[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a more boring history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: canada_flag.png (158 KB, 900x756) Image search: [Google]
canada_flag.png
158 KB, 900x756
Is there a more boring history?
>>
>>74512
What history?
>>
australia maybe
>>
>>74555
>what is the emu war
>>
>>74512
I found what I was tought in school about Canadian boring, but when I started studying the parts I wanted to myself, I found it much more interesting.
>>
>>74595
Tell me about the most historically relevant canadian you know
>>
Canadian here, and no, history of Quebec and the Metis Rebellion is pretty much the only noteworthy shit here, and even that compares to the history of the rest of the world.
>>
>>74512
The fact that its 400 years old probably has a big impact on why it has no history. Still in the top 5 countries to live in
>>
>>74636

that guy off due south
he fought crime and had a wolf
>>
File: 2000px-Flag_of_Botswana.svg[1].png (10 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Botswana.svg[1].png
10 KB, 2000x1333
>>74512
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botswana#History

Basically
>tribes
>british come
>tribes petition for autonomy
>granted
>tribes petition for self government
>granted
>it didnt go to shit
>there was mining during this.
>>
>>74636
>>
The French Conquest, the Fur trading, the constant wars against the Indians, The English Settlers, the 7 Years war, the change of Canada from majority of French to a British country, the American revolution, the loyalist migration to Upper Canada, the continues fight for responsible government, War of 1812, more fighting and debate for responsible Government, republican sentiment, the Lower and Upper Canadian Rebellions (This is very Quebec/Ontario focused right now), the granting of Responsible Government and joining of Upper/Lower Canada to create the Province of Canada, political deadlock for a good 20 years, confederation, expanding west, North West Rebellion, build a rail way from the Atlantic Sea to Pacific, building and populating a vast empty landscape continues till the Second Boer War, First World War, inter-war period and depression, Second World War, Korean War, Cold War, Iraq, Post 9/11, Afghanistan, and now we've reached today.

I find it kinda interesting
>>
>>74680
Botswana is literally the best subsaharan african country overall (excluding the nice parts of south africa, they don't count as africa) behind maybe Gabon.
>>
Everything until after the War of 1812 is pretty interesting. Even the War of 1812 is kind of boring. You got the canadian militia rather easily resisting the american invasion, then brits burn Washington D.C. After that, it's a bunch of boring shit.
>>
Switzerland must have a more boring history.
>>
>>76999
Checked.
In reality, they had a pretty interesting history until France and their allies forced them to swear to "eternal neutrality".
>>
>>74680
>>76414
Isn't Botswana the highest economy in Africa? I remember reading that they even surpass South Africa.
>>
>>74512
As a Canadian who has taken numerous Canadian history classes...

Canadian history gets interesting with the Boer War.
>>
>>77018
Wasnt that becuase they got their asses handed to them by the swiss, or is that a myth?
>>
File: Lester B. Pearson.jpg (13 KB, 220x311) Image search: [Google]
Lester B. Pearson.jpg
13 KB, 220x311
Find a flaw.
>>
History of Canada is pretty much the history of Ontario and Quebec.
>>
File: 1445378933680.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1445378933680.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
>>74512
Only thing interesting thing we got are some badass things in the world wars and some interesting battles in 1812 but that war hardly mattered.
>>
>>77871
Not a myth. Just a misconception, but it's not that far from the truth. The Duchy of Burgundy, which was a vassal state of France, got their asses kicked by them so hard they stopped existing after their disastrous war with the swiss. The Burgundian ruler died and the lands passed to France and the Habsburgs.
>>
>>74665
>Quebec

The only interesting bit is the Battle of the Plains of Abraham and maybe the Silent Revolution. Anglo-Canada at least has the Upper Canada Rebellion and 1812 going for us.
>>
Why is Canada so boring anyway? I like to imagine Canada is like USA's retarded younger brother. USA keeps Canada in the dark from the evils of the outside world, so they just live a peaceful but rather uneventful life while the USA handles all the shit.
>>
>>78137
Except French Canada also has the Lower Canada Rebellion and 1812 going for them.
>>
>>74512
Try being from New Zealand. We have the shitiest (real) war in the Maori Land War, and then us collectively wanking over the Maori Battalion and muh world wars
>>
>>78162
We actually imagine the Americans as the retarded ones.
>>
>>74669
>top 5 countries to live in

Doesn't deserve a place among Switzerland, Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway and the Netherlands desu.
>>
Hey, Canada, cheer up

Vancouver is in most major hollywood pictures

Just never, you know, as Vancouver

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ojm74VGsZBU
>>
>>78179
Lower Canada (Quebec) actually didn't do anything in 1812.
>>
>>77126
Botswana is actually pretty nice, the only major problem they have over there is AIDS and also having to deal with tons of refugees from the shitty countries that surround it. Also, Botswana has this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khOBsKum9DI
>>
I would only like to say that we have had more history than Australia or New Zealand.
>>
>>76414
Namibia is not so bad. They aren't anywhere near as much of a clusterfuck as SA is.
>>
>>78210
Except, y'know, get invaded. Much like Upper Canada. You could argue that they didn't do any real offensive actions against the americans, but this would also apply to the anglo-canadians as the brits did the campaigning in the U.S.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=84ErPZH8xRA
>>
>>77955
he has a stupid name
>>
>>78162
>>78186
Yeah seriously America is like the loud retarded brother we feel like we have to apologize for. It's also why we're so insulted when people think we're American cause it's literally like them thinking we're some annoying loud retard who shits themselves at the thought of change.
>>
>>74590
The one bright spot in a dim existence.
>>
We were too busy blowing natives the fuck out to have a proper history prior to the 20th century

The shit we did in WW1 was pretty cool though
>>
>>79400
VIMY RIDGE
>>
The Northwest Rebellion is interesting. And think about how much of an adventure those early French and Scottish explorers had when mapping this area!
>>
>>74665
I mean, the war of 1812 was something, I guess.
>>
>>76414
Yeah, nowadays for sure. RIP glorious Independent Rhodesia.
>>
File: Mulroney.jpg (18 KB, 220x308) Image search: [Google]
Mulroney.jpg
18 KB, 220x308
I've actually been reading up more on their federal elections of the past 40 years, it's amazing how the Progressive Conservative Party went from having a majority to losing every single one of its seats in 1993 and going into splinter factions.

Also that guy from that Quebec Party is kind of interesting although I don't know much about the whole Quebec independence movement.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.