Why would I arbitrarily draw lines around one marvel of biological engineering over another, instead of the whole phenomenon of life? Also Idk why the universe must display an overt intentionality for my argument to be right, since we can just as easily imagine evolution as the impersonal mechanism by which life is engineered according to its pre-determined ruleset
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.