[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ancient Empires you wouldn't mind living under
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: Achaemenid_Empire_Map.gif (215 KB, 945x521) Image search: [Google]
Achaemenid_Empire_Map.gif
215 KB, 945x521
Ancient Empires you wouldn't mind living under
>>
well, it all comes down to who you are
pretty much anywhere in the whole world at any time it was good to be in the upper class, so that's not saying much
aside from that it's pretty much a matter of what is less shitty compared to the alternatives of the era
>>
>>75173
>pretty much anywhere in the whole world at any time it was good to be in the upper class
Pol Pot's cambodia
>>
>>75173
>pretty much anywhere in the whole world at any time it was good to be in the upper class

The French Revolution
>>
>>75199
every society has an elite of its own and the khmer rouge is absolutely no exception
>>
>>75173
>religious and cultural autonomy
>no heavy taxes
>no cultural imposition by the rulers (Persians)
Achaemenids were pretty far and away one of the most tolerant empires, I wouldn't mind being under them.
>>
File: Titus_Feelus.jpg (116 KB, 506x661) Image search: [Google]
Titus_Feelus.jpg
116 KB, 506x661
>>75112
Rome obviously
>ywn be a Roman citizen
>ywn laugh at the filthy plebs
>ywn have a qt3.14 Latin wife
>>
>>75430
>not ethnically Roman
>be a slave
Enjoy it
>>
>>75443
>not spawning after the edict of Caracalla
If I'm a free man, then I'm a citizen
>>
>>75443
Being born outside the city of Rome did not make you a slave.
>>
>>75665
Being a non-Latin and then a non-Italic would likely make you at best a second class citizen after the 1st century AD.
>>
>>75112
How was Alexander able to conquer that gigantic Empire anyway with only the resources of Greece and Macedonia to draw from??
>>
>>76278
As soon as the monarch of the already established Persian empire died, all the territory with its administrative structure transferred to Alexander.
>>
>>75112
tfw not living under the best Empire ever and dying for your Kaiser, feels bad man
>>
>>75723
I see no reason to believe that. I don't know of any evidence whereby non-Italians were treated as second class. So many non-Italians were patronized by emperors in the cultural pursuits, or reached high government positions. It's hard to imagine how the eastern senatorial aristocracy could have been treated as second-class citizens.
>>
>>76278
>>76430
Alexander never conquered all of Achaemenid Persia's entire conquests. He also did notably a LOT less in North Africa and Egypt then the Persians did.
>>
>>76714
Proof?
>>
>Byzantine Empire, before 1180
>>
>>75443
Roman slaves didnt have it that bad actually
>>
>>77535
Unless you were worked to death in the salt mines or were owned by a vicious master that would feed you alive to his pet eels.
>>
File: atlantis.jpg (46 KB, 600x431) Image search: [Google]
atlantis.jpg
46 KB, 600x431
>>75112

Atlantis, hands down:

>Low taxes
>Very low rates of disease due to good public health system
>Everyone has robot servants so you don't have to do chores
>Cheap, legal marijuana
>Free Wi-Fi
>Exciting horse races
>Coliseum fights: you can see political prisoners get raped to death by a wooly mammoth
>Women knew their place

What's not to love?
>>
>>77590
>What's not to love?
Not existing would suck
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.