[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trade people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: caravel.jpg (25 KB, 270x201) Image search: [Google]
caravel.jpg
25 KB, 270x201
idk why but I really love trade people and civilizations. Like anything from the Italians to the Somalis. I think that honestly trade people civ's are often forgotten throughout history, although trade is one of the biggest drivers of diversity and cultural exchange.
>>
File: sweat.jpg (38 KB, 600x568) Image search: [Google]
sweat.jpg
38 KB, 600x568
>>750339
>biggest drivers of diversity
>drivers of diversity
>of diversity
>diversity

triggered
>>
PAX VAN TIBI GELI MAR STA
A
X

V
A
N

T
I
B
I

G
E
L
I

M
A
R

S
T
A
>>
>>750357
I know "Diversity" is a bad word here but I don't mean it like that. I mean cultural exchange which is actually a healthy way to do it.
>>
>>750408
No excuses get the SJW out of my /pol/!

Go to /his/ or something
>>
>>750434
this is /his/
>>
>>750447
Yeah ok whatever you say Schlomo
>>
>>750339

trade is a driver of wealth and the idea of 'diversity' and 'cultural exchange' are very modern inventions.

people don't trade for these reasons. People trade for wealth. You are conflating things either because you have not thought the idea out or because you have an ideological bias.
>>
>>750495
yeah cultural exchanged never happened at all right? Cultural diffusion isn't a thing that existed and no ideas or religions were ever brought to distant places using trade.
>>
>>750495
Of course people don't trade for these reasons, but cultural exchange can be an outcome of trade.
>>
>>750518

Nobody has claimed or will claim that cultures don't exchange when they trade. They are literally exchanging things when they trade.

>>750526
It is incidental.

To both of you: looking at trade through a lens of cultural exchange will inevitably lead to incorrect understandings of the reasoning and patterns of trade because people do not trade to spread their culture.

If you are interested in aspects of cultural diffusion war is a far bigger driver than trade, historically.
>>
>>750495

Nobody said it was the reason for tradeyou fuckin dip
>>
>>750552

calm down enough to put in all the spaces between words m90 and try to read the post without projecting so hard.
>>
>>750526
>>750544
>It is incidental

But that's exactly what I wrote in my post? People trade to get wealth, but trade means contact with other people, which can lead to diffusion of ideas.

As for whether war is bigger driver of diffusion, that may be the case or it may not, but trade was incredibly important too and shouldn't be overlooked.
>>
>>750544
all I was saying is that trade nations get forgotten
>>
>>750563
How is he projecting? The person he's responding to should read the op.
>>
>>750567

you did not write that cultural diffusion was incidental
>>
>>750602
I wrote that diffusion is an outcome, not a cause of trade. How is that any different than saying its incidental?
>>
>>750602
Also, you are delusional if you think that trade hasn't played a huge role in the diffusion of culture. Look at Islam in Southeast Asia and East Africa, or Buddhism along the Silk Road, or the spread of the Greek alphabet in the ancient Mediterranean, etc.
>>
>>750629

I never said it didn't - you have created an argument that I did not make and are now destroying said argument. I hope you feel as smug as you sound arguing with yourself.
>>
>>750617

>How is that any different than saying its incidental?

this is how:

out·come
ˈoutˌkəm/
noun
noun: outcome; plural noun: outcomes

the way a thing turns out; a consequence.

in·ci·den·tal
ˌinsəˈden(t)l/
adjective
adjective: incidental

accompanying but not a major part of something.
>>
>>750653
or you could have quoted the second definition on Google "liable to happen as a consequence of (an activity)", which is exactly what I meant. Either way, I don't think we actually disagree, we're just having a circular semantic argument.

To get back to the topic of the thread, the Sogdians were pretty cool.
>>
>>750495
>>750518
>>750526
>>750544
>>750552
>>750563
>>750567
>>750578
>>750580
>>750602
>>750617
>>750629
>>750646
>>750653
>>750665
Shut up. You guys started a stupid argument, and don't even help OP at all
>>
>>750679
Bump for OP
>>
File: KISH_04_77.gif (25 KB, 723x478) Image search: [Google]
KISH_04_77.gif
25 KB, 723x478
Sorry for shitting up your thread OP.

The ancient Mediterranean was pretty interesting in terms of trade. Thanks to the Phoenicians and their trade routes, we have all the alphabets of Europe.
>>
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54922.The_Modern_World_System_I

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1968032.Origins_of_the_European_Economy

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/166255.The_Commercial_Revolution_of_the_Middle_Ages_950_1350
>>
File: Janjira Fort 3.jpg (389 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Janjira Fort 3.jpg
389 KB, 1024x683
The Indian Ocean is pretty underrated.
>>
File: eastindia.jpg (69 KB, 504x352) Image search: [Google]
eastindia.jpg
69 KB, 504x352
>>750339
>I think that honestly trade people civ's are often forgotten throughout history
WuT?
>>
>>750814
I think the Somali's are super underrated to be honest. they tricked the Europeans into thinking that Mir and incense came from east Africa so that they could make a killing letting it into the Mediterranean trade
>>
>>750823
but the east India trade company is just thought of as an extension of Britain which although was a trade state is mostly known for being an "Empire". when I talk about trade state I mostly mean like small trade states or merchant Republics that don't really exact imperial aspirations but instead are content with building "tall" instead of "wide". There's just something that draws me to Nations that are literally just there to sit and draw wealth
>>
>>750468
Kek
>>
If you like city states that focused on maritime trade, the zanzibar coast had examples of that. The coastal settlements were urban enviroments that made their living based off trade with the natives from the interior and then shipping it up along the coast
>>
>>750339
>diversity
Why is this objectively relevant?
>>
>>753078
We already had an argument that shit up the thread because of this. Just ignore it.
>>
File: Khotan King.jpg (24 KB, 250x499) Image search: [Google]
Khotan King.jpg
24 KB, 250x499
>>750339
The gr8est underrated trade civilizations are the so called Silk Route City states.

Basically: cunts that line up the silk route and survive via limited agriculture and trade.

Most were found by Indo-Iranians stretching from what is now Xinjiang, China and around the Ferghana Valley. Rogue Greeks cut off from the Seleucid Empire later added to the ethnic mix.

The most famous of these were the Dayuan (the Chinese name for the bunch of Greeks living in the city states of Marakanda and Alexandreia-Eschate), Sogdians, and the Kingdom of Khotan.

They're pretty diversely cultured as they are in a bukkake zone of Hellenic/Iranic/Chinese influences. Pictured is the Indo-Iranian Khotanese king. A Iranic looking man in Chinese clothing.

Various Turkics ended them during their westward migration and absorbed the cities within their Khaganates and stuff.
>>
>>753086
How involved were Tocharian peoples in the Silk Road trade? I would assume "very" just based on their location, but I rarely see them mentioned.
>>
>>753086
Great fking post anon. This is the kind of nuance I look for in history.
>>
>>753118

what did you expect? a tractate with pdf sauce?
>>
>>753107
The Tocharians were almost wiped out by the likes of Indo-Iranian people who replaced them there.
>>
>>753086
Under the various turkics, cities still functioned as trade-cities.

In fact Nomadic Turkic leaders made them their capitals, with the head clan settling in the city while others going about their nomad ways.
>>
File: Samarkand.jpg (623 KB, 1824x1400) Image search: [Google]
Samarkand.jpg
623 KB, 1824x1400
>>753364
Pic related being the most famous example
>>
>>753128
I don't know what that means, but I like the sound of it!
>>
>>750826
TIL that even ancient Somalis where tricksters
>>
>>750826
Your mistaken it does actually come from them, even today they export 80% of the world's mryth. You mistaken it with cinnamon and spices ,which they and the Arabs bought from sir Lanka aka Ceylon and sold it to the Romans.
>>
>>750679
Actually I am >>750357 and I just felt like shit posting and making /pol/ look bad.

I kinda failed didn't I?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.