[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What to call Byzantine/Eastern Roman/Romeika?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
What to call em?

http://strawpoll.me/5906074
>>
There was no break in continuity from the Roman Empire, and it's just a better sounding name than Byzantine.
>>
>>76212
>Romeika
m8, this means "roman (things)" or the Greek language
>>
>pick one
But they're all true.
>>
Byzantines were Romans
No two ways about it
>>
>>76400
Agreed, I know it's a Latinized term but Byzantium sounds better on the lips.
>>
>>76212
I call em

Basileia Rhomaion
>>
>>76400
Although conversely Byzantium sounds better than Constantinople.
>>
Empire of the Romans or Basileia Romaion
>>
>>76212
If Britain was overrun by the Nazis and only India remained, would you call India Britain? Roman empire was over when they lost control of Rome.
>>
It's too bad the name Romania was taken by the Vlachs. Would have been a great name for the East Roman Empire
>>
>>78685
The city of Rome lost most of its significance long before the Western Empire fell.
>>
>>76607
TIL. Rhomaion then
>>
>>78685
>If Britain was overrun by the Nazis and only India remained, would you call India Britain?

I would call it the Angrezi Raj.
>>
>>78685
you might call it britain-in-exile or something like that if key members of british government set up shop there.
>>
Byzantine is easier for us moderns to say than Eastern Roman Empire, but that's what they were. They were continuously Roman throughout. The only nation that could properly claim to be Rome after the fall of the WRE.
>>
>>76212
they were Romans that became more greek

they weren't old-fashioned latin romans anymore
>>
>>78685
That'd make sense if Constantine didn't move the Capital to Constantinople. Rome wasn't the heart of the Empire anymore by the time of the division.
>>
>>78685
Yes. Brazil was Portugal for a while during Napoleon.
>>
>>78685
It would be if the leaders were British and the people were culturally British and considered themselves as such.
>>
>>76212
I just call them the Eeyaree.
>>
Byzantines were kinda Roman. They were culturally closer to Greece, their capital was not in Rome, their religion was separate (after schism) from the Roman church in the Vatican.
Their origin was Roman, and they were in many regards Roman, but enough significant differences exist to consider it a separate entity. I prefer Byzantine to Rome because while they may have called themselves Roman, Byzantium reflects them better
>>
>>79025
Their religion was always separate from Western Rite Chalcedonianism, it's just that neither of them really pressed the issue until the eleventh century.
>>
They were Rhomaios, but not Roman.

/thread
>>
>>79077
Regardless, they were different enough from the west to be considered separate, which is why I prefer Byzantine to Roman
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.