[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 183x275
Hello /his/ can you help me dive into philosophy, I've been interested for quite a bit but I have no idea where to start or how to. Thanks
>>
>>956915
>where to start

WITH THE GREEKS
>>
>>956915
I'm currently trying to get into it too, I've been making a list and this is the beginning of it

o Intro Books
 The History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russel

o Background Books(not important in my opinion)
 Mythology
 The Odyssey
 The Iliad
 The Histories

o Pre-Socratic
 The First Philosophers ISBN-10: 019953909X

o Plato(428BC - 348BC)
 Meno
 Apology
 Crito
 Euthyphro
 Phaedo
 Symposium
 Timaeus
 Lysis
 Ion
 Republic
 Laws

o Aristotle(384BC – 322BC)
 Ethics
 Politics
 On Poetry
 The Organon
 Physics
 On the Soul
 Metaphysics
 Rhetoric

o Epicurus(341BC – 270BC)
 The Essential Epicurus ISBN: 0879758104
 On the Nature of Things ISBN: 9780674992009
>>
>>956965
Thanks a lot man!
>>
>>956915
There's also this https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
>>
>HOLY
>>
David Hume's "Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding" is a good one too. Pretty short, well written, relatively easy read, and it shook Kant from his dogmatic slumber. Good stuff!
>>
>>957279
id suggest descartes meditations first
>>
>>956965
A lot of those books are kinda unnecessary to read.
+ I don't suggest starting with a book heavily biased towards analytic philosophy.

This list is more of an introduction to history of Ancient philosophy than philosophy itself.
>>
>>958250
I can dig it.
Some Plato's good too. My favorite to read is Phaedo.
>>
File: 31795.jpg (31 KB, 276x475) Image search: [Google]
31795.jpg
31 KB, 276x475
>>956915
This book is arguably one of the best introductions to philosophy out there.

Bertrand Russell's book is good too, but I think Durant's history of philosophy is a better start if you're starting from absolutely zilch.

If you're looking to have a good overview of the big names and ideas, this is your book. Then you can start reading the actual works.

Plato and Aristotle are the best starts, though, honestly, there isn't really any particular order you *should* follow to learn about philosophy.
>>
Depends on what your aim is really.
If you want to read analytic philosophy then a bit of context is necessary I think before moving into twentieth century philosophers.

If your primary interest is continental then I'd say you can just start at Plato and move forward.

In terms of starting points for both, I'd recommend the Socratic dialogues, as well as The Republic from Plato, and The metaphysics by Aristotle. These provide a firm foundation for reference by later authors, as well as an introduction to quite a few important philosophic ideas.

From there I would skip ahead to Descartes, read his Meditations. After that, if you want to continue to other authors, like Kant, you should read Hume. He'll help contextualize people who come afterwards.

Descartes also opens the doors to other authors, like Leibniz and Spinoza.

Also, if you have an interest in Analytic philosophy, getting a good textbook on first order logic will take you a long way.
>>
>>958566
Same poster

I forgot to mention this. Depending on the fields of philosophy you're interested in you can also just look up an anthology of the specific topic and read from there. If for instance you know that you're a fan of metaphysics just find a collection of works. They tend to be organized in a fashion that assumes you have little to no prior knowledge of the field.
>>
>>958471
>an introduction to history of Ancient philosophy than philosophy
I'm sort of a pleb, are you referring to the "background books", because I did state I thought they were unnecessary.

I'm going for a "chronological order" approach, since I don't really care about any ideas in particular but more about learning about as many as I can. I'm not trying to encompass everything either, just the major works so if I added an unnecessary book I would like to know.

So would you say that >>958565 is a better intro?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.