[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Overrated general of WW2. Please back up with some proof.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: sdfffff.jpg (186 KB, 944x855) Image search: [Google]
sdfffff.jpg
186 KB, 944x855
Overrated general of WW2. Please back up with some proof.
>>
>>755589
>Please back up with some proof.
Operation Market Garden
>>
Market Garden alone is enough to indict him
>>
Patton.
>>
>>755589
Market Garden, Caen, barely managing to beat rommel despite rommel having no supplies and outnumbering him many times. He was also the reason the Russians beat the USA to Berlin, effectively causing the berlin wall.
>>
>>755589
The fucking trainwreck that was the "liberation" of Caen
>>
File: rubble of caen.jpg (73 KB, 793x800) Image search: [Google]
rubble of caen.jpg
73 KB, 793x800
>>755611
Don't forget how it ended, the city was nearly flattened by air strikes for monty to finally push in.
>>
>>755617
Man if I weren't about to pass the fuck out I would write up just how utterly retarded Monty's entire time in Normandy was. If this thread's still up late tomorrow I'll do that if nobody else beats me to the punch.
>>
>>755639
Preaching to the choir here, but I would love to read it regardless.
>>
File: montgomery.jpg (19 KB, 295x426) Image search: [Google]
montgomery.jpg
19 KB, 295x426
Monty was never beaten by Rommel

While monty was fighting germanys mobile reserves (5 ss panzer divisions) at Caen, Patton was able to outflank them with operation cobra-all according to monties plan

Ike ordered Market garden go ahead

Monty ignored orders and captured more of northern germany, stopping the soviets entering Denmark while Patton sat at the Elbe.

The German army surrendered to Monty
>>
>monty "quite possibly the most hated general in the entire british army prior to taking command" gomery
>>
>>755589
>not Douglas "what happened to the Philippines" MacArthur
>>
>>755589
Every success Montgomery achieved was thanks to Alexander. Prove me wrong.
>>
I can't remember where it was but I read something saying that Monty kept a bunch of photos of his waifu Rommel in his officr
>>
>>756398
>Monty ignored orders and captured more of northern germany, stopping the soviets entering Denmark while Patton sat at the Elbe.
>The German army surrendered to Monty
The reason the yanks stayed in southern Germany and lost all the honours for the capture of Berlin was so they could steal the shit out of the industrial heartland. They took over 7000 tons of scientific documents, and things like the US dye industry and other big changes after WW2 are directly based on material stolen from the Germans.
>>
>>755607

>let the Russians lose 100,000 men taking Berlin first
>this is a bad thing apparently
>>
>>755589
Rommel
>>
>>758449
>let the russkies have a propaganda victory as well as half of Germany
>this is a good thing apparently
>>
>>755607
How did he barely managed to beat Rommel when Rommel was completely BTFO Africa?
>>
File: image.png (87 KB, 464x599) Image search: [Google]
image.png
87 KB, 464x599
>>758455
>East Germany
>Half of Germany
>>
>>758455

>send 100,000 telegrams back home for a propaganda victory
>they get the shit half of Germany oh no
>>
>>756398
>all according to monties plan
yes but he was overly ambitious and thought he could take Caen in D-Day +1.

While his idea for operation overlord worked, he was always behind schedule and while that's alright considering nothing ever goes 100% according to plan, he kept telling allied high command that everything that WAS happening (i.e.; getting stuck in Caen, slow advance) was all going according to his plan.

Market Garden was a waste of resources. Had they actually cleared the Scheldt estuary as supposed to starting Market Garden, they would have had enough supplies to do a proper offensive and would have gotten similar results but with less casualties and waste of resources
>>
>>758465
you're forgetting silesia and prussia
>>
>>758465
I was talking about Prussia being given to USSR controlled Poland
>>
>>758456
Because Monty just organized his troops better and had the good grace of being in command when the situation in the Mediterranean was going well for the Brits.

So he was able to throw more men into battles and more resources and organized his units so that instead of playing to Rommels tune of maneuver warfare, his troops just needed to stay put and grind down the Germans
>>
>>758482
point of information: I am neither arguing for or against the idea that Monty BTFO Rommel, he just had the good grace of receiving more manpower and used it accordingly.

It is neither brilliant nor a show of stupidity.
>>
>>755598
>proof
>>
>>758482

Monty had less of a material advantage than Auchinlek had at Gazala. And he managed to figure out exactly where Rommel was going to break north with his armor and position his anti-tank guns right where they needed to be to shoot them to ribbons.

At the very least at the climatic battle of the Saharan campaign, he outmaneuvered and outweighed his adversary, he didn't just brute force it.
>>
Hating Monty is a meme. He had to be cautious in North Africa, if he had lost a decisive battle the strategic and morale consequences could have been the end of the war.
>>
>>758761
>end of the war.
well that's a bit dramatic
>>
>>755589
I feel conflicted, because while I am a Patton fanboy, realistically if I was in Monty's position I would make the same decisions.
Besides, he was the ultimate autistic, he would have done well here.
>>
Rasputin's cock is in a jar.
>>
File: glider.webm (3 MB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
glider.webm
3 MB, 640x359
>>755639
Don't forget the well strategically planned Market Garden
>>
File: 67f.jpg (53 KB, 679x657) Image search: [Google]
67f.jpg
53 KB, 679x657
>>758890
>glider crashes nose first
>tank goes through your sternum

Truly one of the forgotten horrors of WWII
>>
>>755589
>overrated [insert military related thing here] thread
>It's British

Why am I not surprised, /his/?
>>
>>758890
This is so fucking funny.
>>
>>758778
The end of the British war anyway. If they lost the Suez Canal it would have been all over for them, it was the artery of the empire.
>>
>>759931

Not the guy you're responding to but:

1) Even if Rommel won at El Alamein, it's still literally hundreds of miles to Suez, and your logistical troubles get worse with every mile, while the British's own logistical issues ease. He was at no point imminently threatening Suez.

2) It wasn't really the artery of the empire. The entry of Italy into the war closed off pretty much all British shipping in the Med, and even the threat of Italy joining the war led Britain to drastically reduce transport along that route in 1939.

What the theoretical fall of Suez would have accomplished isn't so much a crippling of British movements, but allowing the Italians to let their fleet out of the Mediterranean; which is definitely a plus for the Axis, but I'm not entirely sure one way or the other how big of an impact it would have. On one hand, those ships have pretty good guns and armor, on the other, they have a lot of bad soft factors, low cruising ranges, bad firing accuracy, just general unwillingness to aggressively fight. And you'd have to round the gulf of Aden before you can really menace important places like India, and that is easier said than done, it was pretty heavily defended.
>>
>>755607
He was also fine with ruining lives of people who were questioning his plans like Market Garden.
>>
>>755593
Why? It was 90% successful.
>>
>>759931
>If they lost the Suez Canal it would have been all over for them, it was the artery of the empire.
All British shipping went around Africa. And in any case the most vital routes for Britain was transatlantic.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.