[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was Germany called "Germany" and not Prussia when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7
File: 1871_map.jpg (394 KB, 1337x978) Image search: [Google]
1871_map.jpg
394 KB, 1337x978
Why was Germany called "Germany" and not Prussia when lots of Germans were never part of Germany (i.e. Austria)?
>>
>>762262
Austrians are not Germans, that's why.
>>
>>762262
>and not Prussia
Because Prussia was just a kingdom within the German Empire like for example Bavaria, Prussia unified those states but she didn't annex them
>>
>>762269
Swallow your pride, Austria
>>
>>762269
Austrians are Germans.

Look at pre-WW1 demographic maps of Austria-Hungary and you won't see "Austrians" anywhere. Only Germans.

The Austrian national identity is based on "WE WUZN'T HITLER AND SHIEEET"(ironically enough) and as such started to exist after WW2. Earlier on their identity was similar to Bavarian one - as in - they are German but also Bavarians. So they were Germans, Southern Germans, but Austrian Southern Germans.
>>
>>762262
Prussia was only a state (the largest and most influent sure) of the reich.
>>
>>762262
IIRC, there was actually some sort of autistic caveat concerning the title of the monarch ("King of Germany" v.s. "King of the Germans" or something) as a result of this.
>>
>>762269
Yes we are. We're not part of the Federal Republic of Germany, however.

Look at how people in Central and South America are Americans, but they are not part of the United States of America.

This isn't difficult to understand.
>>
>>762295

The King Of Prussia was called "King In Prussia" during the HRE's existence because the King was only an Elector in lands contained wthin it.
>>
File: Andree48-2.jpg (1 MB, 1879x1434) Image search: [Google]
Andree48-2.jpg
1 MB, 1879x1434
>>762269
>t. austrian (ie german)
>implying austrians aren't any less german then bavarians or other south germans
>implying austrians didn't just cuck the balkans and hungary for a while and felt so angry after being force cucked into a hyper cuck republic
>implying austrians weren't totally for der grossgermaniums in 1935
Though Austria had a separate identity from the German empire for a little while it was only because of the Habsburgs infatuation with keeping the disgusting Frankenstein alive, pumping it with steroids and oppressing the slavs, that this Central European blob could survive for decades until it eventually collapsed from it's own autism and ability to fuck up everything.
>pic related
what the fuck were they thinking?
total assholes on a power trip.
>>
>>762303
Why were the Eastern parts of Prussia excluded from the Deutscher Bund?

By the way, I looked it up - the Kaiser was "German Emperor" as opposed to "Emperor of Germany"

Germans are funny.
>>
>>762262
Because it sprawled over the German Homeland?

Not to mention Austria had its own autistic state called Austria-Hungary and lost the fight of overlordship over all ze Germans?
>>
>>762309
nice shitpost, Giuseppe

spam "cuck" a few more times for maximum effect
>>
>>762329
t. Habscuck
>>
>>762269
Austrians have only seen themselves as a separate entity from Germans since WWII and some of them still don't. They are just a German state that did not join the federal union of other German states we know as Germany, and there is nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>762309
>le prison of nations
I hate people like you almost as much as people that regurgitate "christian dark ages" garbage.
>>
File: turkey.jpg (19 KB, 259x247) Image search: [Google]
turkey.jpg
19 KB, 259x247
>>762349
>cuck, cuck, cuck cuck cuck, cuck
>>
>>762319

Because they fell outside Germany's traditional homeland. They were acquired by force over time from Poland and pagan Baltic tribes.
>>
>>762329
Said cuck thrice, I guess you just can't keep up...
haha...
>not responding to any of my arguments
nice shitpost, Ferdinand
>>
>>762429
>shitposting is now making arguments
kek
see: >>762365
>>
>>762262
Because name of Prussia is from land that once housed Baltic pagans named "Prussians", which weren't Germanic people.
>>
>>762462

Most of the lands acquired by Prussia in what is now Germany were referred to as Prussia until 1871.
>>
>>762445
Didn't make the t. Habscuck post
Also Austrians are German. You have provided no proof thus far besides saying the opposite.
>>
>>762319
>Why were the Eastern parts of Prussia excluded from the Deutscher Bund?

They were outside the traditional borders of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation.

Same reason why Bohemia was included.
>>
>>762498
>Also Austrians are German.
Never said otherwise,.
>>
>>762445
>>762429
>>762349
>>762329
you virgins just communicate in unfunny references to 4cheddit culture constantly, get a life lol
>>
>>762565
I know right? Lol
>>
>>762608
haha glad im not the only one thinking that.
>>
>>762262
Because in answering the German question, Großdeutsche was favoured by Austria which was unification of all German peoples into a single unified state; Kleindeutsche was the solution favoured by Bismarck and Prussia; and we know how the Austrian-Prussian war ended.

There was also a third option which excluded both Austria and Prussia, but no one really took that solution seriously.
>>
>>762785
Also to add to this, there was the whole question about; if the Großdeutsche solution was enacted; what would you do about the rest of the Austrian empire and the myriad of non-German nationalities and ethnic groups?

Ultimately Austria was too diverse to be included in a German nation-state until its empire collapsed.
>>
ITT: Americucks: MY GREAT GREAT GRAMPA WUZ GERMAN N SHIT
>>
>>762822
Actually my Great Great Granpa will not say he was German: he'd say he was Bavarian.
>>
>>762837
Because he was a cuck
>>
>>762837
Bismarck died in vain
>>
>>762990
>>762917
People don't realize how much German unification was both 1) a Pan-German movement and 2) an artificial one.

My Great Great Granpa was one of the many people who were "patriotic" to his state. There were loads of them. He didn't give a shit to the "German Nation" because there was none for much of his life.

So when the Germans unified, he didn't see it as "yay, we nation now," but "FUCKING PRUSSIANS REEEE."

There's a reason why from 1860's to 1914 a grand total of 9 million Germans emigrated out of the unified state.
>>
>>763001
tfw Germany was just a Yugoslavia that managed to survive for a bit longer
>>
File: gopnik.jpg (59 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
gopnik.jpg
59 KB, 600x450
>>762822
>yfw
>>
>>762309
>It was just a prank, bro!
>>
>>762296
It isn't a good comparison, because South America is hispanic or indegious mostly, while the USA is mixed, and (well were) dominantly white.

Slavs on the balkans are a better comparison, same language, but different culture, national identity and religion.
>>
>>763009
Like Yugoslavia, there was religion involved. Bavarians for example resented Prussians for being Protestant and many of them promptly gtfo as they saw Prussian domination as the removal of Catholicism in Germandom,
>>
>>763001

That's bullshit. The German national movement was highly supported from the people, since it was the only way to secure freedom and prosperity in the face of an ever so powerful France. And when so many Germans were emigrating (it was only a quarter of that btw) it was because the population was exploding. At its peak prior to WWI, Imperial Germany had long surpassed even Britain in terms of living standards.
>>
>>763027
>same language
Of over 35 million South Slavs, about 19 million speak Serbo-Croatian. Both of you have made pretty terrible comparisons, to be honest.
>>
>>763138
ok but serb and croat are in a different country, they are similar but not the same, you get my point
>>
>>763067
>Implying I'm discounting the popularity of German National movement
Read the first line of my post, nigga.
>since it was the only way to secure freedom and prosperity in the face of an ever so powerful France.
And Russia.
And plenty of Germans had other ideas besides unification
-We could have a Confederacy!
-We should align with the Habsburgs!
-We should align with the Prussians
And all that.
>And when so many Germans were emigrating (it was only a quarter of that btw) it was because the population was exploding.
This was ever so the reality in Germany, but why was there a upspike in 1860? Seriously look it up.

Not saying unification WASNT popular. But was saying that there's a huge number of Germans that didn't like it for the Prussian factor. Catholics like Bavarians very much so.

This is why German Nationalism had to be batshit insane and loud: it's trying to maintain the image of a nation in a region where historically there was none.

Look up "Heimat" discourses nigga. It's all there.
>>
>>763138
Yes, but Bulgarians were never part of the whole Yugoslav project, it's pretty obvious no one was talking about them
And of the remainder, the difference between, say, Slovene and Serbocroatian is pretty comparable to Low German vs High German
>>
File: Karta slovenskih narečij.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2120) Image search: [Google]
Karta slovenskih narečij.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2120
>>763162
the other guy's comparison is plain retarded (comparing inhabitants of a continent to inhabitants of a country) but I guess your comparison is on point to some extent.

>>763171
There is quite a difference between the Serbo-Croatian dialects (Shtokavian, Chakavian, Kajkavian, Torlakian and their variations) and a lot of variation between the various Slovene dialects as well. You could make a split just inside the individual language (Serbo-Croatian or Slovene).
>>
>>762262
Because Metternich got his way
Then the Monarchs in 1848
And lastly Bismarck

rip proper unification
>>
>>762269
Yes they are
>>762262
Prussia was one state. The people around that area were all Germans
>>
>>763218
Of course, the same is true of the German languages. Low German split off from High German around 600 AD, though, like Slo and SCr, they formed a dialect continuum with practically endless variation. Slovene and SCr disintegrated considerably later, around 800-900, and were still mutually intelligible for a long time. In the 19th century it was still perfectly possible to use pan-nationalism to smooth over these (relatively) minor linguistic differences and declare everything one language (and the Yugoslav monarchy tried, too, declaring both Slovene and SCr a single "Yugoslav" language. More than anything else this sort of thing failed in Yugoslavia because it just started far too late, when the age of nation-building was already coming to a close.).
>>
>>763300
Well the divide started a long time ago as a combination of culture, religion and language. I can't really see how a unified nation could be created as during the 19th century, when pan-slavism was peaking, there were probably more opponents than proponents.
>>
>>762262
>Why was Germany called "Germany" and not Prussia when lots of Germans were never part of Germany (i.e. Austria)?
Why is it called an "empire"? Isn't it "realm"?
>>
>>764032
I guess it's because Kaiser is emperor in English and thus the Kaiserreich is an empire
>>
>>762565
>>762608
>>762758
all me :)
>>
>>763027
They're all multicultural, mutt nations. So it does fit.
>>
>>764032
Technically, it's "reach" (noun, not verb)
We call Germany "Germany" because the Latins called it Germania and introduced them to us first, by that name. The reason Latins call it "Alemania" or some derivative thereof is that the Alemans were the tribe introduced to them first. The name stuck to describe all German peoples.

Etymology is fun.
>>
>>764504
In Slavic languages it’s based on "Nemtsy", meaning "mute people", because they couldn't understand what the hell the Germans were saying.
>>
Reich in that context is consistently translated as empire.
Heiliges römisches Reich deutscher Nation
Holy roman empire of German nation
>>
>>764504
Where did Deutsch come from?

I could google it but you explain things better.
>>
>>764915
*the word Deutsch
>>
>>764915
Proto-Germanic "þiudiskaz", adjective form of "þeudō ", which literally just meant "people". So Germans are... the people, I guess. Exciting.
>>
>>764504
The irony was that it was named after the Germani tribes, which were actually Celts that settled around the Rhine, and not Germanics. It was actually the Franks iirc that started calling the area after the Alemanni.
>>
>>762262
Austrians and Prussians were both Germans. Austrians were leader of Germanic world up to their defeat by Prussians later on.

German however came to mean the inhabitants of Germany, so they are no longer identify as Germans.
>>
>>762309
So damn pretty.
>>
File: Poker-sm-212-Ks.jpg (501 KB, 1500x2100) Image search: [Google]
Poker-sm-212-Ks.jpg
501 KB, 1500x2100
Basically, the 19th century in Europe consisted of people abandoning the old notion of loyalty to your superior (up to the King/Emperor) and instead lining up behind "nation" banners and trying to get "nation-states" for them (i.e. clay).
Lots of people who spoke German (ignoring for a bit that Bavarian German is different from Swabian German is different from Plattdeutsch, etc.) lined up behind the "German" banner.
Bismarck fought the battles to unify the clay for the "German" people.
But the Austro-Hungarian Empire was still too strong for Bismarck to conquer.
So "Germany" went into WWI without the Germans from the areas now belonging to Austria, Czech Rep, and Slovakia.
WWI killed Austria-Hungary but the other powers still didn't want Austria to be part of Germany. So they kept them separate.
Hitler pulled off the unification of Germany and Austria, and later took the German parts of Czech Rep ("the Sudetenland").
But that meant that the idea of German-Austrian unification was forever tainted.
Hence after WWII they were parted again, and will probably be apart from this day forward.
>>
>>765075
>But the Austro-Hungarian Empire was still too strong for Bismarck to conquer.
This was the time when Austria-Hungary was engulfed in ethnic conflict. It wasn't too strong for Bismarck, he just didn't want Austria as part of the German Empire.
>>
>>764517
Except half of Slavs use "Germania" too you dumb twat.
>>
>>765311
He was correct. Even Russians, who call Germany "Germania", call Germans "Nemci".
>>
>>765311
but why are you mad
>>
>>762262
>Why was Germany called "Germany" and not Prussia when lots of Germans were never part of Germany (i.e. Austria)?

Because if its called Prussia, this means the rest were conquered, and thus should be liberated, which causes riots at home and tension in diplomatic relationships.
By calling it Germany, the rest arent conquered, more like they are restored to the united nation state they belong to and so on.
>>
>>765324
sorry
>>765318
I know, but the name of the country is still Germania, and we argue about its name, not about the name of its citizens.
>>
>>762262
It was almost never referred to as "Germany" in official channels of any nation. It was referred to as "The German Realm" "Reich" "Empire" or "Prussia-Germany", distinguishing it from the multinational Hapsburg, then Austrian, then Austro-Hungarian Empire. No one though of it as Germany whole, they thought of it as Hohenzollern, or simply the Empire.
>>
>>765448
Well it became Germany in 1990.
>>
File: dsghjhgdd.png (78 KB, 279x181) Image search: [Google]
dsghjhgdd.png
78 KB, 279x181
>>762262
spades a spade
>>
>>765450
Why in 1990?
>>
>>765450
territory /= political pretense
Its the Federal Republic of Germany now, "Germany" as a national/cultural/historical/lingual unit, is still only applicable as a political entity in the form of the Third Reich, because it was the only institution which had the pretense of grossedeutschland and total Unification.
>>
>>762262
Germans are too autistic to create a name for themselves
>we wuz romans who we killed, prussian whom we genocided and we probably would be poland as well if we won ww2 :DDD
i guess that goes for us too (russia) but to lesser extend
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.