[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me something about Agrippa. How important was he for Octavians
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 800px-Agrippa_altes_Museum.jpg (155 KB, 800x1105) Image search: [Google]
800px-Agrippa_altes_Museum.jpg
155 KB, 800x1105
Tell me something about Agrippa. How important was he for Octavians rise to power and ultimate victory? How was his relationship with Octavian? Why was he such a skilled commander?

Any good sources on him?
>>
On August 19th, 14 CE, Augustus died, and control of the Roman Empire passed to Tiberius. Around the same time, soldiers came to Planasia with orders to execute Postumus - orders that were carried out only after a terrific struggle.

In the aftermath of Postumus' death, an imposter arose claiming to be the exiled prince - he was apparently a slave named Clemens, who had accompanied Postumus to Planasia. After two years of this facade, Clemens was captured and executed by Tiberius. When he was brought into the emperor's presence, Tiberius supposedly asked him 'how did you become Agrippa?' Clemens replied 'the same way you became Caesar'.
>>
>>954583
Agrippa was the charismatic, military muscle to Octavian's not-very-inspiring-to-his-troops, political brains.
>>
>>954583
Speaking of Agrippa, what is the best biography of Octavian around?
>>
Augustus was the brains.
Agrippa was the brawn.

The two were inseperable to their recipe of success. Neither would've gotten as far as they did without the other.

Agrippa might've gotten pretty far on his own though. The dude was a talented general.
>>
>>954583
>How important was he for Octavians rise to power and ultimate victory?
Let's just say that without him, there's no way Octavian manages to rek Anthony.
Agrippa was one of the most talented generals of the era, probably Lucullus tier, and also rich and influent in Italy and with the macedonian legions, which allowed Octavian to raise his army to begin with.
>>
File: agrippa.jpg (5 KB, 189x267) Image search: [Google]
agrippa.jpg
5 KB, 189x267
he was very hot, no homo
>>
someone got any accurate soruces about his life?
>>
>>954607
>>954722
>>954741
These.
Aggripa was the sledge hammer behind Augustus' political ideals. They were inseparable friends, and a binary system of power
>>
In the final war of the roman republic, Agrippa virtually won the war before the battle of Actium, by taking Antony's main port of Methone, and then fighting his way up the Greek coast towards Epirus, where Octavian eventually crossed with his army

So quite a big contribution

He also beat Sextus Pompey in Sicily too
>>
>>954583
Octavian is noted as being barely "average" as a military leader. All of the military achievements, decisions, and almost entirely the majority of tactical or strategic victories gained by him were due to Agrippa.

Agrippa was the military genius, the guy who won the hearts and affection of the regular legionaries. When Agrippa died, it pained Augustus badly because not only were the two (along with their Estrucan Romanized friend) all childhood friends, but the closet of friends growing through the all the shit to the heights of power.
>>
>>954583
My spidey senses tell me you just want us to do your homework for you.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.